Prince Philip in Hospital for "Exploratory Operation": June 6-17, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
Well said.

Last edited by a moderator:
During my mother's major surgery 18 months ago, my siblings and I all were there, waiting. However, unlike most of us, the queen has instant access to information, and I'm sure will be updated as the surgery progresses, and should the need arise, can be whisked there at a moments notice. Thus I see no point in her sitting in a waiting room in the clinic, Phillip will be under anesthesia and won't know what's happening until he wakes up anyway and the Queen will have been informed of what the surgery revealed long before he regains consciousness. Best to learn the news privately particularly if it's not good news. The queen is an expert at 'stay calm and carry on' if she behaved otherwise speculation would run wild.

Caring friends and associates support others when they need help - they don't force opinions. I say, let's all support the Royal Family however/whenever they visit, call, send good thoughts, etc. Or when they don't. Let's let them make those family decisions and we'll just stand by and support them and wish them well.

I know when my family has been sick, that's the kind of support I needed. I'd send a casserole to BP - but doubt it would get past the door. ;)

Most worrisome! Best wishes to HRH and strength for HM. :ohmy:

Best wishes to His Highness for a speedy recovery, and good health. It's sad that he'll be missing Trooping the Colour and Garter Day, but his health comes first.

Why? HM trained as a mechanic during WWII, not a medic.There is nothing she could do. Her presence would just create more disturbance inside and outside the hospital than would be good for anyone.

If someone I love dearly is having surgery or at the hospital for any reason I am camping out there whether I am a doctor or not. William is going to be there when Kate has the baby despite him not being a trained medic; I am not saying that Elizabeth has to be there just pointing out that being there for someone you love is not a waste of time.

If someone I love dearly is having surgery or at the hospital for any reason I am camping out there whether I am a doctor or not. William is going to be there when Kate has the baby despite him not being a trained medic; I am not saying that Elizabeth has to be there just pointing out that being there for someone you love is not a waste of time.

I hope Philip lives to see William and Kate's baby.

I hope Philip lives to see William and Kate's baby.

Please lets not put the cart before the horse. I don't remember reading anything that stated that this hospitalization may be because of some "dire" circumstances or that its in any way an emergency. Of course any surgical procedures carry risks but I've not seen anything to indicate that Philip's is anything other than exploratory.

As far as the Queen being at the hospital, I do believe that she will go on with her scheduled engagements. We have to remember too that Philip is very much a "no muss no fuss" kind of guy and probably wouldn't appreciate people hovering around or fussing around him. After his procedure, his main job is to rest and from experience, sometimes having visitors can be very tiring and stressful if the only thing you really want to do is sleep. With phone calls, HM can talk to the doctors and staff for updates and talk to Philip when he feels up to phone calls.

It's all speculation as to what the Duke suffers from,besides a huge stamina to live that is!And I count on him again,he will pull through this one again...And please,let people stop googling or looking up their medical enceclopedia as to what sort of systems are in the neighbourhood of the underbelly...I must say,the two weeks are a long time,but he's being closely monitored at any rate.Come on Phil,you've been there before!!

Anne was there, but the focus of the media is never on her.

She was there, alright, and she looked smashing. She was wearing a new outfit, I think. She doesn't get new outfits often, but when she does she really makes a mark.

I'm sure all the children and grandchildren were thinking of their father/grandfather's forthcoming surgery and the possibility that this might be the last time he attends one of these fancy dos.

She was there, alright, and she looked smashing. She was wearing a new outfit, I think. She doesn't get new outfits often, but when she does she really makes a mark.

I'm sure all the children and grandchildren were thinking of their father/grandfather's forthcoming surgery and the possibility that this might be the last time he attends one of these fancy dos.

My dad had a valve repair done three years ago, when he was 58, and my mom didn't tell me and my brothers about it until later that afternoon, when it was over. She had gone to see him after lunch, when he was still asleep (the surgery was at 8 in the morning, and lasted four or five hours). We all went to see him in the cardiac ward of the hospital a few days later, and his sister and her husband brought him home on Mother's Day, after a five-night hospital stay. He has a 4-inch horizontal scar just below his right breastbone, and two or three laparoscopy scars around it (they used a combination of the two).

Last edited:
She should be there during the surgery.

She should do what she is comfortable with, not act on other people's standards.
I am in complete agreement. The Queen is a very devout Christian and I am sure she has prayed and left it in the Lord's hands. She will do what is right for her and for her family.

I still do not understand why some people think HM should be in the hospital during Philip's surgery. How would that help either of them?
Actually, I think people are crossing that very nasty line where they are telling the Queen how she should feel and how she should act during her husband's hospitalization . . . in other words "show US that you care"!

Over the years and these last two in particular, they have shared with us during the Celebrations, the wonderful bond of love and care that has lasted over 60 years. And now we have the nasty little refrain coming back again from the ubiquitous "they". 'They' want to see photo's of a stressed or distressed Queen Elizabeth arrive or leave the hospital just like they did with Queen Beatrix, all they while television personalities commenting on what she is feeling. Ugh! How purile and gross!

This helps to explain some of the looks of concern of certain Members of the Family at the Service earlier this week. I can only imagine how many Prayers were being said privately during the Service that all goes well later today.

I'm really worried this time. It sounds like there's been quite a bit of testing beforehand to get to the bottom of whatever's going on, but nothing showed up or it did and the tests themselves were limited to what they were able to show. The fact the statement said this is an Exploratory Abdominal Surgery...You don't do that to anyone, especially someone the Duke's age, unless something serious or the suspicion of something serious is there.

I really, really hope I'm wrong, but I just have a really bad feeling about all of this. :(

Wishing His Royal Highness a problem free Operation and a Very Speedy Recovery. I will be keeping him, HM and the entire Family in my thoughts and prayers the next while.

Actually, I think people are crossing that very nasty line where they are telling the Queen how she should feel and how she should act during her husband's hospitalization . . . in other words "show US that you care"!

Which reminds me that royals of the older generation apparently don't like any fuss in connection with illnesses and hospitalization. Same thing with the Danish Royal family! I remember reading that in the days of King Frederik and Queen Ingrid illnesses were hardly ever mentioned within the family. 'One' suffered one's ordeals in private. Her Danish M and her sister Princess Benedikte have a spot of a similar dislike. Benedikte's husband Richard Zu-Sayn- Wittgenstein told Billed-Bladet about her reluctance to relate to patients when he had cancer some years ago.
Maybe there's a similar approach in other royal families??

My grandpa had a heart surgery when he was 93 years old and it went well. He died three years after...I hope the best for Prince Philip!

Well my thoughts and prayers are out there for all of the family. I also pray all goes well and that the Duke has a speedy recovery. We do not know exactly what is going on so we should not speculate on whether it is life threatening. We should all stay positive and send all the good energy we can his way. Yes he is old, but with his stubborn and unyielding resolve, he will make it through this situation. I for one will send my good wishes and good thoughts to him and pray that he recovers and comes through this in good spirits and good health. As for HM, she needs to continue doing what she needs to do. Remember, keep calm and carry on. All will be well.

Apart from the normal concern one might have when Philip becomes ill or someone is going into hospital for a routine exploratory operation, I have no worries about this at all, based on the fact that the Queen is continuing her engagements as usual (as I am sure other members of the royal family are) and the fact that Philip was looking his normal self yesterday - even after having felt under the weather earlier in the week.
Until the Queen cancels an engagement due to her husbands state of health, I think we can relax and simply send our best wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery.

The Queen has often sacrificed her own wants/needs in the name of duty. So I wouldn't use her preforming her usual routine as an indicator of how serious things are with Prince Phillip.

LaRae

And now we have the nasty little refrain coming back again from the ubiquitous "they". 'They' want to see photo's of a stressed or distressed Queen Elizabeth arrive or leave the hospital just like they did with Queen Beatrix, all they while television personalities commenting on what she is feeling. Ugh! How purile and gross!

It really is. And actually, 'they' miss the reality which is that it must be awful for the Queen not to be able to visit her husband as any other wife would. As soon as it was announced that the Duke was in hospital, the press descended and the police had to set up crash barriers. Every time the Queen visited, more paps would turn up not to mention the disruption to the other patients. I think it's a testament to the Queen's considerate nature that she doesn't visit the Duke every day, as much as she might like to. And he understands that, how could he not after all these years? It's one of those sacrifices a Royal Family has to make and it must be hard. Over the years, we've tended to forget duty but the Queen has a remarkable dedication to hers with all that the constraints that it comes with.

CNN's Max Foster is outside the hospital and he just mentioned on CNN that the senior press team has entered the hospital so he suspect we'll be getting an update on Prince Philip soon. Max thinks the surgery has been performed.

The Queen has often sacrificed her own wants/needs in the name of duty. So I wouldn't use her preforming her usual routine as an indicator of how serious things are with Prince Phillip.

LaRae

I disagree, if he was at death's door about to draw his last breath I doubt she'd be on an engagement - she would be at his side and we would justifyably be worrying for him. I therefore have every expectation of the success of today's operation and Philip's recovery from it and will not fret until more is known.

Louisa Compton (BBC) ‏@louisa_compton 2h
From today: John Humprys: How is Prince Philip? Queen: I don't know. JH: Well he was looking well yesterday.. Q: That's because he's not ill

Tim Ewart‏@EwartRoyale 26m
Prince Edward on the Duke of Edinburgh's condition: "no idea, you tell me. "

Last edited:
Tim Ewart ‏@EwartRoyale 3h
The Queen asked about Duke's hospital condition at BBC says "I don't know. He's only just gone in."

Tim Ewart ‏@EwartRoyale 28m

If the description of his medical condition and surgery was less vague, there would be a lot less speculation. Trying to maintain any privacy at all must be extremely dificult for them as it just triggers speculation and rumors.

If the description of his medical condition and surgery was less vague, there would be a lot less speculation. Trying to maintain any privacy at all must be extremely dificult for them as it just triggers speculation and rumors.

The trouble is, as soon as they mentioned the words "exploratory operation" and said it was a result of an endoscopy, every news room in the world found a GP and asked them to give a diagnosis. All they needed was for one to use the words "serious" or "cancer" or "dangerous" and they had their quote to make this sound terrible. I doubt many of us would like our private medical records made public (I know that's not what you're suggesting! :flowers:) and the Duke of Edinburgh is no different. I think we've all got into the habit of reading too much into palace statements because in the past, they've actively hidden the facts (the Queen Mother's poor health for example). I think that all of us, the media included, should take the Palace at it's word and stop the speculation. It can't be nice for the Queen to read.

Louisa Compton (BBC) ‏@louisa_compton 2h
From today: John Humprys: How is Prince Philip? Queen: I don't know. JH: Well he was looking well yesterday.. Q: That's because he's not ill

Tim Ewart‏@EwartRoyale 26m

Which Prince Edward? What a good reply though.

I love the Queen's reply, she makes me giggle.

Which Prince Edward? What a good reply though.

I love the Queen's reply, she makes me giggle.

Earl of Wessex, who is also known as Prince Edward. The Duke of Kent is only ever known as The Duke of Kent.

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 28m
Queen's grandson Peter Phillips on Prince Philip : "our thoughts and prayers are with him....we know that he's in good hands"

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal 9m
#royal the #Queen's physician has just left the London Clinic - he looked happy - feels as if things may have gone well.

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal 2m
#royal #Philip - just to clarify, it feel to me, from #Queen's physician's demeanour, that all seems well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom