General News for Queen Elizabeth II: April 2021 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and we all admire her, but I think it's a bit inhuman.

She is of sound mind and as such, if she wants to continue working at the pace she does, then nobody can stop her. But I think a rethink into the whole "reigning for life" concept does need to change. Even Bhutan has in their constitution that the King must step down from reigning once they turn 65 if the heir apparent is over the age of 21

"Preliminary" may just mean that they don't know for sure what the problem is and are doing scans or blood tests to try to rule certain things out or identify an issue, but it's all a bit worrying. Hopefully it's something minor.

The queen has so far enjoyed robust health and I will admit I have found this slightly worrying given Her Majesty's age.

I think it's horrible to see a 95 years old still working. She deserves some rest.

She wants to go on working... She is well supported and can take breaks when she needs to....

She wants to go on working... She is well supported and can take breaks when she needs to....

I agree. Nothing depletes the will to live in an elderly person than to take away what they love to do the best and the Queen loves what she does.

Of course, as time passes she'll need to rest more and slow down just how much she can take on in a week but it'll be in her time and at her pace. She knows how she feels and she's going to listen to her doctors and advisors but she's not ready for the rocking chair. Yet. I know from experience too that there are days when you have something be not quite right and it can and does take everything out of you and it takes forever to come back.

The Dutch media mention that earlier this week a message was shared that from now on the queen would be accompanied by her children or grandchildren on each of her engagements (so they can step in if the queen cannot come - seems to be the thought). Was this indeed communicated?

They also stress that the palace tries to make it look like that nothing serious is going on by sharing pictures of the queen at work from Windsor Castle (receiving ambassadors virtually).

The first time I heard this was when Philip retired. The emphasis was that the Queen's children would step up to be with her more. They even had a term for it and called it "Team Windsor". That seems forever ago now. It makes sense though now that the Queen is 95 that there will be contingencies in place should the Queen have to pull out of something. At 95, ye old get up and go doesn't a lot of the time.

The Queen has taken her vow to serve the Crown, her country and Commonwealth for the remainder of her life very seriously. She deeply believes it is a job for life, i.e. until the day she takes her last breath.

I personally believe reigning Monarchs should retire, like in the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Bhutan and Japan.

I think it should just be an individual decision. Some people like/need/want to continue working in some capacity. They need a sense of purpose, something specific to do.

HM seems to want to continue on- albeit scaling back what she does as necessary.

Considering her recent uptick in physical activity, and her use of a cane recently, I am wondering if it's something to do with her knee. The hospital visit could well have been xrays, scans, etc., to determine a course of treatment.

I am sure her doctors know her much better than we, so doctors orders to rest may have been the only way to keep her activity level light, so that the mobility difficulties are resolved in time.

JMHO.

Considering her recent uptick in physical activity, and her use of a cane recently, I am wondering if it's something to do with her knee. The hospital visit could well have been xrays, scans, etc., to determine a course of treatment.

I am sure her doctors know her much better than we, so doctors orders to rest may have been the only way to keep her activity level light, so that the mobility difficulties are resolved in time.

JMHO.

That was what I suspected, too, the knee.

I read this morning in a magazine, I think it was OK! but not sure, since it just popped up on my newsfeed, that she can't go for walkies with the dogs anymore. I instantly thought that all the medical fuss of the last weeks might lead to walking problems, which would be annoying but of course not THAT bad.

I think the Queen is one of those people who gets a sense of satisfaction and purpose from her work. There’s the duty part of it, yes, and she obviously takes that very seriously, but I agree that she clearly wants to continue to work. No one is forcing her to keep going, and I think I remember either William or Charles once mentioning that the family actually wishes she’d slow down a bit, or accept more help.

She’s physically strong for her age, and mentally very sharp. It’s understandable that she wants to keep working. I think it’s great, and admirable, as long as she does take breaks when she needs them.

I wish her all the best and that after the two weeks she can fulfil her duties in the way she wants to do. My hopes for her are that she suffers nothing bad.

I hope the Queen has nothing serious wrong. I wish her all the best. If she is not riding her horse for the past few months maybe it is with her back or knees. They can both
flair up and cause bad pain.

The Queen has had trouble with her knees for quite a few years now. And I do think that is the cause of this recent health news. All the walking and standing in the last few weeks had caused another flare up. She must find it incredibly frustrating. It’s not too long to Remembrance Sunday either. If the Queen is forced to miss that appearance it will be extremely sad.

The Queen has had trouble with her knees for quite a few years now. And I do think that is the cause of this recent health news. All the walking and standing in the last few weeks had caused another flare up. She must find it incredibly frustrating. It’s not too long to Remembrance Sunday either. If the Queen is forced to miss that appearance it will be extremely sad.

From experience, I know that with a flare up of knee problems, if you don't rest them and give them time to heal up, the problem only gets worse. As much as the Queen may feel frustrated at having to miss some things, she also is going to listen to her doctors and do what they tell her to do so that she *can* continue to do the things she loves. I'd not be surprised if a doctor looked her straight in the eye and said "Ma'am, if you don't rest your knees now, the next addition to the royal fleet may just be a royal purple wheelchair to get you around".

HM is probably also quite thankful that she's adept at virtual appearances these days. It gives her the solace that she didn't miss the event totally and completely but was there in a way that she could be. ?

I've just come across this article that was posted on CNN's website and it's a good read. ?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/29/uk/royal-news-newsletter-10-29-21-scli-gbr-cmd-intl/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully the Queen will be well enough to attend the Cenotaph for Remembrance Sunday on November 14th!

They could, perhaps, do things at the Cenotaph again this year like they did last year. The Queen viewed everything from the balcony while The Prince of Wales laid a wreath for her. This would be so much easier on HM and most likely become how things are done at the Cenotaph going into the future.

God Rest The Queen!

They could, perhaps, do things at the Cenotaph again this year like they did last year. The Queen viewed everything from the balcony while The Prince of Wales laid a wreath for her. This would be so much easier on HM and most likely become how things are done at the Cenotaph going into the future.

God Rest The Queen!

They have done that since Philip retired as the first year after he retired he wanted to attend but not lay a wreath so she was on the balcony with him and Charles laid the wreath for the Queen and then for himself. He has done so every year since.

God Rest The Queen!

That has been the procedure every year since 2017...

The difference last year was that The Queen had her Lady in Waiting beside her instead of Camilla and Catherine (to comply with the Covid-restrictions).

I think the Festival of Remembrance has been an ongoing concern to some extent. The Queen's usual seat in the royal box is down several steps, and several years ago the BBC didn't show her entrance into the box, and they haven't shown it since, which makes me think it must have been a pre-arranged decision between the household and the BBC.

Last edited:
I hope the Queen has nothing serious wrong. I wish her all the best. If she is not riding her horse for the past few months maybe it is with her back or knees. They can both
flair up and cause bad pain.

I don't think there is any major concern yet about the Queen's health, but you have also to keep in mind that the Covid situation is still out of control in the United Kingdom with over 40,000 new cases per day and about 1,000 daily new hospitalizations. I do not know if the Queen has already received her booster dose, but the immunity from the two doses of the vaccine that she received 6 months ago has probably waned by now. Besides, people in her age bracket get much lower neutralizing antibody serum levels from the vaccines than younger people. In my humble opinion, she should still be shielding and refrain from participating in public events that involve contact with multiple people. Her recent public appearances where she was unmasked and not wearing gloves were particularly irresponsible, again in my opinion.

Last edited:
I think the Festival of Remembrance has been an ongoing concern to some extent. The Queen's usual seat in the royal box is down several steps, and several years ago the BBC didn't show her entrance into the box, and they haven't shown it since, which makes me think it must have been a pre-arranged decision between the household and the BBC.

That is the same as with the State Opening of Parliament or -recently- the visit to the Welsh Assembly: the Wales' couple advancing the stairs to the House of Lords resp. the Welsh Assemby and the Queen privately taking the elevator with a lady-in-waiting.

Queen Elizabeth II ‘Seems In Very Good Form,’ Boris Johnson Says

Bloomberg

“I spoke to her Majesty as I do every week as part of my job,” Johnson said to broadcasters in Rome on Saturday. “She’s been told by her doctors that she’s got to rest and I think we’ve got to respect that and understand that. Everybody wishes her all the very best.”

I don't think there is any major concern yet about the Queen's health, but you have also to keep in mind that the Covid situation is still out of control in the United Kingdom with over 40,000 new cases per day and about 1,000 daily new hospitalizations.

I just wanted to comment on the "Covid situation is still out of control in the United Kingdom with over 40,000 new cases per day". I really do not think it is out of control, case rates have been pretty steady in the 30,000-40,000 per day for around 3 months now, barring a recent spike to around 50,000 which appears to have receded. Despite these high numbers, thankfully, the death rates remain quite low, usually between 100 and 150 per day. Whilst none of us would like to see any COVID related deaths, given where we have been, this perhaps is as good as it is going to get. All of this, IMO, is a testament to the very successful vaccination programme we have had this year.

Queen Elizabeth was seen on the grounds of Windsor Castle this morning, November 1:

** rex gallery **

Last edited:
Must be just a short visit to Sandringham, as the Court’s still at Windsor (Royal Standard flying above Windsor Castle right now)

View attachment 302720

According to The Times, she’s spending the weekend, starting to make Christmas preparations, probably polishing the silver and scrubbing the scullery floor!?
There’s also an explanation about the flying of the Royal Standard.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/queen-given-go-ahead-by-doctors-to-have-a-weekend-away-wvlrzfqnj

This headline gave me a start:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...i/news-story/3466c0a0a02451ffe14e3a084c03af5e

I thought, no wonder she’s so tired! After reading the article, I can only say, Sorry, Your Majesty.

(The initial headline said only she partied and drank- didn’t mention the war.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom