The Queen: Would She Consider Abdication or Retirement?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sara1981

Heir Apparent
City
North Little Rock
Country
United States
i read from theinternetforums.co.uk/princewilliam they're plans to give HM Queen of retirement at 80 years old

but its would be sound good for her to let rest and pass to Prince Charles on official duty

if you says vote of HM Queen's retirement and answer says yes or no of HM Queen of her retirement or maybe of her retirement but shall let Prince Charles pass official duty from his mum the Queen what you think?

but im not sure about Prince Philip would retirement or not because he nearly 85 years old what you think?

if you makes polls of HM Queen would retirement?

I don't think so, She was queen very young and she know her responsabilitis, the monarchy is for all the life.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. Considering the circumstances in which Her Majesty became Queen, and the seriousness with which Her Majesty has assumed the duties of Monarch, not to mention the very strick sense of service Her Majesty has displayed, there is no chance (or in my opinion) desire for Her Majesty to 'retire' (by which you mean abdicate).

Public out cry would be enourmous not just in Britain, but on the other Realms and Territories.

Personally, I do not think she will retire and honestly, I truly hope she does not.

I read that she plans on cutting down her engagements (given her age thats understandable) and giving Prince Charles more duties, but as for abdication she would never do that

The only thing standing between Elizabeth II and the end of her glorious reign, is her passing from this life to the next.

And may it not be for many, many years to come!!

I can't imagine the world without the Queen...I have "known" her since I can pretty much remember and as a faithful subject have devoted my loyalty to the Crown for which she stands & governs...the day Her Most Gracious Majesty parts "us" is a day I really, sincerely dread.

"MII"

Last edited:
Oh, I don't think she will retire. She will be Queen for many more years. But she is getting older and it's difficult ofr her to continue fulfilling all her official duties, that's why Charles was made a de facto regent. But retire? I am pretty sure most Brits wouldn't like that, nor would she or Prince Charles.

She will never retire. She is a dedicated monarch, who takes very seriously her vow to God and to her people to serve them "my whole life, whether it be long or short".

LauraMCS said:
She will never retire. She is a dedicated monarch, who takes very seriously her vow to God and to her people to serve them "my whole life, whether it be long or short".
Well summed up LauraMCS. After that there really isn't much more to say.

No but she has been Queen for more than 50 years and needs her break. I know I am being selfish and everyone else by not wanting the Queen to retire because we love our Queen and shes been Queen for so long that we cant really imagine the world without her. But she deserves her break and the chance to be Gradma lilibet more instead of being Queen EII. I think she will go into a semi-retirment after she is 80. She deserves it. But I do not think she will abdicate.

I think she will semi retire but, not abdicate at the moment.
She should be allowed a few years of retirement and I think it would be awful for her to be seen bumbling about as the much loved QM did.
When the time does come, it will be nice to see a King Charles with a Queen consort Camilla at his side!:D

I also don't think she will retire, she will cut down her engagements, but she will not abdicate, she will reign until she dies (which i hope is still a lot of years away)

I think this is the article from the Mirror that started the rumours:

Charles to Rule as Regent while Queen Takes Back Seat

The SundayMirror is hardly a reliable source but even it says the Queen won't abdicate the throne but she will delegate all but the most important responsibilities to Charles. She still will open Parliament and be at the Trooping of the Color.

The Dean of Windsor said in an interview that the Queen will never abdicate. She believes that she has been consecrated as Queen and that she can never stop being Queen, the same as a Bishop is always a Bishop. He said that HM would see abdication as a dereliction of duty. Remember, when she was told that Queen Juliana of the Netherlands had abdicated she said, "Typical Dutch".

"... my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service..."

She made this dedication at a very young age, but I think she knew what she was saying.

No, she won't retire (i.e. abdicate). She will cut her engagements (she won't be able to perform all her present duties when she is 90 or 100), but even when (and if) she can't undertake any of them, I believe that she will remain Queen, and Charles will become Regent.

BeatrixFan said:
The Dean of Windsor said in an interview that the Queen will never abdicate. She believes that she has been consecrated as Queen and that she can never stop being Queen, the same as a Bishop is always a Bishop. He said that HM would see abdication as a dereliction of duty. Remember, when she was told that Queen Juliana of the Netherlands had abdicated she said, "Typical Dutch".

That's a great quotation by her majesty and so true! I can't think of having a Queen of 80 years old over here! It just isn't possible, people would think she was mad or something. :) That's one of the things I love about Queen Elizabeth, she has a great sense of duty! If she is going to be as old as her mother, the British will have her as a Queen for another 20 years. That would be really exceptional! :)

I doubt there'd even be a formal Regency unless she becomes obviously incapacitated. It's simple common sense that Charles should take on more of her responsibilities as she gets older - heck, he's not far off the official retirement age himself! - but it's just going to be an informal arrangement.

That's a typically misleading headline from the Mirror - saying that Charles will rule as regent, and then buried halfway down the page is a little comment mentioning that it'd be an informal thing and that he wouldn't rule as regent at all. Some of these newspapers really are too much.

The Queen has no intention of retiring nor will she ever abdicate. She will continue to carry out her duties until her health declines to the point where she has to really slow down.

But that doesn't mean Charles and other members of the royal family won't increase their duties on behalf of the Sovereign as HM ages. They will.

QEII will not retire. Period.

I can't imagine any scenario in which QEII would ever abdicate. I don't think her sense of duty would ever fail in that sense. I'm sure Prince Charles has to recognize this, even though it may not necessarily be what he would prefer. I guess there are always extenuating circumstances such as a debilitating illness, but barring anything catastrophic, it will be Elizabeth Regina until she passes on IMHO.

Absolutely not! She once said she will be Queen 'until the bitter end', so Charlie you just have to wait. :p

The only way she could be retired is if she was incapacitated mentally, and if we remember the long and productive life of her vivacious mother, the Queen Mum, we have to tell Charlie and Camilla that his mom won't croak until she has reached at least a 100 years old. :)

I wouldnt count on her mothers longevity to guess how long the Queen will live. The Queen has lived a far more stressfull life than the Queen Mum. We do really take for granted the longevity in the family. It might not last and the Queen, god forbid, could croke tomorrow.

Princejohnny25 said:
I wouldnt count on her mothers longevity to guess how long the Queen will live. The Queen has lived a far more stressfull life than the Queen Mum. We do really take for granted the longevity in the family. It might not last and the Queen, god forbid, could croke tomorrow.

Barring a sudden accident, The Queen's health and stamina is excellent and it is highly likely, having reached a very healthy 80 years old, that she still has many years of service to give as the Sovereign.

I'm sure her traveling for state visits will dramatically decline, but she certainly will continue her duties as Head of State and her good works in the UK. She is not going to sit around and let Charles or her other children assume too many of her duties for as long as she is able to carry them out.

Georgiea

LauraMCS said:

I totally agree with your statement.:)

Hear Hear!!! long may the Queen Reign!!!! and when she passes I Shall take pride in saying for the first time "God Save King Charles III"

branchg said:
Barring a sudden accident, The Queen's health and stamina is excellent and it is highly likely, having reached a very healthy 80 years old, that she still has many years of service to give as the Sovereign.

I'm sure her traveling for state visits will dramatically decline, but she certainly will continue her duties as Head of State and her good works in the UK. She is not going to sit around and let Charles or her other children assume too many of her duties for as long as she is able to carry them out.

I totally agree with you! :) Hopefully the Queen will serve as sovereign as for long time... Long life to the Queen :) God save the Queen!

why should she retire? her position is for life. her reign should be celebrated...

I can’t image that Queen Elizabeth will ever retire anytime soon. I don’t want her to retire from being the queen of England.

She won't abdicate.

She will give some of her more public duties to Charles, who has been doing quite a few for her now anyway e.g. investitures.

The reading of the boxes, signing legislation and audiences with the PM she will continue doing until her dying breath.

How long she will live? Only God knows and he will take her when he is ready and not before.

Then I too will join in a chorus of God Save the King (Charles III).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom