Prince Philip in Hospital after Suffering Chest Pains: December 24-27, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The procedure he underwent is referred to as an Angioplasty. A "balloon" stent is inserted through a vein in the thigh and goes up into the closed artery and "opens" it. Patients usually require 12-24 hour hospital stays. How do I know this? My sister is a doctor and my father has had this procedure twice.

Prince Philip will be fine enough to enjoy Christmas dinner with his family ... Although I would be surprised to see him at Church.

The procedure he underwent is referred to as an Angioplasty. A "balloon" stent is inserted through a vein in the thigh and goes up into the closed artery and "opens" it. Patients usually require 12-24 hour hospital stays. How do I know this? My sister is a doctor and my father has had this procedure twice.

Prince Philip will be fine enough to enjoy Christmas dinner with his family ... Although I would be surprised to see him at Church.

To be honest, I wouldn't in the least be surprised if Philip does his traditional walk to church on Christmas morning. Within hours of my husband's procedure, they wanted him up and walking about and encouraged him to do so as much as possible.

Prince Philip was treated for a blocked coronary artery and a successful "invasive procedure of coronary stenting" was performed.

This could have ended very differently had immediate action not been taken. Naturally the best care is accorded and on hand to the royal family but had Philip not recieved such treatment he may very well have suffered a deadly heart attack or even a stroke had the blockage moved.

Last edited:
This was posted on my twitter.

RoyalReporter Richard Palmer
Buckingham Palace won't say how long Prince Philip is likely to be in hospital but experts predict he's unlikely to be home for Christmas.

Hopefully he'll get to see his family for at least part of the day.

My uncle had the same procedure, it knocked him out for a while and he's a youngish man so in someone of the Duke's age, they're likely to take precautions. I get the feeling HRH would hate the fuss being made but despite that, I'll say more than a few prayers for him tonight.

Just got home and saw the news. Glad to hear they figured out what's wrong and happy the surgery went well. I wish him a speedy recovery!
RoyalReporter Richard Palmer

Younger patients undergoing the sort of operation that Philip's had would normally stay in hospital for 2-3 days, according to doctors.
SkyNewsRoyal Paul Harrison

#royal #diamondjubilee The big question is: Will the Duke of Edin now have to curtail his engagements as part of Diamond Jub celebrations?

#royal #duke There's unlikely to be another update until tomorrow or even before Prince Philip is discharged

Last edited:
I have had a number of friends and colleagues of similar ages who have had this procedure and they have been in hospital for at least 3 - 4 days before being allowed home (one was 92 and always extremely active and was kept in hospital for the 4 days).

If he's had a partial blockage up until now, it's possible he will feel much more energetic after this procedure (once he's over the effects of anesthesia).

I sure hope so.

I'm sure he will feel more chipper after this procedure and I'm very glad it turned out well. He just has to recuperate in the hospital for whatever time the doctors feel it necessary and the RF will have to come visit him. On the plus side, think of all the patients who'll get an unexpected treat if they see any member of the RF in the corridor!

I'm sure he will feel more chipper after this procedure and I'm very glad it turned out well. He just has to recuperate in the hospital for whatever time the doctors feel it necessary and the RF will have to come visit him. On the plus side, think of all the patients who'll get an unexpected treat if they see any member of the RF in the corridor!

That may be a Christmas treat for some patients indeed. I can imagine it'll make the stay in the hospital just a little bit brighter.

Glad that the procedure went well. Looking forward to seeing him up and about again soon.

May God Bless the Duke as his body heals. May we always know that he is indeed a man before he is Duke, Husband, and father and let's wish him a speedy recovery.

Would just like to add my prayers for a full recovery for the Duke and for peace for the Queen.

Indeed, but in my mind it raises the issues that if he was in a great deal of distress to be flown to Papworth. They must have weighed the potential risks of taking him a greater distance than to the significantly sized and equipped hospital minutes away. Staff from Papworth could have been transported to Queen Elizabeth rather than Philip to them. :ermm:

It's not moving staff - it's all the highly technical equipment, drugs etc that is hard to transport. A few minutes in a helicopter to reach a major centre of excellence, rather than a bumpy ride in an ambulance to the local hospital is the obvious best choice.

This could have ended very differently had immediate action not been taken. Naturally the best care is accorded and on hand to the royal family but had Philip not recieved such treatment he may very well have suffered a deadly heart attack or even a stroke had the blockage moved.

I'd like to say that in the UK I believe "the best care is accorded and on hand" to everyone. When my husband got to hospital during a heart attack they began his immediate treatment even as the took his personal details. They saved his life very efficiently and he's still fine 5 years later. Despite all that the press say about it, thank God for our health system in the UK, where the level of care and treatment does not depend on bank balance, or insurance.

#royal #Duke of Edinburgh - Some speculation the Queen popped in to see DoE during the night as well as Countess of Wessex - unconfirmed

#royal #Duke of Edinburgh - Wondering whether Prince Philip will receive visitors today - Prine Harry? Duke and Duchess of Cambr?

#royal #Duke of Edinburgh remains in hospital this morning - waiting for this morning's update on how his night was - will he depart today?
Hmm wonder what the doctors will say

Duke of Edinburgh taken to hospital with chest pains and treated for a blocked coronary artery

...Sources said it was unlikely that members of the Royal Family would be visiting him in the coming hours but confirmed that his wife and children were being kept updated on his condition back at the Queen’s private Norfolk estate, where they are gathered for Christmas.
Although it may be viewed by some as uncaring, this is normal procedure within the Royal Family – and the Duke would have it no other way.
When he was in hospital for four days with a chest infection in 2008 he refused to receive any visitors and spent his time catching up on his paperwork...

Read more: Duke of Edinburgh treated for a blocked coronary artery | Mail Online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvP1rUh93lo

Last edited:
My mother is 87 and had the same thing (chest pain, first checks at the local doctor, then immediate transport to a cardiac clinic for tests and then the removal of the blockage and and a stent as Op) just two weeks ago. She was in hospital for more than a week. What a scare that was for us! My heart goes out to HM because this is a very serious condition, but once you made through the Op and recovery goes well, then you have about another year at that age without any bothers.

The Duke had a good night apparently, and members of the royal family will visit him this morning it is unknown if they Queen will visit. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are travelling to Sandringham today, it is presumed they will detour to Papworth.

Sad news! My uncle and my neighbor had the same treatment a few years ago. My uncle is around 60 and recovered very well, my neighbor, around 70, is still having problems. Well, let's be frank - Prince Philip is 90 and still very very active at an age were many people are retired. Bad things can happen any day now, although he always appears remarkably fit. My great aunt is the same age and has always been very active and fit, but during the last months it went downhill rather quickly with her... :sad:

However, I wish a speedy & full recovery for the DoE and that he may enjoy many more healthy and happy years with his family! :flowers:

PS: all the best for your mother too, Kataryn!

Last edited:
The Queen has just arrived by helicopter to visit Prince Philip. Wouldn't appear to be any other family members with her.

I am glad the Queen has arrived to see him. No doubt others will follow, but perhaps go more privately.

The BBC is saying the Prince of Wales and Earl of Wessex have joined the Queen at Papworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom