Prince Philip Hospitalised Due to Bladder Infection: June 4-9, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tired to find that picture on the Daily Mail's website but could not Where is it? Thanks!

Love that cartoon and I'm so glad that he'll be home for his birthday.

Is there anyone here who is a medical professional and knows if it is common to have such a long hospitalization for a bladder infection? I'm feeling very concerned. Perhaps it is common when a person is in his nineties?

I'm not a medical professional, but I know from experience that such infections can recur if they aren't treated promptly. An acquaintance of mine had a father who was hospitalized and developed a recurring UTI. He was set to be discharged numerous times, and each time his infection came back. Then when he finally came home, he started showing symptoms of an infection within two weeks because he refused take his fluids.

Hopefully Philip won't be as ornery and lets his wife and kids fuss over his health when he gets home.

Last edited:
I'm not a medical professional, but I know from experience that such infections can recur if they aren't treated promptly. An acquaintance of mine had a father who was hospitalized and developed a recurring UTI. He was set to be discharged numerous times, and each time his infection came back. Then when he finally came home, he started showing symptoms of an infection within two weeks because he take his fluids.

Hopefully Philip won't be as ornery and lets his wife and kids fuss over his health when he gets home.

Thank you for the info. I'm glad they're taking precautions and I agree - I hope he follows orders once he's home.

Infections can become more problematic for the eldery. Their immune systems aren't as robust and administered treatment often requires generous time frames. As a precaution the elderly are often kept under observation so ensure their health is well restored.

Oh wow! I didn't know that. Thank you for the info.

Having had a sever urinary tract infection while in the process of flying home from a third world country. It starts as minor flu symptoms. Body aches, fever,etc. it comes on very quickly and becomes excruciating. When I got home, and straight to a dr from customs, I was given very strong antibiotics and was told no extreme changes in two days, I was going to be put in the hospital because the next strongest antibiotics were IV only. I was 23, not 91. This could all be exactly what we are being told. It gets into his blood stream, and there could be big problems, at any age.

I expect that the main reason he was hopitalised was that the antibiotics had to be administered intravenously. Sounds like he is progressing well and will be home soon. I wish him all the best.

I think this shows the absolute dedication of the Duke to his wife and his country. He must have felt rough on the day of the pageant though you'd never know it by his smile and his remarkable effort. Still boggles the mind why they'd think it was a good idea to put a (nearly) 91 year old man on a boat in the pouring rain and wind but there we are. I hope HRH gets better very very soon.

Those pictures of the Queen and Prince Andrew are very encouraging. From what I saw, the Queen had a little smile on her face which must mean that Prince Philip is feeling somewhat better, that is always nice to see.

I think this shows the absolute dedication of the Duke to his wife and his country. He must have felt rough on the day of the pageant though you'd never know it by his smile and his remarkable effort. Still boggles the mind why they'd think it was a good idea to put a (nearly) 91 year old man on a boat in the pouring rain and wind but there we are. I hope HRH gets better very very soon.

When you really think about it, you could really imagine another place that the DoE would have been so happy at? All during the pageant and watching Philip, I swear sometimes the look on his face was that of a young child watching a christmas tree light up. He really thoroughly enjoyed himself.

I hope he makes a speedy recovery too and once he is home with his family, he doesn't give them too much guff about taking it easy. Its hard to keep a good man down. :)

Oh absolutely. He did seem to love it, in fact I think he was more excited than the Queen was! I don't want to sound all 'health and safety' but I think both the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have to try and slow down! But we know from other sources that they've no intention of taking it easy whatever their age now. Which is great actually.

Oh absolutely. He did seem to love it, in fact I think he was more excited than the Queen was! I don't want to sound all 'health and safety' but I think both the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have to try and slow down! But we know from other sources that they've no intention of taking it easy whatever their age now. Which is great actually.

I do think that they will take it a bit easier as we see Charles and Camilla take over more and more engagements representing the Queen. What brought this thought on for me was the careful planning of the luncheon for the crowned heads. HM hosted her luncheon at Windsor Castle which is more of an "at home" atmosphere whereas the more formal dinner was hosted by Charles at BP - the more official business residence. I'm sure the Queen and the DoE will very much stay active but hopefully more so in endeavors that they enjoy so much

I don't think anyone 'lets' Philip do anything. I suspect that when he decides he wants to do something there's very little anyone can do.

So it's been interesting to finally watch the CTV interview with Andrew conducted last Friday. At one point, he's asked about Philip's health and assures the interviewer that Philip is in excellent health and fully recovered from his heart scare. Then Andrew goes on to say that everyone will see on Sunday just how good Philip is doing.

Either this bladder infection came out of nowhere, or Andrew really doesn't know what's going on with his father.

Thena said:
So it's been interesting to finally watch the CTV interview with Andrew conducted last Friday. At one point, he's asked about Philip's health and assures the interviewer that Philip is in excellent health and fully recovered from his heart scare. Then Andrew goes on to say that everyone will see on Sunday just how good Philip is doing.

Either this bladder infection came out of nowhere, or Andrew really doesn't know what's going on with his father.

Bladder infections can be hard to detect in the elderly, so I would go with that it (kinda) came out of nowhere. Generally speaking, the elderly patients who are admitted on the unit I work are up and about the ward, just hanging out and visiting, feeling fine and having no real outwards symptoms, but the labs will show a raging infection.

Believe me a bladder infection can come on very suddenly.

Another point - is when was that interview done?

:previous:Last Friday, because Andrew mentions that he and his daughters will be attending the Epsom Derby the very next day. So this would have been two days before the Thames river pageant.

Thank you.

Seeing as we saw virtually none of the documentaries, except for The Diamond Queen one, I have no idea about these things.

Buckingham Palace are saying that Philip is unlikely to be released from hospital in time for his 91st birthday. So I would assume that we're looking at Monday at the earliest.

Is Prince Andrew the Queen’s favorite Son ?
It has been often reported that the Duke of York is closest to Her Majesty.
How true those reports are, however, we don't know.

Last edited:
I think she loves all her children in the same way.

:sad:is he getting any better i felt sorry for the queen when he was not next to her when she was going 2 the services

Prince Philip to spend his 91st birthday in hospital... but is hoped to be back by the Queen's side for Jubilee garden party next week
He was determined to celebrate his 91st birthday on Sunday at home with his family. But it seems that the Duke of Edinburgh faces spending the day in hospital, as he continues to recover from a bladder infection. Buckingham Palace said he might not be discharged by Sunday despite the Duke of York's assurance this week that his father was on the mend. Philip had been planning to celebrate privately and was not due to attend his next scheduled engagement until Tuesday, when the Queen hosts a garden party at the Sandringham Estate to mark her Diamond Jubilee.

William and Harry visited today.

William and Harry visit Prince Philip in hospital as Palace confirm he won't be out in time to spend his 91st birthday at home

Princes William and Harry visited the Duke of Edinburgh in hospital this afternoon to lift his spirits after the Palace confirmed he won't be be out in time celebrate his 91st birthday on Sunday at home. It seems that the Duke of Edinburgh faces spending the weekend in hospital as he continues to recover from a bladder infection that has laid him low since Monday. Philip's grandsons paid him a "short private visit" just before 5pm after the news was released earlier today, Clarence House said.

Back
Top Bottom