Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip: Visit to Canada and the US - June 28-July 6, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen looks striking today. Love the white and black combo. The bow design really works for her too.

The Celebration of Nova Scotia, attended by the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, will be webcast live here at 8:00 PM local (midnight BST and 7:00 PM Eastern).

W/Family in the Military and Uncles and Aunts and Cousins as WWII Vets, I've been attending Military Events since I was a wee little thing, so watching the Intl Fleet Review was such a treat. Only thing that was missing was my Dad, as he had a Kidney Clinic appt this afternoon and my DVR is on the fritz, so no copy of it in this house. Which is a shame, as Dad would have loved, loved, loved to have seen this.

I'm on Dial Up due to being in Rural Canada, so no streaming video available to me sadly.

It was something to see HMCS St. John's go past HMS Ark Royal. Our Frigate looked like a little toy boat next to that gornomous (Yes, that's a word!! ;oD ) Aircraft Carrier. Oh and if anyone has a chance to see the show that Discovery Canada produces called Mighty Ships, keep an eye open for the episode about the Danish Flagship HDMS Absalon. She was there today in Halifax Harbour as part of the Fleet Review and she's quite the ship. I was actually shocked by the level of access they gave to the Discovery Canada film crew, nothing sensitive of course, but it was still a pretty amazing look into the Flagship of the Danish Navy.

Also kudos to the CBC for getting the Cdn Naval Captain they had as a techincial advisor. He was amazing and loved listening to his stories he shared of serving around the World. I was wishing the coverage could go on longer just to hear him talk more. As someone who lives on the Great Lakes, I wish he'd talked a bit more about being a part of The Great Lakes Deployment and going through the St. Lawrence Seaway. It sounded from what he told us that it was the highlight of his Naval Career. It was also facsinating to me to hear about the new challenges of sailing up North. W/the Ice Cap melting, the currents are changing w/the melding of the fresh water coming from the melted ice w/the salt water of the Ocean.

Can you tell I really enjoyed listening to this guy? :eek:D

I also join in the kudos to the Captain and Crew of HMCS St. John's for their Parallel Parking abilities. I can't imagine just how hard a berthing that had to be for them, and of course they're professionals, but....I know people who can't do that in a car on land, forget a mult billion dollar Frigate at sea!! Awesome Job!!

Her Majesty and His Royal Highness looked like they were greatly enjoying their day. To me though, my favourite moments at something like this is always is seeing The Queen w/the Veterans. She was their Princess after all and she's a Veteran as well. Our main commentator was saying it must be something for Her Majesty to see/meet women in Today's Miltary, as she served herself during WWII. She was among those first Female Members of the Military to be more than a Nursing Sister, so she must be so proud when she's introduced to someone like the Commander of the St. John's who is also the first female Commanding Officer of any serving war vessel of the Canadian Navy. Not the St. John's, but you know what I mean. I hope. :eek:)

The poor Snowbirds. Grounded. Again!! They must be hoping the third time's the charm and for clear skies on Thursday for the fly past over Parliament Hill on Canada Day. Speaking of that...I learned at the Figure Skating MB I belong to that the Queen of Canadian Figure Skating will be meeting Her Majesty on Thursday, as Joannie Rochette will be part of the Concert/Ceremonies on The Hill. Joannie was at The G20 First Ladies Brunch on Sunday at the CN Tower and seated at/beside Michelle Obama. She was one of the Canadian Ladies of Distinction invited. What a week Joannie's having though. First Michelle Obama and on Thursday, Her Majesty The Queen. Can't wait to see her Thursday. :)

I'll have to check Nova Scotia CBC on our dish to see if they'll be showing the Gala.

What an incredable, incredable day though!! As I said to Mom, the only way I can describe what the aerial shots of the Harbour looked like was like looking at all of those archival footage of the Convoys getting ready to leave for England during WWII, only in colour and far more modern ships.

God Bless my Canadian Navy and to another Hundred years and more!!!

Such a shame the weather has not been very good for the Queen

Here's the gettyimages gallery without watermarks again:

** Queen Elizabeth II Visits Canada - Day 2 **

I have to admit that I had to look twice when first seeing the
black and white dress with the ribbons - but she can even
wear something fancy like that..:)

I think that the outfit is in navy and white, which is a witty combination for the centenary of the Canadian Navy.:flowers:

I have to admit that I had to look twice when first seeing the
black and white dress with the ribbons - but she can even
wear something fancy like that..:)

One of the photos I saw showed the Canadian Royal Standard flying from a naval ship. What a pretty flag that is. Too bad we don't get to see it more often.

Such a shame the weather has not been very good for the Queen

actually the weather was excellent for the fleet review yesterday....overcast. had it been sunny it would have been hot and humid. the rain on the day of the arrival was a let down thoughl

HM and the DoE will be on parliment hill in ottawa for canada day. what a treat to have them here for our birthday!!!!

The Queen has looked superbly put together thus far. So resplendent.

I will confess I found the 'it's good to be home' line a tad unusual, though I understand very well the sentiment behind it. The truth is though that most Canadian's don't consider the Queen Canadian just as most Australian's would never call the Queen Australian, nor has she referred to herself as being one. The Queen, to my knowledge, has never referred to this continent as 'home', and she is no less our Queen than she is that of Canada. The royal favourite across the pond perhaps?...hehe ;)

It's well known that the late Queen Mother had a fondness for Canada and the Queen herself seems to speak of it every time she comes to visit.

One of the photos I saw showed the Canadian Royal Standard flying from a naval ship. What a pretty flag that is. Too bad we don't get to see it more often.
The Queen's Royal Standard for Canada

Attachments

• UK Elizabeth II Canada.gif
    UK Elizabeth II Canada.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 210
Yes the Queen was referring to the fact that her late mother often called Canada a "home away from home," thereby implying that she also considers it a second home, as was noted in some of the newspapers. One of the experts in the special report mentioned that Canada is the most visited commonwealth nation.
Queen Elizabeth II is genuinely liked by Canadians, whatever their feelings about the monarchy. So it's not really about her being "Canadian".
The special report from Day 1 had some wonderful clips (beginning of the show) from her past visits and they really impress upon one how she has been a witness to some very significant events in Canadian history. The repatriation of the Canadian Constitution, for example, which she presided over during a visit in 1982. It is known that she took personal interest in the constitutional debate. I think that for many she represents a link to our past.

It's well known that the late Queen Mother had a fondness for Canada and the Queen herself seems to speak of it every time she comes to visit.

Today's events are being streamed online here.

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to give a bouquet to HM this afternoon when she and HRH unveiled a statue honouring Oscar Peterson at Ottawa's National Arts Centre. Click on HM below for a whole gallery:

I was reading the Daily Mail online last night, and they changed the quote. So I wonder what else they're changing in their reporting of royal events?:lol:

I will confess I found the 'it's good to be home' line a tad unusual, though I understand very well the sentiment behind it. .

Oh bweir...I'm so envious!! Will have to look at your pictures a little later tonight as I'm about to head off into the Rec Room for my nightly Stationary Bike ride and then my nightly ride on the Eliptical Machine.

Were you able to have a chat w/Her Majesty or did you only have the chance to give her your flowers. Regardless, so envious of you and WTG!!! :)

Beautiful pictures bweir! Thanks so much for posting them for us. What a wonderful day you must have had!

Those are lovely pictures, bweir. I`m going down to Parliament Hill tomorrow, also with my camera.:)

I was browsing Getty Images for pictures of the Queen`s visit and came across a few of her with Prince Philip that I had to share. I don`t think I`ve ever seen them so intent in conversation with each other before!
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

I find it quite sweet that after nearly 63 years of marriage, the Queen still seems so interested in what Philip is saying. :lol: Not quite sure what to think of Philip`s expressions, however...

I will confess I found the 'it's good to be home' line a tad unusual, though I understand very well the sentiment behind it. The truth is though that most Canadian's don't consider the Queen Canadian just as most Australian's would never call the Queen Australian, nor has she referred to herself as being one. The Queen, to my knowledge, has never referred to this continent as 'home', and she is no less our Queen than she is that of Canada. The royal favourite across the pond perhaps?...hehe ;)

When Queen Elizabeth first visited Canada with Philip five hundred thousand people turned out to greet the couple. So I think she maybe referring to the fact that she has always been well received here and that she is accorded respect and deference that borders on a genuinely distinct affinity felt by the people for her and Philip..If part of her heart is here then it is' "Home" away from home etc.The Queen discovered she was pregnant with Andrew while here in 1960 so she has had some moments with the nation and what has happened to her.The Queen Mum had one of her most successful visits abroad with her trip here in 39. Elizabeth and Philip are one of the most if not the most successfully married pair of royals ever.The Queen is elegant and well heeled as usual and the Prince still dashing - God Bless them.

I had the opportunity to give a bouquet to HM this afternoon when she and HRH unveiled a statue honouring Oscar Peterson at Ottawa's National Arts Centre. Click on HM below for a whole gallery:
Gah! So jealous you got to meet Her Majesty! Congrats! Hopefully she'll visit us in Vancouver for her Diamond Jubilee

I had the opportunity to give a bouquet to HM this afternoon when she and HRH unveiled a statue honouring Oscar Peterson at Ottawa's National Arts Centre.

Congratulations! You are so lucky to have done that - and your pictures are excellent.

The Queen's visit made Australian TV this morning, which makes a nice chnage from the ignorance of royalty that we are forced to suffer through.

Thank you for your beautiful pictures, bweir! :flowers: I think that she's a beautiful woman anyway, but she's outstanding in that blue outfit.:wub:

I was unable to watch the Day 3 events live but here are some wonderful news clips:

• wonderful clip from the CBC's The National: video - interesting fact, tomorrow will be the Queen's 7th Canada Day in Canada.
  • a collection of news clips from CTV: video - they cover various aspects of the Queen's visit. One of them touches on the "its good to be home" comment by the Queen. The expert from Burke's Peerage mentioned a reception she hosted in the US as Queen of Canada and said "I'm going home to Canada tomorrow." He also mentioned that the Queen mother wore a Maple leaf brooch throughout WWII; some wonderful royal links to Canadian history.
Thousands of people turned out to see the Queen in Ottawa today, young people in particular and lots of children. She also hosted a garden party in Rideau Hall.

The Governor General's website has pictures and some videos as well: 2010 Royal Tour - Home

Looking forward to tomorrow's celebration on Parliament Hill!

bweir, your pictures were fantastic and thank you so much for sharing them w/us.

Don't forget that the CBC will be covering tomorrow's events on The Hill starting at Noon EST!!

And since it's already past midnight here...

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom