Prince Philip Admitted to Hospital 'As A Precaution': February 17, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so sorry for the Queen. I know she's hardly the only person in this position, and she's got all the "HMS Bubble" staff with her so she's not alone, but she's still an elderly lady whose husband of over 70 years is in hospital, and who, because of this horrible virus, can't have her family and friends with her for comfort and moral support. And all the upset over Meghan and Harry as well, and she can't even visit her new great-grandchild. These are horrible times for everyone.

It is. She's had a lot of trouble this past few years, and I think losing Philip would be very hard for her and doubly so with not being able to go to him.. Mabye there are difficutlies about him coming home....

Perhaps Charles informed his father about the most recent choices the Sussex' have made. That would have taken some time, not something to do by phone. And with his father in hospital and youngest son far away in the US, I can imagine him looking sad.

I am sure Charles would not take the unusual move of visiting his hospitalised father to talk about Harry. Harry and family have already been gone for some time and I doubt it is as pressing a situation to the royal family as the press imagines and reports. I think the visit is more a reflection of the Duke's failing health, sadly.

Sometimes, the combination of medications, age and unfamiliar surroundings, can cause a patient to become disoriented. Hopefully, that is the reason for The Prince of Wales visiting his father. Or maybe The Duke of Edinburgh was refusing a test or procedure and his son went to reason with him. I'm keeping the faith that he'll make it 100.

well, he is 99 years old; he can have the best of medical support at home - so if he is going to a hospital it has to be for something which cannot be monitored or treated as well at home - so it will be something more serious than a running nose.... AND on top of that Charles visiting ... would at any time look fishy - now with covid-restrictions in place, double so.

[...]

I think Anne might be the child closeses to his heart - maybe she also visited - under the radar?

Ughh - I very much hope that i see that much to bleak

Last edited by a moderator:
No but he's been unwell for several days before he went in. And at his age, any illness is very seirous...

In the past the Palace always announced what the duke was in hospital for, this time round there's a veil of silence.

Let's hope and pray we will soon be getting good news. Everything is serious at 99.

I’m sorry, but this talk about Philip dying is extremely morbid. I know he’ll go eventually, but maybe we can just wait and see?

My mother, who is a nurse of many years experience including geriatric care and has seen a few centarians said not at all. Even 99 year olds do not deteriorate that fast unless it is Covid.

Comments overtly alluding to Prince Philip's imminent death and funeral have been edited and removed - this has included inappropriate and insensitive commentary.

Let's stick to the facts as we currently know them and avoid speculating and gossiping.

Hopefully we will know more next week the palace said it had 'nothing to add to its previous statement on the duke’s admittance to hospital'.

My mother, who is a nurse of many years experience including geriatric care and has seen a few centarians said not at all. Even 99 year olds do not deteriorate that fast unless it is Covid.

Yeah but it’s not like Philip was out and about in the last few months or even years. We really don’t know what condition he was in. I think the last we saw him was in some photographs of Beatrix’s wedding

Yeah but it’s not like Philip was out and about in the last few months or even years. We really don’t know what condition he was in. I think the last we saw him was in some photographs of Beatrix’s wedding

He walked in.

Reports were that he’s in good spirits and he did walk on his own...that’s what I’m going by. Charles missed his father, that’s very likely why he visited. There’s no point borrowing trouble...

Charles already mentioned missing his father at the beginning of the pandemic last spring; I saw an interview with him where he said he had not seen his father in a long time "and he's going to be 99 soon," he added.

Maybe he has some complicated feelings about his relationship with his father over the years. Certainly it's been reported he felt he didn't see his parents enough in his younger years. He may be wanting to make sure he has no regrets about missing out on seeing his father in his last years.

Yes, we don't know what state Prince Philip was in. The only thing that worries me is the silence of the palace during these days. The DoE is 99 years old, and at that age these types of situations can change from one moment to the next.

Yes, we don't know what state Prince Philip was in. The only thing that worries me is the silence of the palace during these days. The DoE is 99 years old, and at that age these types of situations can change from one moment to the next.

I am not sure how this can worry you considering as you said these type of situations can change considering he is 99. There is no reason for them to put anything out as it can change.

I think if the situation is truly dire, Philip's other children would be seen heading to the hospital. I hope Philip gets to go back to his home environment soon.

I think if the situation is truly dire, Philip's other children would be seen heading to the hospital. I hope Philip gets to go back to his home environment soon.

See I hope that we wouldn’t see that and they are given complete privacy if that sadly is the situation.

I would say that he'd prefer to go home.. but with Covid there may be issues about his having nurses to care for him.. at home.. that has to be arranged

I would absolutely hope his family could visit in privacy, the realty is though it is a central London hospital on a busy street with only so many entrances and exits.

Without wanting to be too cynical or cold, the Palace (distinct from the Family) is very good at managing the media and public and at paving the way - if things were worse I suspect they would be gently leaking to a few key journalists/media sources so there wasn't a huge shock.

Without wanting to be too cynical or cold, the Palace (distinct from the Family) is very good at managing the media and public and at paving the way - if things were worse I suspect they would be gently leaking to a few key journalists/media sources so there wasn't a huge shock.

From an outside perspective, as I've been reading the Washington Post (major national/international news outlet) over the past week, they had a story about the Sussex patronages, somewhere scrolling down. They've either had nothing about Philip or I've completely missed it, but either way, it doesn't seem to be breaking or highlighted news.

All I can think is that this is exactly why Philip loathes any sort of a fuss being made over him. The DoE would surely not-so-politely tell us to mind our own business.

When there's more to speculate on, there'll be more to speculate on, but right now there isn't.

Exactly. Reports said. They were hardly going to say he was wheeled in on a stretcher with an oxygen tank, are they

Well, if you want to worry, that’s fine, but I’m not going to ...and I’m glad the moderators put an end to the death watch, because that was morbid and creepy

Instead of waiting if the DoE walks out of the Hospital, or is rolled out, I would like to know if he has seen his 9th Great grand child August Philip Hawke Brooksbank on his phone, I am sure he has that with him, so he can talk to his wife the Queen when ever he feels bored, I really hope by now he is. A very speedy recovery to him.

Instead of waiting if the DoE walks out of the Hospital, or is rolled out, I would like to know if he has seen his 9th Great grand child August Philip Hawke Brooksbank on his phone, I am sure he has that with him, so he can talk to his wife the Queen when ever he feels bored, I really hope by now he is. A very speedy recovery to him.

I have no doubt he has seen August at least once.

Eugenie has always had a close relationship with her grandparents. There is no doubt she called to share the news and let both the queen and Philip see their new little great-grandson. And for her grandmother, not simply because it is tradition to show the queen. No doubt Philip has had at least once chat with his granddaughter and new little partial namesake.

I am sure both sides are wishing times were different and they could be together in person and not face time.

If I'm not mistaken, in a post earlier, it listed the rules for the hospital that Philip is in. For visitors, wasn't stated that that Matron would have to address the situation? Perhaps, with the restrictions in place, it was ruled that *one* family member could make *one* short visit and the family chose Charles. The visit could have been something as simple as bringing Philip the book he was reading from home or a clean pair of pajamas or his favorite slippers. Even in non-Covid times, the patient could restrict visitation. Maybe its the way Philip wants it. Philip could be perfectly happy and binge watching something he's been meaning to catch up on.

This hospital stay does have its blessing. It does show the public that the father/son relationship is *not* fraught with tension as most people know they didn't have the strongest of relationships during Charles' lifetime. There obviously is a lot of love and caring between the two men even if they're polar in personalities. ?

If I'm not mistaken, in a post earlier, it listed the rules for the hospital that Philip is in. For visitors, wasn't stated that that Matron would have to address the situation? Perhaps, with the restrictions in place, it was ruled that *one* family member could make *one* short visit and the family chose Charles. The visit could have been something as simple as bringing Philip the book he was reading from home or a clean pair of pajamas or his favorite slippers. Even in non-Covid times, the patient could restrict visitation. Maybe its the way Philip wants it. Philip could be perfectly happy and binge watching something he's been meaning to catch up on.

This hospital stay does have its blessing. It does show the public that the father/son relationship is *not* fraught with tension as most people know they didn't have the strongest of relationships during Charles' lifetime. There obviously is a lot of love and caring between the two men even if they're polar in personalities. ?

https://www.kingedwardvii.co.uk/patient-information/visiting-a-patient

While I appreciate that we’re all aware of pandemic visiting rules, let’s not pretend the matron would’ve even dreamed of saying: No, Mrs. Glucksburg, you cannot come see your husband. Instead, we’d have pictures of the Matron doing her deepest curtesy as she personally welcomed said wife of patient to the hospital, along with as many family members that wished to visit.

While I appreciate that we’re all aware of pandemic visiting rules, let’s not pretend the matron would’ve even dreamed of saying: No, Mrs. Glucksburg, you cannot come see your husband. Instead, we’d have pictures of the Matron doing her deepest curtesy as she personally welcomed said wife of patient to the hospital, along with as many family members that wished to visit.

That's why I also mention that perhaps it was *Philip's* doing. "OK, OK... let the boy in. I'll see the boy but hustle him outta here in a half hour". :D

Back
Top Bottom