Prince Philip Admitted to Hospital 'As A Precaution': February 17, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Given his age it is a cause for concern even if its just for precautionary measures.

Best wishes to His Royal Highness for a successful recovery.

At his age, taking precautionary measures is a sensible measure. It is good to know that it is not related to coronavirus. I wonder whether the absence of any other specifics in the statements to media indicates that his illness has not been diagnosed or if it is to protect his medical privacy.

Hoping for a full and speedy recovery for Prince Phillip.

Due to the age of the Duke of Edinburgh it is a sign of concern. I hope it's nothing serious and he can come home soon.

Get well soon Phil ...

He's had the covid vaccination hasn't he? At least one dose. So many people have caught covid in hospital.

He's had the covid vaccination hasn't he? At least one dose. So many people have caught covid in hospital.

That is the scary part. He's had for sure one dose, but going to the hospital at this time is scary.

He has had to do this before, and everything he was fine afterwards, but still scary news.

I always get nervous when Philip doesn’t feel well, but I also feel like he’s strong as an ox and will always pull through.....I’m sending him some virtual chicken noodle soup, otherwise known as Jewish penicillin !

He has had the jab and he is going into a private hospital which is unlikely to be treating Covid patients directly (though of course it doesn’t mean it will not be present in some people). That said so many doctors I know right now are actively trying to keep people from hospital at the moment so maybe there is more to it. The RF have access to doctors and medical staff so tend to only go into hospital when more treatment and equipment is needed.

Best wishes and a speedy recovery for the Duke of Edinburgh. He is a man who don't give up. I am sure he'll celebrate his 100 Birthday with the love of his life the Queen and his family.

Wish The Duke of Edinburgh a speedy recovery and get well soon! :flowers:

He was taken in by car rather than by ambulance, and he walked in by himself, so hopefully those are good signs, but it's still worrying. Fingers crossed that he's soon back at Windsor.

I hope Philip gets well soon. He's made of strong stuff so hopefully this'll be like the last times he was admitted.

Unless he is very ill (wich it doesn’t seems like) i bet he will loose patience soon and demand to be discharged on Friday and then walk straight as a pen out to the car ��

Last edited:
Hoping for a speedy recovery for Philip.

I keep picturing him giving nursing staff hell and refusing a wheelchair to leave. But I do have to remember he is getting up there and it won't always be that way. But him going by car and not ambulance, and walking in, are all good signs at least this time.

My guesstimation is that Philip had developed some kind of an infection that needs a strong dosage of antibiotics infused during a hospital stay and monitored to watch that infection. Bladder infection perhaps or a UTI? He's had these problems before. The fact he went under his own steam tells me that he was probably coerced into going to the hospital but did so grumpily. Philip cannot change being Philip no matter how old he gets.

I'm hoping for a speedy recovery and seeing him leaving the hospital under his own steam again. This is a man who despises being "coddled". :D

The Man is 99. Nothing is minor or gotten over easily no matter how strong he is.

I really wish him back with his beloved wife !

Well, it doesn't really sound optimistic. I hope the Duke of Edinburgh will be able to make it until he can celebrate his 100th birthday, but I am fearing he won't be able to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's being played down, but obviously they wouldn't be keeping him in hospital unless they were concerned.

It's actually a good sign that he's not allowed visitors - under Covid protocols, no-one is allowed visitors unless the hospital fears the worst, so that's quite positive.

What about the Queen? She can't visit him?

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the Queen? She can't visit him?

If you look at the website of the King Edwards VII's Hospital, you can see their guidance on visiting, which is in line with most hospitals in the UK at the moment. I'm sure the Royal Family would want to be seen to be adhering to this guidance where possible.

Coronavirus update: visitors

To protect our patients we need to limit visitors to our hospital. We recommend virtual visits where possible. Visitors will only be considered in exceptional circumstances, where one visitor will be permitted to visit. No children will be permitted to visit. The health, safety and well-being of our patients, family, carers and staff remain our absolute priority.

Permission for visiting must be discussed directly with Matron’s Office, and would be allowed under the following circumstances:

One regular carer will be allowed for patients with additional needs e.g. dementia, learning disabilities. They will be swabbed to allow them to continue with caring commitments.
For patients receiving end of life care.

They're probably just making sure they can keep an eye on him and assure that he gets the rest he needs right now. I can't see Philip being overly happy having a mess of visitors coming through his room even if it was allowed. This is a man that doesn't like to be fussed over. I bet there are a lot of his doctors and nurses though that are getting a good laugh at some of the quips Philip is probably making hence he's in "good spirits".

I don't see any reason to believe that he won't make a full recovery and be around to celebrate his 100th birthday but at that age, anything can happen and happen quickly and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom