The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-20-2021, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Prince of Wales was there for 40 minutes I don't think he has visited his father in hospital in the past.

The Duke will remain in hospital into next week.

Old 02-20-2021, 03:01 PM
Royal Highness

Perhaps Charles informed his father about the most recent choices the Sussex' have made. That would have taken some time, not something to do by phone. And with his father in hospital and youngest son far away in the US, I can imagine him looking sad.

Old 02-20-2021, 03:15 PM
Courtier

I hope the DoE recovers quickly, or the rumor mill will work overtime. It is really sad that some people always connect a trip to the hospital, with he or she is on their dead bed. I think for his age of almost 100 he is in good health. I am sure when he leave hospital it will be the same way he got there on his 2 legs. I am also sure he wants to see his new great grand son. I think by now he is already tired of the nurses and he wants to leave. I don't blame him.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
I hope the DoE recovers quickly, or the rumor mill will work overtime. It is really sad that some people always connect a trip to the hospital, with he or she is on their dead bed. I think for his age of almost 100 he is in good health. I am sure when he leave hospital it will be the same way he got there on his 2 legs. I am also sure he wants to see his new great grand son. I think by now he is already tired of the nurses and he wants to leave. I don't blame him.
He may be tired of hte nurses but the fact that Charles has been to see him suggests that he's worse now than when he went in. He's a very old man, and its worrying that Charles has travelled to see him....
Old 02-20-2021, 03:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Charles has not returned to Highgrove after visiting The Duke of Edinburgh in hospital but will instead remain at Clarence House.

Info posted by The Royal Circular on FB
Old 02-20-2021, 03:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Prince Charles has not returned to Highgrove after visiting The Duke of Edinburgh in hospital but will instead remain at Clarence House.

Info posted by The Royal Circular on FB
That's another sign that things might be heading the wrong way I am afraid. He apparently wants to remain close.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:34 PM
Nobility

What, imo, is concerning, is the fact about both articles, charles visiting him and harry selfisolating just in case...
Old 02-20-2021, 03:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
That's another sign that things might be heading the wrong way I am afraid. He apparently wants to remain close.
Posted to Twitter too.

Not liking the feel of this situation. Hopefully it is just overly cautious and not an indication of serious illness.

LaRae
Old 02-20-2021, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe Philip had made too much jokes on the nurses and Charles has to come to talk to his father that Philip has to stop making jokes!

Joking aside I think there is one reason for Charles to visit his father. But I have no clue which reason this could be!
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Correction: Clarence House has confirmed that Prince Charles of Wales is not staying at Clarence House and returned to Highgrove.

This statement is being posted now, but just individuals..haven't seen an actual official statement.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

BBC and ITV both saying Clarence House has confirmed he has returned to Highgrove... a good sign maybe?
Old 02-20-2021, 04:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I am not going to try to "read between the lines" and come up with a whole lot of "what ifs" and "maybes" and "could bes" and just take what I've seen at face value. A son visiting his 99 year old father in the hospital who has already had Covid and has been vaccinated and probably as safe in Philip's room as his doctors and nurses are.

To be alone in a hospital bed knowing you're totally isolated away from family is a horrid feeling to have even if you're Philip and don't like being fussed over or having people see you when you're not at your best. I don't think Charles' visit indicates something other than what it is at face value and will hold that thought.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

It wouldn't be a big deal in normal times, but, due to Covid restrictions, hospitals are not allowing any visitors unless in exceptional circumstances, and no-one is supposed to be leaving their local area- Charles travelled 100 miles from Highgrove to London - unless in exceptional circumstances, and the Royals have been careful not to break rules and look as if they're being treated differently from everyone else. That's what's worrying people. I take the point about them both having been vaccinated, but there aren't currently any exceptions to the rules for people who've been vaccinated.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I am not going to try to "read between the lines" and come up with a whole lot of "what ifs" and "maybes" and "could bes" and just take what I've seen at face value. A son visiting his 99 year old father in the hospital who has already had Covid and has been vaccinated and probably as safe in Philip's room as his doctors and nurses are.

To be alone in a hospital bed knowing you're totally isolated away from family is a horrid feeling to have even if you're Philip and don't like being fussed over or having people see you when you're not at your best. I don't think Charles' visit indicates something other than what it is at face value and will hold that thought.
I'd agree with you pre-covid, but even though they have been vaccinated, Charles can still carry covid, which is why hospitals everywhere are strict with their procedures and protocols. For Charles to visit means he was needed for something, not just visiting his elderly father.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
If you look at the website of the King Edwards VII's Hospital, you can see their guidance on visiting, which is in line with most hospitals in the UK at the moment. I'm sure the Royal Family would want to be seen to be adhering to this guidance where possible.

Coronavirus update: visitors

To protect our patients we need to limit visitors to our hospital. We recommend virtual visits where possible. Visitors will only be considered in exceptional circumstances, where one visitor will be permitted to visit. No children will be permitted to visit. The health, safety and well-being of our patients, family, carers and staff remain our absolute priority.

Permission for visiting must be discussed directly with Matron’s Office, and would be allowed under the following circumstances:

One regular carer will be allowed for patients with additional needs e.g. dementia, learning disabilities. They will be swabbed to allow them to continue with caring commitments.
For patients receiving end of life care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Yes, but the point is that this has been/is the case for families up and down the land yet they still cannot see their loved ones under penalty of severe sanctions. The royals can't be exempt from this nor do I think they would expect to be, that is why I think the situation with Philip is very serious.
But would a patient in a serious enough condition that there is a credible threat to their life not be considered a "patient receiving end of life care"? Or would death have to be certain and imminent for a patient to be permitted visitors according to the guidance?

In any case, I hope that the 30+ minute duration of the visit indicates the Duke was well enough for a hopefully good and comforting conversation with his son.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:03 PM
Serene Highness

"Exceptional circumstances" would mean different things to different people - it's possible that Prince Philip was upset and they felt he needed some support, or that some tests had shown up a problem, or just that his age means he's classed as particularly vulnerable. But it seems unlikely that Charles would have visited, under these circumstances, if it really was just "rest and observation". But we don't know, so hopefully it'll be OK.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
It wouldn't be a big deal in normal times, but, due to Covid restrictions, hospitals are not allowing any visitors unless in exceptional circumstances, and no-one is supposed to be leaving their local area- Charles travelled 100 miles from Highgrove to London - unless in exceptional circumstances, and the Royals have been careful not to break rules and look as if they're being treated differently from everyone else. That's what's worrying people. I take the point about them both having been vaccinated, but there aren't currently any exceptions to the rules for people who've been vaccinated.
This.

I don't think they'd do that long journey not to mention being accused of having the rules bent for them unless it was critical Charles was there for whatever reason. There will be calls for a full investigation and punishment if it was or is seen as just a "normal" visit even to a 99 year old not in a critical condition and I don't think they'd want that *on top of* everything else.

Whilst I do wish Prince Philip a full recovery and to celebrate his 100th birthday, I am worried because of that.

Quote:
But would a patient in a serious enough condition that there is a credible threat to their life not be considered a "patient receiving end of life care"? Or would death have to be certain and imminent for a patient to be permitted visitors according to the guidance?
I suppose it depends on the doctors and what exactly the situation is. When it became clear my aunt wasn't going to recover her children were allowed up to say goodbye but until they reached that point it was just virtual visits. This was also a private hospital and she was extremely ill when she went in and there was always a high chance she wouldn't come out.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't like that, don't like that at all.
The man is a national treasure. Of course we are pretty aware that, at 99, it's somewhat a matter of time but c'mon, not now Phil !
Old 02-20-2021, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

To be fair travelling to see someone in hospital is permitted, and it is up to each hospital to decide on when visitors are allowed. There is not, as far as I am aware, a complete ban on visitors to hospitals it is up to each to decide on what is necessary and safe.
The King Edward VII is not any old hospital treating whoever walks through the door. It is used mainly for pre-arranged medical procedures and ongoing care. It is not treating Covid patients and all patients are tested upon arrival and kept 'isolated' until their test comes back negative.

My point is this is not your average NHS hospital, it will of course do what it needs to to ensure the safety of patients and staff and will follow national guidelines but where those guidelines give it the ability to make decisions for itself it can do so. Also bear in mind, without speaking to patients and families of those also being treated we don't know that the hospital are not letting other visitors where there is a low risk i.e. where the visitor has returned negative test, had a dose of the vaccine and even had Covid themselves so less likely to be a risk.

We can't assume just because Charles has visited it means bad news.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
To be fair travelling to see someone in hospital is permitted, and it is up to each hospital to decide on when visitors are allowed. There is not, as far as I am aware, a complete ban on visitors to hospitals it is up to each to decide on what is necessary and safe.
The King Edward VII is not any old hospital treating whoever walks through the door. It is used mainly for pre-arranged medical procedures and ongoing care. It is not treating Covid patients and all patients are tested upon arrival and kept 'isolated' until their test comes back negative.

My point is this is not your average NHS hospital, it will of course do what it needs to to ensure the safety of patients and staff and will follow national guidelines but where those guidelines give it the ability to make decisions for itself it can do so. Also bear in mind, without speaking to patients and families of those also being treated we don't know that the hospital are not letting other visitors where there is a low risk i.e. where the visitor has returned negative test, had a dose of the vaccine and even had Covid themselves so less likely to be a risk.

We can't assume just because Charles has visited it means bad news.

An earlier post had a link to the hospital website where it stated that visitors were only allowed in exceptional circumstances such as end of life care.