The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #141  
Old 02-21-2021, 03:05 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
I would say that he'd prefer to go home.. but with Covid there may be issues about his having nurses to care for him.. at home.. that has to be arranged
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 02-21-2021, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,533
I would absolutely hope his family could visit in privacy, the realty is though it is a central London hospital on a busy street with only so many entrances and exits.

Without wanting to be too cynical or cold, the Palace (distinct from the Family) is very good at managing the media and public and at paving the way - if things were worse I suspect they would be gently leaking to a few key journalists/media sources so there wasn't a huge shock.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 02-21-2021, 03:50 PM
Prinsara's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: A place to grow, Canada
Posts: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Without wanting to be too cynical or cold, the Palace (distinct from the Family) is very good at managing the media and public and at paving the way - if things were worse I suspect they would be gently leaking to a few key journalists/media sources so there wasn't a huge shock.
From an outside perspective, as I've been reading the Washington Post (major national/international news outlet) over the past week, they had a story about the Sussex patronages, somewhere scrolling down. They've either had nothing about Philip or I've completely missed it, but either way, it doesn't seem to be breaking or highlighted news.

All I can think is that this is exactly why Philip loathes any sort of a fuss being made over him. The DoE would surely not-so-politely tell us to mind our own business.

When there's more to speculate on, there'll be more to speculate on, but right now there isn't.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 02-21-2021, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Exactly. Reports said. They were hardly going to say he was wheeled in on a stretcher with an oxygen tank, are they
Well, if you want to worry, that’s fine, but I’m not going to ...and I’m glad the moderators put an end to the death watch, because that was morbid and creepy
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 02-21-2021, 04:34 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: tacoma, United States
Posts: 638
Instead of waiting if the DoE walks out of the Hospital, or is rolled out, I would like to know if he has seen his 9th Great grand child August Philip Hawke Brooksbank on his phone, I am sure he has that with him, so he can talk to his wife the Queen when ever he feels bored, I really hope by now he is. A very speedy recovery to him.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 02-21-2021, 04:45 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
Instead of waiting if the DoE walks out of the Hospital, or is rolled out, I would like to know if he has seen his 9th Great grand child August Philip Hawke Brooksbank on his phone, I am sure he has that with him, so he can talk to his wife the Queen when ever he feels bored, I really hope by now he is. A very speedy recovery to him.
I have no doubt he has seen August at least once.

Eugenie has always had a close relationship with her grandparents. There is no doubt she called to share the news and let both the queen and Philip see their new little great-grandson. And for her grandmother, not simply because it is tradition to show the queen. No doubt Philip has had at least once chat with his granddaughter and new little partial namesake.

I am sure both sides are wishing times were different and they could be together in person and not face time.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 02-21-2021, 05:36 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,776
If I'm not mistaken, in a post earlier, it listed the rules for the hospital that Philip is in. For visitors, wasn't stated that that Matron would have to address the situation? Perhaps, with the restrictions in place, it was ruled that *one* family member could make *one* short visit and the family chose Charles. The visit could have been something as simple as bringing Philip the book he was reading from home or a clean pair of pajamas or his favorite slippers. Even in non-Covid times, the patient could restrict visitation. Maybe its the way Philip wants it. Philip could be perfectly happy and binge watching something he's been meaning to catch up on.

This hospital stay does have its blessing. It does show the public that the father/son relationship is *not* fraught with tension as most people know they didn't have the strongest of relationships during Charles' lifetime. There obviously is a lot of love and caring between the two men even if they're polar in personalities.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 02-21-2021, 05:55 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If I'm not mistaken, in a post earlier, it listed the rules for the hospital that Philip is in. For visitors, wasn't stated that that Matron would have to address the situation? Perhaps, with the restrictions in place, it was ruled that *one* family member could make *one* short visit and the family chose Charles. The visit could have been something as simple as bringing Philip the book he was reading from home or a clean pair of pajamas or his favorite slippers. Even in non-Covid times, the patient could restrict visitation. Maybe its the way Philip wants it. Philip could be perfectly happy and binge watching something he's been meaning to catch up on.



This hospital stay does have its blessing. It does show the public that the father/son relationship is *not* fraught with tension as most people know they didn't have the strongest of relationships during Charles' lifetime. There obviously is a lot of love and caring between the two men even if they're polar in personalities.


https://www.kingedwardvii.co.uk/pati...ting-a-patient
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 02-21-2021, 05:56 PM
Eskimo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If I'm not mistaken, in a post earlier, it listed the rules for the hospital that Philip is in. For visitors, wasn't stated that that Matron would have to address the situation? Perhaps, with the restrictions in place, it was ruled that *one* family member could make *one* short visit and the family chose Charles. The visit could have been something as simple as bringing Philip the book he was reading from home or a clean pair of pajamas or his favorite slippers. Even in non-Covid times, the patient could restrict visitation. Maybe its the way Philip wants it. Philip could be perfectly happy and binge watching something he's been meaning to catch up on.

This hospital stay does have its blessing. It does show the public that the father/son relationship is *not* fraught with tension as most people know they didn't have the strongest of relationships during Charles' lifetime. There obviously is a lot of love and caring between the two men even if they're polar in personalities.
While I appreciate that we’re all aware of pandemic visiting rules, let’s not pretend the matron would’ve even dreamed of saying: No, Mrs. Glucksburg, you cannot come see your husband. Instead, we’d have pictures of the Matron doing her deepest curtesy as she personally welcomed said wife of patient to the hospital, along with as many family members that wished to visit.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 02-21-2021, 06:13 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
While I appreciate that we’re all aware of pandemic visiting rules, let’s not pretend the matron would’ve even dreamed of saying: No, Mrs. Glucksburg, you cannot come see your husband. Instead, we’d have pictures of the Matron doing her deepest curtesy as she personally welcomed said wife of patient to the hospital, along with as many family members that wished to visit.
That's why I also mention that perhaps it was *Philip's* doing. "OK, OK... let the boy in. I'll see the boy but hustle him outta here in a half hour".
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 02-21-2021, 06:14 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,218
What do we 'know' about Philip's hospital stay?

1. He walked in

2. He was supposed to stay for three - four nights for rest and observation

3. He has been visited by his eldest son and heir

4. He has now been in the hospital for six nights.

That is all we know. Everything else is speculation.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 02-22-2021, 12:30 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Im not worried. The man is 99-years old. I’m just saying that the Palace is not going to come right out and say he’s actively dying, rather they’ll stage-manage the severity of the situation— like pictures of the PoW driving two hours each way to see his ailing father for 40 mins..
I don’t know what they’d do, to be honest... but as far as I’m concerned, I’m taking it at face value as I prefer not to speculate. He’s 99 - Charles misses his dad; that’s reason enough for him to have driven a long way to see him.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 02-22-2021, 12:37 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If I'm not mistaken, in a post earlier, it listed the rules for the hospital that Philip is in. For visitors, wasn't stated that that Matron would have to address the situation? Perhaps, with the restrictions in place, it was ruled that *one* family member could make *one* short visit and the family chose Charles. The visit could have been something as simple as bringing Philip the book he was reading from home or a clean pair of pajamas or his favorite slippers. Even in non-Covid times, the patient could restrict visitation. Maybe its the way Philip wants it. Philip could be perfectly happy and binge watching something he's been meaning to catch up on.

This hospital stay does have its blessing. It does show the public that the father/son relationship is *not* fraught with tension as most people know they didn't have the strongest of relationships during Charles' lifetime. There obviously is a lot of love and caring between the two men even if they're polar in personalities.
I think they’ve put their past behind them and just agree to disagree; when I see them in photos, they always look happy and comfortable with each other. I believe Ingrid Seward spoke to this in her recent book. That said, I agree with you; I got emotional myself when Charles said he hadn’t seen his father in a long time.

I’m smiling thinking of Philip binge watching, lol...
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 02-22-2021, 06:51 AM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 20,492
Prince William about his grandfather:

"Yes, he's ok, they're keeping an eye on him"

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/philip...spital-156157/
__________________
#ΜΕΝΟΥΜΕ ΑΣΦΑΛΕΙΣ! #StaySafe! and the 2021!!
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 02-22-2021, 07:42 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Prince William about his grandfather:

"Yes, he's ok, they're keeping an eye on him"

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/philip...spital-156157/
I just saw this....good news!
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 02-22-2021, 07:54 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I don’t know what they’d do, to be honest... but as far as I’m concerned, I’m taking it at face value as I prefer not to speculate. He’s 99 - Charles misses his dad; that’s reason enough for him to have driven a long way to see him.
We're in lockdown in the UK, though: that's what's concerning people. No-one is supposed to be leaving their local area unless it's for work or other essential reasons. Missing family members unfortunately doesn't count: we're all missing people, but we aren't allowed to visit them, even if they're in hospital, unless it's under exceptional circumstances. Some poor woman in Wales was stopped by the police and fined £200 for driving 9 miles to visit her elderly widowed mother ... the police did later rescind the fine, but driving from Highgrove to London certainly wouldn't be allowed unless there was a much better reason than missing someone.

However, Prince William's said today that his grandfather is doing OK, so that sounds more hopeful.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 02-22-2021, 07:59 AM
Alisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 3,000
Thanks for clarifying that Alison H. I was wondering how it was that the Prince of Wales was allowed to see the Duke when there are people who are not even allowed to say goodbye to their dying loved ones.

There cannot be one set of standards for the public and another for the royals.
__________________
Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. ---Phaedrus
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 02-22-2021, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I was wondering how it was that the Prince of Wales was allowed to see the Duke when there are people who are not even allowed to say goodbye to their dying loved ones.

There cannot be one set of standards for the public and another for the royals.
It was mentioned in earlier posts that the hospital sets its own standards for visitation. The King Edward VII hospital allows visitors "in exceptional circumstances". The page does not specify which circumstances are exceptional (except to state that visits will always be allowed for patients who are receiving end of life care).

https://www.kingedwardvii.co.uk/pati...ting-a-patient
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 02-22-2021, 08:28 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 32,068
I'm sure all of the messages of support and balloons outside the hospital have cheered the queen and Royal Family.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 02-22-2021, 08:28 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
We're in lockdown in the UK, though: that's what's concerning people. No-one is supposed to be leaving their local area unless it's for work or other essential reasons. Missing family members unfortunately doesn't count: we're all missing people, but we aren't allowed to visit them, even if they're in hospital, unless it's under exceptional circumstances. Some poor woman in Wales was stopped by the police and fined £200 for driving 9 miles to visit her elderly widowed mother ... the police did later rescind the fine, but driving from Highgrove to London certainly wouldn't be allowed unless there was a much better reason than missing someone.

However, Prince William's said today that his grandfather is doing OK, so that sounds more hopeful.
We’re in lockdown, too...I understand. Who knows? But if Charles was just visiting, I still can’t bring myself to be upset. Maybe Philip had a bad night, but he’s now recovered...?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Victoria Admitted to Hospital: February 23, 2012 Sonjapearl Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family 153 02-23-2012 01:07 AM
Grand Duke Henri Admitted to Hospital, Receives Angioplasty: February 3, 2011 rominet09 Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa 36 02-12-2011 02:48 PM
Princess Máxima has been Admitted to Hospital! popje King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and family 208 04-10-2007 04:43 PM
The Baby is Coming - Maxima Admitted to Hospital royal_sophietje King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and family 337 12-07-2003 11:42 AM




Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor asia birth britain britannia british british royal family buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house colorblindness crown jewels customs doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family life fashion and style gemstones genetics gradenigo harry and meghan hello! henry viii history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs japan japanese imperial family japan history kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos lili mountbatten-windsor list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchist movements monarchists monarchy names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics prince harry queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry solomon j solomon spanish royal family st edward sussex suthida tradition unfinished portrait united states of america wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×