Prince Philip Admitted to Hospital 'As A Precaution': February 17, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do we 'know' about Philip's hospital stay?

1. He walked in

2. He was supposed to stay for three - four nights for rest and observation

3. He has been visited by his eldest son and heir

4. He has now been in the hospital for six nights.

That is all we know. Everything else is speculation.

Im not worried. The man is 99-years old. I’m just saying that the Palace is not going to come right out and say he’s actively dying, rather they’ll stage-manage the severity of the situation— like pictures of the PoW driving two hours each way to see his ailing father for 40 mins..

I don’t know what they’d do, to be honest... but as far as I’m concerned, I’m taking it at face value as I prefer not to speculate. He’s 99 - Charles misses his dad; that’s reason enough for him to have driven a long way to see him.

If I'm not mistaken, in a post earlier, it listed the rules for the hospital that Philip is in. For visitors, wasn't stated that that Matron would have to address the situation? Perhaps, with the restrictions in place, it was ruled that *one* family member could make *one* short visit and the family chose Charles. The visit could have been something as simple as bringing Philip the book he was reading from home or a clean pair of pajamas or his favorite slippers. Even in non-Covid times, the patient could restrict visitation. Maybe its the way Philip wants it. Philip could be perfectly happy and binge watching something he's been meaning to catch up on.

This hospital stay does have its blessing. It does show the public that the father/son relationship is *not* fraught with tension as most people know they didn't have the strongest of relationships during Charles' lifetime. There obviously is a lot of love and caring between the two men even if they're polar in personalities. ?

I think they’ve put their past behind them and just agree to disagree; when I see them in photos, they always look happy and comfortable with each other. I believe Ingrid Seward spoke to this in her recent book. That said, I agree with you; I got emotional myself when Charles said he hadn’t seen his father in a long time.

I’m smiling thinking of Philip binge watching, lol...

I don’t know what they’d do, to be honest... but as far as I’m concerned, I’m taking it at face value as I prefer not to speculate. He’s 99 - Charles misses his dad; that’s reason enough for him to have driven a long way to see him.

We're in lockdown in the UK, though: that's what's concerning people. No-one is supposed to be leaving their local area unless it's for work or other essential reasons. Missing family members unfortunately doesn't count: we're all missing people, but we aren't allowed to visit them, even if they're in hospital, unless it's under exceptional circumstances. Some poor woman in Wales was stopped by the police and fined £200 for driving 9 miles to visit her elderly widowed mother ... the police did later rescind the fine, but driving from Highgrove to London certainly wouldn't be allowed unless there was a much better reason than missing someone.

However, Prince William's said today that his grandfather is doing OK, so that sounds more hopeful.

Thanks for clarifying that Alison H. I was wondering how it was that the Prince of Wales was allowed to see the Duke when there are people who are not even allowed to say goodbye to their dying loved ones.

There cannot be one set of standards for the public and another for the royals.

I was wondering how it was that the Prince of Wales was allowed to see the Duke when there are people who are not even allowed to say goodbye to their dying loved ones.

It was mentioned in earlier posts that the hospital sets its own standards for visitation. The King Edward VII hospital allows visitors "in exceptional circumstances". The page does not specify which circumstances are exceptional (except to state that visits will always be allowed for patients who are receiving end of life care).

https://www.kingedwardvii.co.uk/patient-information/visiting-a-patient

I'm sure all of the messages of support and balloons outside the hospital have cheered the queen and Royal Family.

We're in lockdown in the UK, though: that's what's concerning people. No-one is supposed to be leaving their local area unless it's for work or other essential reasons. Missing family members unfortunately doesn't count: we're all missing people, but we aren't allowed to visit them, even if they're in hospital, unless it's under exceptional circumstances. Some poor woman in Wales was stopped by the police and fined £200 for driving 9 miles to visit her elderly widowed mother ... the police did later rescind the fine, but driving from Highgrove to London certainly wouldn't be allowed unless there was a much better reason than missing someone.

However, Prince William's said today that his grandfather is doing OK, so that sounds more hopeful.

We’re in lockdown, too...I understand. Who knows? But if Charles was just visiting, I still can’t bring myself to be upset. Maybe Philip had a bad night, but he’s now recovered...?

I'm sure all of the messages of support and balloons outside the hospital have cheered the queen and Royal Family.

Yes, definitely and what a great reminder that Twitter is not real life. These trolls would probably complain had Philip been admitted to a public hospital for “taking up” state funded resources and services

Thanks for clarifying that Alison H. I was wondering how it was that the Prince of Wales was allowed to see the Duke when there are people who are not even allowed to say goodbye to their dying loved ones.

So far there hasn't been a different set of standards. They've been careful to be seen obeying the restrictions just like everyone else. That was why some of the British posters were so concerned.

I assume there was an essential reason for PC to visit and not just because he missed his 99 year old dad and wanted to see him.

The Duke of Cambridge's comment on the Duke of Edinburgh today, see and hear at the beginning of the video:

I assume there was an essential reason for PC to visit and not just because he missed his 99 year old dad and wanted to see him.

For all we know, Charles had a consult with his father on who to replace Harry for in the Captain General Royal Marines position that Harry recently was confirmed as losing. It was Philip that passed it on to Harry and it's logical he would be consulted regarding Harry's replacement.

There could be a gazillion other good reason and everything we think of is a pure guesstimation. ?

Last edited:
For all we know, Charles had a consult with his father on who to replace Harry as the Captain General Royal Marines position that Harry recently was confirmed as losing. It was Philip that passed it on to Harry and it's logical he would be consulted regarding Harry's replacement.

There could be a gazillion other good reason and everything we think of is a pure guesstimation. ?
I hardly think that that's a reason for Charles to make a long journey and visit someone in hospital when the rules prohibit this except in exceptional circumstances.

I hardly think that that's a reason for Charles to make a long journey and visit someone in hospital when the rules prohibit this except in exceptional circumstances.

Oh, I think you're absolutely right but the thing is, anything we come up now is guesswork as we just don't know. We're really in the far outfield of the ballpark when it comes to knowing what's going on. :D

Oh, I think you're absolutely right but the thing is, anything we come up now is guesswork as we just don't know. We're really in the far outfield of the ballpark when it comes to knowing what's going on. :D

I think that in these times, when politicians have lost their jobs for not sticking with the rules the RF must be very careful. So IMO only a serious turn down in Philip's health would justify C's journey and visit.

Maybe the Queen asked him simply to do so , like "Just go and check in with your father and make sure he is alright".

Maybe the Queen asked him simply to do so , like "Just go and check in with your father and make sure he is alright".

In normal times, the RF dont visit Philip much, because I think he usually hates to be seen in hospital...so why on earth would the queen ask Charles to drive from Gloucester and make a hosptial visit, just to "check if Phil is OK"...when only very important journeys are supposed to be undertaken...

Some posts that are speculative have been removed. In the absence of evidence, we are not going to start speculating or making assumptions about mental health or disability.

Indeed there can't. Maybe there was a real scare & so the PofW was allowed to visit. The duke may have rallied since.

But that's just speculation.

Edit

I was replying to a comment but it's been removed so please feel free to delete mods.

To be fair - visiting someone in hospital is one of the reasons you can leave your local area...if you can get the hospital to allow you to visit. So assuming Charles didn't just rock up unannounced - he didn't break the law.

To be fair - visiting someone in hospital is one of the reasons you can leave your local area...if you can get the hospital to allow you to visit. So assuming Charles didn't just rock up unannounced - he didn't break the law.
tommy100-Thank you for sharing this information as navigating the various national/municipal quarantines around the globe can be confusing.

tommy100-Thank you for sharing this information as navigating the various national/municipal quarantines around the globe can be confusing.

I doubt if Charles turned up unannounced... I assume that Philp was a bit worse and it was arranged that he could visit.. but that's the only justification.. that Philip was really ill....

I doubt if Charles turned up unannounced... I assume that Philp was a bit worse and it was arranged that he could visit.. but that's the only justification.. that Philip was really ill....
I tend to agree with you. Does anyone know who the "care giver" or designate of Prince Philip's Living Will could be? I am sure someone must have the last official word on his life prolonging treatment. It is extremely common for all here in America.

Another possible explanation is that the medical staff wanted a family member present to discuss the diagnosis and treatment options. In that case, Philip's isn't worse right now but his health may decline soon. The definition of "soon" is subjective. It doesn't necessarily mean that death is imminent. An elderly member of family was given about six months to live but she ended up living about a year, and felt pretty good most of the time. We noticed she was getting weaker but she comfortable, happy, and, aside from some short-term memory lapses, very sharp. That is the most that anyone can hope for.

I tend to agree with you. Does anyone know who the "care giver" or designate of Prince Philip's Living Will could be? I am sure someone must have the last official word on his life prolonging treatment. It is extremely common for all here in America.

Could possibly be HM, but since she is also a certain age, it might be one of the children. Charles as oldest is the likeliest, but when I read that Anne is the child next to Philips heart, it might also be her.

Rebecca English twitter account (@RE_DailyMail):

Update on the Duke of Edinburgh: Prince Philip remains in hospital where he is receiving medical attention for an ‘infection’. He is comfortable and responding to treatment but is not expected to leave hospital for several days, BP say.

Last edited:
Is it normal in the UK for a patient to be under "observation" for 8 days?
Here in the US it is not normal for someone to have such extensive length of stay especially for just "observation"

Back
Top Bottom