General News for Queen Elizabeth II: April 2021 - present

Arms of HM The Queen of the United Kingdom

Welcome to Queen Elizabeth II's
General News Thread

Commencing April 2021

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

∑ Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
∑ It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
∑ We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
∑ The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
∑ Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:47 AM
Majesty

General News for Queen Elizabeth II: April 2021 - present

The Dutch media report that the full script for the queen's death and subsequent actions (Operation London Bridge) has been leaked to Politico.

It includes among many other details:
- a speech by the new king and a 'spontaneous' church service in St Paul's on the first day at 18h.
- laying in state at Buckingham Palace from day 2 for 3 days (23 hours a day open for the public)
- a tour by the new king to Scotland (day 3), Northern Ireland (day 4) and Wales (day 7)
- and various measures regarding the use of website and social media by the BRF and government.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:34 AM
Nobility

Although I know this has not been set up recently, it makes me feel uncomfortable to read it.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirilschatz View Post
Although I know this has not been set up recently, it makes me feel uncomfortable to read it.
I think I'd be uncomfortable with reading it too if I didn't know that every single thing that is in Operation London Bridge has been made known to and approved by HM, The Queen.

The monarchy is always prepared for anything down to the smallest of details.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:03 PM
Nobility

Yes of course, and I try to realize it with the knowledge that it HAS to be planned from alpha to omega, since it will be HUGE.

But. You know
Old 09-04-2021, 12:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

I know it does seem weird to even think about the Queen not being there with her smile lighting up a room. She's been a fixture and represented everything I've ever thought a Queen was like for my entire life and I'm fast approaching 70. She ascended the throne a month after I was born.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:43 PM
Aristocracy

The idea of her not being present anymore is completely surreal.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirilschatz View Post
Yes of course, and I try to realize it with the knowledge that it HAS to be planned from alpha to omega, since it will be HUGE.

But. You know

It has to be planned and everyone knows that, but it has not to be published. The Press should not write about this but this is the british Press which hasn't Respect from anything.

Old 09-04-2021, 12:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It has to be planned and everyone knows that, but it has not to be published. The Press should not write about this but this is the british Press which hasn't Respect from anything.
It's not totally news, I think a lot of details have emerged ealier. I think it got an update after Covid and everything.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Politico is NOT the British press. It's the European division of an American media organisation. The British press have been very critical of the lack of respect shown by the leaking of the documents. And please don't generalise about "the British press" as if it were all one amorphous mass - it isn't.

I'm sure we're all well aware that there are detailed plans for the funerals of all senior Royals, but it's very unpleasant to have them actually published - how would the journalists concerned feel about people discussing their funerals. At one time, talking about the death of the monarch could get you locked up in the Tower of London - shame it doesn't any more!
Old 09-04-2021, 05:09 PM
Serene Highness

A lot of noise over nothing in that article...

What was the news ? That the PM and the cabinet will attend a service at St Pauls that is to appear spontaneous for us who will be at work or in school ?

The rest is publicly known since several years... It will be a day just like any day until BP sends out the press statement, and no one who works or is in school will have any time to count the minutes until the government has lowered their flags.... Totally unnessecary article from politico there
Old 09-04-2021, 09:58 PM
Royal Highness

I didn't know about the tour of the new King. What a horrible thing to have to do when your mother has just died.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

I agree. I think a more appropriate time for a tour of the nations of Great Britain would be *after* the coronation. Let Charles mourn his mother's death in peace and quiet. Business as usual and I imagine there'll be a *lot* of business to take care of but no tours. JMO of course.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:00 AM
Serene Highness

You do realise that the funeral and tour etc are done with discussions with HM QEII and Prince Charles? It is clear that everything are the wishes of HM. Perhaps QEII wants her life to be celebrated rather than traditional mourning. Charles will not be a young King too so it seems she want "business as usual" when she does die. And that is very much like her.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I agree. I think a more appropriate time for a tour of the nations of Great Britain would be *after* the coronation. Let Charles mourn his mother's death in peace and quiet. Business as usual and I imagine there'll be a *lot* of business to take care of but no tours. JMO of course.
The Coronation could take place up to 18 months into the new reign. There were sixteen months between The Queen's Accession and her Coronation. I don't think the new King will wait that long to visit his Kingdoms.

Of course, there will probably be a Coronation tour as well, possibly including as many of the Commonwealth countries as practicable. Of course, the new King could be quite elderly himself by then, and may deputize his heir to do the overseas visits.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
The Coronation could take place up to 18 months into the new reign. There were sixteen months between The Queen's Accession and her Coronation. I don't think the new King will wait that long to visit his Kingdoms.

But that means there is enough time to let some time pass after the funeral and then have the Tour before the coronation.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:24 AM
Royal Highness

In medieval and Tudor times, the tour of the kingdom was necessary so that people could see the new monarch and he/she could establish their authority over areas a long way from the capital. I suppose it's a throwback to that ... although not really necessary in the same way in the age of TV.

Queen Mary left instructions that none of the Coronation festivities were to be cancelled if she died beforehand ... which, as it turned out, she did. The days of everyone wearing black for a year and all engagements being cancelled for months are gone.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
I didn't know about the tour of the new King. What a horrible thing to have to do when your mother has just died.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
You do realise that the funeral and tour etc are done with discussions with HM QEII and Prince Charles? It is clear that everything are the wishes of HM. Perhaps QEII wants her life to be celebrated rather than traditional mourning. Charles will not be a young King too so it seems she want "business as usual" when she does die. And that is very much like her.
I think you nailed it SLV and when you think that the plans are drawn up by a government department, approved by BP and then successive PM's, it all seems so cold but, believe me, an unplanned funeral is painful for all concerned and for Charles and the government to know beforehand what is expected of them is essential.
However, the plans we see leaked may or may not be true and the actual plans themselves are a work in progress.. For instance, Charles grief for his father's death was displayed in the same way as his
mother did.

Both retreated for a day of personal mourning and in less than a week both were back doing their engagements. This actually may be a result of Prince Philip's longevity which would have been cause for celebration rather than intense grief, and so it will be when HM dies.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:03 PM
Heir Apparent

The article in Politico is in fact less exhaustive than the Guardian article on the Queen's funeral plans in 2017, which was sourced from interviews with officials and so on.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
But that means there is enough time to let some time pass after the funeral and then have the Tour before the coronation.
I agree... Though i can see the point in visiting the parliaments in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland soon after accession to aknowledge them as a part of the Kingdom as much as England, and not under the control of a Governor General, its not like Charles havenít been there before and needs to be introduced...

It would have made more sense to me to wait with visits of
any kind until after his mother is buried... But thatís just my point of view...