General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if someone (say at Balmoral ) tweeted to say [leaving at 3am] to be in london for all staff meeting at Buckingham palace, they might have known before hand but nothing said publicly. be a big logistical step - buses? or trains to get how many people there if called urgently at 3am
:w00t:

Whatever it is it's been badly handled. Either make sure things aren't leaked or make a statement first up.

Just out of curiosity, are flags lowered in case of a death in the royal family?

Not at the palace.

Buckingham only flies the royal standard. It is down if queen is away, up if there. Nothing else. It is never half mast even for death of a sovereign. The standard of which ever senior royal was present would fly. The queen mums flew when her husband died, until the new queen got back from Kenya.

Honestly if this is just a meeting the palace needs to rethink how they do things. Why was this meeting even announced? Telling news outlets there will be an announcement at 8am? Only an idiot would not realize what speculation this would lead to. The meeting could have been held like any other, and a press release after. Not cause so much commotion if nothing is happening. It's not like anyone would recognize the staff from balmoral on an airplane and know something is up. If the news is just an update on renovations, if I was the media I'd be pissed about the storm they have been weathering by people demanding news.

Whatever it is it's been badly handled. Either make sure things aren't leaked or make a statement first up.

Exactly. If this really is just a standard meeting, why not officially confirm that :ermm: By saying it will be addressed at 8am they have made it out to be some big announcement. 8am announcements are fir births if babies, deaths and so on. Important things that are handled by official announcement and not simply press release.

Some serious looking into their staff and practices is needed if this is simply 'the queen will be moving to Windsor full time as renovations start in fall'.

Last edited by a moderator:
All those speculations are good and valid points - but why an "emergency" meeting at 3am?
*** Just thinking loud ***
BYe Bine

There was no meeting at 3:00 AM. 3:00 AM was just when the story started to circulate. It seems the meeting is at 10:00.

Buckingham only flies the royal standard. It is down if queen is away, up if there. Nothing else.

That was true before Diana's death, but since then, the Union Jack has been flown when the Queen is not in residence.

Exactly. If this really is just a standard meeting, why not officially confirm that :ermm: By saying it will be addressed at 8am they have made it out to be some big announcement. 8am announcements are fir births if babies, deaths and so on. Important things that are handled by official announcement and not simply press release.

I'm not sure they ever did say there would be an announcement at 8:00 AM. Social media seems to have decided that if there was an "emergency meeting," it must be about a death, and if there was a death, it would therefore be announced at 8:00, and everyone just ran with that time.

Just out of curiosity, are flags lowered in case of a death in the royal family?

The Royal Standard - or The Queen's Flag - is never lowered. If the Queen had died then that standard would have been transferred to wherever Charles is staying and would be a full mast (the Queen is dead, Long live the King).

All other flags on the palaces and around the nation would move to half-mast as soon as the death was announced IF the person was a senior royal e.g. The Queen, Philip or Charles.

For a lesser royal it would only be the flags on some buildings/palaces etc e.g. William would probably see the flags at KP but not necessarily anywhere else.

That was true before Diana's death, but since then, the Union Jack has been flown when the Queen is not in residence.

The Union flag has always flown when the Queen is not in residence. I have photos that I took there in the 1980s of the Union Flag flying above the palace. It was how people could easily tell who was present - Royal Standard = the Queen, Union Flag = no Queen.

That was the issue when Diana died as the Union Flag wasn't lowered for her - because the flag at BP was never lowered but it always flew. Now the Union Flag will be lowered for a senior royal e.g. it was lowered for the Queen Mother.

For a lesser royal it would only be the flags on some buildings/palaces etc e.g. William would probably see the flags at KP but not necessarily anywhere else.

That might happen for Beatrice or Eugenie, or one of the Queen's cousins, but regardless of how active he is or the fact that he's "just" a grandson of the monarch, William is not a "lesser" royal. If he were to die unexpectedly, he'd get full honours, otherwise the public would revolt.

They did it with Diana, who wasn't even a royal at the time of her death. They'd do it with William, Kate, Harry, or one of the kids.

There was no meeting at 3:00 AM. 3:00 AM was just when the story started to circulate. It seems the meeting is at 10:00.

I'm not sure they ever did say there would be an announcement at 8:00 AM. Social media seems to have decided that if there was an "emergency meeting," it must be about a death, and if there was a death, it would therefore be announced at 8:00, and everyone just ran with that time.

At least one reporter has said that they were told to be prepared for an announcement this morning. It's not a stretch to believe the press that their offices had been informed of a coming announcement and the time.

How possible is it that something like the old ceiling in BP that had been losing pieces has collapsed and now BP is not considered safe to be a residence. That, to me, would rate an emergency meeting and calling in all staff as the royal family would be advised to move out as soon as possible and staff is needed to move people and things.

For some reason, a death in the royal family wouldn't warrant calling in all the staff. Or would it?

Just waiting on news. Woke up to the pending announcement and anxious to know that everyone or eveything is OK.

Would that really require the calling in of the staff from Balmoral and Sandringham whom I believe have been called in - not just those based in BP or Windsor but from all over the Kingdom.

It would make sense to me if, as someone before me has mentioned, priceless items have to be relocated to different residences. I would imagine moving the royal family and their things to various locations would be a "all hands on deck" type of a situation.

Just musing and waiting. Waiting is always the hardest part.

Lead story on both major TV channel's evening news here in Australia, with live cross-overs interviewing Royal reporter Rob Jobson and someone from the New York Times - who are amongst the media outside of Buckingham Palace.

Mention made that the church service, that both the Queen and Prince Philip are due to attend in a few hours, has not been altered

Television crews stand outside Buckingham Palace in central London on May 4, 2017. There is "no cause for alarm" over the health of Queen Elizabeth II and her husband after a meeting of all royal staff sparked frenzied speculation, a source told AFP today.

Belga Image

Prince Philip attends Catton Hall carriage driving trials | Daily Mail Online

Retirement trotting along nicely:prince Philip flies solo for a weekend with friends at the Catton Hall carriage driving trials

Prince Philip started carriage racing when he was 50 | Daily Mail Online

''Why I took up carriage racing aged FIFTY:prince Philip's first interview since he retired reveals how he started the dangerous sport when others would have been reaching for the slippers"

@DailyMailUK:Ex-royal press secretary says the meeting could be about #BuckinghamPalace's proposed £369m refurb http://dailym.ai/2p8BRYz

Last edited:
:previous:

Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich's mother was Princess Alexandra of Greece and Denmark, the eldest sister of the Duke's father Prince Andrew. Alexandra died after giving birth to Dmitri in 1891, when Andrew was only 9.

George I of Greece -- Alexandra of Greece and Denmark -- Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich of Russia
George I of Greece -- Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark -- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

I know I have seen her driving her Range Rover at Balmoral but for some reason this still seems change for me. Glad she is still doing things like driving and riding.

Nice to see him out enjoying. Carriage driving isn't just a hobby for him but a patronage :flowers:

The mention of Edward is not news. Edward has been slowly taking over the role of the awards for years, he and Sophie have represented Philip at more and more events for the awards well before.

Not only is it a passion for Philip and a patronage, from what I've read, he's practically defined the sport of carriage driving over the years. This is something I don't see Philip ever losing interest in or giving up. Mostly from the sidelines though these days although he's been spotted recently driving through Windsor. :D

New statues of the Queen and Prince Philip are to installed in Norwich Cathedral to mark the 65th anniversary of the monarch’s coronation next year.

The specially-commissioned statues will be carved by York-based sculptor Charles Gurrey and be positioned in the cathedral cloisters above the stone troughs where monks once washed their hands before and after meals.

The statues will sit beside those of King George V, Queen Mary, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, carved in the late 1930s by sculptor Gilbert Ledward RA, known for his war memorials in London.
Read more: Statues of the Queen and Prince Philip to be added in Norwich Cathedral - Norfolk News | Eastern Daily Press

I doubt the Queen will ever retire unless health overcomes self will!

However over the next year or so I would like to see her give up much of her duties to the next two generations down.

Second down could do with an eye opener where duties are concerned. We'll see ...

HM had a personal event tonight - good for her - I like to think she is able to enjoy some nights on the town - i feel these occasions are too rare

The Queen makes her debut at The Ivy in London | Daily Mail Online

The Queen carries a purse with image of Princess Margaret | Daily Mail Online

Looking forward to retirement! Prince Philip parks up in his Land Rover Discovery to watch carriage driving trials

Prince Philip watches the Carriage Driving Trials | Daily Mail Online

I wonder if she received the purse as a gift at the party? You know sometimes guest get a gift at the end of the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom