The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-11-2021, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Just read an article that Prince Andreas managed to restore his innocence and honor and was allowed to return in Greece around 1936, when his first cousin King George II returned from exile.
Weather prince Andreas stayed in Greece for along, it is not explain.
There is a relative TV broadcast, I will try to watch it tonight.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Just read an article that Prince Andreas managed to restore his innocence and honor and was allowed to return in Greece around 1936, when his first cousin King George II returned from exile.
Weather prince Andreas stayed in Greece for along, it is not explain.
There is a relative TV broadcast, I will try to watch it tonight.
I always thought that was just a brief return and he went back to Monte Carlo?

Old 04-11-2021, 03:39 PM
Majesty

I think he spent most of his life in exile....(Andrew)
Old 04-11-2021, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

As far as I know, he was officially cleared in 1936, just after the monarchy was restored, and went back for a brief visit, but then went back to the Riviera ... more because he was happy living it up there with his mistress, whilst other people were looking after his son, than for any political reason!
Old 04-11-2021, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

He possibly went back to Greece to have his allowances restored?
Old 04-11-2021, 05:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolopoulus View Post

I imagine that after the First World War, in the Britain navy would require British nationality to gain access to it. These harsh laws were imposed in many countries after the First World War.
Even today you don't have to be British to serve in the British military. You can be a citizen of a Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland.

In 1939 you could be a citizen of anywhere and citizens of the US, all European countries etc were welcomed - so long as they took the relevant oaths.

Philip was a citizen of a number of countries (he didn't even realise that he was born a citizen of Britain until the 1950s under the Sophia Naturalisation Act. Had that been realised in 1947 he would never have even had to go through the citizenship process in the UK ... which he didn't do until 1947 and his citizenship is clearly registered in that year.)

His military records show him as a citizen of Greece and Denmark prior to that. It is interesting to note that until Greece entered the war Philip wasn't allowed on a ship in the active war areas of the war so was out of harm's way but once Greece was invaded he was able to get permission to be in a active war zone and that is because the British navy and government regarded him as a citizen of Greece. He had asked to be allowed to serve in a war zone after Denmark was invaded but was denied as he was a Greek citizen, even though he was also a Danish citizen.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:00 PM
Royal Highness

Or as a matter of pride. Never being allowed to go home again is extremely hurtful, so even a brief visit means you aren't in exile.

(If Andrea had any allowance restored, it didn't do him much good wrt to the dying broke part.)
Old 04-11-2021, 07:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Even today you don't have to be British to serve in the British military. You can be a citizen of a Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland.

In 1939 you could be a citizen of anywhere and citizens of the US, all European countries etc were welcomed - so long as they took the relevant oaths.

Philip was a citizen of a number of countries (he didn't even realise that he was born a citizen of Britain until the 1950s under the Sophia Naturalisation Act. Had that been realised in 1947 he would never have even had to go through the citizenship process in the UK ... which he didn't do until 1947 and his citizenship is clearly registered in that year.)

His military records show him as a citizen of Greece and Denmark prior to that. It is interesting to note that until Greece entered the war Philip wasn't allowed on a ship in the active war areas of the war so was out of harm's way but once Greece was invaded he was able to get permission to be in a active war zone and that is because the British navy and government regarded him as a citizen of Greece. He had asked to be allowed to serve in a war zone after Denmark was invaded but was denied as he was a Greek citizen, even though he was also a Danish citizen.

I have no idea about British immigration law in the 1930s, but, assuming Philip was not a British citizen (i.e. disregarding the Sophia Act), how did he live permanently with the Mountbattens in England ? I guess what I am asking is what his immigration status was at the time.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I have no idea about British immigration law in the 1930s, but, assuming Philip was not a British citizen (i.e. disregarding the Sophia Act), how did he live permanently with the Mountbattens in England ? I guess what I am asking is what his immigration status was at the time.
I'm not sure, given the familial relationship with the royal family, that his immigration status would have been questioned by immigration officials the same way some random Greek refugee with no relatives in the UK would have been questioned.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:04 PM
Majesty

But he didn’t live permanently with the Mountbattens when in England. He was very fond of his Uncle George Milford Haven but after his death from cancer he often stayed with family friends and sometimes extended family in the school holidays as well as at the Mountbatten home with his cousins. Dickie Mountbatten and his wife Edwina were often away on separate trips anyway.

In the 1930s he also spent time with his sisters in Germany, especially Sophie, and sometimes was on holiday in Romania, with the young King Michael and his mother Helen. All the royals at that time seemed to flit from country to country and there didn’t seem to be trouble with immigration laws.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
But he didn’t live permanently with the Mountbattens when in England. He was very fond of his Uncle George Milford Haven but after his death from cancer he often stayed with family friends and sometimes extended family in the school holidays as well as at the Mountbatten home with his cousins. Dickie Mountbatten and his wife Edwina were often away on separate trips anyway.

Regardless of whom he lived with, he lived permanently in the UK despite not being a British subject, which was the point I was trying to make.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
His mother was born in Britain and if such things mattered then I am.suee he had it through her.

He was a student and then joined the navy. Hardly important really.wven today people wouldn't question it.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I'm sure I read somewhere recently that Philip was 5th in line for the Greek throne when he was born ... but that doesn't sound right, because Constantine I had two living sons, then there were two other brothers ahead of Andrew. Having said which, I'm not 100% sure who was and wasn't excluded when because of all the abdications and reinstations! But Philip was certainly in line, and fairly close.
Princess Alice seemed to think that Philip had a shot at inheriting the Greek throne in the late 1930s. The Hugo Vickers biography of Princess Alice includes a letter she wrote to her son after she moved back to Athens. Alice noted that King George II had no children, Crown Prince Paul did not yet have children, Prince George was elderly, and his son Prince Peter had been disowned for a morgantic marriage. Prince Nicholas had already passed and he only had daughters. Next in line was Prince Andrew, and then Philip. Alice felt that it was important for Philip to return to Greece to be prepared in case he became the heir, so she took a two-bedroom apartment in Athens and invited him to live with her. But her brother had already persuaded Philip to enroll in the Royal Naval College. Once Paul got married in 1938 and had children, Philip was off the hook.

I need to dig that book out of the moving boxes and double-check the date, but I just moved and I'm not sure which box it could be in!
Old 04-12-2021, 07:56 PM
Courtier

This is such a dumb question and I apologize if it’s in the wrong place. But, I can’t seem to locate any middle names at all for Prince Philip. I know I’m used to all of the European royal families, including the BRF, having at least two middle names and sometimes many more but maybe that wasn’t how things were done in Greece?
Old 04-12-2021, 08:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
This is such a dumb question and I apologize if it’s in the wrong place. But, I can’t seem to locate any middle names at all for Prince Philip. I know I’m used to all of the European royal families, including the BRF, having at least two middle names and sometimes many more but maybe that wasn’t how things were done in Greece?
It doesn't seem to be tradition within the Greek royal family to have middle names. It seems an exception that Pavlos' children have hyphenated first names (but formally no middle names either).
Old 04-12-2021, 08:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
Princess Alice seemed to think that Philip had a shot at inheriting the Greek throne in the late 1930s. The Hugo Vickers biography of Princess Alice includes a letter she wrote to her son after she moved back to Athens. Alice noted that King George II had no children, Crown Prince Paul did not yet have children, Prince George was elderly, and his son Prince Peter had been disowned for a morgantic marriage. Prince Nicholas had already passed and he only had daughters. Next in line was Prince Andrew, and then Philip. Alice felt that it was important for Philip to return to Greece to be prepared in case he became the heir, so she took a two-bedroom apartment in Athens and invited him to live with her. But her brother had already persuaded Philip to enroll in the Royal Naval College. Once Paul got married in 1938 and had children, Philip was off the hook.

I need to dig that book out of the moving boxes and double-check the date, but I just moved and I'm not sure which box it could be in!
I have the book: "Freddy is expecting in June [of 1940], & we are hoping for an heir."

Were you looking for something in particular?
Old 04-12-2021, 09:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
In Orthodox Christianity, we don't have middle names. I can't speak of Greece in particular but in most Orthodox countries I can think of we have a first name (it might be hyphenated as well), a second name derived from the father and a family name. I won't be surprised it it holds true for Greek names as well and Prince Philip was named under this tradition. He was born Orthodox, after all. But I'll be interested if someone from Greece can explain the lack of second name. Perhaps it's a Greek thing or simply a Greek royal thing? That's if I'm right about the second name derived from the father being valid there as well.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
In Orthodox Christianity, we don't have middle names. I can't speak of Greece in particular but in most Orthodox countries I can think of we have a first name (it might be hyphenated as well), a second name derived from the father and a family name. I won't be surprised it it holds true for Greek names as well and Prince Philip was named under this tradition. He was born Orthodox, after all.
Thank you for the explanation. I wasn’t aware of that but that’s very interesting. So, if I’m understanding correctly, he would have had his first name, a second name, and then a family name or, in the case of royalty, a territory such as “of Greece and Denmark.” So, in this case, Prince Philip ??? of Greece and Denmark. But I’ve never been able to find a second name for him. Has anyone else?
Old 04-12-2021, 09:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Thank you for the explanation. I wasn’t aware of that but that’s very interesting. So, if I’m understanding correctly, he would have had his first name, a second name, and then a family name or, in the case of royalty, a territory such as “of Greece and Denmark.” So, in this case, Prince Philip ??? of Greece and Denmark. But I’ve never been able to find a second name for him. Has anyone else?
It's either a Greek tradition or a Greek royal tradition. Right now, I was trying to find a second name for his father as well and failed. But if I'm right and there should be a second name, it would be Prince Philip Second Name of Greece and Denmark. Or simply Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark. I think only the Russian tradition and perhaps the tradition of some of the members of the former USSR actively use the second name. (BTW, I strongly dislike the naming system in my country because it was cruel to the children born to unmarried mothers by fathers who hadn't legally recognized them. Because the second name is obligatory, in these cases it's derived from the mother's, making it immediately clear to everyone that this child has no father. It's different now but when I was a child, it was a great stigma and such children were relentlessly teased.)

We'll have to wait for some Greek posters to explain, I think.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:47 PM
Majesty

None of King George I of Greece’s children were given more than one name I believe from all I’ve read, nor were any of Prince Philip’s sisters. Perhaps it was a tradition within the Orthodox Church in those days.