Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 27: June 2018 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My question was not specifically about them being seen "out and about", but rather about the official business of the Queen including audiences with ministers or Privy Council meetings, which would break the self-isolation. I suppose they could switch to virtual meetings instead, e.g. holding a Privy Council by teleconferencing if that is constitutionally possible.
I think any arrangement is possible if there's a will to do it.

Ay her age, I’m not sure the Queen should be in the same room with anybody that has not been tested or has not been near anyone who could be infected.

This focus on universal testing may prove to be questionable. The UK is following a different approach: tell everyone who has respiratory infection symptoms (even if it is actually just a common cold) to self-isolate (whether they take a test or not) and tell over-70s to go into quarantine and avoid contact with anyone (tested or not). That may prove to be more sensible.

Widespread testing can be an option in the containment phase, but now that we are in the delay or mitigation phases, only people who are really sick and in need of hospitalization should be prioritized for testing. In addition, some additional testing should be done by statistical sampling to control the evolution of the pandemic.

The British papers are saying that all over-70s in the UK will be asked to self-isolate for 4 months. I don't know the exact details of that policy, but, considering that the Queen and the PoW are both over 70 and self-isolation means no physical contact with outside people (including audiences), will Parliament have to pass legislation to set up a temporary regency under the Duke of Cambridge? Or will the Queen and the PoW be exempt from the over-70 quarantine?

I apologize if it is speculative,but I believe the question is pertinent given today's announcement by the Health Secretary.

They could use Counsellors of State - so William and Andrew, acting together, do the audiences etc (Harry isn't in the country and so can't be called upon). That is what happens when the Queen is overseas (and the CC has recorded it happening when The Queen has been on an 'away day' in the UK as well). No new legislation would be needed as the Regency Act 1937 already has a mechanism to use, if necessary.

They could use Counsellors of State - so William and Andrew, acting together, do the audiences etc (Harry isn't in the country and so can't be called upon). That is what happens when the Queen is overseas (and the CC has recorded it happening when The Queen has been on an 'away day' in the UK as well). No new legislation would be needed as the Regency Act 1937 already has a mechanism to use, if necessary.

Yes, that is right. It looks like the most sensible solution to me.

Corona is not transported via paper but by breath to breath transmission within 1-2 metres.

But if someonme is caughing on a Paper or a Table or something the Virus can also be on it.

I read a medic saying it could survive on paper/cardboard for a few hours but perhaps that's not correct? I don't know.

I hesrd it also depends on the Material for how long it can surface there. But there is nothing certain as so much with it.

Windsor Castle was built by William the Conqueror as a fortress and will serve its purpose,safety 1st a wise decision to relocate there.

It is a very wise decision to move the Court to Windsor and I understand there are co tinge ice plans to remove to Sandringham if things change.

If nothing else the BRF is going to have a an enforced break.

It is a very wise decision to move the Court to Windsor and I understand there are co tinge ice plans to remove to Sandringham if things change.

If nothing else the BRF is going to have a an enforced break.

It makes sense to me that if the entire country is being put on emergency measures with large gatherings and events being cancelled and people urged to be vigilant and avoid being in public as much as possible, that the entire BRF would also adhere to these guidelines.

History has shown us that back in the time of the Black Death, it was those of the higher classes that isolated on their estates and had better access to healthy foods that were able to survive. We may be more "advanced" in our technology and the everyday man has more access to survival methods and assistance, but the spread of something very contagious can and does affect us all no matter what our lifestyles are.

People look to their royal family as an example during times of crisis. If the Queen and her family shut down and take any precautionary measures to avoid being infected, it sets an example for the rest of us to follow. Not only could the entire BRF be put into a lockdown but it would seem plausible that even Parliament could be suspended until future notice.

Its really just a matter of common sense to do what is needed to be done.

The reality so far is that the Queen is at Windsor as she usually is at the weekend. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Queen ends up back at BP Tuesday as usual.

But that said the government is talking about soon asking all older people to self isolate in which case if HM doesn’t stay in a residence then she would technically be ignoring government advice.

I can see the sense in them planning to use Sandringham if needed, inlike Windsor which is home to many staff already, HM could go with a small handful of staff and shut herself away (with hundreds of acres of gardens to enjoy)

It makes sense to me that if the entire country is being put on emergency measures with large gatherings and events being cancelled and people urged to be vigilant and avoid being in public as much as possible, that the entire BRF would also adhere to these guidelines.

History has shown us that back in the time of the Black Death, it was those of the higher classes that isolated on their estates and had better access to healthy foods that were able to survive. We may be more "advanced" in our technology and the everyday man has more access to survival methods and assistance, but the spread of something very contagious can and does affect us all no matter what our lifestyles are.

People look to their royal family as an example during times of crisis. If the Queen and her family shut down and take any precautionary measures to avoid being infected, it sets an example for the rest of us to follow. Not only could the entire BRF be put into a lockdown but it would seem plausible that even Parliament could be suspended until future notice.

Its really just a matter of common sense to do what is needed to be done.

Very well said........and it would show how serious the situation is.

And I have a question that you can help me with---couldn't HM continue all of her usual duties except for the audiences while observing the niceties of social distancing? I realize that the answer is going to be much more complicated than the question...so that's why I'm here. :lol:

Windsor Castle was built by William the Conqueror as a fortress and will serve its purpose,safety 1st a wise decision to relocate there.

Once more I am awed by the enduring institution that is the British monarchy. Wow.

Last edited by a moderator:
As predicted the Daily Mail is now reporting that HM will indeed be returning to Buckingham Palace tomorrow after her weekend at Windsor and has just spent the weekend there as usual and did not 'flee' the Palace.

What is this “Councillors of State” provision - and could Edward replace Andrew?

The five Counsellors of State are made up of the monarch's consort and the first four people in the line of succession who meet the following qualifications:

1) at least 21 years old (except for the heir apparent who can be 18)
2) be domiciled in Britain
3) be a British subject

Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie would come before Prince Edward in terms of being "up next" to be a Counsellor of State.

What is this “Councillors of State” provision - and could Edward replace Andrew?

Counsellors of State are those appointed by the monarch to carry out the duties of the monarch when temporarily unable to do so in person - usually when she has been overseas.

The 1937 Regency Act spells out who they are:

1. The spouse of the monarch - Philip
2. The first four adults in the line of succession:
a) for the heir apparent - Charles - over 18
b) for the next three - William, Harry and Andrew - over 21

Edward served from 1985 until 2005 - his 21st birthday until Harry's and Anne from 1971 until 2003 - from her 21st birthday until William's. Andrew has been serving since 1981 and Charles since 1966.

But they also MUST be resident in the UK. Harry isn't living there at the moment and so would either have to be brought back to the UK for the duration of need to serve with William or they would go the simple route of having William and Andrew do what is needed as a pair.

When The Queen does leave us then Beatrice will step up and become the fourth Counsellor of State and Camilla will also be added to the list as the spouse of the monarch but Philip would drop off. They may do as they did in 1953 and pass a new piece of legislation (it was the Regency Act 1953) and all the spouse of the previous monarch to continue to serve but at nearly 99 I doubt that Philip would want that.

When Andrew stepped down last year it was announced that he would continue to serve in this role - if called upon. I suspect that nobody envisioned a position were only two were actually available.

For Beatrice to step up the government would have to either declare that Harry no longer resides in the UK at all or that for some reason Andrew was ineligible (and as he hasn't been charged with an offence, let alone convicted it would be an awful precedent to take away someone's rights based on a verbal allegation and evidence of a poor choice of friends).

The five Counsellors of State are made up of the monarch's consort and the first four people in the line of succession who meet the following qualifications:

1) at least 21 years old (except for the heir apparent who can be 18)
2) be domiciled in Britain
3) be a British subject

Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie would come before Prince Edward in terms of being "up next" to be a Counsellor of State.

Thank you!!

Bertie, thank you!

For Beatrice to step up the government would have to either declare that Harry no longer resides in the UK at all or that for some reason Andrew was ineligible (and as he hasn't been charged with an offence, let alone convicted it would be an awful precedent to take away someone's rights based on a verbal allegation and evidence of a poor choice of friends).

Good point about Andrew. Well, should it come to that, I wonder if they'd ask Harry to return.... probably not, so in that case, come on down, Andrew.

The Queen's returning to Buckingham Palace, and will carry out some smaller engagements there. I wonder if there are any plans for her to make a speech about this, maybe thanking medical personnel and encouraging everyone to stay calm and strong. I think we could do with it.

The Queen's returning to Buckingham Palace, and will carry out some smaller engagements there. I wonder if there are any plans for her to make a speech about this, maybe thanking medical personnel and encouraging everyone to stay calm and strong. I think we could do with it.

I would be surprised if she chose to speak out at this stage.

Whilst her cousin and friend The King of Norway did address his people, I don't see HM making a speech or address about this, yet. Maybe we may have a statement from her rather like the one after Grenfell when the Trooping went ahead and she spoke of the "very sombre national mood"

I saw she went to Mass on Sunday, she is very Lucky, here in Belgium the offices have completely stopped.

I think many of us would welcome an address from HM. The mood here is increasingly sombre.

The Queen can offer encouragement & hope.

Will the queen send a message to the country about the coronavirus?

I saw she went to Mass on Sunday, she is very Lucky, here in Belgium the offices have completely stopped.

The Church (of England) has now suspended all services. Even that source of comfort for those who believe (& possibly even for those who don't) has now ended.

I think many of us would welcome an address from HM. The mood here is increasingly sombre.

The Queen can offer encouragement & hope.

Not sure how. the best hope would be if the medical profession could offer some reassurance..
I agree the mood is very depressing....

Logically thinking, wouldn't it be considered a risk right now to expose HM to a gaggle of filming personnel to even deliver a speech? I think it'll be an example more to follow if HM is seen to be isolating as much as possible at this time to prevent being infected.

I think Denville has hit on the head with the reasoning that it'd be far more assuring and comforting to listen to someone from the medical profession. I felt better knowing my hubby's doctor cancelled an appointment this week because of the high risk factor of being in public (and our state of WV has 0 confirmed cases at this time) than I have had listening to our politicians making statements.

Just how I see it. ?

Not sure how. the best hope would be if the medical profession could offer some reassurance..
I agree the mood is very depressing....

I'm confident she would find the right words both as monarch & as a person of strong faith.

Logically thinking, wouldn't it be considered a risk right now to expose HM to a gaggle of filming personnel to even deliver a speech? I think it'll be an example more to follow if HM is seen to be isolating as much as possible at this time to prevent being infected.

I think Denville has hit on the head with the reasoning that it'd be far more assuring and comforting to listen to someone from the medical profession. I felt better knowing my hubby's doctor cancelled an appointment this week because of the high risk factor of being in public (and our state of WV has 0 confirmed cases at this time) than I have had listening to our politicians making statements.

Just how I see it. ?

I don't find it very reassuring that the doctors don't want people coming in.. but I suppose iwht crowded waiting rooms they have no option.
I don't see the queen doing a broadcast... though possible she codl record something with minimal personnel...

Logically thinking, wouldn't it be considered a risk right now to expose HM to a gaggle of filming personnel to even deliver a speech?

I think Denville has hit on the head with the reasoning that it'd be far more assuring and comforting to listen to someone from the medical profession.

Just how I see it. ?

I can see that it would be a risk.

One doesn't preclude the other. For millions in this country The Queen is a very big deal indeed (although for others not at all) & it would be very welcome by them. The Queen is not just a head of state. For many she's far more than that.

Went to the Dr yesterday, they had two billboards out saying if you have the symptoms don't go in the building call this number; but were taking other patients.
The Queen should not place herself at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom