Prime Ministers, Political Advisers and the Powers & Prerogatives of the Monarch

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am rather curious as to whether HM will arrive for the second Opening of Parliament in a matter of a few months with all pomp and ceremony as per the norm. Or will HM simply arrive by car and not wear the robes etc.
Or maybe arrive by car and wear the robes and crown as normal after arrival.

Trivial thoughts I know, but thats how my mind works sometimes.

The official version is that Thursday's state opening will be scaled down solely because of the unforeseen circumstances of a December snap election, implying that the next state opening will return to the usual pomp and ceremony. Personally I doubt it due to the Queen's age.

I read on the British papers that the Conservative manifesto, among other things, vowed to repeal the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act 2011. Does that mean the Queen will now regain her royal prerogative to dissolve the UK Parliament ? Or will the government simply replace the FTPA with a different kind of legislation ?

That's a fascinating question. Wikipedia references an article from the Institute for Government which is an interesting read.

https://www.instituteforgovernment....dcbd0a5badf857e470d92b8b75168d98a0b8cac0e9c09

Queen Elizabeth II ‘Seems In Very Good Form,’ Boris Johnson Says

Bloomberg

“I spoke to her Majesty as I do every week as part of my job,” Johnson said to broadcasters in Rome on Saturday. “She’s been told by her doctors that she’s got to rest and I think we’ve got to respect that and understand that. Everybody wishes her all the very best.”

'The Queen didn’t expect special treatment’: Jess Phillips condemns Boris Johnson over ‘Xmas party’ scandal

Source

A Labour MP has said a stark image of the Queen sitting alone in a dignified silence at Prince Phillip's funeral highlights the contempt with which Boris Johnson's government has treated the British public.

"The central issue is how serious our leaders take their jobs," she said. "She took it deadly serious. The Queen specifically wanted to show that she didn't expect special treatment, and I am certain that the public would have allowed her the same latitude in the circumstances.

"Boris Johnson fundamentally does not get that. People in Yardley are pretty cross about it and writing to me to say as much."

'The Queen sat alone as she mourned!' Boris Johnson shamed in brutal PMQs grilling

Source

Keir Starmer compares Queen's 'leadership' as she attended funeral alone to Downing Street party

Source

Sir Keir Starmer highlighted Her Majesty's leadership during the pandemic as he questioned if Boris Johnson has the “moral authority” to lead and ask people to abide by any further Covid restrictions.

The Labour leader told the Commons: “Her Majesty the Queen sat alone when she marked the passing of the man she’d been married to for 73 years. Leadership, sacrifice – that’s what gives leaders the moral authority to lead.

Last edited:
Queen urged to put foot down on Boris after monarch forced to 'obey' rules

Daily Express

Former Tony Blair advisor Alastair Campbell took to social media to build on public resentment against a perceived gap between what is expected of the general public during the pandemic, and the rules apparently applying to those in power.

In a tweet, the outspoken spin doctor wrote: “I do hope that at their next audience HMQ reminds the charlatan that obeying the rules was expected of everyone.”

Queen urged to put foot down on Boris after monarch forced to 'obey' rules

Daily Express

It looks like the Labour Party is milking this (non-)story up to its limit. Well, that is what opposition parties do, especially after losing four consecutive elections.

It looks like the Labour Party is milking this (non-)story up to its limit. Well, that is what opposition parties do, especially after losing four consecutive elections.

There seem to have been issues all over the show with politicians breaking rules - hasn't Finland's Prime Minister just been caught going to a nightclub when she should have been self-isolating? - and it's not impressive, but trying to make political capital out of Prince Philip's funeral isn't very impressive either. Having to sit on her own at her husband's funeral was probably the worst thing that the Queen's ever had to endure, and I can't imagine she's very pleased at it being used for scoring points in a political argument. I really do find that insensitive.

It's not a "non-story"; it's a flagrant breach of serious lockdown rules last year by the government, if apparently true, and people are furious. Irrelevant smugness also has nothing to do with the Queen.

There seem to have been issues all over the show with politicians breaking rules - hasn't Finland's Prime Minister just been caught going to a nightclub when she should have been self-isolating? - and it's not impressive, but trying to make political capital out of Prince Philip's funeral isn't very impressive either. Having to sit on her own at her husband's funeral was probably the worst thing that the Queen's ever had to endure, and I can't imagine she's very pleased at it being used for scoring points in a political argument. I really do find that insensitive.

I agree that even though I got the comparison Keir Starmer was trying to make, bringing up a reference to Prince Philip's funeral in a very public speech in the House of Commons sounded a bit off.

He knows it's a guaranteed political card since I'd say about 100% of the people will sympathize with what the Queen was going through at the time and almost everyone (monarchist or not) does recognise her sense of duty.

Regardless of that, I can surely imagine the Queen bringing up the issue the Boris at their next audience, all mixed up with a bit of her humour. To be a fly on the wall. :whistling:

In depth posts about scandals in the Conservative party have been deleted.

A post about the 7th or 8th child of the British prime minister has been moved here.

Last edited:
Johnson's office apologises to Queen Elizabeth for party on eve of funeral

Reuters

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s office apologised to Queen Elizabeth on Friday after it emerged that staff had partied late into the night in Downing Street on the eve of Prince Philip’s funeral, at a time when mixing indoors was banned.

“It is deeply regrettable this took place at a time of national mourning and No. 10 (Downing Street) has apologised to the Palace,” Johnson’s spokesman told reporters.

