Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip Reducing Workload (2016 Patronage Handover)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some guesses:

Save the Children UK probably to Anne as she's been involved with it since forever.
Royal Navy and Royal Marines Children's Fund maybe to Andrew?
Doesn't William have a degree in Geography? Might be the link with the Royal Geography Society.
Royal African Society to Africa-enthusiast Harry. And maybe the Blind Veterans too.
If Edward is supposed to get his father's dukedom then he should also get the Edinburgh International Festival.
The Duchess of Gloucester is in the council of the Lawn Tennis Association so she could get the patronage.
And didn't Sophie take part in some charity bike ride recently? There it goes the British Cycling Federation.

Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 26: December 2014

They are grouped by royal with the information already coming out it's easy to tell which royal got which. The first three are Charles's, then Camilla, William, Kate, Harry, Edward, Sophie, Andrew and Anne.

Last edited:

Quite a natural progression of things. When you really think about it, it would be understandable that a majority of 90+ year olds (if polled) probably couldn't remember what they had for dinner last Sunday let alone keep up with the day to day activities and responsibilities that both HM and the DoE have been doing and really show no sign of retiring from.

Sophie has taken on the NSPCC patronage and the Blind Veterans as expected. Andrew has taken over the Naval patronage, along with Harry for Rugby and William the Welsh rugby. I am sure a list of who has taken on what will come out eventually.

Sophie has taken on the NSPCC patronage and the Blind Veterans as expected. Andrew has taken over the Naval patronage, along with Harry for Rugby and William the Welsh rugby. I am sure a list of who has taken on what will come out eventually.

More info is due to come out in the new year.

this was a nice elegant transition announcement of HM's patronages. Of course I expect nothing else from HM

this was a nice elegant transition announcement of HM's patronages. Of course I expect nothing else from HM

I quite agree. It is organized, open and honest and clear. It shows a way forward which is an excellent approach. The Job QEII has done and continues to do is quite humbling when you look at her peer group and the times they faced. She is amazing!

Frankly, I am plumping for Sophie to get the cycling organization because of her recent achievements!

You are absolutely right Michelle. It seems to me that she has selected the family member who will now be the patron based upon their interest in the organizations and because they were already holding a presidency or vice-patron position.

Currently confirmed new patronages:

Holocaust Day Memorial Trust - Charles
Royal Institution of Great Britain - Charles
Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust – Charles
Barnardo's – Camilla
Welsh Rugby Union – William
Amateur Swimming Association – William
All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (AELTC) Wimbledon – Catherine
Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) – Catherine
Blind Veterans UK - Sophie
Rugby Football Union - Harry
Rugby Football League – Harry
NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) - Sophie
Royal Navy and Royal Marines Children's Fund – Andrew
Royal Geographical Society – Anne

Currently confirmed new patronages:

Holocaust Day Memorial Trust - Charles
Royal Institution of Great Britain - Charles
Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust – Charles
Barnardo's – Camilla
Welsh Rugby Union – William
Amateur Swimming Association – William
All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (AELTC) Wimbledon – Catherine
Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) – Catherine
Blind Veterans UK - Sophie
Rugby Football Union - Harry
Rugby Football League – Harry
NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) - Sophie
Royal Navy and Royal Marines Children's Fund – Andrew
Royal Geographical Society – Anne

I am sitting here thinking about this process. Do you ask the charities their preference? Gently suggest to the charity that Andrew or Edward or ? might be a great source of energy and interest? Ask the family which they would prefer? Make choices based on judgement and wisdom? Draw out of a hat? :lol: Actually now I think of it, the BRF version of Cards Against Humanity might just be some version of "crazy patronages beyond the pale." :lol:

I am sitting here thinking about this process. Do you ask the charities their preference? Gently suggest to the charity that Andrew or Edward or ? might be a great source of energy and interest? Ask the family which they would prefer? Make choices based on judgement and wisdom? Draw out of a hat? :lol: Actually now I think of it, the BRF version of Cards Against Humanity might just be some version of "crazy patronages beyond the pale." :lol:

I'm curious how far in advance some of this was decided, too. I mean, it's possible that some organizations are such a good fit for a particular family member that her majesty decided years ago to tell that person something along the lines of, "I think you'd make the best successor to me as the patron of xxx, in the meantime let's assign you to any events with them that don't fit into my schedule."

If he spent more time at Sandringham, he would have more quality time with George and Charlotte. I thought it was sweet that he was the only non-Cambridge royal to attend George's 2nd birthday.

True, but he does have three soon to be four other great grandchildren. Though the public tends to focus only on the Cambridges, I am sure like any great grandparent, Philip loves them all and spending time with them.

With the Queen stepping down as patron of 25 charities, could her and Philip likely to do step down from more paronages in the future?

Queen to step down as Patron of 25 charities – Royal Central

I think its very possible that from here on in, there will be gradual "changing of the guard" between the Queen and the DoE's patronages and the well prepared family, that over the years, has taken on similar patronages of interest and finding a niche for the patronages being handed over isn't hard to do.

Its all part and parcel of a gentle transition period we're in to ensure that the Monarchy and the people who serve it have a smoother road to travel.

The Queen is patron of over 600 organisations and Prince Philip patron of over 700. That will be one hell of a task to redistribute so many patronages if one of them should pass away.

Some of those are one-offs; some are specifically for the Monarch; some will be handed on and some will lose royal patronage.

1300 are not all going to be handed over IMO

I think too that we are going to be seeing a gradual transition between the way royal charities and patronages are handled. As Cepe said, many of the Queen's and the DoE's are going to end with their passing. Some will be able to be incorporated perhaps into organizations such as the Prince's Trust or The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry and some passed onto other family members that already have an invested interest such as Anne with Save the Children.

In some ways, I attribute this to the inroads that organizations have made to "umbrella" a grouping of charities. For instance, with the United For Wildlife campaign that is under the Royal Foundation's umbrella, there are other organizations on a global scale that all work together for the prime directive of United For Wildlife. There are multiple organizations that Kate supports that fall under the umbrella of youth and children. Place2be, the Art Room, EACH and more I'm not even thinking of now.

I think the day of having a royal patron to open a wing of a hospital will be fewer but a campaign by hospitals together for a specific cause under a royal patron's foundation will become more of the way things are done. With the advent and ease of use of social media and instant communication and ease of getting a cause out there to the attention of millions, I see the handling of such issues as reaching far more people than how it was done in the past.

Just my perspectives on it.

Why shouldn't he slow down ?
People are always complaining about the "York " girls, how they don't do any Royal "work" but enjoy some of the priviledges of the HRH status. Well now is the chance for them to step up to the mark as it were. :)

:previous: They could but only if those are offered to them. It could be that the York sisters know that their grandmother's former patronages will be offered to Charles and his family or their other aunts and uncle.

One of the reasons people complain is the media tends to ignore the charity work the girls do. Or pass it off as partying and vacations. Both of them have a handful of patronages, and eugenie also works a full time job.beayrice was in New York as part of an UN event, but the media focussed on her going yo dinner with a designer. IMO, as the queen and her cousins wind down, we will see some patronages pass their way. The queen understands more than most, the benefit of having supportive cousins when you are on the throne.

The York girls will probably never become full time working royals so they probably won't have more tnan a handful of patronages each. It is William, Kate and Harry who should be doing considerably more, as should Camilla.

The York girls have their own charities and patronages that they are involved with but it is their personal endeavors and from what we've seen up until now, most likely will remain this way throughout Charles' reign.

Its also been suggested that perhaps as this reign winds down and preparations are put in place for Charles' reign that there may be a shift in how the official workload of senior royals will be conducted.

Check out the Monarchy under Charles for more discussion on this topic. :D

These 25 patronages barely touch HMQs workload at all.

The York girls will probably never become full time working royals so they probably won't have more tnan a handful of patronages each. It is William, Kate and Harry who should be doing considerably more, as should Camilla.

Camilla does more than everyone other than The Queen and her four children. Most people think Sophie does more than she does but she will do barely a handful more than William this year (my current count - to December 20th is Sophie on 199 and William on 194).

I do think that as 2017 goes into full swing, we're going to see many more examples of HM and the DoE really winding things down and taking things much easier. The plans have probably already been put into place but the execution of them was delayed until after the momentous year of the Queen becoming not only the longest reigning British monarch but also celebrating her 90th birthday.

I can't, however, ever see either of this wonderful couple go into full retirement at all. They most likely will remain as active as they possibly can for as long as they possibly can.

:previous: I agree and while the long range plans are likely known to all of the working royals, it's up to HM and the DoE to decide when they want to release the news when they decide to resign from a position they've held for decades.

Interesting graphics here. Picture and a thousand words springs to mind.

The Queen and DOE clearly show there is no retirement age on being royal, the youngest generation do have a bit of work to do in being similiar representatives.

It is a different era however; I do not think we will ever see the likes of Elizabeth and Philip again, not from Charles and definitely not from William.

I think the chart showing how many duties royal ladies did after marrying into the family is particularly telling

Back
Top Bottom