The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-22-2021, 09:10 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I'm sure all of the messages of support and balloons outside the hospital have cheered the queen and Royal Family.

Yes, definitely and what a great reminder that Twitter is not real life. These trolls would probably complain had Philip been admitted to a public hospital for “taking up” state funded resources and services

Old 02-22-2021, 09:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Thanks for clarifying that Alison H. I was wondering how it was that the Prince of Wales was allowed to see the Duke when there are people who are not even allowed to say goodbye to their dying loved ones.

There cannot be one set of standards for the public and another for the royals.
So far there hasn't been a different set of standards. They've been careful to be seen obeying the restrictions just like everyone else. That was why some of the British posters were so concerned.

I assume there was an essential reason for PC to visit and not just because he missed his 99 year old dad and wanted to see him.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:00 AM
Administrator

The Duke of Cambridge's comment on the Duke of Edinburgh today, see and hear at the beginning of the video:

Old 02-22-2021, 10:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I assume there was an essential reason for PC to visit and not just because he missed his 99 year old dad and wanted to see him.
For all we know, Charles had a consult with his father on who to replace Harry for in the Captain General Royal Marines position that Harry recently was confirmed as losing. It was Philip that passed it on to Harry and it's logical he would be consulted regarding Harry's replacement.

There could be a gazillion other good reason and everything we think of is a pure guesstimation.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
For all we know, Charles had a consult with his father on who to replace Harry as the Captain General Royal Marines position that Harry recently was confirmed as losing. It was Philip that passed it on to Harry and it's logical he would be consulted regarding Harry's replacement.

There could be a gazillion other good reason and everything we think of is a pure guesstimation.
I hardly think that that's a reason for Charles to make a long journey and visit someone in hospital when the rules prohibit this except in exceptional circumstances.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I hardly think that that's a reason for Charles to make a long journey and visit someone in hospital when the rules prohibit this except in exceptional circumstances.
Oh, I think you're absolutely right but the thing is, anything we come up now is guesswork as we just don't know. We're really in the far outfield of the ballpark when it comes to knowing what's going on.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Oh, I think you're absolutely right but the thing is, anything we come up now is guesswork as we just don't know. We're really in the far outfield of the ballpark when it comes to knowing what's going on.
I think that in these times, when politicians have lost their jobs for not sticking with the rules the RF must be very careful. So IMO only a serious turn down in Philip's health would justify C's journey and visit.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Maybe the Queen asked him simply to do so , like "Just go and check in with your father and make sure he is alright".
Old 02-22-2021, 02:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Maybe the Queen asked him simply to do so , like "Just go and check in with your father and make sure he is alright".
In normal times, the RF dont visit Philip much, because I think he usually hates to be seen in hospital...so why on earth would the queen ask Charles to drive from Gloucester and make a hosptial visit, just to "check if Phil is OK"...when only very important journeys are supposed to be undertaken...
Old 02-22-2021, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Some posts that are speculative have been removed. In the absence of evidence, we are not going to start speculating or making assumptions about mental health or disability.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Thanks for clarifying that Alison H. I was wondering how it was that the Prince of Wales was allowed to see the Duke when there are people who are not even allowed to say goodbye to their dying loved ones.

There cannot be one set of standards for the public and another for the royals.
Indeed there can't. Maybe there was a real scare & so the PofW was allowed to visit. The duke may have rallied since.

But that's just speculation.

Edit

I was replying to a comment but it's been removed so please feel free to delete mods.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
We're in lockdown in the UK, though: that's what's concerning people. No-one is supposed to be leaving their local area unless it's for work or other essential reasons. Missing family members unfortunately doesn't count: we're all missing people, but we aren't allowed to visit them, even if they're in hospital, unless it's under exceptional circumstances. Some poor woman in Wales was stopped by the police and fined £200 for driving 9 miles to visit her elderly widowed mother ... the police did later rescind the fine, but driving from Highgrove to London certainly wouldn't be allowed unless there was a much better reason than missing someone.

However, Prince William's said today that his grandfather is doing OK, so that sounds more hopeful.

To be fair - visiting someone in hospital is one of the reasons you can leave your local area...if you can get the hospital to allow you to visit. So assuming Charles didn't just rock up unannounced - he didn't break the law.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
To be fair - visiting someone in hospital is one of the reasons you can leave your local area...if you can get the hospital to allow you to visit. So assuming Charles didn't just rock up unannounced - he didn't break the law.
tommy100-Thank you for sharing this information as navigating the various national/municipal quarantines around the globe can be confusing.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
tommy100-Thank you for sharing this information as navigating the various national/municipal quarantines around the globe can be confusing.
I doubt if Charles turned up unannounced... I assume that Philp was a bit worse and it was arranged that he could visit.. but that's the only justification.. that Philip was really ill....
Old 02-23-2021, 09:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I doubt if Charles turned up unannounced... I assume that Philp was a bit worse and it was arranged that he could visit.. but that's the only justification.. that Philip was really ill....
I tend to agree with you. Does anyone know who the "care giver" or designate of Prince Philip's Living Will could be? I am sure someone must have the last official word on his life prolonging treatment. It is extremely common for all here in America.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:35 AM
Royal Highness

Another possible explanation is that the medical staff wanted a family member present to discuss the diagnosis and treatment options. In that case, Philip's isn't worse right now but his health may decline soon. The definition of "soon" is subjective. It doesn't necessarily mean that death is imminent. An elderly member of family was given about six months to live but she ended up living about a year, and felt pretty good most of the time. We noticed she was getting weaker but she comfortable, happy, and, aside from some short-term memory lapses, very sharp. That is the most that anyone can hope for.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I tend to agree with you. Does anyone know who the "care giver" or designate of Prince Philip's Living Will could be? I am sure someone must have the last official word on his life prolonging treatment. It is extremely common for all here in America.
Could possibly be HM, but since she is also a certain age, it might be one of the children. Charles as oldest is the likeliest, but when I read that Anne is the child next to Philips heart, it might also be her.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Rebecca English twitter account (@RE_DailyMail):

Quote:
Update on the Duke of Edinburgh: Prince Philip remains in hospital where he is receiving medical attention for an ‘infection’. He is comfortable and responding to treatment but is not expected to leave hospital for several days, BP say.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is it normal in the UK for a patient to be under "observation" for 8 days?
Here in the US it is not normal for someone to have such extensive length of stay especially for just "observation"
Old 02-23-2021, 10:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossina View Post
Rebecca English twitter account (@RE_DailyMail):

Good news (relatively)

#Philip100