Prince Philip Admitted to Hospital 'As A Precaution': February 17, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're probably just making sure they can keep an eye on him and assure that he gets the rest he needs right now. I can't see Philip being overly happy having a mess of visitors coming through his room even if it was allowed. This is a man that doesn't like to be fussed over. I bet there are a lot of his doctors and nurses though that are getting a good laugh at some of the quips Philip is probably making hence he's in "good spirits".

I don't see any reason to believe that he won't make a full recovery and be around to celebrate his 100th birthday but at that age, anything can happen and happen quickly and it's better to be safe than sorry.

That’s how I choose to see it...the man is as strong as a bull. Everyone has to go at sometime, but as much of a pessimist as I am, I’m not going to worry about it. For now, I’ll just smile at the idea of Philip being ornery because he wants to go home ..l

What about the Queen? She can't visit him?

She would only visit if he was at the 'end of life'. She knows that a visit by her involves a lot of disruption to the running of the hospital which is why she doesn't, or only rarely, visits people in hospital.

I actually suspect that if Philip was told he only had a few days left he would insist on returning to Windsor to die in his own bed rather than die in some hospital.

I also think that if the Duke of Edinburgh was at the end of his life he would be taken to Windsor to die at home surrounded by the Queen, the children and perhaps some of his grandchildren.
It happened, for example, with Prince Henrik of Denmark.

I also think that if the Duke of Edinburgh was at the end of his life he would be taken to Windsor to die at home surrounded by the Queen, the children and perhaps some of his grandchildren.

Very true. Staying in the hospital points towards being able to keep and eye on and monitor Philip's condition (whatever it may be) with easy access to labs, medication and even IV infusions of antibiotics if necessary. If there was nothing more they could do to improve Philip's health, he wouldn't be kept in the hospital.

Very true. Staying in the hospital points towards being able to keep and eye on and monitor Philip's condition (whatever it may be) with easy access to labs, medication and even IV infusions of antibiotics if necessary. If there was nothing more they could do to improve Philip's health, he wouldn't be kept in the hospital.

Very true! Hoping the best for sweet Prince Phillip. I want to see him making 100 in 4 months. ???

Indeed. If Philip was on death's door and the hospital could do no more, he would be going home. Even if he had to take an ambulance.

Philip is not going to be the kind who will settle for dying in the hospital. He will want to be home in his own bed. And its not like they can't afford private care to keep him comfortable if they got to that point.

It seems simply they have convinced him the precautions are needed and to let them keep an eye on him a few days before he goes home.

I didn't think on this. It makes sense.

Also with the Queenmother who was cared for at her her home at Windsor
Even Princess Margaret was cared for at home and she only died in hosptial because it was following a stroke.

I certainly don't think Prince Philip is at death's door, but a possible fresh infection necessitating him being kept in hospital for a week is also worrying. A 99 years old body doesn't recuperate as quickly or as well from such things. Wishing him all the best!

Apparently Charles has gone to visit Philip in hospital.

Am surprised visitors are allowed.

Hmmm trying to remember if on his previous hospitalizations if he had visitors. Not counting scheduled things like his hip surgery.

It feel its a bit concerning as the hospital's own website makes clear visitors are not allowed except for "end of life care" or "to break bad news".

That said it is a private hospital so can to some degree make its own rules up, Charles has had the vaccine and had Covid before and is likely being regularly tested so they may feel he is so low risk it is okay for a visit especially to someone as elderly as Philip (though whether the hospital would do the same for anyone else who knows).

Probably the queen's too elderly to be considered safe going into hospital...and Philip is very old so someone ought to go see him.. so as Charles is a good bit younger he's considered Ok....

My cousins were only allowed to see my aunt a few months ago to say goodbye, so it is concerning. Not sure PC would want to risk it if he father was going to be out fine in a few days.

That said it might be because both have had the vaccine and Charles has had covid but.....

It feel its a bit concerning as the hospital's own website makes clear visitors are not allowed except for "end of life care" or "to break bad news".

That said it is a private hospital so can to some degree make its own rules up, Charles has had the vaccine and had Covid before and is likely being regularly tested so they may feel he is so low risk it is okay for a visit especially to someone as elderly as Philip (though whether the hospital would do the same for anyone else who knows).

I would agree, and the RF is very wary of being seen to receive special treatment , although we know they do. At the moment visitors are not allowed in hospitals, so they would be leaving themselves open to criticism.
It is not unusual even under normal circumstances for royals not to receive visitors in hospital as they are aware that it causes disruption to the staff and patients.

If we start seeing other members of the family show up I will be concerned.

Most hospitals here are end of life visits only.

LaRae

Charles has left having stayed around 30minutes.

Private hospitals cannot make their own rules. My sister had a major operation on Wednesday in a private hospital and we are not allowed to visit her. I suspect then that something is very wrong here.

I hope that's nothing to worry about ... visitors aren't generally being allowed, and Prince Charles would only be allowed to travel from Highgrove to London to visit if it classed as valid compassionate grounds. Hoping to see Prince Philip home soon.

Twitter sucks...people ripping on Charles and the BRF. I’m glad he went to visit his 99 year old father !

I refuse to be pessimistic about this.....

Last edited:
During the current restrictions here limited visiting may be arranged by prior agreement but only in exceptional clinical circumstances so I'm a little concerned too for the duke's health.

This is the 1st visit for the Duke I believe by a member of the RF since he was admitted to hospital.

In previous instances when Philip was in hospital he didn't seem to receive visitors (if I am not mistaken); so, quite surprising and somewhat that Charles visited him this time (even more so now visitors aren't allowed due to the pandemic). I wonder whether Philip specifically asked Charles to visit.

Last edited:
The first thing I thought when I heard that Charles had been to see Philip was “oh dear that’s not good”.

I hope he makes a strong recovery but I guess at his age it gets harder to fight off illness and infection.

Back
Top Bottom