Prince Philip in Hospital for "Exploratory Operation": June 6-17, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Medical problems are always very personal. With Philip being The Queen's Consort, his age, his many hospitalizations and the period that's required for him to rest, it's causing everyone some concern...even members of the media.

I guess it's up to Prince Philip and palace officials to let everyone know what's really going on. I think they will continue to provide updates and probably mention something from the results. If not, the media will really go into speculation if they see Philip's continuing decline.

The media will speculate and speculate until Philip comes out of hospital smiling and waving as he has done ever other time. Then they will say he is a remarkable old man.

Nice of Sophie to visit her father-in-law and bring him food, as she was carrying a cool-bag. It's nice that she visited him on her own as well as it shows she has a good relationship with him. I should imagine the grandkids will all visit at some point, as well as the other children.

Last edited:
I'd imagine if he is going to be in for two weeks the children and grandchildren are spacing their visits, maybe one visit a day, so he still gets to see everyone without disturbing him too much

I don't think children, if by that you mean Louise, will visit at all. If he is only able to manage 1person a day for up to 30 minutes they young children are a no no. Also not good for the children either.

all the children and most of the grand Holden are in London in the coming days for the Trooping the Colour, so that gives them a chance, probably priority given to those who are not generally based in London.

If what someone said about the specialties of the doctor and the fact that he had laproscopic surgery, another poster, perhaps he had his gallbladder removed. Why all this is secret is foolish. He is a public figure and public figures are just that.

If what someone said about the specialties of the doctor and the fact that he had laproscopic surgery, another poster, perhaps he had his gallbladder removed. Why all this is secret is foolish. He is a public figure and public figures are just that.

He is entitled to privacy IMO when it comes to medical matters. It doesn't make an iota of difference what the problem is, what matters is that he is being treated for it.

I really do think the time has come for the Duke to finally retire. He certainly deserves some rest! I know how committed he is to his wife and his role, but no one would envy him a quiet life for the first time in his life. He deserves to spend his last years with no stress and enjoying time with his family, grandchildren and great grandchildren. The Queen also deserves to take it much, much easier than she has been.

What he deserves is to make his own mind up. If he wanted to take it easy he could have done any time for the past 25 years (allowing +/- for normal retirement age).

Front line royals do not retire and he is someone who will "die in harness" as the saying goes. We can all wish him to go on for longer, but his quality of life is IMO as important, if not more important that the quantity of life.

I don't think children, if by that you mean Louise, will visit at all. If he is only able to manage 1person a day for up to 30 minutes they young children are a no no. Also not good for the children either.

all the children and most of the grand Holden are in London in the coming days for the Trooping the Colour, so that gives them a chance, probably priority given to those who are not generally based in London.

I can imagine Louise is quite capable of sitting in a chair for 20 minutes to visit her grandpa.

I think it all depends on whether Phillip has tubes all over. When I had a pulmonary embolism, it scared my grandchildren, and they were older than Louise.

I don't think the Duke will retire, the Queen Mother didn't and I bet Philip will be damned if he'll stop doing anything the Queen Mother managed to do. However I think the Queen, her family and staff will slowly persuade the Duke to do less and less, we've already seen this a little since his last health problems. He'll continue to support charities and good causes and be at important events but prehaps less travelling and more rest.

What he deserves is to make his own mind up. If he wanted to take it easy he could have done any time for the past 25 years (allowing +/- for normal retirement age).

Front line royals do not retire and he is someone who will "die in harness" as the saying goes. We can all wish him to go on for longer, but his quality of life is IMO as important, if not more important that the quantity of life.

Very well said :flowers: Philip will do what Philip wants to, we've seen that time and time again.

Louise and James didn't visit the Duke when the rest of the grandchildren went when he was ill over christmas(2011?) So I don't think they will this time, just the grown up grandchildren and of course HM and Philip's children.

^^^ Those posts are probably true and accurate, but he wouldn't have tubes and wound dressings the whole time he is in hospital. They may visit towards the end of the two week stay. Admittedly I was surprised to see them visit last year.

Of course Louise and James are much younger than their cousins, but I would think that any grandparent would want to see their grandkids, and as they are young they may cheer him up.

Louise and James are still in school. James is definitely too young since we don't seem go to events with the family. Does he even do the balcony at trooping? William, Kate and Harry will be back for trooping so they may visit this weekend.

Louise and James are still in school. James is definitely too young since we don't seem go to events with the family. Does he even do the balcony at trooping? William, Kate and Harry will be back for trooping so they may visit this weekend.

James not being able to attend the formal events with the family is different from him not being able to visit his grandfather in the hospital.

Formal events tend to be long and (for a child) dull. James probably doesn't have the attention span yet to be able to sit through them, so his parents don't bring him. Him being able to sit for a time with his grandfather for a time is completely different - I'm sure he does that on a more regular basis outside of the hospital. Depending on how visible the DoE's ailments are, it's very reasonable to believe that James might visit for a time - it may even be fun for him. I personally remember visiting y grandad while he was in the hospital when I was very young and at the time had no clue of what the seriousness of his illness meant, just that it was fun to play with grandad's bed and push him down the hall in a wheelchair with my brother. As an adult it's one of the few memories I have of my grandad (he died shortly after) and think back on those times rather fondly.

:previous: If I hadn't been taken to visit my grandmother when she was in hospital, I would have very few memories of her at all. She died when I was six, and she'd had strokes and couldn't speak well, but I fondly remember those visits and her pleasure at seeing me. Of course she didn't have tubes sticking out of her all over the place so she didn't look scary.

Last edited:
I doubt, from laproscopic surgery, Philip has tubes sticking out all over him. But, of course, they lie, so who really knows what has occurred. When you are in a high power job, on the Public payroll, your health issues are public. This mystique disappeared years ago. Philip may live for many years, he may die, tomorrow. No one knows and all this Bravado is nonsense.

Sophie's life of privilege hits home when you see the video of her car, equipped with special flashing lights, and her driver pull right up to the entrance of the hospital and wait right there for her to emerge 20 minutes later. When I think of all the difficult hospital parking lots and long and difficult routes to get inside...

You bet and no one cared if you smiled or didn't. It was your own pain. You didn't dress, as Elizabeth, did , yesterday, in a suit that would fee a family for a month and jewelry, when you were worried about your husband. You just went. No fanfare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt, from laproscopic surgery, Philip has tubes sticking out all over him. But, of course, they lie, so who really knows what has occurred. When you are in a high power job, on the Public payroll, your health issues are public. This mystique disappeared years ago. Philip may live for many years, he may die, tomorrow. No one knows and all this Bravado is nonsense.

Who on earth told you it is laparoscopy?
It was LAPAROTOMY..An exploratory Laparotomy..
A wide incision is made from xiphisternum to umbilicus, opened, inspected, dissected and samples collected..
And there will be tubes to drain out some fluid and prevent infection.
No one is doing "bravado". They are just discussing out of concern for him.
And If this is nonsense you can stay away from this thread with peace..

Last edited:
You bet and no one cared if you smiled or didn't. It was your own pain. You didn't dress, as Elizabeth, did , yesterday, in a suit that would fee a family for a month and jewelry, when you were worried about your husband. You just went. No fanfare.
I was referring to Sophie, not Queen Elizabeth, I refer to a daughter-in law visiting her father in law. The pain you describe, suffered by a wife or daughter, is a different story. The duty HM has always shown, is exemplary, I admire her in every way.
And, I think I would have smiled if someone drove me to the hospital and held the door for me and waited for me.

Who on earth told you it is laparoscopy?
I, apologize, I thought that is what I read. And, why if that is true, did they do that, because, as I have said, they will not do chemo or radiation at his age. So for what purpose? The tubes will be minimal. If he were a patient on your insurance plans he would be home by now. I happen to like him, quite a great deal, but also, know hype when I see it. He would hate it, too. He is a witty and practical man, I think many views have been fabricated. Unfortunately, the queen has been raised to buck up, no matter the situation. It is okay to have feelings.

the queen has been raised to buck up, no matter the situation. It is okay to have feelings.

Okay one thing.. Maybe I read this wrong
Okay we don't know What Feelings/Emotions The Queen has in Private behind Closed doors. Just because we don't see her shredding Emotins or tears in public does mean she emotionless in Private. She has only showed Emotions a few times in public and not because she stuff but she can't (Ok I read somewhere anyway so forgive me if this is wrong) show much emotions or cry in public because it make her look/seem weak. Again we don't know if she has cried in private (which I am sure she has as it in human nature) or if she gas stayed awake at night worrying about her husband or other things.

P.S look up on Google ' Three Queens in Mourning'

Last edited:
I, apologize, I thought that is what I read. And, why if that is true, did they do that, because, as I have said, they will not do chemo or radiation at his age. So for what purpose? The tubes will be minimal. If he were a patient on your insurance plans he would be home by now. I happen to like him, quite a great deal, but also, know hype when I see it. He would hate it, too. He is a witty and practical man, I think many views have been fabricated. Unfortunately, the queen has been raised to buck up, no matter the situation. It is okay to have feelings.

With an exploratory laparotomy there are several abdominal drains. Patients aren't released from the hospital until they're able to pass gas ,have a bowel movement,and are able to tolerate at least a full liquid or soft diet.

Also at his age with any surgery most people need some type of rehabilitation because their motor strength declines quickly. Elderly patients having surgery are at increased risk for infection and cardiac complications. So no, he would not be home by now. I'm not sure why the press keeps saying it'll only be two weeks. No one knows but his treating physicians and they really don't know. It's day by day depending on how the patient progresses

Also there seems to be an underlying speculation that he has some type of gastrointestinal cancer. Surgeons do operate on elderly patients who have cancer if they have bowel obstruction or if there's a concern that the lesion will cause an obstruction. Removing this type of lesion often allows the patient to eat and have a better quality of life for as long as they can. Again we don't know what he has ,but I'm just making a point that just because a patient is not a candidate for chemotherapy or radiation does not mean that they might not get some other type of intervention. There are evidence based guidelines but ultimately everything is on a case-by-case basis.

Hope this is not too far off topic I hope he gets well soon

Last edited:
You are correct, correct, correct. Even for a person in tip top shape, abdominal surgery is five days in hospital minimum as the bowels are traumatized and they shut down. You ain't leavin' that hospital until the digestive tract and bowels are in full working order. And correct on the rehabilitation needed for the elderly.

Also, for every hour of general anesthesia received, I believe it's one week for the body and liver to recover, and this is for those in best of health. Add on top of that medications for the liver to process, and it's that much more so.

It doesn't mean he can't recover, but it will be a very, very slow process.

My hope is that he is back in form for the baby's christening.

Yes, I agree. Also, just because he is 92 does NOT mean he is automatically not a candidate for chemotherapy or radiation therapy. Both of those are not always used in full force for a cure; sometimes they are used in smaller doses, less frequently, or for a shorter period of time to shrink a tumor to help the quality of life (decrease pain, shrink a tumor they are not able to completely remove, prevent bowel obstruction, plus many others). They both can be used for long-term comfort, not for cure.

My mom's best friend's husband died a month ago, seven days before his 75th birthday. He was in the hospital being investigated for a bowel obstruction (he'd had several of those, even surgery, due to polyps) and he had a brain aneurysm on Mother's Day morning. He never woke up, and died that night. His wife almost lost him before several years ago, when he had brain surgery. My mom went to the visitation but not the funeral, and took her friend out for coffee a week or so later. She told my mom the house is very quiet, and it hasn't sunk in yet. Her sister is staying with her right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom