Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip Reducing Workload (2016 Patronage Handover)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

royal-blue

Courtier
City
Balmoral
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago there were a number of news articles about the Duke of Edinburgh "winding down" and taking things easier after his 90th birthday. He gave up a few patronages at this time but has he continued to do this? I believe he still has 700 patronages.

It are 800 patronages even. It may be clear that the bulk means nothing more than attaching a royal name to a club or charity. The National Club Of Ye Olde Cheddar Cheese Lovers. Patron: HRH The Duke of Edinburgh. That is all. Most likely the Duke will not even know what patronage nr 537 is and patronage nr 773. Maybe something with the preservation of church owls and probably something with the officers' mess at RAF Coningsby Airbase? The good man will most likely have no idea...

I don't get the impression that prince Philip is winding downn, on the contrary, he seems to be doing well and even too much for his age! I also don't think that handing over a patronage or two is a mark of slowing down!

Well, IMHO Prince Philip is going to have to wind down his public life at some time in the next five years. He will be 100 years old in 2021, if he is still with us. He is doing marvellously well now but I don't think anyone would expect a man of that age to continue performing hundreds or even dozens of public duties per year. Philip already performs a great many of these, charity lunches, military dinners etc indoors at one or another of the royal residences like Windsor and BP.

If Charles intends a royal family of just himself, Camilla, the Cambridges and Harry (and spouse) then the vast majority of Philip's charities, the Order of Norfolk Bird Watchers, Ye honourable Devon cream churners etc will have to do without a Royal patron as I can't see these being handed on. The most important will be, however and, as Charles's diary is jam packed now, the Cambridges and Harry will no doubt be the recipients.

When Kate took over the patronage of the RAF Cadets, the press release from BP read -

'His Royal Highness became Air Commodore-in-Chief of the Air Training Corps in 1953. The Duchess of Cambridge will become Honorary Air Commandant of the Air Cadets.

As announced in 2010, The Duke of Edinburgh intends to stand down from a number of patronages with which he has been directly associated. His Royal Highness remains Patron or President of 780 organisations or charities.

There are no plans for The Duke to step down from a large number of organisations with which he is associated all at once. The reduction in the number of HRH's patronages will be gradual and in consultation with each organisation concerned.
'

So like most things with the BRF, it's all being looked after

Last edited:
I think some his patronages are one off, i.e,

50th anniversary of XYZ.
25th Jubiliee events
50th Jubilee events
or ceremonial.

He has lots of associations that are not charities where he is just an honorary member.

Organisation name: City of Chicago
Member of the Royal Family:The Duke of Edinburgh
Patronage title:Honorary Citizen
Region:Rest of world
Purpose: American city.

Organisation name:City of Guadalajara
Patronage title:Freeman
Purpose:City in Mexico.

Organisation name:City of Acapulco[
Patronage title:Freeman
Purpose:Mexican coastal city on the Pacific Ocean.

Organisation name:Automobile Club, Bari, Italy
Patronage title:Honorary Member
Region: Europe
Purpose:Club providing motoring facilities for drivers.

Organisation name: Boy Scouts Association of Argentina
[Member of the Royal Family:The Duke of Edinburgh
Patronage title:Honorary Member
Purpose:Branch of the international youth movement located in Argentina.

Organisation name: British American Forces Dining Club
Member of the Royal Family: The Duke of Edinburgh
Patronage title: Honorary Member
Region: UK-wide
Purpose dining club.

Organisation name: British Community Centre, Copenhagen
Patronage title: Patron
Region:Europe
Purpose:Club for British residents in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Organisation name: Harris County, Texas
Patronage title: Deputy Sheriff
Region: Rest of world
Purpose:County in the southern US state of Texas.

I think he can give up quite a few of his 700 patronages without anyone noticing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some his patronages are one off, i.e, ... Organisation name: Harris County, Texas
Patronage title: Deputy Sheriff
Region: Rest of world
Purpose:County in the southern US state of Texas.
I think he can give up quite a few of his 700 patronages without anyone noticing.
I checked with Harris County, They are very concerned about what will become of the Donut Trust he funds. :ROFLMAO::lol::ROFLMAO:

A few years ago there were a number of news articles about the Duke of Edinburgh "winding down" and taking things easier after his 90th birthday. He gave up a few patronages at this time but has he continued to do this? I believe he still has 700 patronages.

Also there was his illness in 2012 and then surgery and recovery back in 2013 that took him out off the royal calendar for awhile. IMHO I believe that the BRF will let the DoE make his own decision as to when he will "wind down."

He is affiliated with over 60 yacht clubs, countless polo and cricket clubs, not to mention carriage and horse racing clubs, in addition to several flying clubs.

I think he can easily walk away from these without worrying.

Here is just one...

Organisation name: House of Lords Yacht Club
Patronage title: Admiral
Region: UK (England)
Purpose:Sailing club associated with the House of Lords.

Last edited by a moderator:
These aren't name only charities. But they may have been one-off event charities.

One-off charities still raise money or profile of important events. A good example in 2015 was the Princess Royals patronage of the Edith Cavell 100th anniversary - which included an important visit to Brussels. (sorry, but this is only example that springs to mind)

Back onto subject - it isn't so much that he is slowing down - he, like HMQ, is not travelling. Events take place in and around BP or Windsor. He doesn't travel much. Though the exception was a one day visit to Canada in 2014!

He'll do what he wants, when he wants, till he wants, and will die in the saddle - which he would want!

Fantastic!

The reason for handing over more patronages to other royals isn't necessarily to reduce Philip's workload, but to help lesson the impact of 600/700 charities suddenly losing their patron.

But are they going to necessarily take over Prince Philip's 600 charities though? In the new reign it's been signalled that Foundations of much fewer more vital charities are going to be the way to go for the younger royals and the Queen and Prince Charles are hardly likely to take something over in the short term which will ultimately be dropped. Their diaries are full now, anyway.

In the Netherlands senior royals used to be overloaden too with countless patronages, from scouts to windmills, from ice-skating to the breeding of studbook horses... The new King has cleaned up the mess: only an organization which has a nationwide relevance can possibly get a royal patronage. To translate it to Prince Philip: no longer patron of 50 yacht clubs but Honorary President of The Royal Yachting Club instead, the governing body of all British nautic and watersports clubs.

This not only brings the workload to realistic proportions, it also gives the royal person the possibility on real commitment and not just acting as an ornament to give cachet to such a club.

Last edited:
Buckingham Palace is very careful in not trying to make it seem like the idea of Prince Philip and even The Queen handing down more responsibility to the younger royals does not mean that they're not retiring from royal duties. The reality is they won't be retiring, but they're getting older and it's very natural for them to pass down some roles down to the younger royals. Prince Philip may look well and fine, but he's in his mid 90s, and he have to hand some stuff down. It's a natural process.

I looked through some of Philip's patronages on the Royal website. Lots of them are honorary member or something similar that doesn't require active participation.

The important patronages will be taken over by other royals.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't think he will ever retire from royal duties, other than for health reasons.

Philip will go down with his ship. If he keeled over during an engagement and died right away I'm sure he'd die a happy man.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous: I totally agree. I picture him as the Professor Binns of the royal family. (Okay total Harry Potter geek). The man taught till the day he died of old age and came back to work the next morning as a ghost and they let him continue. I think if Philip had that choice he may just choose it. :D

I agree that Prince Philip is a man who hates to be idle. However, realistically, how many engagements can a person of 99 or 100 years old undertake each year. (Only four/five years away for the Prince.) Cognitive abilities can fade especially short term memory, physical strength and mobility the same.

Don't get me wrong, I realise there are some wonderful centenarians around. However, even at the top of their game these people tire very easily. Of course Prince Philip will keep on his non-active patronages, but I do feel that in the next couple of years there will be a semi-retirement for him, at least no more travelling any great distances from the Palaces, with continuing appearances with the family on occasions like Trooping of the Colour rather than a continuation of lots of active duties.

this, to me, raises an interesting point. DoE goes to over 200 events but doesn't DO much (not a criticism believe me).

The Queen's events are not about patronages at all. They are activities as HoS - mostly confined to BP or Windsor. So she rarely sets foot outside of her homes.

What is it we want? Lots of numbers on a sheet or actively making a difference such as Catherine and mental health?

Probably wrong thread - but you all know how it is - one discussion leads to another. Sorry.

Mods - does this need to be moved?

The role of the HOS will always be different then that of even the POW or lower members. of course she is busy with duties that are not 'patronages' and it will be the same for Charles and one day for William. The queen and Prince Philip do have plenty of patronages, but they have a different role.

Anne, Edward and Sophie an so on, are a better comparison. They have patronages and they do at least twice as many as the Cambridges. They all have patronages that make a huge impact on society (Camilla and osteoporosis and literacy, Princess Anne and Save the Children, Edward with the DOE awards and the Parolympics, Sophie is involved with Guiding, Andrew is big into blindness and does a lot of work with the military including the Canadian military,Charles has the Prince's trust). They make many visits for these patronages as well as the 'behind the scenes work' as well as representing other patronages.

After he turns 95, I can see him cutting down to about 100 engagements per year. I think he'll spend more time at Sandringham, he seems to enjoy the countryside, and it will allow him more time with his friend Penny Romsey.

Considering retirement age is 65, him slowing down and 'only' doing 100 engagements would be understandable, less even would be. Enough to keep him busy and feeling like he isn't abandoning ship, but he can relax and enjoy the country, the animals, and hopefully his great-grandkids.

I think he'll carry on till he drops frankly! He is a work-horse, believes in "getting on with it". He may have earned a rest, but I don't think he wants one

Philip will go down with his ship. If he keeled over during an engagement and died right away I'm sure he'd die a happy man.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I think so too. I just get that sense from him.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Considering retirement age is 65, him slowing down and 'only' doing 100 engagements would be understandable, less even would be. Enough to keep him busy and feeling like he isn't abandoning ship, but he can relax and enjoy the country, the animals, and hopefully his great-grandkids.

If he spent more time at Sandringham, he would have more quality time with George and Charlotte. I thought it was sweet that he was the only non-Cambridge royal to attend George's 2nd birthday.

Last edited:
Some of these charities, it's easy to see who will take over : Kate : Wimbledon, Harry: Rugby Union, William: Welsh Rugby Union. I would think Camilla gets Bernardo's and the Battersea Dog & Cat home.

:previous: That was my first thought too when Battersea Dog Home was mentioned. That is a place that Camilla already has some connections with. If I remember right, she adopted her Jack Russell Bluebell from there.

One thing I've noticed as I've continued to read through the threads on how the Queen's patronages are being handed down is that as HM looked around to see who would most fit into some of these patronages, she most likely had to smile as she realized how most of them already fit quite nicely into the areas of interests her family already works to bring attention to. That has had to have made her very proud of them all and know her patronages will be in very good hands.

Last edited:
I could see Sophie taking on the blind veterans. She has an interest in eye related patronages. Possibly also the cycling association. I could see her or Edward taking in the Edinburgh international festival, considering their future title.

Along with the batteries shelter, the animal health trust is likely a pair for Camilla.

The Royal African might be a good kid for Harry. He also seems to be taking more of an interest in nature, so perhaps the wetlands and royal geographic might pair well.

I really do hope the naval one goes to Andrew. He has served in the navy, not just honorary, and it seems the right fit IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom