The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-21-2021, 03:05 PM
Majesty

I would say that he'd prefer to go home.. but with Covid there may be issues about his having nurses to care for him.. at home.. that has to be arranged

Old 02-21-2021, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I would absolutely hope his family could visit in privacy, the realty is though it is a central London hospital on a busy street with only so many entrances and exits.

Without wanting to be too cynical or cold, the Palace (distinct from the Family) is very good at managing the media and public and at paving the way - if things were worse I suspect they would be gently leaking to a few key journalists/media sources so there wasn't a huge shock.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Without wanting to be too cynical or cold, the Palace (distinct from the Family) is very good at managing the media and public and at paving the way - if things were worse I suspect they would be gently leaking to a few key journalists/media sources so there wasn't a huge shock.
From an outside perspective, as I've been reading the Washington Post (major national/international news outlet) over the past week, they had a story about the Sussex patronages, somewhere scrolling down. They've either had nothing about Philip or I've completely missed it, but either way, it doesn't seem to be breaking or highlighted news.

All I can think is that this is exactly why Philip loathes any sort of a fuss being made over him. The DoE would surely not-so-politely tell us to mind our own business.

When there's more to speculate on, there'll be more to speculate on, but right now there isn't.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Exactly. Reports said. They were hardly going to say he was wheeled in on a stretcher with an oxygen tank, are they
Well, if you want to worry, that’s fine, but I’m not going to ...and I’m glad the moderators put an end to the death watch, because that was morbid and creepy
Old 02-21-2021, 04:34 PM
Courtier

Instead of waiting if the DoE walks out of the Hospital, or is rolled out, I would like to know if he has seen his 9th Great grand child August Philip Hawke Brooksbank on his phone, I am sure he has that with him, so he can talk to his wife the Queen when ever he feels bored, I really hope by now he is. A very speedy recovery to him.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
Instead of waiting if the DoE walks out of the Hospital, or is rolled out, I would like to know if he has seen his 9th Great grand child August Philip Hawke Brooksbank on his phone, I am sure he has that with him, so he can talk to his wife the Queen when ever he feels bored, I really hope by now he is. A very speedy recovery to him.
I have no doubt he has seen August at least once.

Eugenie has always had a close relationship with her grandparents. There is no doubt she called to share the news and let both the queen and Philip see their new little great-grandson. And for her grandmother, not simply because it is tradition to show the queen. No doubt Philip has had at least once chat with his granddaughter and new little partial namesake.

I am sure both sides are wishing times were different and they could be together in person and not face time.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If I'm not mistaken, in a post earlier, it listed the rules for the hospital that Philip is in. For visitors, wasn't stated that that Matron would have to address the situation? Perhaps, with the restrictions in place, it was ruled that *one* family member could make *one* short visit and the family chose Charles. The visit could have been something as simple as bringing Philip the book he was reading from home or a clean pair of pajamas or his favorite slippers. Even in non-Covid times, the patient could restrict visitation. Maybe its the way Philip wants it. Philip could be perfectly happy and binge watching something he's been meaning to catch up on.

This hospital stay does have its blessing. It does show the public that the father/son relationship is *not* fraught with tension as most people know they didn't have the strongest of relationships during Charles' lifetime. There obviously is a lot of love and caring between the two men even if they're polar in personalities.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If I'm not mistaken, in a post earlier, it listed the rules for the hospital that Philip is in. For visitors, wasn't stated that that Matron would have to address the situation? Perhaps, with the restrictions in place, it was ruled that *one* family member could make *one* short visit and the family chose Charles. The visit could have been something as simple as bringing Philip the book he was reading from home or a clean pair of pajamas or his favorite slippers. Even in non-Covid times, the patient could restrict visitation. Maybe its the way Philip wants it. Philip could be perfectly happy and binge watching something he's been meaning to catch up on.

This hospital stay does have its blessing. It does show the public that the father/son relationship is *not* fraught with tension as most people know they didn't have the strongest of relationships during Charles' lifetime. There obviously is a lot of love and caring between the two men even if they're polar in personalities.

https://www.kingedwardvii.co.uk/pati...ting-a-patient
Old 02-21-2021, 05:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:

While I appreciate that we’re all aware of pandemic visiting rules, let’s not pretend the matron would’ve even dreamed of saying: No, Mrs. Glucksburg, you cannot come see your husband. Instead, we’d have pictures of the Matron doing her deepest curtesy as she personally welcomed said wife of patient to the hospital, along with as many family members that wished to visit.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
While I appreciate that we’re all aware of pandemic visiting rules, let’s not pretend the matron would’ve even dreamed of saying: No, Mrs. Glucksburg, you cannot come see your husband. Instead, we’d have pictures of the Matron doing her deepest curtesy as she personally welcomed said wife of patient to the hospital, along with as many family members that wished to visit.
That's why I also mention that perhaps it was *Philip's* doing. "OK, OK... let the boy in. I'll see the boy but hustle him outta here in a half hour".
Old 02-21-2021, 06:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

What do we 'know' about Philip's hospital stay?

1. He walked in

2. He was supposed to stay for three - four nights for rest and observation

3. He has been visited by his eldest son and heir

4. He has now been in the hospital for six nights.

That is all we know. Everything else is speculation.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Im not worried. The man is 99-years old. I’m just saying that the Palace is not going to come right out and say he’s actively dying, rather they’ll stage-manage the severity of the situation— like pictures of the PoW driving two hours each way to see his ailing father for 40 mins..
I don’t know what they’d do, to be honest... but as far as I’m concerned, I’m taking it at face value as I prefer not to speculate. He’s 99 - Charles misses his dad; that’s reason enough for him to have driven a long way to see him.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I think they’ve put their past behind them and just agree to disagree; when I see them in photos, they always look happy and comfortable with each other. I believe Ingrid Seward spoke to this in her recent book. That said, I agree with you; I got emotional myself when Charles said he hadn’t seen his father in a long time.

I’m smiling thinking of Philip binge watching, lol...
Old 02-22-2021, 06:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince William about his grandfather:

"Yes, he's ok, they're keeping an eye on him"

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/philip...spital-156157/
Old 02-22-2021, 07:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Prince William about his grandfather:

"Yes, he's ok, they're keeping an eye on him"

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/philip...spital-156157/
I just saw this....good news!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I don’t know what they’d do, to be honest... but as far as I’m concerned, I’m taking it at face value as I prefer not to speculate. He’s 99 - Charles misses his dad; that’s reason enough for him to have driven a long way to see him.
We're in lockdown in the UK, though: that's what's concerning people. No-one is supposed to be leaving their local area unless it's for work or other essential reasons. Missing family members unfortunately doesn't count: we're all missing people, but we aren't allowed to visit them, even if they're in hospital, unless it's under exceptional circumstances. Some poor woman in Wales was stopped by the police and fined £200 for driving 9 miles to visit her elderly widowed mother ... the police did later rescind the fine, but driving from Highgrove to London certainly wouldn't be allowed unless there was a much better reason than missing someone.

However, Prince William's said today that his grandfather is doing OK, so that sounds more hopeful.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for clarifying that Alison H. I was wondering how it was that the Prince of Wales was allowed to see the Duke when there are people who are not even allowed to say goodbye to their dying loved ones.

There cannot be one set of standards for the public and another for the royals.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I was wondering how it was that the Prince of Wales was allowed to see the Duke when there are people who are not even allowed to say goodbye to their dying loved ones.

There cannot be one set of standards for the public and another for the royals.
It was mentioned in earlier posts that the hospital sets its own standards for visitation. The King Edward VII hospital allows visitors "in exceptional circumstances". The page does not specify which circumstances are exceptional (except to state that visits will always be allowed for patients who are receiving end of life care).

https://www.kingedwardvii.co.uk/pati...ting-a-patient
Old 02-22-2021, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm sure all of the messages of support and balloons outside the hospital have cheered the queen and Royal Family.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
We're in lockdown in the UK, though: that's what's concerning people. No-one is supposed to be leaving their local area unless it's for work or other essential reasons. Missing family members unfortunately doesn't count: we're all missing people, but we aren't allowed to visit them, even if they're in hospital, unless it's under exceptional circumstances. Some poor woman in Wales was stopped by the police and fined £200 for driving 9 miles to visit her elderly widowed mother ... the police did later rescind the fine, but driving from Highgrove to London certainly wouldn't be allowed unless there was a much better reason than missing someone.

However, Prince William's said today that his grandfather is doing OK, so that sounds more hopeful.
We’re in lockdown, too...I understand. Who knows? But if Charles was just visiting, I still can’t bring myself to be upset. Maybe Philip had a bad night, but he’s now recovered...?