Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip: Visit to Canada and the US - June 28-July 6, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
June 30 - Pictures from Day 3

Queen Elizabeth meets with Prime Minister Stephen Harper at Rideau Hall.

Meeting with the PM

Queen Elizabeth unveils a cast that will be used to create a bust of herself, at Rideau Hall.

The Queen with Speaker of the Senate Noel Kinsella as she unveils the Diamond Jubilee Design during a ceremony at Rideau Hall. The actual stained glass window will be installed in the foyer of the Senate on Parliament Hill.
It commemorates the only two monarchs in Canadian History to celebrate their Diamond Jubilee, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II.
Photo 1
Photo 2

Queen Elizabeth unveils a statue of Canadian jazz pianist Oscar Peterson at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa.
Photo 1
Photo 2

Queen Elizabeth II meets Sky News broadcast journalist Paul Harrison as she attends a garden party at Government House. The Queen gave Paul Harrison's father, also a journalist, a lift home on the Royal Plane 37 years ago so he could attend the birth of his son during a Royal tour of Canada.
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

More pictures from the Garden Party: Image gallery

From the visit to the Canadian Museum of Nature: Image gallery

Princes Philip from the visit o the Canadian Museum of Nature
Photo 1
Photo 2

Two more lovely photos:
Photo 1
Photo 2

Last edited:
I'm quite surprised that the British Newspaper aren't covering this story that much.
Only the telegraph has 5 or 6 articles.

Congratulations! You are so lucky to have done that - and your pictures are excellent.

The Queen's visit made Australian TV this morning, which makes a nice chnage from the ignorance of royalty that we are forced to suffer through.

That's not really so. Anything of interest or importance concerning the Queen or the royal family always makes the news here. Be it on the TV or newspapers.

It's just me, or these pictures are better than usual? Or maybe it's just the Queen that looks so striking during this visit... :flowers:
In any case, I'm saving every single picture on my computer.

Anyone know if today's events are being streamed on the internet?

And I was shocked watching a report and seeing the 89 year old prince philip and 84 year old queen going up a long set of stairs like nothing. Although it did look like the prince is in even better shape than the queen considering he's almost 90. The queen did kind of look up like thinking "when are these steps going to end" lol. May they have many more years in such health!

Today's event is being streamed online here.

Her Majesty did look amazing today in Canadian colours. Kudos to the speech writer for putting in a mention of Sidney Crosby's Gold Medal Hockey winning goal in her speech. If anything would produce a cheer from the crowd, that did it!! :D

Peter Mansbridge was chuckling over the Barenaked Ladies being there and The Queen's possible reaction to them. As my Mom remarked, she's got Grandchildren. She's more than likely heard about them long before now. LOL!!!

Joannie looked wonderful, especially after the packed few months she's put in w/touring and personal appearances. Although, I'm sure she never expected w/all of the requests she's gotten by people to touch her Olympic Medal that Her Majesty would be one of them. What a moment for her!!

I've been watching Joannie for close to ten years now, so it's the feeling of a big sister watching a little sister when it comes to stuff like this for me and any of our current figure skating team members, so...Yeah, that was a moment for me today. :flowers:

And the third time was the charm for the Snowbirds!!! It wouldn't be Canada Day w/out them doing The Canada Burst over The Hill after all. All these years of seeing them and it still gives me the chills watching them thunder over...Well...Anywhere. Even if it's only on TV. ;)

What a day it was. Happy Canada Day Everyone!!! :flowers::flowers::flowers:

And I was shocked watching a report and seeing the 89 year old prince philip and 84 year old queen going up a long set of stairs like nothing. Although it did look like the prince is in even better shape than the queen considering he's almost 90. The queen did kind of look up like thinking "when are these steps going to end" lol. May they have many more years in such health!

I understand that they use the stairs all the time at Buckingham Palace, so it must keep them in good shape!

As usual the Queen did not disappoint us today when she gave a speech in Ottawa to capacity of thoudsands of people for our National Holiday Canada day. She was dressed in red with a white hat- and red flower- trdaitional pearls etc..Prince Philip still looked dashing... The crowd was enthralled;Many kind thanks to Her Majesty and Happy Canada Day!

Here are some of my photos from this magnificent afternoon. Click on the photo of HM watching the flypast with the (remaining) Barenaked Ladies. LOL

The red dress surprised me. It didn't seem like her color. Then I realized that with the white hat & pearls, she's in the national colors!

bweir your photos are wonderful.
The Queen looked amazing and managed to stand out in a sea of red and white.

Here are some of my screen caps:
Image gallery

The Queen also sat down for a portrait today, for her Diamond Jubilee. I heard on one of the broadcasts that she will be returning to Canada to mark the occasion.

Here are a couple of news clips from the CBC:
Celebrating Canada Day
Royal flower girls
Queen's Canada Day message

Once again bweir congrats on getting to see The Queen. your pictures are great, she certainly looked wonderful today!

btw Humera did you rip the show or are those caps ones you took while it was airing live?

btw Humera did you rip the show or are those caps ones you took while it was airing live?

I watched it live. I was hoping the CBC would have archived it on its site by now but they haven't unfortunately. I missed the first half of the show.

I watched it live. I was hoping the CBC would have archived it on its site by now but they haven't unfortunately. I missed the first half of the show.
Same here I don't understand why they haven't put it up yet hopefully tomorrow. I missed the second half. I was really tired and fell asleep during the second half.

Here are some of my photos from this magnificent afternoon. Click on the photo of HM watching the flypast with the (remaining) Barenaked Ladies. LOL

Ahhh--how did you get such good pictures?! You must have been right on the Hill.

I stood along Wellington Street yesterday waiting for the Queen to come by in the carriage. As I was waiting, I realized the carriage would probably come down the right side of the road and I was on the left...but at that point it was too late to move. I did get one picture of the Queen and Prince Philip going by in the carriage, but I don't have internet at home right now, so I can't post it.

Later on I met up with a friend who must have been near where you were, bweir. She said she just got lucky...was on the right side of the road as the Queen passed by, and then went up on Parliament Hill where she could see the Queen on the stage.

I did also get pictures of the Queen's standard flying above Parliament Hill--not a sight you see every day!

After the Canada Day ceremony yesterday, I can say that the Queen still has a lot of support in Canada. Thousands of people were lined up excited to see her. You could just see everyone's faces light up as she came by in the carriage. As my friends said, the Queen is one of a kind. I also have to say, after seeing her in person, she is really a beautiful lady. Also, I know she's "expected" to smile, but her smiles in Canada looked genuine--I have to think she really does feel, as she said, "at home" in Canada.

Queen has ‘magnificent sense of humour,’ Ignatieff says

Turns out the Queen is a riot.

The 84-year-old’s speaking style is scripted and staid in public, but Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff says Queen Elizabeth is quite funny in private.

. . . Speaking with reporters afterward, Mr. Ignatieff said the two “laughed a lot” over the course of a half hour.

“I have to be discreet. She’s the Queen. I can’t share what she said other than to say she has a magnificent sense of humour and sense of the absurd,” he said.

. . . The closest the Queen came to cracking a joke in public Friday was when she noted, just before meeting Mr. Ignatieff in the drawing room, that “the groundhogs were busy” in the gardens around the Governor-General’s residence.

Queen 'an absolute joy': Ignatieff

Before the Liberal leader entered the large drawing room at the Governor General's official residence, the Queen casually mentioned that she had seen groundhogs running around the Rideau Hall grounds the previous evening.

It was Ignatieff's second meeting with the monarch who, with Prince Philip, will make a whirlwind trip to Winnipeg Saturday before flying to Toronto to take in the Queen's Plate on Sunday.

Pictures of the meeting:
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4
Photo 5

She really does have "majesty," which is really something in a lady who's so small. It's sad seeing her stopping more as the years go by, but she still has that wonderful smile and glow.:flowers:

I also have to say, after seeing her in person, she is really a beautiful lady. Also, I know she's "expected" to smile, but her smiles in Canada looked genuine--I have to think she really does feel, as she said, "at home" in Canada.

Hi all,

I probably won't be able to post the links to any of the live feeds for the rest of the visit as they become available, but if you go here, they are usually accessible in the "Latest Video" section on the right-hand side of the page. The events for today, July 3rd, start a little after noon Central time (1:00 PM Eastern and 6:00 PM BST).

1. A couple of news clips from CTV: video - click on this link and you'll see footage of the Queen arriving in Winnipeg, leaving Ottawa

2. A short video clip of the Queen meeting with opposition leader Michael Ignatieff: Thestar.com - VideoZone

Last edited:
Queen greeted by stifling humidity in Winnipeg - The Globe and Mail

Winnipeg's unfinished airport terminal had a royal christening this afternoon as Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh arrived as the building's first official passengers.

While the building will open to the public this Fall, selected guests were given a sneak peak of the sleek new facility timed for her majesty's arrival.

Hectic schedule awaits Queen after royal entourage lands in Toronto - The Globe and Mail

Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh landed in Toronto Saturday evening, the last stop on their whirlwind Canadian tour.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty, federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, Ontario Lieutenant-Governor David Onley and other officials greeted the Queen and Prince Philip at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport. Their last visit to Toronto was in 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom