The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-20-2021, 12:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Twitter sucks...people ripping on Charles and the BRF. I’m glad he went to visit his 99 year old father !

I refuse to be pessimistic about this.....
Maybe people should stop and think about WHY he might be visiting his father and travelling for 2 hours or so even though it's not exactly allowed except to say goodbye or for other necessary/compassionate reasons.

It's not like Charles has made a habit of flouting lockdown rules and guidance. It's not all about point scoring, at least until we know what's going on.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Maybe people should stop and think about WHY he might be visiting his father and travelling for 2 hours or so even though it's not exactly allowed except to say goodbye or for other necessary/compassionate reasons.

It's not like Charles has made a habit of flouting lockdown rules and guidance. It's not all about point scoring, at least until we know what's going on.
It’s my fault for even bothering to check under the Prince Charles trend, lol. It’s mostly made up of people who are bitter and already hate the BRF, so I’m not surprised.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:52 PM
Royal Highness

If Anne, Edward or the Queen come to visit then I will be very worried. Or if they start cordoning off the hospital.
BP is currently been quiet so it is no news is good news.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope he is okay but I think most are preparing...
Old 02-20-2021, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I believe the duke's last hospital stay was at Christmas in 2019 he had been in and out over the past decade.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Twitter sucks...people ripping on Charles and the BRF. I’m glad he went to visit his 99 year old father !

I refuse to be pessimistic about this.....
There are some really horrible people around. The late Captain Sir Tom Moore's family have had a lot of nasty comments on Twitter, and some awful things were said when Boris Johnson was in intensive care last year. People like that are best ignored!

But Prince Charles would have known very well that there'd be comments if he a) travelled from Highgrove to London and b) visited the hospital, so he obviously felt that it was extremely important for him to go. Just hoping that there's better news soon.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is not the slightest doubt in my mind that something is very, very wrong here.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
There is not the slightest doubt in my mind that something is very, very wrong here.

Me too. I have a feeling others may have visited or will but the media might not report it now that everyone has realised.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:00 PM
Nobility

Don't you think that BP would make a statement to prepare the people? When there's no doubt beforehand?
Old 02-20-2021, 02:03 PM
Royal Highness

I don't know what current policies about end of life care are in the UK but I think that if the doctors believe that Philip will not recover, he either would not have been hospitalized or would be allowed to go home. I imagine that Philip would prefer to die at home than in a hospital/

That said, even if his condition improves, he will probably not bounce back to the same level as he was before he got sick. It's a fact of life that as we get older, we do not fully recover from health setbacks. Regardless, my thoughts and prayers are with the Queen and her family as this must be very stressful for all of them.

Philip has blessed with a long healthy life of meaningful service to others. He's loved by many and in his private life, he seems to have married a woman he loves very much and is lucky that she is still with him. I wish him and his family the best.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:13 PM
Royal Highness

I think it’s concerning they admitted him to hospital at all, given that he’d be able to get more services at home compared to the average patient, and also because of issues surrounding Covid. The bar for deciding to admit him would likely be set higher now than even a few years ago.

That said, deciding when someone is receiving end of life care isn’t an exact science. Something that would be quite manageable at 50 years old could be life ending at 100. The hospital staff may have decided to err somewhat on the side of caution in allowing Charles to visit, believing there’s a realistic chance that his father could be coming to the end of his life. Hopefully that will turn out not to be the case and Phillip will be able to go home soon.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I don't know what current policies about end of life care are in the UK but I think that if the doctors believe that Philip will not recover, he either would not have been hospitalized or would be allowed to go home. I imagine that Philip would prefer to die at home than in a hospital/

That said, even if his condition improves, he will probably not bounce back to the same level as he was before he got sick. It's a fact of life that as we get older, we do not fully recover from health setbacks. Regardless, my thoughts and prayers are with the Queen and her family as this must be very stressful for all of them.

Philip has blessed with a long healthy life of meaningful service to others. He's loved by many and in his private life, he seems to have married a woman he loves very much and is lucky that she is still with him. I wish him and his family the best.
I absolutely hope he is OK but I can't see the royal family flouting Covid rules about travelling a big distance from where they live AND visiting a family member in hospital unless something grave has happened. They know that thousands of people in the UK are suffering over this issue and they simply can't afford to ignore what everyone else has been instructed to do if they want to survive beyond the pandemic.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:16 PM
Serene Highness

It's not looking good for Prince Philip if Charles came all the way to visit

Though I could guess one of the reasons Charles traveled to see him is because, for all we know, he hasn't seen Philip for months in person due to the pandemic. He may have felt he wanted to make sure he saw his dad before it was too late.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Chris Ship has asked BP basically, whats up? Why did Charles travel 2 hours, visit then drive 2 hours back. Being said now Charles was visibly upset/crying as he left. There is one pic on Twitter and his eyes do appear to have tears in them. But that could be just general worry not a sign of anything awful going on.

LaRae
Old 02-20-2021, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I just keep thinking if he is still in hospital there must still be a hope treatment will make things better otherwise he would be sent home.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Chris Ship has asked BP basically, whats up? Why did Charles travel 2 hours, visit then drive 2 hours back. Being said now Charles was visibly upset/crying as he left. There is one pic on Twitter and his eyes do appear to have tears in them. But that could be just general worry not a sign of anything awful going on.

LaRae
Charles has had a really torrid time of late, we know he is quite a heartfelt sensitive soul and to have your 99 year old father in hospital in the middle of a pandemic as well as all the other drama with family members (no judgement just the truth) will likely have taken its toll on him, no wonder he looked a bit emotional.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
It's not looking good for Prince Philip if Charles came all the way to visit

Though I could guess one of the reasons Charles traveled to see him is because, for all we know, he hasn't seen Philip for months in person due to the pandemic. He may have felt he wanted to make sure he saw his dad before it was too late.
Yes, but the point is that this has been/is the case for families up and down the land yet they still cannot see their loved ones under penalty of severe sanctions. The royals can't be exempt from this nor do I think they would expect to be, that is why I think the situation with Philip is very serious.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:30 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Charles' visit to the hospital is very worrying, given that Philip in the past did not like visitors and Charles had to travel from Birkhall. I really hope Philip does recover from this.

I'm not surprised by Twitter's reaction, given that these are the same people with the #BeKind whilst attacking Boris Johnson when he was in intensive care or Captain Tom Moore when his family visited him at the hospital.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:34 PM
Royal Highness

It's possible that he's not literally knocking on the door yet but had some choices to make and needed (not just wanted) his son there for them, that would fall under emergencies. Or he took a sudden turn for the worse. It's possible arrangements are being made to take him home.

If Philip was fine all things considered and he was going to be home as well as he usually is in a few weeks then they almost certainly would have left it, as they have in the past and as they have been obeying lockdown rules in the last year.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:48 PM
Nobility

Despite my last post on the reasons for King Edward VII's Hospital allowing visitors, which include 'end of life care', I think we should remember that the Duke apparently 'walked unaided' into the hospital, so let's all hope that the posts on his imminent demise are premature!