Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip: Visit to Canada and the US - June 28-July 6, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if the appropriate place to post this but-

Saw this on a friends FB status! Made me laugh!

If you happen 2 meet Queen Elizabeth in Manhattan tomorrow, proper etiquette dictates YOU DO NOT CALL HER: Liz, Elizabeth, Queen or Queenie

I must get down to the Hockey Hall of Fame to see the new installation HM just unveiled. I love her new personalized jersey. LOL!!!

If you go before middle of September (I think, I know early September sometime), you'll also be able to see all but one set of the complete Collection of all the Olympic Medals that have ever been awarded. Both Summer and Winter Olympic Games.

It's on loan from the Intl Olympic Committee's Museum and was supposed to go back in February, but the HHOF managed to renegotiate the length of the loan. However, there is one very huge gap/missing set from the Collection and that would be the set from Vancouver!!

They're still the property of the Royal Canadian Mint and the Mint wanted them back. Kind of stupid I think (and petty in a way), but the HHOF had no choice. Since the IOC has not accepted them into the Collection yet and they're still the property of the RCM, they had to go back to Winnipeg.

Anyway...If you get a chance to go before the Exhibit goes back to Switzerland, GO!!! It really and truly is something to see.

Her Majesty looked to really be enjoying her visit to RIM today. I just have a problem seeing her using a Blackberry for some reason. It's just...I don't know, and pardon me if I put my foot in my mouth, but she just seems so above having to use one of those things and I mean that in a very good way. In the way that she's got far more important things to be doing, and she certainly does as we all know, than texting away on a Blackberry.

And on that note...I need to go to bed before I shove my very big foot any further into my mouth. ;)

Queen Elizabeth stands with Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper after unveiling an exhibit for the Hockey Hall of Fame featuring a hockey jersey with her royal crest before a state dinner in Toronto July 5, 2010: Image gallery

Queen Elizabeth II gives a speech during a dinner at the Royal York Hotel on July 5, 2010 in Toronto: Image gallery

More pictures: Image gallery

Lots of maple leaves on the Queen's dress tonight. I found a wonderful article about it:

Queen wears 'recycled' dress to banquet in Toronto

. . . The seamstresses removed the images of the birds from the tulle lace that features sea pearls and sequins and stitched dozens of Swarovski crystals on to it.
As a tribute to Canada - one of the Queen's realms - the crystals formed maple leafs both large and small running up the dress's right sleeve and shoulder. Queen wears 'recycled' dress to banquet in Toronto - Telegraph

Video clips from earlier today:

Queen tours RIM headquarters
Queen unfazed by blackout - also has footage from the dinner, the RIM tour (during which the Queen was given a Blackberry), and Pinewood studios

Does anyone know what time the queen will be speaking at the UN and if any media outlet will have a live stream on the Internet of the speech?

Someone posted on the British Royals Message Board that HM is scheduled to speak at 3 PM and it will be carried on CSPAN. Not sure how reliable the information is, but that is what was posted. :)

:previous:
Also try the United Nations Webcast UN Webcast At 2:45 p.m. (New York time) General Assembly: 105th meeting. Address by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on Channel 3.

Lots of maple leaves on the Queen's dress tonight. I found a wonderful article about it:
Thats quite a canny piece of PR by BP in these troubled times, cleverly releasing details of HMs "recycling" of her dress from T&T for use in Canada. Who said the men is grey suits did not know a thing or two of managing the press?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen speaks at the UN, goes to Ground Zero, then to Hannover Square and then to JFK - at least that's how I understand it. I will try to head down to Ground Zero. I think that's the best place to catch a glimpse of her. Hannover Square is rather small and at the UN her car will drive into a secure enclosure. Any other New Yorkers thinking along these lines or have a better idea? Of course, it's hot as hades here today. I may cop out and watch it on tv.

I'm in NYC, I think Ground Zero is your best shot at getting anywhere near the Queen. I'm staying in the air conditioning and will hope to see it on TV later today.

Yes. The a/c sounds like a winner. I wonder what time she'll be at Ground Zero?

OMG! Had an exchange with HM this morning!! I'll post some photos once I have sufficiently recovered from the experience. LOL

Post them soon please! Even I'm excited to see them.

OMG! Had an exchange with HM this morning!! I'll post some photos once I have sufficiently recovered from the experience. LOL

Can't wait to see your pictures and hear all about it bweir.

I so wish I could have bopped down to Toronto for the visit, but I'm still paying off my annual Spring visit for Stars on Ice at the ACC, so it just wasn't a doable thing for me. Hope she's back somewhere in Ontario for that promised Diamond Jubliee visit and it's somewhere I can get to!!

The Queen speaks at the UN, goes to Ground Zero, then to Hannover Square and then to JFK - at least that's how I understand it. I will try to head down to Ground Zero. I think that's the best place to catch a glimpse of her. Hannover Square is rather small and at the UN her car will drive into a secure enclosure. Any other New Yorkers thinking along these lines or have a better idea? Of course, it's hot as hades here today. I may cop out and watch it on tv.
That's why I ducked out... my family was like "it's too hot in New York." Oh well. I watched the speech on tv, on CNN. I'm always amazed when I see her talk. I don't know what it is about her, she just has this charisma, plus she and my grandmother always looked like twins -- so it reminds me of my grandmother when I see her. I loved her speech. It was truly inspiring. Long live the Queen!

Queen Elizabeth addresses the General Assembly of the United Nations (UN) in
New York City, USA, 06 July 2010. As head of state of the United Kingdom and
15 other UN members, Queen Elizabeth last addressed the UN General Assembly
in 1957, calling for world peace and human rights.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** gettyimages gallery ** belga gallery **

". . . As a tribute to Canada - one of the Queen's realms - the crystals formed maple leafs both large and small running up the dress's right sleeve and shoulder. Queen wears 'recycled' dress to banquet in Toronto - Telegraph"

maybe this is why she didn't wear her canadian orders, as mentioned in an earlier post.

Question, who is the lady who was sitting next to the Prince during the Queen's speech? I saw her walking behind the Queen when she opened Parliament. Is this her lady-in-waiting?

What an incredible trip this has been for us all to witness! God Save The Queen and Prince Philip! Long may they continue to be such awe inspiring role models to all of us! :bow:

Great amounts of personal thank you's to all of you who have shared links, photo's and personal stories with all of us. :flowers:

And to bweir... what an amazing week this has been for you! Thank you for sharing with us. These latest pictures took my breath away!

Do you happen to have a photo showing the boy (Canada Cap) and girl (teal dress) among the children presenting flowers to Her Majesty at St. James? They're my neice and nephew and I don't have a photo!

Thank you

I saw the Queen on TV wearing the 3-D glasses. She looked really good in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom