General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes me happy. I know someone disagreed with me earlier on this, but of course HM and Philip need each other; recent days are bad enough, but I’m so glad they can be together.

NEW: Prince Philip has just been helicoptered from Wood Farm in Sandringham to Windsor to be with the Queen for Easter.
He had always planned to be with her and was moved to Windsor a week earlier to match the Queen’s revised schedule ?
She arrived there this afternoon

In their age, every day together is a gift from God.

An Easter address would be nice, but I would be concerned about putting so many people in close contact with HM. Perhaps they could do it YouTube style. Maybe Prince Andrew could film it. He has been pretty isolated so he should be safe.

The Queen and Prime Minister have always had telephone calls when one or other is unable to be in London for the "official audience", for practical reasons these audiences only take place during Parliamentary sittings as other times are usually 'holiday times' when HM and/or PM Are out of London, that does not mean that the two don't stay in touch during these holiday times - HM is always on duty and likewise the PM, sometimes situations demand there are pressing issues outside of the Parliamentary timetable.

I think there is a difference now in that they are trying to show two things:
a) HM and PM are in contact as usual
b) That both are following the government advice (And subtly encouraging everyone else to do the same)

An Easter address would be nice, but I would be concerned about putting so many people in close contact with HM. Perhaps they could do it YouTube style. Maybe Prince Andrew could film it. He has been pretty isolated so he should be safe.

I agree TLLK. An Easter address on YouTube would be lovely and I'm sure it would uplift a lot of people right now.

I agree TLLK. An Easter address on YouTube would be lovely and I'm sure it would uplift a lot of people right now.

An Easter address combined with music, readings by other family members and lead by the Bishop of Canterbury would be uniting and uplifting perhaps. Easter is a special, religious time. Signs of survival, new beginnings and hope are topical.
Seeing well known trusted people still here and helping those who are mourning a loss could really spread positivity and hope.

Sounds like a nice idea but leaves no room for a 2m safety barrier between members unless they did it via conference calls which could be instructive, joyful and even a bit of a hoot.

It could be rather basic but I'm sure someone in the family has a good camera and a tripod that HM could film her speech on instead, so there wouldn't be a need for a camera crew. Then the video could be uploaded straight onto YouTube and other streaming/social media services.

The problem with that is that the only family at Windsor are the Queen and Philip. The rest are at their own homes and with the level of restrictions in the UK aren't allowed to visit - or are you suggesting that The Head of State defies the rules that apply to everyone else?

Honestly this is shameful. Most (all?) reigning European monarch managed to do an address and QEII has not. Honestly. This should be part of her job description. King Harald did his and tbh his health does not look good. Maybe it is time for her to abdicate.

Also I do not believe for 1 sec that they sent all their staff home. Nor that she does not have a large enough room to respect the social distance requirement for 1 camera to set shop if she wanted something more professional. After all, how did the others monarchies did it?

:previous:

Well, the Queen is always a little bit late - Probably to not enforce her feelings onto the actions of the politicians.

One should not forget, that she has to be strictly apolitical.

Honestly this is shameful. Most (all?) reigning European monarch managed to do an address and QEII has not. Honestly. This should be part of her job description. King Harald did his and tbh his health does not look good. Maybe it is time for her to abdicate.

Also I do not believe for 1 sec that they sent all their staff home. Nor that she does not have a large enough room to respect the social distance requirement for 1 camera to set shop if she wanted something more professional. After all, how did the others monarchies did it?

Until Boris asks/tells her to speak she can't.

In the UK the person with the fewest rights is The Queen - she can't say what she wants, go where she wants, meet/or refuse to meet whom she wants.

She issued a statement on the 19th March, with the approval of the government.

At some point the PM will ask her to say what he wants her to say and she will say it.

The other monarchs also did their speeches before their countries went into lockdown.

Why every one seems to want all the royals in each country to do the same thing always amazes me ... their differences is what makes them interesting. They also have different powers and roles within their countries and that has to be understood.

Most Brits I know want her to come out alive at the end of this and really couldn't care less about her saying what Boris tells her to say to them - he may as well say it himself.

Last edited:

Yep. I doubt she and Philip are making their own beds, cooking their own meals and cleaning their own castle. Nor that they are left there without protection.
Yes, they are isolated but they're not alone with just each other.

I like the idea of an Easter speech, maybe on Maundy Thursday when the Maundy money service would normally take place.

Does anybody actually know how many times the Queen has actually addressed the nation?

Other than her Christmas message - twice - in 1997 and 2002 and both times was on the recommendation of the then PM, Tony Blair. No other PM has ever asked her to do so or approved her doing so.

She releases statements but doesn't address the nation in person.

She has released a statement and lit up Windsor Castle in support of the NHS. That is her way. She believes in subtle support.

Last edited:
Does anybody actually know how many times the Queen has actually addressed the nation?

Other than her Christmas message - precisely once - in 1997 and that was at the recommendation of Tony Blair.

She releases statements but doesn't address the nation in person.

She has released a statement and lit up Windsor Castle in support of the NHS. That is her way.

She also addressed the nation via television after the death of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

I would imagine that with Iluvbertie listing 1997 and 2002 as years the Queen made more than just her Christmas speech, the 2002 address was at the time of the Queen Mother's passing. The other one, in 1997, was at the time of Diana's death.

She addressed the nation and the Commonwealth during the Gulf War, after Diana's death, after the Queen Mother's death, and at the time of her Diamond Jubilee, so this is only the 5th time, other than the Christmas speeches.

Only one cameraperson was allowed in, and they were wearing a mask and gloves. It was filmed in the large White Drawing Room, so there was plenty of space between them and the Queen. 80 years ago, she made her first broadcast, during the war, also from Windsor.

Last edited:
That was a lump in the throat speech, the echoes of Dame Vera Lynn with "We will meet again" were just wonderful.

The Queens Address the UK and Commonwealth on Palm Sunday 2020

That was a lump in the throat speech, the echoes of Dame Vera Lynn with "We will meet again" were just wonderful.

I teared up at the end; that was so powerful. The Queen has such a beautiful, reassuring voice - and her words were comforting, even though I’m an American. I think she spoke for and to everyone around the world. I love HM.

I hate to ask, but who is Dame Vera Lynn and what was she referring to when she said “We will meet again”? Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom