Prince Philip Admitted to Hospital 'As A Precaution': February 17, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56172496

At a quick guess, it's a bladder infection, because he's had those before.

That's quite a relief - it's not pleasant, but it's not likely to be life-threatening. He was in hospital for several days when he had an infection after the Golden Jubilee. And, if he's having treatment rather than just in "for observation", it makes more sense that he's staying in. With someone of his age, they'll be cautious.

Last edited:
Is it normal in the UK for a patient to be under "observation" for 8 days?
Here in the US it is not normal for someone to have such extensive length of stay especially for just "observation"

He is no longer under observation only, but rather receiving treatment for an infection according to the latest information.

Good'ol Phil has not finished with this World !
Good news.

I think this has been his longest spell in hospital but hopefully he'll be home before too much longer.

Prince Edward said with a bit of a chuckle that he was frustrated at being kept in hospital. Which is what you would expect from Prince Philip. I hope the hospital has a big scary Matron to keep him in line and make him behave himself.
I don't know if hospitals still have Matrons these days but decades ago everyone feared Matron.

Sadly not. It's often pointed out that patients might behave a lot better if hospitals still had matrons - think Hattie Jacques in the Carry On films!

Oh yes!! Dear Hattie was a wonderful actress. I remember how much Matrons were feared on the wards. Maybe they should bring them back.

They still exist. The UK is quite old fashioned with its labelling of positions in the NHS. So there are lots of Matrons. Or else they are known as clinical nurse managers.

The job is not the same these days. And if I am being honest I have found some of the characterisation of nurses and implying Phil is 'pincing' them demeaning to both them and him. I am certain that is not acceptable anywhere I dont care who you are.

Last edited:
With an infection in older people, the body doesn't kick in and fight it as well as it used to and hence, it takes longer. Sometimes an antibiotic "cocktail" is best delivered through an IV and if it's a bladder infection (as he's had previously), being in the hospital makes it easier to collect samples and analysis in the lab is a quick way to monitor progress.

Most of us would be chomping at the bit to go home by now too. Hospital food isn't known to be gourmet cuisine and Philip never was one to just be a couch potato. He may have decided to change something in his living will directives or anything legal like that and it usually is a family member that is the proxy should Philip be unable to express his preferences. Charles is the most likely person to be Philip's "power of attorney" in these kind of decisions for his father. Not a sign of anything but getting ducks in a row. ?

With an infection in older people, the body doesn't kick in and fight it as well as it used to and hence, it takes longer. Sometimes an antibiotic "cocktail" is best delivered through an IV and if it's a bladder infection (as he's had previously), being in the hospital makes it easier to collect samples and analysis in the lab is a quick way to monitor progress.

Most of us would be chomping at the bit to go home by now too. Hospital food isn't known to be gourmet cuisine and Philip never was one to just be a couch potato. He may have decided to change something in his living will directives or anything legal like that and it usually is a family member that is the proxy should Philip be unable to express his preferences. Charles is the most likely person to be Philip's "power of attorney" in these kind of decisions for his father. Not a sign of anything but getting ducks in a row. ?

Or the factor, as with young children, it can be hard to know where the infection is. Very unlikely to raise a fever and unless it is an obvious UTI for example it can be difficult to figure out what is going on.

To be fair, the menu at King Edward VII looks pretty gourmet to me, especially by hospital standards. It is a super exclusive private hospital that costs a lot.

https://www.kingedwardvii.co.uk/patient-information/your-food
https://www.kingedwardvii.co.uk/app/uploads/2020/01/Dinner_menu_Jan-19.pdf

Yeah I wouldn't be thinking this is the hospital stay the rest of us pleps. It's a five star heath hotel. Most of us would come out never looking or feeling better.

Last edited:
Part of me does sometimes wonder when you see how comfy and almost hotel like it is if Philip doesn't just sometimes book himself in to get away from all the family drama, especially while he can't travel back to Wood Farm:ROFLMAO:?

Oh! My mistake then about the "hospital food". :D

Part of me does sometimes wonder when you see how comfy and almost hotel like it is if Philip doesn't just sometimes book himself in to get away from all the family drama, especially while he can't travel back to Wood Farm:ROFLMAO:?

I will not be surprise if Philip secretly wants to go or even be at Wood Farm right now. He really likes the countryside away from the city and can do what he enjoys without strict protocol

Last edited:
I’m glad he seems to be doing better! I hope Philip is able to live the rest of his life, however long it may be, in a way that corresponds with his values and priorities. I imagine him being as matter of fact about coming to the end of his life as he seems to be about every other aspect of life.

To be fair, the menu at King Edward VII looks pretty gourmet to me, especially by hospital standards. It is a super exclusive private hospital that costs a lot.

From someone who spends as much time in the hospital as I do, that is not standard hospital food. :ohmy:

Yes he is not lacking for comfort, at least dietary there. Some hotel stays may have less fancy menus.

I am glad its just an infection. At his age even a minor infection can be a worry so its understandable he is staying for a longer stay. But the good humor that Prince Edward and William both mentioned Philip in gives more relief.

Prince Edward said with a bit of a chuckle that he was frustrated at being kept in hospital. Which is what you would expect from Prince Philip.

I’m glad to read that Philip sounds like Philip. That’s a good sign IMO. Hopefully he can go home soon.

I’m glad to read that Philip sounds like Philip. That’s a good sign IMO. Hopefully he can go home soon.

Yes it is a good sign. Just did a quick check on the links above and I learned that he's on a first name basis with the Royal Patron for Edward VII hospital-his wife as well as the President-his wife's cousin Edward. ;)

Edward of Kent isn't only the Queen's cousin but also Philip's. The Kents are the Queen's first cousins and Philip's first cousins once removed as their mother was his first cousin.

Yum! I wouldn’t want to get sick just to sample the gourmet menus, but as long as you’re going to be sick, might as well do it in style, lol. Seriously, I think that’s fantastic. Patients need to eat to keep up their strength - much better this for that purpose than the usual lousy meals

Im sure Philip is not at all happy with bieng in hospital.. and he wants to go home.

.. an infection is what most old people dye of - so it is very concerning in a person his age. That is why he is in hospital.

Edward of Kent isn't only the Queen's cousin but also Philip's. The Kents are the Queen's first cousins and Philip's first cousins once removed as their mother was his first cousin.

Thank you for the reminder about the BRF's family connections ILuvBertie.:flowers:

.. an infection is what most old people dye of - so it is very concerning in a person his age. That is why he is in hospital.
As an nurse, I'm very concerned for him. Everytime I see his name pop up on my news feed I get palpitations thinking the inevitable has happened.

As an nurse, I'm very concerned for him. Everytime I see his name pop up on my news feed I get palpitations thinking the inevitable has happened.

Yes me too, I worked with the elderly several years in a health care facility, my youngest daughter is a RN at a large hospital. Infections, seemingly routine ones, can change quickly into life threatening. So I am a bit nervous for him still being in hospital.

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom