General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sad that all the planned commemorations have had to be cancelled, although obviously it can't be helped. There aren't that many war veterans still with us, and by the next big anniversary, in 5 years' time, there'll sadly be a lot fewer. There were going to be veterans' processions, and the usual May Day Bank Holiday's been moved to the 8th, which is a Friday. But it's lovely that the Queen and Prince Charles are doing this.

Wartime recipes have been published on line, so that people can have a go at making authentic wartime meals, but I'm a terrible cook!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen has had a conversation with the Aussie PM. Last week she spoke to the NZ PM, Jacinta Adern and Charles to the PM of St Lucia, Allen Chastenet. Now it is the ScoMo's turn to have a phone conversations with HM ... presumably this will turn up in the CC tomorrow.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coron...s/news-story/330ae593873ac536392a062e86bfb3e1

It seems she also commented on the one thing we kept going that the rest of the world stopped - horse racing. We ran our major Autumn Racing Carnival at Easter at Royal Randwick for instance. We are also about to start up the rugby league (not Mike Tindall's sport - he played rugby union) again on the 28th May, with the New Zealand team already in NSW preparing to train in the lead up to that restart date.

I wonder whether they also discussed the fact that Ms Adern was included in today's national cabinet meeting - as Australia and NZ start to think about opening our borders to each other.

Last edited:
The Queen's address on the 75th anniversary of VE Day.

She got it spot on, just as she always does. It always feels as if things aren't quite so bad as long as the Queen's there. Exactly the right words, at a very strange time.

"our streets are not empty, they are filled with the love & the care that we have for each other............I say with pride that we are still a nation that those brave soldiers, sailors & airmen would recognise & admire".

I think Dame Vera Lynn/Katherine Jenkins will shoot to Number One thanks to Her Majesty's Address tonight.

I heard the Queens speech this morning on our ABC radio straight after the 6am news.

Since it's VE Day night here's a snippet of what the then princess Elizabeth got up to!

I think the first speaker is the splendidly named Baroness Trumpington but someone please let me know if I'm wrong.

It has Margaret Rhodes telling us the The Ritz was stuffy.:D

Last edited:
What a beautiful address! I am so inspired by her majesty grace and wisdom.

What a beautiful address! I am so inspired by her majesty grace and wisdom.

Agreed. I couldn’t have said it better.

She beautifully wove together WWII and its sacrifices with the virus.

The Queen never fails to deliver a message that actually unites the nation. She's been reigning for over 50 years and yet she's still got that uniting factor as seen in her 75th VE Day message (as well as her previous addresses to the nation during this year).

On a side note, does she have a speechwriter for her addresses to the nation or does she write those speeches herself?

HM was so moving, and with the photo of her beloved father next to her, it was even more poignant. She speaks so beautifully..

I didn’t even notice her hat until it was pointed out ..

As to the video of people singing “We’ll Meet Again”...I’m not ashamed to say I cried.

I don't think it's a good idea for her to be moving around at the moment. For one thing, there's the safety risk. Also, as things stand, none of us are meant to be going anywhere, especially into rural areas where things haven't been so bad - some spiteful remarks were made about Charles and Camilla going to Birkhall, and I'm sure the Queen's aware of that. It'll be a shame if she can't go, but everyone's summer holidays look like being cancelled :-( . And I certainly don't think she should be going back to Buckingham Palace: although the rate of infection's calmed down in London, it's still not good.

The Queen will remain at Windsor Castle indefinitely according to several media reports and that there could possibly be no summer holiday to Balmoral this year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...finitely-Buckingham-Palace-closed-summer.html

I mean, this makes sense above all. Currently, The Queen is a hugely vulnerable person and like all vulnerable people must remain in their home and basically have everything brought to them. She'd be popping back and forth between BP and Windsor for no reason considering everything she can do from home is being done.

As for travel to Balmoral, IF she can follow the strictest of guidelines in making sure she doesn't come into contact with anyone unknown to the royal circle, then if we're told this evening we can move between locations, I don't see why she couldn't go up to Balmoral.

There are far worse retreats than Windsor Castle ,it makes perfect sense as stated.

If, and its a big if, things have relaxed a little by July or August and HM could make it up to Balmoral, would they maybe use Craigowan Lodge rather than the big Castle itself? That would mean less staff and having to move less stuff and people from down South.

That said, I think HM loves the fact she can host the family and they can all relax together and I doubt they'd be able to keep up the usual comings and goings of so many people unless something hugely drastic changes anytime soon. HM is quite pragmatic IMO and I can see her being happy at Windsor knowing its better than some people are in and better to be safe.

HM is quite pragmatic IMO and I can see her being happy at Windsor knowing its better than some people are in and better to be safe.

And Windsor will be much quieter than usual in high summer. And the weather will probably be better than Balmoral.:lol:

With Charles near Balmoral and William near Sandringham it seems the Queen and her heirs have the major royal residences covered.

:previous: Good point. They're also in a good position to help do what is needed for the people such as William and Catherine using their staff to go help where needed. :D

I think she'll be staying at Windsor, especially as there are considerable tensions with the Scottish National Party over suggestions about people moving between England and Scotland - some nasty remarks were made about Charles and Camilla going to Birkhall. I'm not sure Prince Philip'd want to make the long journey anyway. At least they're getting plenty of time together at the moment.

I can see HM and Philip stay on at Windsor for some time, and give Balmoral a miss for this year. Irrespective of government guidelines not to move between homes, in the event of a medical emergency, at Windsor, they are in close proxmity of some major hospitals and health professionals, unlike Balmoral which is quite remote.

I love HM’s determined attitude, and the way every Royal is stepping up to the plate. The BRF is acting as a real team, and it’s wonderful to see!

Senior aides have created a programme dubbed the Royal Task Force aimed at extending The Firm’s public presence.

Prince Edward, 56, and wife Sophie, 55, will take on more duties while the Queen self-isolates.

Royal sources have confirmed that the monarch is “more determined than ever to return when the time is right”.

But in the meantime she is said to be in constant contact with Prince Charles and Prince William.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-ne...r.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom