Prime Ministers, Political Advisers and the Powers & Prerogatives of the Monarch

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They mentioned on the BBC last night that Edward VII was in Biarritz in 1908 when Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman resigned as PM and the kissing hands ceremony for the new PM took place there.

There have been discussions on forums over the years as to what the handbag would contain,spectacles, mints, hankie, something like that!

The Queen looks very happy and smiling. Ms Truss must feel it’s a great honour. However the Queen does look a little bowed and she’s holding on to that cane like mad and not moving. I hope she hasn’t much pain in her legs.

Last edited:
There have been discussions on forums over the years as to what the handbag would contain,spectacles, mints, hankie, something like that!

The Queen looks very happy and smiling. Ms Truss must feel it’s a great honour. However the Queen does look a little bowed and she’s holding on to that cane like mad and not moving. I hope she hasn’t much pain in her legs.

Probably she has pain in her legs, its getting very damp here.....

Yes, probably, and there IS a roaring fire in the grate. Scotland is a lovely country but inclined to be dampish, not that it’s been really sunny here in Melbourne!

Yes, probably, and there IS a roaring fire in the grate. Scotland is a lovely country but inclined to be dampish, not that it’s been really sunny here in Melbourne!
Its pouring In London. Im suffering pain and Im a lot younger than the queen.

I suppose it is not the first time HM has a republican Prime Minister? Several labour ones may have been against the monarchy out of principle as well. Though I am not sure if any of them ever called the monarchy 'disgraceful' as Truss did.

I suppose it is not the first time HM has a republican Prime Minister? Several labour ones may have been against the monarchy out of principle as well. Though I am not sure if any of them ever called the monarchy 'disgraceful' as Truss did.

She said that particular statement no longer represents her opinion. She was a Lib Dem back then. She is a Tory now.

As she was a Remainer in 2016 and is now a Brexiteer..

As the official position of Labour has never been republican I think she has yet to have one. (Closest probably being Tony Blair's wife.)

Edit: Sorry, I'm forgetting Gordon Brown, he alone of ironically dating royalty. But I'm not sure he expressed antimonarchist views as prime minister, and will probably take his honour whenever the time comes now that the Blair backlog is over.

Truss has not expressed those sentiments for a long time and a political affiliation ago, as others have said.

Last edited:
Luckily nobody is about to start a nuclear war during that period. BTW, it has been reported that Liz Truss will be informed of the procedure to authorize the use of the UK nuclear weapons on the plane on her way back to London (sorry, I can no longer find the reference for that last piece of infomation).

The so called Letters of Last Report. First thing a new PM has to do apparently.

They are destroyed unread when a PM leaves office.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...y-task-to-write-to-uks-nuclear-sub-commanders

It seems to me very strange that Her Majesty is always holding her handbag even in her own living room.

I think it's just part of her 'outfit', a bit like a watch or a cardigan or a necklace.
When I see photographs of my own grandmother in the 1970's, who was born in 1920, she often had a handbag over her arm, especially when it was an 'occasion'!
And somewhere to keep the trusty tissue, rather than up the sleeve of her cardigan...

Back
Top Bottom