General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Philip has had trouble with his heart before, so it is possible that he has had a heart attack. I didn't think anything serious was going on until I saw reports of roads to Buckingham Palace being closed.

I hope not, but he is an old man. :sad:

This wait is also bringing back memories of last fall when my dad passed away suddenly (I wasn't at home) and didn't find out until the next morning.

It's local Election Day in the U.K. today it has got to be something big as they would avoid announcing anything today and wouldn't be calling staff who would be voting locally to a emergency meeting.

Exactly. If it as abdication (Which clearly it not) The Queen would wait and announcement hat most likely after UK General election. And Why else would Royal Family "allegedly" be called to PAalce at this of night?

If the Queen had any intention of abdicating clearly ti be in the day time that she would tell them.

:previous: Perhaps that was a long discussion about the dissolution of Parliament.

I have heard that the flag over BP has been lowered to half mast. Can anyone confirm this ?

My condolences rmay286. My father passed away quite suddenly, and I was away as well. It's a real shock.

This wait is also bringing back memories of last fall when my dad passed away suddenly (I wasn't at home) and didn't find out until the next morning.

Just waiting to hear something from the Royal reporters and correspondents.

What's going on? There is no news in the U.S. about anything. Please keep posting.

An Australian media website has reported that UK media is "swarming to Buckingham Palace" LadyGabrielle.

Whether this is accurate or not, this is no longer confined to twitter as many mainstream media are detailing the meeting - saying it was called at 3.00am London time - without trying to fan the speculation.

A New Zealand newspaper is reporting their calls to Buckingham Palace are going un-answered.

Last edited:
If this all turns out to be nothing and Prince Philip is just fine, I look forward to him going to his scheduled engagements tomorrow and having a good laugh at our expense.

But in the meantime, I don't think I'll be going to bed anytime soon until we hear something definitive.

The Royal Standard doesn't get lowered to half mast. So as long as the Queen is there, royal standard is full mast.

The situation on Twitter is exactly what's known as the fog of war. A lot of initial reports will be wrong.

The initial reports that the family had been called to the palace don't seem to be picking up any steam, and haven't been followed up by any sightings that I've seen, so that may be incorrect.

ETA: Robert Jobson has weighed in and seems unconcerned: https://twitter.com/theroyaleditor/status/859978918387994624
My understanding re so called Buckingham Palace "emergency meeting" is there is no cause for alarm.

Last edited:
If this all turns out to be nothing and Prince Philip is just fine, I look forward to him going to his scheduled engagements tomorrow and having a good laugh at our expense.

But in the meantime, I don't think I'll be going to bed anytime soon until we hear something definitive.

Yup, I've accepted that I'll be up for the next three hours until we know.

:previous: Yes. And if the queen passes, the standard if Charles would fly as the senior royal there.

That was the controversy when Diana died. People made a huge fuss as no flag was being flown. It was pointed out the queen was at Balmoral so of course no flag was flown. And even if she was there, it would never be lowered. It wasn't when either of the queen's parents died. To calm things, the Union Jack was flown and at hair mast. Usually only the queen's standard is ever flown.

My heart is hurting as I am fearing news of Philip. It just have been sudden as he had an event :sad:

The queen would never abdicate. And even if she did, not in the middle of the night.

My condolences rmay286. My father passed away quite suddenly, and I was away as well. It's a real shock.

Thanks - sorry you had to experience that too.

They are saying this meeting was called at 3 am, which is why I wonder why Robert Jobson would say there is 'no cause for alarm.'

It's midnight here...should I stay up...???

Last edited:
:previous: Yes. And if the queen passes, the standard if Charles would fly as the senior royal there.

That was the controversy when Diana died. People made a huge fuss as no flag was being flown. It was pointed out the queen was at Balmoral so of course no flag was flown. And even if she was there, it would never be lowered. It wasn't when either of the queen's parents died. To calm things, the Union Jack was flown and at hair mast. Usually only the queen's standard is ever flown.

My heart is hurting as I am fearing news of Philip. It just have been sudden as he had an event :sad:

The queen would never abdicate. And even if she did, not in the middle of the night.

And never, in a million years of Sundays, in the middle of a general election.

I want to believe Philip is okay I really do. But something major must have happened. Emergency meetings don't get called in the middle if the night, for no reason. Staff from all residences called and brought after midnight, something big is happening. Praying it's not our worst fears.

Abdication isn't something that can be done in a day especially with the realms involved. It took 2 years to change the succession laws.

BBC news isn't saying anything. It's 6 p.m. Wed here. Anything else that anyone is hearing?

I'm an hour ahead of you. It's "only" another three hours' waiting for me.
I might stay up; or I might just check in again if I don't sleep.

Thanks - sorry you had to experience that too.

They are saying this meeting was held at 3 am, which is why I wonder why Robert Jobson would say there is 'no cause for alarm.'

It's midnight here...should I stay up...???

I'm checking Twitter, which is a bad idea. Most reports are saying Prince Philip has passed away, others saying "Buckingham Palace says there's nothing to worry about." Is it confirmed that there will be a big announcement at 8 am? I suppose either way we will have to wait until then to see.

It would not be announced if there is anything until 8am UK time. Add London to your world clock on the phone to compare with your time zone.

Is it confirmed that there will be a big announcement at 8 am?

I don't think so. I it's that if there was to be an announcement regarding something that happened overnight, it would be made at 8:00.

Well, maybe I can go to bed after all: Prince Philip not dead, says Buckingham Palace - World - NZ Herald News

Who really knows what's going on?

n Australia Media Outlet (Verified Account) did tweet that they were told by The Palace that all was well but even if things weren't I expect the same response anyway! It the rule that no news until 8am and they are not gonna break the news to an Australia News Outlet. It may be nothing but we will know in a few more hours but Qa Channel ten reporter did say the royal fMaily be called to the Palace

BBC news isn't saying anything. It's 6 p.m. Wed here. Anything else that anyone is hearing?

It's 2.10pm in the afternoon here in Sydney LadyGabrielle, and one of the national TV channels has just flashed up a "Breaking News" about the meeting being called at Buckingham Palace, saying there will be details in tonight's 6.00pm news broadcast.

This is definitely mainstream news now.

Last edited:
This isn't a standard meeting. I know the lord chamberlain calls them, but are we seriously to believe he calls them in the middle of the night :ermm: it might not be a death, but certainly something.

Highly speculative and possibly off-topic, but would a meeting like this be called if something had happened to one of the children or grandchildren? Or is that unlikely?

This isn't a standard meeting. I know the lord chamberlain calls them, but are we seriously to believe he calls them in the middle of the night :ermm: it might not be a death, but certainly something.

Has it been definitely reported that he called in the middle of the night, or was the meeting called at some earlier time, with word of it only reaching the press in the middle of the night?

Both the BBC website and radio have stated nothing as well as CNN International and Reuters. Apparently French news sources have persisted with rumors of the DOE's passing. We'll know soon enough I guess. Speculating doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom