Letters to and from The Queen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Royal Fan

Heir Presumptive
City
Monterey
Country
United States
If I Wanted it to reach her on time when should I Send it can it be given Directly to her What should I Say:)

Is there a phone number the general public can call to Buckingham Palace?! (Not that I ever would but I have wondered for decades about this....)

Is there a phone number the general public can call to Buckingham Palace?! (Not that I ever would but I have wondered for decades about this....)

Yes, there is a general public access number. It dials into the main switchboard of the palace. They can direct your call into the press office, the private secretary office, the lord chamberlain, the pay office for tours, gift shop, Royal Collection or whatever you are calling for.... They can transfer your call over to Clarence House or St James too.
If you ask for Her Majesty though, they will assume you are a prankster and
a) hang up on you
b) laugh good-naturedly and then politely end the conversation or hang up
c) condescendingly explain that members of the general public cannot be connected to the Queen. :lol:
I have a friend who many years ago when we were teenagers decided to call the palace and ask for the Queen just to see the reaction, and the lady she got on the phone was quite shocked. There was silence, then she said, "Er...no, that's not possible." :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
lol Priceless ! neat :p Wonder if theres anyway to get a personal reply to my Letter?

I've had to phone before and after three rings it says very politely and in a Scottish voice;

"If you have been asked to call this number urgently it is because of a hoax message and you should hang up immediately. If however you have a valid reason to call the Royal Household, please hold for an operator".

The message in question was a text message which read, "Phone Liz at.....immediately". Anyway, then you ask for who you want. In my case it was Princess Alexandra's office so they put me through and I spoke to a Lady in Waiting who helped me with what I needed helping with. But they won't put people straight through to the Royal concerned. If on the other hand, the Royal phones you, the phone rings and the Secretary says, "Princess Alexandra for you Sir" or similar and then there's a click and the Royal is connected.

lol Priceless ! neat :p Wonder if theres anyway to get a personal reply to my Letter?

When you send The Queen wishes, condolences and so on, usually you get a printed standard reply signed by a member of the staff (for example a Lady in Waiting), such as "The Queen wishes me to write and thank you for the message of good wishes you have sent on the occasion of her Golden Jubilee. etc."
However there could be a reference to something particular you wrote in your letter. For example, on occasion of the Queen's 80th birthday I included a short poem (written be me!) in my letter, and in the reply I was thanked for the "lovely poem". :)

Send your Letter to Her Majesty The Queen and HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, KG, KT,
Buckingham Palace,
London,
SW1A 1AA.

This should really go to a member of staff but for such a personal occasion it is permissable to write directly. Be formal and polite and use capital letters liberally: The Queen, The Prince Philip etc.

End with a formal sign off: I have the honour to remain, Sir and Madam, Your humble and obedient servant,

Hope this helps.

Royal Fan said:
Yes it helps quite alot actually now to find a pencil sharpener
Don't forget to throw in a very low bow. That, and being a humble and obedient servant, would be most appreciated, especially coming from a US citizen.

Last edited:
I wonder just how many letters she get in one day?

Don't forget to throw in a very low bow. That, and being a humble and obedient servant, would be most appreciated, especially coming from a US citizen.

Can I omit the low bow/curtsey if I'm writing, Warren? I'm sorry, I do have a very few republican tendencies. :)

Can I omit the low bow/curtsey if I'm writing, Warren? I'm sorry, I do have a very few republican tendencies. :)
My post wasn't meant to be serious but was pointing out the absurdity of an American citizen professing to be a "humble and obediant servant" to a foreign Head of State. Nonetheless, as you are a royal-watcher I would expect that you have your curtsey perfected by now. It would be a pity to waste it. :D

Yep, just take a photo of yourself in a deep curtsey and enclose it with your letter. :curtsey:

Last edited:
My post wasn't meant to be serious but was pointing out the absurdity of an American citizen professing to be a "humble and obediant servant" to a foreign Head of State. Nonetheless, as you are a royal-watcher I would expect that you have your curtsey perfected by now. It would be a pity to waste it. :D

Yes, Warren, I knew you were kidding!

Actually, I attended kindergarten and first grade at The Earl of Athlone School in Winnipeg, Canada... so I can do a very good curtsey, not that I'll ever have to do one (although the Norwegian royals do appear in Iowa and Minnesota frequently!).

How should one begin a letter of congratulations to both the Queen and Prince Philip? Would one write "Your Majesty and Your Royal Highness"?

How should one begin a letter of congratulations to both the Queen and Prince Philip? Would one write "Your Majesty and Your Royal Highness"?

Yes this is Fine, Madam and Sir can also be used, (no "Dear") but I think Your Majesty and Your Royal Highness is the best option.

Years ago I wrote a letter to the Queen and enclosed several royal columns that I was doing at the time for a newspaper in New York. I did start the letter with Madam, but I could not bring myself to end it by calling myself her obedient servant. I ended the letter by writing "with greatest respect". I got a lovely reply from one of the ladies in waiting.

I received a letter in reply from Queen Elizabeth II

I received a letter in reply from The Queen Elizabeth II

7th May,2008
Dear xxxxx:

The Queen wishes me to write and Thank you for your lattre.

Her Majesty thought it was kind of you to write and tell her
about the Support Group of British Royal Family that you have
established in China,and the Group you are planning to establish
in France. I am enclosing a doublesided portrait of The Queen which
you may like to have.

I am to thank you again for your thoughtful letter.

your sincerely
Hwuabel Whitehead

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly is this Support Group of British Royal Family that you've created in China? What does it do for example?

What exactly is this Support Group of British Royal Family that you've created in China? What does it do for example?

It is an organization joining the fans who are interested in The British Royal Family.

I have seen a movie called the Victoria and Albert in 2004.Then I got the information that there was a strong royal family in Europe - The British Royal Family. I thought there should be an organization to join us up. On August 21st 2007, I successfully established “The Support Group of British Royal Family”. Now, there are a lot of people joining in .We have our own website, we pay attention to the British royal Family every day. Sometimes we also will organize the activity. For example, when the 10th anniversary of Princess Diana’s death came last year, we have organized the memorial activity. Although my group can not help the Royal family materially, we can support the royal family in spirit. I believe that there will be more people supporting the British Royal Family.

Last edited:
May I have your group's web site address?

Last edited by a moderator:
How lovely for you to have a letter from her Majesty acknowledging what you are doing, Candle. Congratulations. :flowers:

Candle, very nice website. I can tell you put time and effort into it. Congratulations on your letter from the Queen! I know you were excited; thank you for sharing the moment with us.

Candle, very nice website. I can tell you put time and effort into it. Congratulations on your letter from the Queen! I know you were excited; thank you for sharing the moment with us.

Thank you.
I will write to the Queen during this Chiritmas and I will also write to the Prince Charles for his 60th birthday in this year.

Back
Top Bottom