Prince Philip in Hospital after Suffering Chest Pains: December 24-27, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word on what the family did today? Did they end up going hunting?

This is not meant to be rude, Lady Gabrielle, but in the UK, 'hunting' is used when referring to riding to hounds [fox hunting etc.] What many Americans refer to as 'hunting' is referred to as 'shooting' in the UK. I hope you don't mind me pointing this out. To return to the main question, I do not know whether some form of shoot has gone ahead at Sandringham over the holiday period. News of this will doubtless emerge in due course.

Whilst on to the clarifications and corrections etc, could I reassure those forum members who were surprised when I posted earlier about the photo of the Queen striking a pheasant with her 'priest'. This was of course not one of her chaplains!! A 'priest' is a short wooden stick used on shoots!

Alex

Last edited:
So glad to hear that His Highness is going home. He can spend some time with his family and hopefully relax a little.

Alex, as usual, thank you for your stories and explanations.

Good news indeed, Im sure he will be glad to be home, at last!

I'm very glad that Philip was released and will be able to enjoy, in moderation, whatever remains of the Christmas holiday at Sandringham. I'm sure he'll get the royal treatment for sure!

This is not meant to be rude, Lady Gabrielle, but in the UK, 'hunting' is used when referring to riding to hounds [fox hunting etc.] What many Americans refer to as 'hunting' is referred to as 'shooting' in the UK. I hope you don't mind me pointing this out. To return to the main question, I do not know whether some form of shoot has gone ahead at Sandringham over the holiday period. News of this will doubtless emerge in due course.

Whilst on to the clarifications and corrections etc, could I reassure those forum members who were surprised when I posted earlier about the photo of the Queen striking a pheasant with her 'priest'. This was of course not one of her chaplains!! A 'priest' is a short wooden stick used on shoots!

Alex
Thank you for correcting me Alex. I appreciate you taking the time to remind me that we are talking about the U.K. We Americans do not speak proper English anyway you know. :lol:

Last edited:
I would expect that the Tindalls returned after Mike's game on Boxing Day - Gloucester won by the way.

Wonderful to know that the Prince "got on with it". I adore that attitude he has. It was also lovely to hear that the grandchildren waited around to see their grandfather. That is a wonderful tribute to Prince Philip and the Queen as to how they raised their children and how their grandchildren were raised. I do hope that he takes it easier in the next few weeks.

Glad that he is out and gets to enjoy the rest of his holiday!

I had a feeling that he wouldn't be doing a "toes up" and would be joining in with the family fun. As long as he knows to pace himself and take it easy.

ILuvBertie

He (Philip) also has descent from Queen Victoria as, like the Queen, he is a great-great grandchild of hers - and I believe the oldest still surviving descendent or is it the oldest still living great-great grandchild

I think QV's oldest living descendent is Count Carl Johan Bernadotte (born Prince of Sweden in 1916) and he's the last surviving great-grandchild of Queen Victoria.

I'm glad Prince Philip is home with his family.

I'm glad he got to go out with the shooting party. I hope he's taking his leisure and that we will have no need of another thread like this one any time soon!

I suspected Prince Phillip would join others on the shoot during Boxing Day, it's just his nature. From what I understand he typically "leads" that event. It will be interesting to see what schedule alterations (if any) will be made on his behalf this year.

Duke of Edinburgh under pressure to reduce workload - Telegraph

He is still going strong workwise despite being 90 in 2011 but now under pressure to slow down.

I wonder how much he will do that though, particularly this year.

He didn't actually make the Boxing Day shoot as he wasn't discharged from hospital until the 27th December.

The Royals go shooting every day for the next couple of weeks so he will probably get plenty of chances to join in the shooting.

I do hope that for the first couple of weeks he spends time watching until given the all clear to resume normal activities.

:previous:Yes, but will he? PP is a stubborn ole gentleman after all. God love him!

I think that Philip may have to take time out from actually shooting himself. I shoot [clays], and can report that it is quite 'physical' and the torso region of the body is under stress. You've got to adopt the correct physical stance and lean with your upper body and then hold the gun right into the shoulder, and it is quite 'shoulder-jolting' when you pull the trigger and the shotgun fires....etc etc etc. As Philip has just had an operation affecting the part of the body that it going to be the most under stress, I just do wonder whether he will be able to return to the sport immediately; from memory, he has quite a traditional [for which read 'heavy'] Purdey shotgun as well...........

Mind you, what do I know? Since when does logic come into it? The Duke is a tough old bird and that is just one reason why I think that so many of us here adore him.

Alex

Last edited:
Based on your description of those heavy shotguns, Alex, if Philip exercises anything I hope it's caution handling those firearms by giving himself a chance to fully recover from his procedure!

Alex

I like your translations, there are differences in language on the two sides of the pond! I'm glad to know the Queen is not flinging clergy at the pheasants.

:previous:

Ah, Lady Gabrielle and Ann Eliza, don't foget the quotation [usually attributed to George Bernard Shaw] that 'England and America are two countries separated by a common language!!'

When I post something or read something, I am often reminded of various anecdotes and so it is the case here. Several years ago, when the Queen and Prince Philip were about to undertake a visit to the United States, one of the tv companies sent out an 'advance team' of journalists to 'plot the royal route'. During the royal tour, the royal couple were to pass a night in a hotel, and so the programme makers visited the hotel in advance and interviewed various staff members etc. Various preparations were described about how care was being taken to prepare the 'royal room', with lots of special comforts being included. The English journalist was impressed with the trouble being taken, and commented that the suite looked 'very homely'. Whereupon the American staff all looked horrified!! Reason = that 'homely' means 'comfortable and home-like in a cosy way' in England, whereas it means (I gather) 'rather plain' in a basic and not-good way in American English!!

Subsequently, footage of the trip was made into a formal documentary, and although a similar scene of preparations in a hotel was included, they did not have that particular interviewer mentioning 'homely rooms' again!!

Hope this makes some of you laugh!

Alex

I am glad that everything turned out well for the duke of Edinburgh and that he's back home with his family .:)

Diarist said:
:previous:

Ah, Lady Gabrielle and Ann Eliza, don't foget the quotation [usually attributed to George Bernard Shaw] that 'England and America are two countries separated by a common language!!'

When I post something or read something, I am often reminded of various anecdotes and so it is the case here. Several years ago, when the Queen and Prince Philip were about to undertake a visit to the United States, one of the tv companies sent out an 'advance team' of journalists to 'plot the royal route'. During the royal tour, the royal couple were to pass a night in a hotel, and so the programme makers visited the hotel in advance and interviewed various staff members etc. Various preparations were described about how care was being taken to prepare the 'royal room', with lots of special comforts being included. The English journalist was impressed with the trouble being taken, and commented that the suite looked 'very homely'. Whereupon the American staff all looked horrified!! Reason = that 'homely' means 'comfortable and home-like in a cosy way' in England, whereas it means (I gather) 'rather plain' in a basic and not-good way in American English!!

Subsequently, footage of the trip was made into a formal documentary, and although a similar scene of preparations in a hotel was included, they did not have that particular interviewer mentioning 'homely rooms' again!!

Hope this makes some of you laugh!

Alex

That is funny, Diarist. For most of us Americans, homely means ugly. HahHa

:previous:That's so true. For Americans, we use the term "homey" in the context of creating a cozy and comfortable environment. It's actually slang as well for buddy or friend; depends, of course, on usage. No wonder the American staff looked horrified at the British use of "homely" to describe the royal accommodation, since they thought it was perceived as plain and unattractive.

Last edited:
I always thought that 'homey' was another word for 'comfortable' or 'cozy' (the slang for 'friend' I've heard used while student teaching with upper secondary school students). I never thought it was meant to imply that something was not pretty. Interesting to learn the different use of same words in different versions of the same language.

Diarist wrote "homeLy," not "homey" ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom