Prince Philip in Hospital for "Exploratory Operation": June 6-17, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:sad: It's a worry. My concern is that they're now saying that the Duke knew he'd have to have this operation based on the results of tests last week. They're saying it's an exploratory abdominal procedure. It sounds pretty serious for a man of his great age. Here's hoping all will be well.

Not an emergency

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 21m
Palace sources saying Philip's hospital stay not related to his cancelling the engagement on Monday evening when he simply lost his voice

Philip was told last week he would need the exploratory surgery during a routine examination by palace doctors

Aides say Philip walked into hospital himself and is not in pain

Sky news saying he likely may have had an endoscope to explore inside,going down his throat. Maybe this led to a sore throat/lose of voice

Sky news saying he likely may have had an endoscope to explore inside,going down his throat. Maybe this led to a sore throat/lose of voice

That wouldn't take two weeks, unless they expect to find something.....

According to Sky news, he had a scope down his throat which caused him some voice problems afterwards - this would have presumably to look at his oesophagus and stomach, possibly for anaemia. No doubt he had a scope up the other end too, though they haven't mentioned that one as yet!
I think this all points towards a gastrointestinal problem, rather than bladder this time.

They've already done it. By the sounds of it, they've done an endoscopy and found something that needs further investigation via surgery. The same happened with my sister a few years back and they found she had Crohns Disease. There's a thousand things it could be, some very serious and some just causing mild discomfort.

Sorry i meant it as he had already had an endescope, so this may have led to him cancelling Monday's engagements.

I'm watching the BBC Coverage. I hope the operation goes well but it must be major but I think his age must be a factor for him to be in the hospital for two weeks.

We'll miss Prince Philip at the Trooping of the Colour and Order of the Garter Ceremonies.

My thoughts and prayers are with him and the royal family and I hope Prince Philip get well soon.

Also, I did see Prince Philip cough a couple of times during the Coronation Anniversary Service on Tuesday. I don't want to speculate but that's what I saw.

Last edited:
I wish him a full recovery and I hope they ascertain what his ailments are. I often forget he's 92 (soon).

Well, it might not be an actual surgery, but more like probes being well... it's not pleasant.
And scanning.

The first thing that springs to mind is possible cancer in the bladder or intestines.
First thing I thought of too. I certainly hope not. I really do love Prince Philip.

From RoyalCentral Via Twitter:

@RoyalCentral: Doctors on the BBC are saying that Prince Philip will be having a 'fairly major procedure' and that his admission could be cause for concern

I recently had major surgery and stayed for about 3 weeks in the hospital so 2 weeks especially for a man his age is remarkable. I'm assuming then doctors feel he will recover fairly quickly if they are aiming for 2 weeks.

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 1m
Before going to hospital, Philip cancelled 2 engagements in the past six days. On Monday he missed a reception because he'd lost his voice

Now we know why he cancelled the reception engagement.

I hope he's OK. It does sound quite worrying.

From RoyalCentral Via Twitter:

@RoyalCentral: Doctors on the BBC are saying that Prince Philip will be having a 'fairly major procedure' and that his admission could be cause for concern

...and just to put things in perspective...not one of these "Doctors on the BBC" have examined Prince Philip or seen his test results from last week.

Of course they are going to say that. I am not saying that they are wrong but I could see BP holding back information or not releasing everything

You do realise that 3 days ago DOE didn't attend an engagement with The Queen due to illness? He then attended the coronation service, another engagement yesterday and a garden party today and on all three occasions he looked pretty fine for a man of 91?

This looks like a pre-planned operation due to some kind of issue.

...and just to put things in perspective...not one of these "Doctors on the BBC" have examined Prince Philip or seen his test results from last week.

Thank You! :flowers:

Last edited:
If it helps any of you to worry then you should. I'm going to wait until after the procedure on Friday and when we find out if there is a problem. The media are ramping this up ahead of any specific information other than that given by the Palace and speculating all over the place.

Having your abdomen cut open is a major procedure. :whistling:

Is that's what actually happeneing? Is his abdoman being cut open? I haven't seen that in any news reports.

Just to be Phillips health into perspective at 91 years old by the way,

"Philip, 91, has been admitted to hospital three other times in the past two years after suffering health scares.

In August 2012, he was treated at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary for a bladder infection.

He spent four days in hospital over Christmas 2011, following an operation to clear a blocked heart artery.

And after attending events to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in June, he was admitted to hospital for five nights, missing several days of festivities after sustaining a bladder infection."

2 bladder infection and a blocked artery now a planned abdominal procedure.

I agree, it seems like this operation was planned but I think he tried to be there for The Queen before he was due to go into the hospital.

I would imagine it's an issue he has been having and now, as the operation denotes, it's exploratory. This essentially means "trying to find a cause" (exploratory laparotomy is another type of diagnosis operation). I hope it isn't anything too serious, but if it is I am sure he will receive the best care possible and suitable for a man of his age.

Get well soon Prince Phillip!

Is that's what actually happeneing? Is his abdoman being cut open? I haven't seen that in any news reports.

Just to be Phillips health into perspective at 91 years old by the way,

"Philip, 91, has been admitted to hospital three other times in the past two years after suffering health scares.

In August 2012, he was treated at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary for a bladder infection.

He spent four days in hospital over Christmas 2011, following an operation to clear a blocked heart artery.

And after attending events to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in June, he was admitted to hospital for five nights, missing several days of festivities after sustaining a bladder infection."

2 bladder infection and a blocked artery now a planned abdominal procedure.

From what i read he's being put under anesthesia and he is having an abdominal operation.

"Exploratory" usually means they're going to cut and open, unless they know exactly what to look for and where to look. But then it wouldn't be "exploratory". We'll just have to wait and see. Could even be pancreatitis...

Oh no.

Best wishes to HRH.

This is a quote from Post #45 from Canroyal

..and just to put things in perspective...not one of these "Doctors on the BBC" have examined Prince Philip or seen his test results from last week.

One of the most sensible posts on this thread to date.

From what i read he's being put under anesthesia and he is having an abdominal operation.

I am sorry to hear that the Duke is having some medical problems but fact it, at almost 92 years of age, he's not exactly the man of steel. He's really been incredibly healthy and has kept on doing things that keep him fit and happy.

Here's what we do know. He is going into the London Clinic for an exploratory abdominal procedure. It has been planned rather than an admittance of an emergency nature. The only thing we can say for sure about the procedure is that it isn't a cesarean section. He will have a two week recuperation period in the hospital. It could be an invasive surgery, it could be a laparoscopy, it could be many things but lets hope that the press sticks to the facts.

One question that's crossed my mind. Isn't the London Clinic where Prince Friso is?

I would like to respectfully offer my best wishes to the Duke and the Royal Family, and my prayers for his recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom