General News for Queen Elizabeth II: April 2021 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well with the first one she was having a private conversation that got caught by cameras at an official event. I expect she's said similar 100s of times but it hasn't been caught. It's the same sort of capture as the "but a sword is more fun!" comments from the G7 earlier this year where the cameras are rolling and get something interesting that wasn't official.

And whilst it probably wasn't meant to get out it hasn't hurt her and there have been a couple of times she's expressly wanted her opinion to get out (IndyRef).

As for apparently giving up alcohol, it is intimate but it's also possible it's something that she authorised "sources close to the Queen" to make public. There have always been reports of that sort "Queen advised to stop driving" "Queen has decided to have no more dogs because of her age" and things like that. I hope so anyway.

Is it just me, or are people around HM getting a little loose-lipped with the press?

The last few days have seen some rather indiscreet revelations. First, HM's comment about world leaders saying a lot and doing nothing about global warming, then, a particularly personal item about how HM's doctor advised her to give up her martinis.

I don't like it one bit.
I´m pretty sure everybody knowing the Queen also know about her concern about global warming and the environment in general. So that´s no big surprise nor any big deal.
What personal physicians of HM advice or do not advice her to do is another matter.

In a parliamentary session on 18th October, The Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced that The Queen agreed to grant Southend a city status, following the killing of Southend-on-Sea MP Sir David Amess.

Sir David Amess: Southend to become a city in honour of MP
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced the Queen has agreed Southend will be granted city status following the killing of MP Sir David Amess.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-58956615

Sir David has been championing for Southend to be a city "almost every week in parliament in recent years". Southend is one of the several towns competing for city status.

Politicians from all sides of the political spectrum have joined a campaign to make Southend-on-Sea a city, in honour of the local MP Sir David Amess who was fatally stabbed on Friday.

Southend is one of several towns competing for city status as part of the Queen’s platinum jubilee celebrations in 2022. Amess championed Southend’s case for city designation for more than two decades, mentioning it almost every week in parliament in recent years.

“I’ve spent all my time mentioning it at every conceivable opportunity … if they want to shut me up … then they should grant us city status,” he told BBC Essex the day before his death.

Since Friday many MPs have publicly voiced their support for Southend’s bid, to pay homage to Amess’s 38-year career in public service.

The Speaker of the House of Commons, Lindsay Hoyle, told BBC News there would be “no better tribute” to Amess than honouring his wish of making Southend a city.

“So with the jubilee next year, let’s give Southend city status and see Sir David’s final ambition realised,” the Conservative MP Chris Skidmore tweeted on Saturday.

MPs back Southend-on-Sea bid for city status to honour David Amess
Local MP who was killed on Friday mentioned campaign almost every week in parliament in recent years
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...sea-bid-for-city-status-to-honour-david-amess

It's very sad that Sir David did not live to see the Platinum Jubilee next year, not just the campaigning for Southend city status, but a staunch monarchist/royalist. His mother was a dressmaker, who was involved in the wedding dress making for the late Duchess of Gloucester and lived up to the age of 104.

https://www.davidamess.co.uk/news/sir-david-calls-debate-role-monarchy
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/n...k-successful-career-beloved-southend-west-mp/

Last edited:
Good on her - she is official 25.

No one can say she still doesn't have her graciousness, feistiness, and sharp wit with with her.

That's hilarious. (The best part is you know she had to tell the Asst. Private Secretary what to say – it's not like he would dare make that up, so straight from the horse's mouth here.)

Last edited:
I guess it is nothing too serious, but a case of light exhaustion after all her engagements last days and week.

I hope she will take the time to rest a bit and relax :flowers:

I hope it's nothing serious, and the Queen recovers quickly.

Statement from Buckingham Palace : On her doctor’s advice, the Queen has cancelled today’s planned visit to Northern Ireland.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FCInRlGXEAAn_Ii?format=jpg&name=medium
One of the ladies I care for spent two days in her pyjamas after her birthday party last Saturday. The Queen thought she could do Northern Ireland two days after hosting an evening reception. I'd say that soon we'll see her only doing a few London based, or even palace based, engagements, some Zoom-calls and social media.

Last edited:
I can' believe the amount of work she still does at her age !

She looked OK last week, although she was using a walking stick, and at the reception at Windsor the other day, but she's had a busy few weeks and she *is* 95. Hopefully she just needs to rest.

While in NI, Her Majesty was due to attend a church service in Armagh to commemorate the centenary of the formation of Northern Ireland as a country. The President of Ireland, Michael D Higgins, was also invited but declined the invitation, to the consternation of some Unionists. This has turned the church service into a bit of a political 'hot potato'.
One wonders if there may have been some 'political intervention', to prevent the British Head of State being present while the Irish Head of State was not??
Anyhow, it would be no surprise if HM needed some time to rest after her recent busy schedule, and before her attendance at the COP26 conference in Glasgow next week.

Buckingham Palace announced that the queen ''reluctantly accepted medical advice to rest for the next few days" and will remain in London.

Hopefully the queen will get some rest ahead of the COP26 climate change conference in Glasgow later this month.

Last edited:
Last edited:
"The Queen attended hospital Tuesday". As if it were another engagement...

With any luck she is just fine.

I wonder whether there might have been pain in the legs due to the amount of standing and walking in recent engagements. Maybe just a cautious checkup?

Last edited:
The Queen is 95 years old, so you have to pay close attention to your health. Probably the Queen was lower down and they decided to take her to the hospital as a precaution for exams.
Hope she is recovering and that we can see her again soon.

One thing stands out for me. HM, The Queen went to the hospital. How easy would it have been for all the queen's doctors and all the queen's men to come to her at her slightest wish that they would. She went to the hospital and got checked out and is back again. If what I'm thinking is correct, then this is a woman that doesn't believe in "putting people out" because she happens to be The Queen and it made more sense to her to go to them rather than have them come to her.

So, to my thinking, this is an example of just how much a 95 year old Queen thinks of other people instead of just herself. ?

One thing stands out for me. HM, The Queen went to the hospital. How easy would it have been for all the queen's doctors and all the queen's men to come to her at her slightest wish that they would. She went to the hospital and got checked out and is back again. If what I'm thinking is correct, then this is a woman that doesn't believe in "putting people out" because she happens to be The Queen and it made more sense to her to go to them rather than have them come to her.

So, to my thinking, this is an example of just how much a 95 year old Queen thinks of other people instead of just herself. ?
You are right but some to of the big apparatus for scans or IRM for example cannot be moved, and someone has to go to them.

You are right but some to of the big apparatus for scans or IRM for example cannot be moved, and someone has to go to them.

This is true. Especially if it's her legs and knees bothering her.

Maybe I should write HM a letter and suggest that she do as my husband does. He gets called in for a CAT scan, he'll refuse because he's not a cat person. He'll say he prefers a DOG scan. Cracks 'em up every time. :D

I'm just happy we're getting the impression that whatever the Queen went to the hospital for, it was most likely minor. As said upthread, at 95 years old, one can't be too careful.

:previous: Absolutely agree. However, with no Andrew visible they have to get some "Royal" news so I guess HM is all they have left. Then again, there is really no evidence that the doctor said a damned thing about HM, it would be a breach of HIPAA.

Just for the record, HIPAA is US law, not British, but I’m confident the UK has similar protections.

I'm just happy we're getting the impression that whatever the Queen went to the hospital for, it was most likely minor. As said upthread, at 95 years old, one can't be too careful.

We were told the same sort of thing back in February - about Philip - it was for observation for a pre-existing condition - turned into a month in hospital and a few weeks at home before he left us.

Please note - I am not suggesting that the Queen is on her last legs but more that what is released by BP is often quite misleading and they will play down any illness right to the end.

We were told the same sort of thing back in February - about Philip - it was for observation for a pre-existing condition - turned into a month in hospital and a few weeks at home before he left us.

Please note - I am not suggesting that the Queen is on her last legs but more that what is released by BP is often quite misleading and they will play down any illness right to the end.

That's been an unwritten rule with the palace that they never comment on the personal health issues of any of the royal family. We're told as little as possible to protect their privacy. Some things the public just doesn't need to know.

I have to giggle at my crazy thought going through my head typing this. The Queen isn't the kind of person to advertise her health problems which was totally different than one guy here that checked into the hospital with Covid and then had to take a car ride around the outside of the hospital waving to the cheering crowd gathered. Talk about a PR stunt! :eek:

They'll make a blanket statement and that's it.

Last edited:
Prince Philip though had had several stays in hospital during the last years of his life, and some medical procedures, always a stress on an ageing body. The Queen hasn’t had any of that. A painful knee, mysterious digestive problem a couple of years ago and that’s it.

I agree that it is a different situation than with Prince Philip.... still though. I can understand why some media might be looking at the palace a bit sideways. You can tell they don't believe all is truly well. I hope she was just a bit exhausted and is not resting. I know they have COP26 coming up. I wonder if she will still attend.

This is true. Especially if it's her legs and knees bothering her.

Maybe I should write HM a letter and suggest that she do as my husband does. He gets called in for a CAT scan, he'll refuse because he's not a cat person. He'll say he prefers a DOG scan. Cracks 'em up every time. :D

My paternal grandma broke her leg 4 years ago. The doctor said full bed rest for few days but no hospital stay needed so we took her home. She thought, felt, and was so sure that she's fine so of course, at home, she kept doing as she pleased. In the end, my dad sent her back to hospital and kept her there for 3 days just so she'd have her bed rest. I swear it's easier to handle my toddler cousins than my 83 year old grandma. It seems like The Queen is a more stubborn person than my grandma, so it could be why they asked her to stay overnight at the hospital instead of "letting her loose" at Windsor castle.

I wonder if it was really wise by the communications department to announce that she had been taken in - if there really was nothing to worry about.... As she is 95 it just creates drama and speculations....

I understand that King Edward VII Hospital probably would not want to handle an enormous amount of journalists outside, if The Queen is just in for lets say blood, heart and lung tests and an x-ray.... But had i been in charge i probably would not have sent out the last statement at all...

Now media will be on their toes for the slightest signs and don’t really trust the official statements....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom