Prince Phillip's Qualities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissPeach77

Gentry
City
Monsey
Country
United States
As an American I have to admit that I don't know much about Prince Phillip, as much as the rest of the family (obviously other than what is written about him). I would like to think there is a reason that Queen Elizabeth seems to simply adore him, and that he has redeeming qualities, but he comes across as a grouch. You hear things like he sent Charles to his alma mater as a child where Charles was bullied and miserable, he didn't like Diana, won't be in the same room as Fergie, that even though the Queen is the "Queen," he is really the pants in the relationship/family and rules it with an iron fist. Surely there is some light you guys can shed to me on him in regards to positive characteristics of him.

As an American I have to admit that I don't know much about Prince Phillip, as much as the rest of the family (obviously other than what is written about him). I would like to think there is a reason that Queen Elizabeth seems to simply adore him, and that he has redeeming qualities, but he comes across as a grouch. You hear things like he sent Charles to his alma mater as a child where Charles was bullied and miserable, he didn't like Diana, won't be in the same room as Fergie, that even though the Queen is the "Queen," he is really the pants in the relationship/family and rules it with an iron fist. Surely there is some light you guys can shed to me on him in regards to positive characteristics of him.

He was a highly regarded naval officer who gave up his career for the queen, there was no question of him carrying on in the navy as her consort. He saw active service in the war. I think we also have to remember the times they lived in,when they were first married, the husband/ father was the decision maker and they followed that as almost a way of giving him his place at least within the family.

IMHO he's been a supportive and caring grandfather to his four grandsons and four granddaughters especially to those who experienced a divorce between their parents. Prince Phillp had a similar situation in his own childhood, so he appears to go out of his way to have been a nurturing grandfather to them.

Philip is and was a man's man. Straight shooting, stand up kind of guy. He doesn't mince words but also is known for his "gaffes" that can be insulting or funny depending on how you look at it. He's loyal to a fault. He can be a stubborn old goat set in his ways. He's a tinker that likes to look at things and come up with innovative ways of doing things and modernizing. It took time but he found his niche within the "Firm" and was even the chairperson when they had meetings of the "Way Ahead" group to plot the future of the "Firm". He's established The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme that is far reaching across the globe. He's the type of man that love to be active and would be late for his own funeral if he had any say in it.

He has always been the patriarch of the family. Once upon a time, the Queen and Philip were driving in the car (Margaret Rhodes, the Queen's cousin was also there). The Queen was "backseat driving" and Philip, without mincing words, told her to "shut up or you're going to walk". Margaret later said to the Queen, "You're the Queen. Why did you shut up?" HM responded, "I didn't want to walk". This couple has had their ups and downs and "I love you but I don't like you too much right now" days just like every other couple. They respect each other's individuality and don't need to be in each other's back pockets all the time. They have endured for going on 72 years together and the Queen sees Philip as "her strength and stay".

As far as Philip insisting on Gordonstoun for Charles' education, I think he did have Charles' best interests at heart but he didn't realize fully just what his son's character makeup was really like. Charles could probably, at the time, be deemed the negative to the photo of Philip's personality. It worked for Philip and made a man out of him but it was a miserable existence for Charles. Anne is really more like her dad than any of the other siblings and she's a no nonsense, straight up personality just like her dad. ?

Philip is the longest serving consort to the British monarch and his life span is an interesting one. He's earned his place in British history and has been stellar in his service to Crown and Country.

My favorite quote of Philip's has to be "You have mosquitoes. We have the press." :D

Last edited:
Philip is and was a man's man. Straight shooting, stand up kind of guy. He doesn't mince words but also is known for his "gaffes" that can be insulting or funny depending on how you look at it. He's loyal to a fault. He can be a stubborn old goat set in his ways. He's a tinker that likes to look at things and come up with innovative ways of doing things and modernizing. It took time but he found his niche within the "Firm" and was even the chairperson when they had meetings of the "Way Ahead" group to plot the future of the "Firm". He's established The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme that is far reaching across the globe. He's the type of man that love to be active and would be late for his own funeral if he had any say in it.

He has always been the patriarch of the family. Once upon a time, the Queen and Philip were driving in the car (Margaret Rhodes, the Queen's cousin was also there). The Queen was "backseat driving" and Philip, without mincing words, told her to "shut up or you're going to walk". Margaret later said to the Queen, "You're the Queen. Why did you shut up?" HM responded, "I didn't want to walk". This couple has had their ups and downs and "I love you but I don't like you too much right now" days just like every other couple. They respect each other's individuality and don't need to be in each other's back pockets all the time. They have endured for going on 72 years together and the Queen sees Philip as "her strength and stay".

As far as Philip insisting on Gordonstoun for Charles' education, I think he did have Charles' best interests at heart but he didn't realize fully just what his son's character makeup was really like. Charles could probably, at the time, be deemed the negative to the photo of Philip's personality. It worked for Philip and made a man out of him but it was a miserable existence for Charles. Anne is really more like her dad than any of the other siblings and she's a no nonsense, straight up personality just like her dad. ?

Philip is the longest serving consort to the British monarch and his life span is an interesting one. He's earned his place in British history and has been stellar in his service to Crown and Country.

My favorite quote of Philip's has to be "You have mosquitoes. We have the press." :D

Excellent summary of his life and contribution.

he didn't like Diana,

Actually he tried very hard to support Diana and to keep her marriage together. (Google his letters to her).

His childhood was awful - his father abandoned the family, his mother had mental problems and he was passed from pillar to post, living with relatives. He said that marrying Elizabeth gave him the first home he'd ever known.

His letter to the Queen Mother after his wedding is of a man of deep feeling eg

“‘Lilibet is the only thing in this world which is absolutely real to me and my ambition is to wield the two of us into a new combined existence.’.... and “‘Cherish Lilibet?

“I wonder if that word is enough to express what is in me.

“Does one cherish one’s sense of humour or one’s musical ear or one’s eyes?

“I am not sure but I know that I thank God for them and so, very humbly I thank God for Lilibet and for us.’”

He has been her strength and stay indeed, but she has been the home he never had.

His childhood was awful - his father abandoned the family, his mother had mental problems and he was passed from pillar to post, living with relatives. He said that marrying Elizabeth gave him the first home he'd ever known.
<snip>
He has been her strength and stay indeed, but she has been the home he never had.
One of his Mountbatten cousins said that once as a young man when he signed a visitor's book at a country house party he marked his residence as "no fixed abode." He was literally homeless when he married Princess Elizabeth (he was crashing most nights at his Grandmother Victoria Marchioness of Milford-Haven's KP apartment.)

Last edited:
I’ve read that he’s fiercely protective of The Queen (who is innately very shy) when they’re in public - if he senses that she’s uncomfortable, he will jump in to lighten the burden for her, or steer her off in a different direction. That’s devotion!

Philip always seemed like he hates muss and fuss and to dos when it comes to birthdays, special events and such. He doesn't like people making a big deal over him as if he was a prized race horse or something. Its just the way he is. He's straightforward and straight shooting and beating around the bush is done when you're out on a shoot and they have beaters for that. Philip is the kind of man that makes his mind up to do something and that's exactly what he does. He's the total opposite of what we'd call a sycophant.

He's also dedicated, loyal, trustworthy and a strong man to have on your side in an argument. The Queen has realized this was the kind of man she needed from almost first sight when she was 13. They both suit each other perfectly.

Lady Pamela Hicks, ( daughter of Lord Louis Mountbatten and therefore cousin to Prince Philip) was with them at Treetops in Kenya on 6th February 1952 , when the news came through about the death of King George VI. Lady Pamela has spoken in an interview that Prince Philip was told of the news and he took the Princess Elizabeth for a walk in the garden. Lady Pamela says Philip talked and talked to his wife and now his Queen about her fathers death and about what the couple could expect on their return home.

Life as they knew it was now changed forever. Once an equal now he had to defer to her in public. A new Queen aged 25 yrs was fortunate to have a real Prince, tall, goodlooking, a man who knew the European royals very well, a man who was willing to give her unconditional support and the kind of deference a man is to show his Queen, who happens to be his wife.

It can't have been easy for either of them to get used to this enormous shift in their dynamic regarding their marriage and public outings. Her Majesty was fortunate to have the experienced Sir Winston Churchill as her first Prime Minister to guide her through the first few years of her reign.

When Her Majesty said in a speech that her husband was "her strength and her stay throughout all these years." She meant it. She never says anything she doesn't mean.

I've always liked Prince Philip and his salty sense of humour. It defines the man.

Back
Top Bottom