Proposals for celebrating HM's 90th birthday in 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen's 80th birthday celebrations was not quiet.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/...thbirthday2006/TheQueens80thbirthday2006.aspx

It is The Queen and the Palace who makes the decisions, the Government approves them.

Many of those events were events that would have taken place anyway - but they decided to dovetail them onto the Queen's birthday - to link them e.g. she visited the BBC - she does that quite often so they made it a 'birthday visit.

Not it is NOT the Queen who decides.

The government decides and she approves them. She is their puppet, not the other way round.

She has three rights - to warn, to advise and to be consulted but ... if a PM decided not to tell her what was going on she could do nothing about it.

She is allowed ONE speech a year that isn't approved in advance - the Christmas Message but if they started to become political it would also be subjected to political approval.

She is simply a puppet who has little say in what she does and when she does it. That is decided for her.

Many of those events were events that would have taken place anyway - but they decided to dovetail them onto the Queen's birthday - to link them e.g. she visited the BBC - she does that quite often so they made it a 'birthday visit.

Not it is NOT the Queen who decides.

The government decides and she approves them. She is their puppet, not the other way round.

She has three rights - to warn, to advise and to be consulted but ... if a PM decided not to tell her what was going on she could do nothing about it.

She is allowed ONE speech a year that isn't approved in advance - the Christmas Message but if they started to become political it would also be subjected to political approval.

She is simply a puppet who has little say in what she does and when she does it. That is decided for her.

Iluvbertie! You misunderstand. I meant when it comes to The Queen's 90th birthday celebrations, it is she and the palace who make the decisions. The Government will of course go through the cost and approve them.

I am fully aware of The Queen's constitutional role. Britain is a democracy with a constitutional monarchy with an elected parliament / the house of commons. The Queen is apolitical, the majority in Parliament and the government has the political power. That's what's great about this system.

Will school children make birthday cards and have them mailed to the Queen?

Iluvbertie! You misunderstand. I meant when it comes to The Queen's 90th birthday celebrations, it is she and the palace who make the decisions. The Government will of course go through the cost and approve them.

If she wants a big celebration and the government says 'no' who is going to win?

The government.

If she wants a small private celebration and the government says 'no' we want to go all out who is going to win?

Again the government.

She won't decide - the government will and she will do as she is told - as she has always done.

If she wants a big celebration and the government says 'no' who is going to win?

The government.

No, The Palace and the government.

If she wants a small private celebration and the government says 'no' we want to go all out who is going to win?

Again the government.

No, The Palace and the government.

When it comes to political issues, the government decides. When it comes to a birthday celebration, the palace and the government will make a decision together.

We agree to disagree.

If they disagree then the government will win - simple.

They may discuss things and come to an agreement but if there is no agreement then the government wins - because the government makes ALL decisions and The Queen goes along. If she doesn't want to do something and the government says they want her to do it she does it - doesn't matter whether it is political or a birthday - it is the same thing.

The government pulls the strings and the Queen jumps. The government might discuss matters with her but in the end it is the government that decides and she has to go along.

Does anyone actually believe that should HM, at reaching the age of 90, make her wishes known of how she would like to celebrate her birthday, that either the Palace, the government or anybody would not heed HM's wishes? I would think that they would bend over backwards to please her.

IF HM wanted to spend the day in bed with every Harry Potter book, all kinds of junk food imaginable and a case of beer and hang out the Do Not Disturb sign, at 90 years old... that's what she should do. :D

I'm not sure I think either of you is necessarily right on this one.

I don't think it's going to be a case of one wants to do nothing and the other wants to do something, so one wins and the other loses. It's more likely to be a case of one wants to do nothing, the other wants to do something, and they find some way to meet in the middle. The government really can't force the Queen to go for a pageant if she's not interested in it, but the Queen can't really force the government to allow and pay for a pageant that they're not interested in having.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened with the Queen's 80th birthday; one wanted to make a big deal out of it, the other didn't, so they found a way to just make a bigger deal out of things that the Queen was going to be doing anyways.

Given as next year is both the Queen's 90th and the year she surpassed Victoria in length of reign I would expect some kind of extra celebration, likely something that's a bit of a cross between what they did for her 80th and what they did for the Jubilee. I don't think we'll see anything too extravagant, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a party, and the Trooping is a bit extra, and perhaps there's a special church service.

Given as next year is both the Queen's 90th and the year she surpassed Victoria in length of reign I would expect some kind of extra celebration, likely something that's a bit of a cross between what they did for her 80th and what they did for the Jubilee. I don't think we'll see anything too extravagant, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a party, and the Trooping is a bit extra, and perhaps there's a special church service.

I agree with you in this.

I think Ish's suggestion of the church service is most likely. Isn't that what happened when Prince Philip turned 90? Given her strong sense of duty and the fact she also becomes the longest reigning monarch, I also wouldn't be surprised at some form of reaffirmation that she will continue to serve the people.

A DM article from the day lists a church service in the morning, a champagne reception for 750 next, a lunch for senior royals and some of the Mountbattens, and dinner at a fancy restaurant with the grandkids (where the DM fails to know how many grandkids he has; they say that 5 of his grandchildren took him and the Queen to dinner, then all of them but Harry took him out, and in the process seem to forget that Louise and James exist).

According to Buckingham Palace there will not be a Celebration for when The Queen become the Longest Reigning Monarch in order to preserve Victoria Menory.

" Last night royal sources said Black Rod was reflecting the Queen’s preference for a ‘quiet day’ next September, partly out of respect for Victoria’s memory: a ‘celebration’ would be inappropriate in the circumstances."
The Palace indicated that its efforts next year would instead be concentrated on marking the monarch’s 90th birthday in 2016.

Last night, Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg said: ‘This is a great achievement and a significant moment in British history. The most appropriate way to mark it would be to hold a day of loyal addresses in her honour in the Commons chamber.’
A Palace spokesman said: ‘Her Majesty traditionally spends the month at Balmoral, and there are no plans to change that.’ A Commons spokesman said: ‘At present, there are no plans to mark the fact the Queen will become the longest-serving monarch next year.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ideo-link-Westminstercrowd.html#ixzz3IgGzkXRr

By the way when Queen Victoria overtook her Grandfather in October 1896 and became Longest Reigning British Monarch there were not any celebrations. Her Government wanted to mark the occasion but Since her Diamond Jubilee was in the following year in June she told them to wait and combine the occasions.

Most likely Queen Elizabeth Longest Reigning Monarch milestone and 90th Birthday will be combined

Proposals for celebrating HMs 90th birthday in 2016

A DM article from the day lists a church service in the morning, a champagne reception for 750 next, a lunch for senior royals and some of the Mountbattens, and dinner at a fancy restaurant with the grandkids (where the DM fails to know how many grandkids he has; they say that 5 of his grandchildren took him and the Queen to dinner, then all of them but Harry took him out, and in the process seem to forget that Louise and James exist).

It was the adult grandkids and their spouses. Harry missed it because he was hosting a dinner after a charity polo game. It is easy to forget about Louise and especially James since they normally don't go to the big family events.

I think maybe they will do some sort of reception with other people who turn 90. I remember the palace doing that for one of the Queen's and Philip's anniversary where there were couples that were married the same day/year if I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
I'm not sure I think either of you is necessarily right on this one.

I don't think it's going to be a case of one wants to do nothing and the other wants to do something, so one wins and the other loses. It's more likely to be a case of one wants to do nothing, the other wants to do something, and they find some way to meet in the middle. The government really can't force the Queen to go for a pageant if she's not interested in it, but the Queen can't really force the government to allow and pay for a pageant that they're not interested in having.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened with the Queen's 80th birthday; one wanted to make a big deal out of it, the other didn't, so they found a way to just make a bigger deal out of things that the Queen was going to be doing anyways.

I agree with you, I think this discussion is a bit absurd. No one is going to force the Queen to have a large or small birthday celebration; no one can. This is a personal matter for the Queen and her family; it is certainly not and won't be a political issue. If she wants a family dinner and perhaps an extra ceremonial flourish or two at Trooping of the Colour, that is what will happen. The government isn't going to or need to go to great expense for her 90th birthday. She's an ISTJ, which means she prefers routine and tradition. They will likely do a similar celebration that they did for the Queen Mum's 90th and leave it at that. The Prime Minister of the day and the Cabinet isn't going to force their noses into it. I'm sure they will send well-deserved congratulations to Her Majesty and leave it at that. With unemployment still at 6% and Syria, ISIL and Ukraine still unstable, I think they have enough to worry about.

I have got high hopes for a proper royal reception. I also hope that the Queen enjoys good health until then :flowers: All the great ladies from Her Majesty's generation have gone to heaven. This world has become such a miserable place. :nonono: Where is the grandeur of the past? The magnificence of the Victorian and Edwardian eras, that made England the great empire it used to be? Where are the old ways, the knightly virtues of the gentlemen? Nowhere to be found. No more. :cry: Have a most agreeable birthday, Your Majesty! I will not be around in 2016... :wave: :crown7: :rose:

I have got high hopes for a proper royal reception. I also hope that the Queen enjoys good health until then :flowers: All the great ladies from Her Majesty's generation have gone to heaven. This world has become such a miserable place. :nonono: Where is the grandeur of the past? The magnificence of the Victorian and Edwardian eras, that made England the great empire it used to be? Where are the old ways, the knightly virtues of the gentlemen? Nowhere to be found. No more. :cry: Have a most agreeable birthday, Your Majesty! I will not be around in 2016... :wave: :crown7: :rose:

Here's hoping that you celebrate birthdays with the vim and vigor as one of our past presidents did. George Bush skydived for his 90th. :D

A lot of the splendor and grandeur of the past eras truly have become things that legends are made of but I do think HM The Queen is beloved not only for upholding the pomp and circumstance of the monarchy, but she also is very much aware of and responds to the signs of the times.

Not too very many women are beloved the world over as HM is.

Kent_spark, I enjoyed your post except for your opinion that you will not be around for 2016. No way! I expect to see you here along with all the other posters who so admire QEII, wishing her well.;)

You are right, many of the great Royal women have left or are leaving the scene. The world has changed and so have the royals. But there are royals....and then there are Royals.. God Save the Queen!

There is still some (The Queen Jubilee a good example) but not a lot. They had to get rid of it a lot of it during World War 1 because they were being seen as being of touch. It is a shame but time has changed, Two World Wars did a lot of that and is partly to blame. The world is very different from the Edwardian And Victorian Times but things are not going to stay the same for 100+ years. But even The Royal Family in those days had peoples who criticize the Royals and institution

There a reason why The British Royal Family is called one of the great survivors of The European Royal Families past and present.

We shouldn't dwell on the pass and should look to the future. I will be alive during The Queen 90th Birthday, Charles Reign, William Reign and probably the start of Prince George

It was the adult grandkids and their spouses. Harry missed it because he was hosting a dinner after a charity polo game. It is easy to forget about Louise and especially James since they normally don't go to the big family events.

I think maybe they will do some sort of reception with other people who turn 90. I remember the palace doing that for one of the Queen's and Philip's anniversary where there were couples that were married the same day/year if I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I agree that it is easy to forget about Louise and James, particularly as people (including the British) forget Edward exists, so it's unlikely they would know who his children are. Hopefully for HM's 90th birthday both Louise and James will attend the celebrations.

I would hope for that birthday there would be a new family photo released. The last family shot we had was for the Queen's diamond wedding anniversary which included the immediate family (minus Louise who was only 4. Even James was in it, although he was an fetus...). I had hoped for the Diamond Jubilee a photo would have been released but no such luck. Fingers crossed for HM's 90th birthday. The British royals seem to like to release a photo for big birthdays so you never know!

For her 80th birthday wasn't there two services? One at St George's and one at St Paul's? I would imagine something similar would happen for her 90th. There was also a fireworks and dinner at Kew Palace held by Charles.

There will most probably be a thanksgiving service in Westminster Abbey or st Paul's. A banquet involving representatives of all the other royal families is likely As is carriage procession through London of the Queen and other senior royals on the actual day. Of course, it all depends upon the Queen's mental and physical health. Sadly, Prince Philip may not be present.

There will most probably be a thanksgiving service in Westminster Abbey or st Paul's. A banquet involving representatives of all the other royal families is likely As is carriage procession through London of the Queen and other senior royals on the actual day. Of course, it all depends upon the Queen's mental and physical health. Sadly, Prince Philip may not be present.

I don't see HM wanting to go that big of a formal "get" for turning another year older. This wouldn't be something that, for her, is something to celebrate on a national level as The Queen but as Elizabeth the mother, grandmother and great grandmother. The world and the UK may celebrate it however they choose but IMHO, she'd prefer it simple.

As for Philip. I'd not put it past him to tell the Grim Reaper he'll just have to wait. He's other things to do first. He's hale, hearty and, I do have to admit, in far better shape than I am at 30 years his junior.

I hope you're right, but I don't think the celebrations gets so big.
I think it will be more like what we saw for The Queen's 80th birthday in 2006, but I'm sure she will be celebrated throughout the year.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/...thbirthday2006/TheQueens80thbirthday2006.aspx

Just out of curiosity what were The Celebrations for the Queen last two big Birthdays Milestones? The Queen 50th and 75th Birthday.

The next big milestone will be 100th Birthday. If anything that will be a bigger celebration then 90 if The Queen lives to 100.

Just out of curiosity what were The Celebrations for the Queen last two big Birthdays Milestones? The Queen 50th and 75th Birthday.

Elizabeth II's 50th birthday in 1976 included family photos.
Her 70th birthday, in 1996, was low profile at the Queen's request.

As for Philip. I'd not put it past him to tell the Grim Reaper he'll just have to wait. He's other things to do first. He's hale, hearty and, I do have to admit, in far better shape than I am at 30 years his junior.

You may be right, after his surgery to put in a stent he seemed very frail for quite some time. During 2014 I saw him in several newsreels attending D-day events with the Queen and some other events and I was astounded at how well he looks and how vigorous he appeared for 93.

It would be lovely to see a year of celebrations for the Queen's 90th Birthday, D.V.

Martin @CourtierUK · 2h
Meanwhile plans are afoot for the celebration of The Queen’s 90th birthday next year..

Already? It seems the plans are going to start pretty early!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom