The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-01-2021, 09:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

This morning, on Sunrise, here in Australia Rob Jobson was interviewed (happens when most royal stories air although sometimes they go with Victoria Arbiter and sometimes a royal expert I have never heard of before).

Rob Jobson was the one who told Aussies last week that he had heard that it was a kidney infection. I don't know where he got that info but suspect that was heard around the palace.

He looked awful. He looked like a dear friend was ill (and given how much time he spends with the royals they are 'friends and colleagues' just doing different jobs but often at the same events).

He didn't speculate, of course, but he simply looked sad.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:18 PM
Aristocracy

Well, I'm sending Prince Phillip and his family positive vibes. St. Bartholomew's Hospital is truly an impressive facility, and it's a good sign that he was stable enough to travel via ambulance. It's not like they would hail a cab for him, though he probably would have preferred it. (Being in a wheelchair doesn't tell us anything really, it is often hospital policy that a patient being transferred do so in a wheelchair.)

It really is staggering how much longevity the Queen, Prince Phillip (and the Queen Mum before them) have had. I look at my *much younger* elderly parents, and the difference in health and mental acuity is striking.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:24 PM
Courtier

At least he had the Covid shot. If he's going to be in hospital that's one less thing to worry about.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRose View Post
Well, I'm sending Prince Phillip and his family positive vibes. St. Bartholomew's Hospital is truly an impressive facility, and it's a good sign that he was stable enough to travel via ambulance. It's not like they would hail a cab for him, though he probably would have preferred it. (Being in a wheelchair doesn't tell us anything really, it is often hospital policy that a patient being transferred do so in a wheelchair.)

It really is staggering how much longevity the Queen, Prince Phillip (and the Queen Mum before them) have had. I look at my *much younger* elderly parents, and the difference in health and mental acuity is striking.
It's standard practice here that folks being released from the hospital or being transported elsewhere are required to leave the premises from a wheelchair to a vehicle.

It was even that way today getting my first dosage of the vaccine at a gymnasium set up by the public health department. I can't walk far so they had staff with wheelchairs when requested and I was wheeled from start to finish by a very nice gentleman. It's basically to ensure there isn't any accident liabilities on the premises.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It's standard practice here that folks being released from the hospital or being transported elsewhere are required to leave the premises from a wheelchair to a vehicle.

It was even that way today getting my first dosage of the vaccine at a gymnasium set up by the public health department. I can't walk far so they had staff with wheelchairs when requested and I was wheeled from start to finish by a very nice gentleman. It's basically to ensure there isn't any accident liabilities on the premises.

I'm getting my first Covid shot Thursday. They're giving it at an old JC Penny's store and I don't think they'll even offer me a place to sit much less a wheelchair.

Poor Phillip's 99 years old I think he's earned the right to be wheeled into and out of the hospital without the media making a stink about it. I don't think it's too serious for a man his age.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Vaccines outside of a hospital are usually a different matter. I mean we used to have flu shot clinics in malls every year. When I worked for a doctors clinic in the mall for a few years before finishing my RN, the pharmacist from the mall would come up and give us the shot right in the office. I know at least more then once he did it while I was on the phone with my other arm, booking patients.

Standard procedure with a hospital if you are a patient for care,when you leave or are transferred, yep a chair is brought. Philip at 99 I doubt they would give him any choice in the matter. Especially with his health.

Not welcome news, was hoping to come home to news he was heading home.

But its not a bad sign. If they are transferring him there is some hope or thought that he can be treated.And thankfully he has his covid shot as well.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:05 AM
Serene Highness

I agree - if they thought there was no hope, I would think they'd take him back to Windsor, where he'd be in familiar surroundings and the Queen could be with him. But it's worrying, and I just hope we hear better news soon.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Not necessarily. It all depends on the individual and their personal choice for end of life care.
There are some individuals who want to "go down fighting"- they want exhaust all methods to keep them alive and do everything to preserve their life.
On the other hand, you have those individuals who take a more conservative approach to end of life care. They would rather pass away peacefully at home surrounded by their loved ones when it becomes evident that it would be futile to pursue aggressive treatment.

No one knows the Duke’s choice. We can only speculate.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:27 AM
Royal Highness

In my personal opinion from what we know of Phillip being pragmatic and honest... he wont want extraordinary measures taken. The man lived a full active enough 99 years for 10 people and won’t want him or his family going the fuss and expense of giving him maybe another 1 or 2 years. He has long had to give up his outdoor hobbies as well.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:12 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
In my personal opinion from what we know of Phillip being pragmatic and honest... he wont want extraordinary measures taken. The man lived a full active enough 99 years for 10 people and won’t want him or his family going the fuss and expense of giving him maybe another 1 or 2 years. He has long had to give up his outdoor hobbies as well.
Yes, he is pragmatic and honest. And even though he can be pithy and gruff he does have love and affection for his family and the people of the UK and the Commonwealth. This is why I think his pragmatism may lead him to try to extend his life if he is able to be somewhat active and enjoy life, knowing that it would make the Queen and the rest of us happy to have him a little bit longer. But, if he can't have quality of life he won't want it to be extended, for sure.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
This morning, on Sunrise, here in Australia Rob Jobson was interviewed (happens when most royal stories air although sometimes they go with Victoria Arbiter and sometimes a royal expert I have never heard of before).

Rob Jobson was the one who told Aussies last week that he had heard that it was a kidney infection. I don't know where he got that info but suspect that was heard around the palace.

He looked awful. He looked like a dear friend was ill (and given how much time he spends with the royals they are 'friends and colleagues' just doing different jobs but often at the same events).

He didn't speculate, of course, but he simply looked sad.

I remember when Larry King was the go-to guy who would always report on the royals on Larry King Live. I think I watched all his shows on them. He always had the same people on.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps this isn't pertinent to the subject of the thread but my other half just handed me his smartphone where he's gotten a blip that Harry has been advised to fly home to say "goodbye" to his grandfather. Did a quick search for information and the only places reporting this is on entertainment sites and yahoo and no really reputable news sources that I've seen.

Anyone else get this information from anywhere reputable? I'm not alarmed as it could be that someone took the statement that Harry was self isolating "just in case" and exaggerated.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Perhaps this isn't pertinent to the subject of the thread but my other half just handed me his smartphone where he's gotten a blip that Harry has been advised to fly home to say "goodbye" to his grandfather. Did a quick search for information and the only places reporting this is on entertainment sites and yahoo and no really reputable news sources that I've seen.

Anyone else get this information from anywhere reputable? I'm not alarmed as it could be that someone took the statement that Harry was self isolating "just in case" and exaggerated.
No, the information is not showing up on any reputable websites, I found two articles, on yahoo and stylecaster.

Though I doubt that Harry is planning to come to UK anytime soon and definitely is not self-isolating, as he and Meghan were seen driving around Santa Barbara on Sunday, also with the re-recording the interview that happened lately.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I seriously doubt Harry would be told to rush home even if Philip was actively dying. The optics of a grandson rushing across the ocean, while most of the world is in lockdown and battling a pandemic, would be horrendous
Old 03-02-2021, 11:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
I seriously doubt Harry would be told to rush home even if Philip was actively dying. The optics of a grandson rushing across the ocean, while most of the world is in lockdown and battling a pandemic, would be horrendous
There is plenty of traveling happening, and even more with each passing day and more and more people getting the vaccine.

What's the status with the lockdown measures in the UK right now? Harry won't have any trouble leaving the US, but I'm not sure how long he would need to quarantine on arrival, and I'm honestly not sure how difficult it would be to return because several countries are restricting travelers from the UK due to their newish covid strain.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

The UK is in full lock down and anyone entering has to quarantine for 10 days. I have read that Harry would be allowed to do that at Frogmore, due to security concerns while most have to do it in hotels.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
There is plenty of traveling happening, and even more with each passing day and more and more people getting the vaccine.

What's the status with the lockdown measures in the UK right now? Harry won't have any trouble leaving the US, but I'm not sure how long he would need to quarantine on arrival, and I'm honestly not sure how difficult it would be to return because several countries are restricting travelers from the UK due to their newish covid strain.
Some people went on as life was normal since day one of covid, and had no concern for the disease. Just because some people are 'already traveling' doesn't make it right just yet.

Harry and Meghan are not in an age group or group like care workers who would have got the vaccine early.

Unless Philip is on death's door there really is no reason for Harry to fly there. Being in quarantine for ten days on one side when he gets there is just part.

He might have to quarantine at Notts. Eugenie and Jack may be at Frogmore.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:28 AM
Administrator

During a visit to the community Vaccination Centre at St Paul's Church, Croydon, today, March 3, the Duchess of Cornwall was asked about the Duke of Edinburgh's health and answered that he was "slightly improving" but that his treatment "hurts at moments":

** reuters/dailymail article: UK's Prince Philip is "slightly improving," Duchess Camilla says **
Old 03-03-2021, 08:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

That doesn't sound that encouraging to me.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Some people went on as life was normal since day one of covid, and had no concern for the disease. Just because some people are 'already traveling' doesn't make it right just yet.

Unless Philip is on death's door there really is no reason for Harry to fly there. Being in quarantine for ten days on one side when he gets there is just part.
I understand what you are saying, but Harry has not gone on as normal and, from what I know, no one in the royal family has either. You can argue that some of the official travel or going to see the lights at Christmas was unnecessary, but that is a matter of opinion. To my knowledge they have not seriously violated lock down rules. I've seen no indication that they would risk infecting anyone - much less the Queen and Prince Philip. Therefore, I think we can trust the royal family's judgment on how to best handle possible travel at this time.