General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By now, the 'week in London' is rather short and the weekends in Windsor are rather long... So, in practice she mostly spends her nights in Windsor.

I suspect that in normal times now, she goes to Windsor most nights when her work is done. It is not that far and she's spending more and more of ehr time there and I am sure she prefers it to London

What seems remarkable to me is realizing the fact that most people that have been able to reach the age of 94 have already been riding off into the sunset for at least a quarter of a century already. The Queen still keeps a very active lifestyle and doesn't flinch when it comes to keeping up with her duties and responsibilities. Taking it "easy" and slowing down is a very gradual thing for her. Simply amazing in my book.

I do think she's most comfortable at Windsor when she's in working mode. Most people would have chosen to retire to their favorite place to be years before reaching 94.

What seems remarkable to me is realizing the fact that most people that have been able to reach the age of 94 have already been riding off into the sunset for at least a quarter of a century already. The Queen still keeps a very active lifestyle and doesn't flinch when it comes to keeping up with her duties and responsibilities. Taking it "easy" and slowing down is a very gradual thing for her. Simply amazing in my book.

I do think she's most comfortable at Windsor when she's in working mode. Most people would have chosen to retire to their favorite place to be years before reaching 94.

From what I've read she feels she vowed to be Queen for the whole of her life and will never step aside. She will give the others more of her duties while she is alive but she won't quit.

Or, a republican could argue, that the job is so easy that even a 94-year old can do it :lol:

I thought she was due to be based at Windsor as a result of the extensive renovations reaching her private neck of the woods in BP.

According to my paper yesterday, they're leaving Balmoral early so that it can be opened up for tourist visits. Not even the Queen is exempt from the financial problems caused by this horrible virus, and the fall off in numbers of people visiting the royal palaces - they were closed for months, and now only limited numbers of people can visit, and very few overseas tourists are coming due to the quarantine rules - has left a big hole in the royal finances. You can just see the headlines if the Queen claimed money from the state furlough scheme to pay staff who'd have to be laid off - which I'm sure she wouldn't dream of doing - and they need to get some money in. It's only newspaper speculation, but it makes sense.

More news today - part of the Sandringham Estate is going to be used as a drive-in cinema! The royal coffers obviously really need filling!

I imagine that Buck Palace hasn't been able to open or has been restritced in its open times this during the summer this year so they probably do need revenues. I think other RF's are in the same boat but to a greater extent and are concerned that they have lost revenue which they use for the upkeep of their palaces... because tourism has all but ground to a halt.

I saw that advertised a week or so ago, along with a planned "Christmas Market" and other activities which I assume might not go ahead now.

I suspect they do need revenue, as all these tourist attractions are finding the pot empty at the moment. But if you've got the space it's a nice idea to arrange something like this.

How annoying, that the press decide to portray that Prince Philip is being 'forced' to spend time with The Queen at Windsor, rather than being allowed to stay at Wood Farm, Sandringham without her!
There are so many more positive angles that they could take, such as that 2 nonagenarians, who have devoted their lives to public service, now have the opportunity to spend more time together
Grrrr!

In their age every day together is a gift from God:hug:

The beauty of the situation of people being married so long as the Queen and the DoE have been, even when they're apart somewhere, they're still as close and intimate as if they were in the same room. This is a happily married couple that don't need to be in each other's back pockets and they know each other so well that whether or not they're together, they *know* each other well enough that it makes them happy that the other is content no matter where they may be.

Love is allowing the other person to become the best possible person that they can be and Elizabeth and Philip exemplifies this to the nth degree. ?

:previous: It was nice to see Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip being driven out of Balmoral together, waving; dorgies in the back of the wagon. I'm having trouble keeping up with this pair;)
It's my understanding they have left Balmoral early for it to be ready to open for (holiday?) visitors. Given tourism has ground to a snail's pace due to covid, hopefully that continues to be true. My question is why not back to Windsor? Could the two week stop off to Sandringham be an opportunity for Prince Philip to spend some time at his Wood Farm on the estate, as the article mentions a compromise. Then they bubble back to Windsor until Christmas holiday. Impressive, really.

I've just read above Hello article, it seems "the finalization of the autumn program" is still under review. That's interesting.

Last edited:
I wonder if its a chance to shrink the "support bubble" around them for a bit before a staffing change? I can't see them needing the same number of staff at Wood Farm as they would at Balmoral and there certainly isn't room for them all to stay in Wood Farm.

Some extracts from Alathea Fitzalan Howard, who was the Queen's and Elizabeth's childhood friend. "She was sent to live with her grandfather Viscount Fitzalan of Derwent, at Cumberland lodge in Windsor Great Park during World War II after her parents separated". The most interesting part of her diary is when Princess Elizabeth (at age 14) secretly revealed her crush on Prince Philip. In the same entry (Saturday 22nd March 1941), Alathea Howard revealed her crush to Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret.

http://https//www.dailymail.co.uk/n...taboola_feed&ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed

Alathea Fitzalan Howard was born in 1923, the elder daughter of Viscount Fitzalan of Derwent, and Joyce Langdale.

Some extracts from Alathea Fitzalan Howard, who was the Queen's and Elizabeth's childhood friend. "She was sent to live with her grandfather Viscount Fitzalan of Derwent, at Cumberland lodge in Windsor Great Park during World War II after her parents separated". The most interesting part of her diary is when Princess Elizabeth (at age 14) secretly revealed her crush on Prince Philip. In the same entry (Saturday 22nd March 1941), Alathea Howard revealed her crush to Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret.

http://https//www.dailymail.co.uk/n...taboola_feed&ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed

Alathea Fitzalan Howard was born in 1923, the elder daughter of Viscount Fitzalan of Derwent, and Joyce Langdale.

The link doesn’t work, but...who can blame anyone for having a crush on Prince Philip? He was a Viking stud, a Greek god ...!

Here is the new link
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...eens-confidante-rAlathea-Fitzalan-Howard.html

I have tried open this on Chrome, hopefully it works (similar to mine). It must have been using different browsers, which stop the link from working.

Thank you!

Wow, this is incredible. I loved reading about HM and Margaret as little princesses, but I was really moved by this poor girl’s miserable childhood...I’m so glad that she and HM kept up their friendship.

Oh so heartwarming! *This* is what makes the Queen iconic and meaningful to so many people. This little girl will cherish the letter from BP for the rest of her life. It also reminds us that even though "The Queen" is held so highly in regards and respected by all people big and small, the Queen still likes to have *all* of her correspondences answered to. Even to a little girl who loves her dogs and even the man begging HM to take the US back. :D

Here’s a really wonderful article by Victoria Arbiter about HM and her bond with her dogs. The story Dr. Nott told is such a beautiful example of the Queen’s kindness and compassion...

Since 1993, David Nott, a celebrated vascular surgeon, has been volunteering his services in disaster and war zones around the world. Affectionately referred to as the "Indiana Jones of surgery", he's been honoured for his work with multiple awards and in 2012 he was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire.

Having witnessed the very worst in human atrocities Nott has spoken openly of his struggles with PTSD and he's admitted it can take up to three months to "get over" a mission. Occasionally plagued by anger, violent rage and flashbacks, he's described some of his most severe attacks as "almost psychotic." Following his return to London after a particularly gruelling stint in Syria in October 2014, Nott was in the midst of one such episode when he accepted an invitation to Buckingham Palace.

Within days he was seated next to Queen Elizabeth at a private luncheon. Politely engaging her guest in conversation the Queen asked Nott where he had come from. "Aleppo," he replied. She asked what it was like. Recalling their exchange in his book War Doctor: Surgery on the Front Line Nott said, "My mind instantly filled with images of toxic dust, of crushed school desks, of bloodied and limbless children…My bottom lip started to go."

Without missing a beat, the Queen reached for a box in front of her and said, "These are for the dogs." She took out a treat, broke it in half and handed a piece to the doctor. For the remainder of lunch the pair fed biscuits to the gaggle of delighted corgis assembled under the table. "All the while we were stroking and petting them, and my anxiety and distress drained away," Nott wrote. "'There,' the Queen said. 'That's so much better than talking, isn't it?'" Two years later, recounting the Queen's warmth during an interview for Desert Island Discs, Nott said, "The humanity of what she was doing was unbelievable."

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/qu...s-family/94c68574-c32b-44cd-b416-1a4f5ea54ee8

That's a wonderful story about the Doctor. No doubt HM would have been briefed about the guest sitting next to her. So she may have had a little idea of what he had been through.

This is what I think makes the Queen such an iconic diplomat. She has a way about her that assesses a situation and sometimes just instinctively knows how to handle the situation.

As a devoted dog person, she knows that just petting and focusing on those furry little friends is a natural soothing experience. It worked wonderfully.

This is a link that works! I want to buy this book! And the author is right - children 13 years old today would have no comprehension of what the war generation went through.

Yes children born in the western world fortunately would have no idea of what the war generation went through. Sadly there are plenty of 13 year old children and younger who do know all too well what living in a war zone is like. UN sadly named the 2010s a deadly decade for children in war zones. We should be grateful the children in our lives know peace.

As the Dr Nott quotes below you clearly depict. Bombed schools and children's limbs were not an uncommon sight.

But its wonderful reading passages about the queen and her sister in those days. Knowing what life was like for them during the war, from a close friend. Its a different side then we sometimes get of her.

This is what I think makes the Queen such an iconic diplomat. She has a way about her that assesses a situation and sometimes just instinctively knows how to handle the situation.

As a devoted dog person, she knows that just petting and focusing on those furry little friends is a natural soothing experience. It worked wonderfully.

The magic of dogs. The queen knows that better than anyone.

There is a reason animals of all shapes and sizes are used as therapy animals. Not just dogs but cats and horses and so on. Sometimes when humans are in pain or struggling, it takes something soft and furry to ground them and give them something to focus on.

That's a wonderful story about the Doctor. No doubt HM would have been briefed about the guest sitting next to her. So she may have had a little idea of what he had been through.

Very likely...she seems to have an intuition about people, a natural empathy...

I also got emotional regarding the death of Willow, who was the last link to her parents. Her love and devotion to them is so touching...

:previous: All these recent stories and posts about the Queen are so heartwarming. :flowers::flowers:

Such a precious anecdote about HM and the little girl! HM does seem to be very thoughtful - I remember when she came to one of the towns near me as part of her Diamond Jubilee visit and she saw me waving at her, and had just stopped waving at the previous crowd but began waving again when she noticed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom