The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-18-2021, 12:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
My guesstimation is that Philip had developed some kind of an infection that needs a strong dosage of antibiotics infused during a hospital stay and monitored to watch that infection. Bladder infection perhaps or a UTI? He's had these problems before. The fact he went under his own steam tells me that he was probably coerced into going to the hospital but did so grumpily. Philip cannot change being Philip no matter how old he gets.

I'm hoping for a speedy recovery and seeing him leaving the hospital under his own steam again. This is a man who despises being "coddled".

Old 02-18-2021, 09:39 AM
Majesty

Duke of Edinburgh remains in London hospital.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56106601

Old 02-18-2021, 06:39 PM
Royal Highness

The Man is 99. Nothing is minor or gotten over easily no matter how strong he is.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

I really wish him back with his beloved wife !
Old 02-19-2021, 09:21 AM
Royal Highness

Well, it doesn't really sound optimistic. I hope the Duke of Edinburgh will be able to make it until he can celebrate his 100th birthday, but I am fearing he won't be able to do it.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:12 PM
Serene Highness

It's being played down, but obviously they wouldn't be keeping him in hospital unless they were concerned.

It's actually a good sign that he's not allowed visitors - under Covid protocols, no-one is allowed visitors unless the hospital fears the worst, so that's quite positive.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:16 PM
Aristocracy

What about the Queen? She can't visit him?
Old 02-19-2021, 01:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_Watcher View Post
If you look at the website of the King Edwards VII's Hospital, you can see their guidance on visiting, which is in line with most hospitals in the UK at the moment. I'm sure the Royal Family would want to be seen to be adhering to this guidance where possible.

Coronavirus update: visitors

To protect our patients we need to limit visitors to our hospital. We recommend virtual visits where possible. Visitors will only be considered in exceptional circumstances, where one visitor will be permitted to visit. No children will be permitted to visit. The health, safety and well-being of our patients, family, carers and staff remain our absolute priority.

Permission for visiting must be discussed directly with Matron’s Office, and would be allowed under the following circumstances:

One regular carer will be allowed for patients with additional needs e.g. dementia, learning disabilities. They will be swabbed to allow them to continue with caring commitments.
For patients receiving end of life care.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

It was on the news earlier and the report said the 99 year old Duke is in 'good Spirits' at the King Edward VII Hospital.

https://news.sky.com/story/prince-ph...-week-12223005
Old 02-19-2021, 02:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

They're probably just making sure they can keep an eye on him and assure that he gets the rest he needs right now. I can't see Philip being overly happy having a mess of visitors coming through his room even if it was allowed. This is a man that doesn't like to be fussed over. I bet there are a lot of his doctors and nurses though that are getting a good laugh at some of the quips Philip is probably making hence he's in "good spirits".

I don't see any reason to believe that he won't make a full recovery and be around to celebrate his 100th birthday but at that age, anything can happen and happen quickly and it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I dont think she viisted him in hospital a year ago.. Philip clearly doesn't like people being around when he's ill...
Old 02-19-2021, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
They're probably just making sure they can keep an eye on him and assure that he gets the rest he needs right now. I can't see Philip being overly happy having a mess of visitors coming through his room even if it was allowed. This is a man that doesn't like to be fussed over. I bet there are a lot of his doctors and nurses though that are getting a good laugh at some of the quips Philip is probably making hence he's in "good spirits".

I don't see any reason to believe that he won't make a full recovery and be around to celebrate his 100th birthday but at that age, anything can happen and happen quickly and it's better to be safe than sorry.
That’s how I choose to see it...the man is as strong as a bull. Everyone has to go at sometime, but as much of a pessimist as I am, I’m not going to worry about it. For now, I’ll just smile at the idea of Philip being ornery because he wants to go home ..l
Old 02-19-2021, 05:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
She would only visit if he was at the 'end of life'. She knows that a visit by her involves a lot of disruption to the running of the hospital which is why she doesn't, or only rarely, visits people in hospital.

I actually suspect that if Philip was told he only had a few days left he would insist on returning to Windsor to die in his own bed rather than die in some hospital.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:20 PM
Majesty

I also think that if the Duke of Edinburgh was at the end of his life he would be taken to Windsor to die at home surrounded by the Queen, the children and perhaps some of his grandchildren.
It happened, for example, with Prince Henrik of Denmark.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:16 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I also think that if the Duke of Edinburgh was at the end of his life he would be taken to Windsor to die at home surrounded by the Queen, the children and perhaps some of his grandchildren.
Very true. Staying in the hospital points towards being able to keep and eye on and monitor Philip's condition (whatever it may be) with easy access to labs, medication and even IV infusions of antibiotics if necessary. If there was nothing more they could do to improve Philip's health, he wouldn't be kept in the hospital.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Very true. Staying in the hospital points towards being able to keep and eye on and monitor Philip's condition (whatever it may be) with easy access to labs, medication and even IV infusions of antibiotics if necessary. If there was nothing more they could do to improve Philip's health, he wouldn't be kept in the hospital.
Very true! Hoping the best for sweet Prince Phillip. I want to see him making 100 in 4 months.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Indeed. If Philip was on death's door and the hospital could do no more, he would be going home. Even if he had to take an ambulance.

Philip is not going to be the kind who will settle for dying in the hospital. He will want to be home in his own bed. And its not like they can't afford private care to keep him comfortable if they got to that point.

It seems simply they have convinced him the precautions are needed and to let them keep an eye on him a few days before he goes home.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I didn't think on this. It makes sense.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Also with the Queenmother who was cared for at her her home at Windsor
Even Princess Margaret was cared for at home and she only died in hosptial because it was following a stroke.