The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-23-2021, 10:26 AM
Serene Highness

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56172496

At a quick guess, it's a bladder infection, because he's had those before.

That's quite a relief - it's not pleasant, but it's not likely to be life-threatening. He was in hospital for several days when he had an infection after the Golden Jubilee. And, if he's having treatment rather than just in "for observation", it makes more sense that he's staying in. With someone of his age, they'll be cautious.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Is it normal in the UK for a patient to be under "observation" for 8 days?
Here in the US it is not normal for someone to have such extensive length of stay especially for just "observation"

He is no longer under observation only, but rather receiving treatment for an infection according to the latest information.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

And Earl of Wessex about his father:

"“I spoke to him the other day. He’s a lot better. Looking forward to getting out.”

https://twitter.com/i/status/1364231197937840128
Old 02-23-2021, 10:51 AM
Aristocracy

Yay! Stay safe, Prince Phillip!
Old 02-23-2021, 11:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Good'ol Phil has not finished with this World !
Good news.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

I’m glad Philip is on the road to recovery!
Old 02-23-2021, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I think this has been his longest spell in hospital but hopefully he'll be home before too much longer.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Edward said with a bit of a chuckle that he was frustrated at being kept in hospital. Which is what you would expect from Prince Philip. I hope the hospital has a big scary Matron to keep him in line and make him behave himself.
I don't know if hospitals still have Matrons these days but decades ago everyone feared Matron.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:42 PM
Serene Highness

Sadly not. It's often pointed out that patients might behave a lot better if hospitals still had matrons - think Hattie Jacques in the Carry On films!
Old 02-23-2021, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh yes!! Dear Hattie was a wonderful actress. I remember how much Matrons were feared on the wards. Maybe they should bring them back.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:06 PM
Serene Highness

They still exist. The UK is quite old fashioned with its labelling of positions in the NHS. So there are lots of Matrons. Or else they are known as clinical nurse managers.

The job is not the same these days. And if I am being honest I have found some of the characterisation of nurses and implying Phil is 'pincing' them demeaning to both them and him. I am certain that is not acceptable anywhere I dont care who you are.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
With an infection in older people, the body doesn't kick in and fight it as well as it used to and hence, it takes longer. Sometimes an antibiotic "cocktail" is best delivered through an IV and if it's a bladder infection (as he's had previously), being in the hospital makes it easier to collect samples and analysis in the lab is a quick way to monitor progress.

Most of us would be chomping at the bit to go home by now too. Hospital food isn't known to be gourmet cuisine and Philip never was one to just be a couch potato. He may have decided to change something in his living will directives or anything legal like that and it usually is a family member that is the proxy should Philip be unable to express his preferences. Charles is the most likely person to be Philip's "power of attorney" in these kind of decisions for his father. Not a sign of anything but getting ducks in a row.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
With an infection in older people, the body doesn't kick in and fight it as well as it used to and hence, it takes longer. Sometimes an antibiotic "cocktail" is best delivered through an IV and if it's a bladder infection (as he's had previously), being in the hospital makes it easier to collect samples and analysis in the lab is a quick way to monitor progress.

Most of us would be chomping at the bit to go home by now too. Hospital food isn't known to be gourmet cuisine and Philip never was one to just be a couch potato. He may have decided to change something in his living will directives or anything legal like that and it usually is a family member that is the proxy should Philip be unable to express his preferences. Charles is the most likely person to be Philip's "power of attorney" in these kind of decisions for his father. Not a sign of anything but getting ducks in a row.
Or the factor, as with young children, it can be hard to know where the infection is. Very unlikely to raise a fever and unless it is an obvious UTI for example it can be difficult to figure out what is going on.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:44 PM
Heir Apparent

To be fair, the menu at King Edward VII looks pretty gourmet to me, especially by hospital standards. It is a super exclusive private hospital that costs a lot.

https://www.kingedwardvii.co.uk/pati...tion/your-food
https://www.kingedwardvii.co.uk/app/...enu_Jan-19.pdf
Old 02-23-2021, 06:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
To be fair, the menu at King Edward VII looks pretty gourmet to me, especially by hospital standards. It is a super exclusive private hospital that costs a lot.

Yeah I wouldn't be thinking this is the hospital stay the rest of us pleps. It's a five star heath hotel. Most of us would come out never looking or feeling better.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Part of me does sometimes wonder when you see how comfy and almost hotel like it is if Philip doesn't just sometimes book himself in to get away from all the family drama, especially while he can't travel back to Wood Farm
Old 02-23-2021, 07:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Oh! My mistake then about the "hospital food".
Old 02-23-2021, 07:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Part of me does sometimes wonder when you see how comfy and almost hotel like it is if Philip doesn't just sometimes book himself in to get away from all the family drama, especially while he can't travel back to Wood Farm
I will not be surprise if Philip secretly wants to go or even be at Wood Farm right now. He really likes the countryside away from the city and can do what he enjoys without strict protocol
Old 02-23-2021, 07:30 PM
Royal Highness

I’m glad he seems to be doing better! I hope Philip is able to live the rest of his life, however long it may be, in a way that corresponds with his values and priorities. I imagine him being as matter of fact about coming to the end of his life as he seems to be about every other aspect of life.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

From someone who spends as much time in the hospital as I do, that is not standard hospital food.

Yes he is not lacking for comfort, at least dietary there. Some hotel stays may have less fancy menus.

I am glad its just an infection. At his age even a minor infection can be a worry so its understandable he is staying for a longer stay. But the good humor that Prince Edward and William both mentioned Philip in gives more relief.