I believe Queen Victoria had new PM’s come up to Balmoral in her widowhood, a really long and inconvenient journey for politicians in those days.

yes Victoria dragged her PMs uip to Balmoral when it suited her.... which most of them found a real nuisance. its hardly a firsts for the present queen to see one at Balmoral..

yes Victoria dragged her PMs uip to Balmoral when it suited her.... which most of them found a real nuisance. its hardly a firsts for the present queen to see one at Balmoral..

A first to appoint one for the present queen at Balmoral!

Traveling to Balmoral in the 19th century of course was far more cumbersome than it is today.

From a constitutional point of view, it is really irrelevant. Queen Elizabeth II held Privy Council meetings at Balmoral many times. However, breaking from her practice and appointing a new PM for the first time at Balmoral reinforces the perception that the Queen is becoming increasingly detached from her role. I emphasized "perception" because it is not necessarily the same as "reality".

Traveling to Balmoral in the 19th century of course was far more cumbersome than it is today.

From a constitutional point of view, it is really irrelevant. Queen Elizabeth II held Privy Council meetings at Balmoral many times.

I could not agree more.

However, breaking from her practice and appointing a new PM for the first time at Balmoral reinforces the perception that the Queen is becoming increasingly detached from her role. I emphasized "perception" because it is not necessarily the same as "reality".

The constitutional role requires the monarch to actually do very little, so there is no diminishing of the role of the Queen as monarch, or failure to discharge her duties.

My own view is that if the PM can travel to Balmoral to spend a weekend with the Queen, if members of the Privy Council can travel to Balmoral to request that the Queen prorogue Parliament, I see nothing wrong in the next PM being appointed at Balmoral. It is only 90 minutes by plane, the sort of time it might take the incoming PM to travel to Windsor. Had this happened during the pandemic, the appointment of the next PM could well have been via video conference.

it doesnt at all create a perception that the queen is detached, it just makes it clear that she is a very old lady now and not able to travel as easily as she used to do..

I could not agree more.

My own view is that if the PM can travel to Balmoral to spend a weekend with the Queen, if members of the Privy Council can travel to Balmoral to request that the Queen prorogue Parliament, I see nothing wrong in the next PM being appointed at Balmoral. It is only 90 minutes by plane, the sort of time it might take the incoming PM to travel to Windsor. Had this happened during the pandemic, the appointment of the next PM could well have been via video conference.

That's very true and the visits of the various PM'S to Balmoral has been well documented over the queens reign.

I'm glad also that the new PM will be there in person and not by Teams or Zoom!

Britain's Queen Elizabeth will appoint new prime minister at Balmoral

Reuters

Queen Elizabeth will break with tradition and appoint Britain's new prime minister at her Balmoral Castle residence in Scotland, rather than at Buckingham Palace in London, due to mobility issues.

The Telegraph understands Mr Johnson will deliver his final speech as Prime Minister on the steps of Downing Street at around 8.30am on Tuesday, before flying up to Balmoral.

After an audience with the Queen, which usually lasts around half an hour, he will leave Her Majesty’s Scottish home before either Ms Truss or Mr Sunak arrive, having flown up separately.

On the return flight, the new Prime Minister will be briefed on the privileged security details they require in the role.

He or she is expected to deliver their inaugural speech back at Downing Street at around 4pm.

The incoming and outgoing leaders will not see each other at Balmoral, where they will be welcomed individually into the Drawing Room. Mr Johnson and his team will have left the Scottish estate before his successor arrives.

Each will be greeted by an equerry and Sir Edward Young, the Queen’s Private Secretary, before entering the room to speak to the Queen alone.

Their travelling entourages will be offered a separate retiring room, where they will be offered a space to work and refreshments while official matters between the Queen and the Prime Minister take place.

A photograph of the Queen and new leader is likely to be released afterwards, just as it has been for the Buckingham Palace ceremony in recent history.

Mr Johnson said arrangements for the handover to the new prime minister will be down to the Queen and “fit totally around her and whatever she wants”.

The Queen will also hold a virtual Privy Council meeting the following day, rather than an in-person one, where the new PM will be sworn in as First Lord of the Treasury among other business.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...n-host-prime-minister-boris-johnson-balmoral/

What time is the Queen scheduled to meet Boris Johnson and Liz Truss tomorrow?

Boris Johnson will arrive at Balmoral around 11.00am tomorrow and following his formal resignation as PM,Miss Truss will meet the queen at noon.
It will be a short visit as both of them will have to head back to Downing Street as Miss Truss will deliver a speech at 4.30pm!

Boris will visit the Queen first, to tender his resignation. Then Liz Truss will go to be appointed PM.

it doesnt at all create a perception that the queen is detached, it just makes it clear that she is a very old lady now and not able to travel as easily as she used to do..

The politicians caused this mess why should the Queen have to chase after them is how I look at it.

that's not the point. THe politicians are elected and its generally expected that the queen should be fleixible and not expect them to come to Balmoral. Howevever given her age and health, it is acceptable.

Between the resignation of an outgoing prime minister and the appointment of a new one by the Queen, there is a period of time during which the UK is left with no PM. Normally that "interregnum" was just a matter of minutes when the handover was held at Buckingham Palace, but, this time, due to the more complicated logistics at Balmoral, the period where there is no PM may be slightly longer (about half an hour), according to the BBC .

Luckily nobody is about to start a nuclear war during that period. BTW, it has been reported that Liz Truss will be informed of the procedure to authorize the use of the UK nuclear weapons on the plane on her way back to London (sorry, I can no longer find the reference for that last piece of infomation).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom