General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He may go to his grandson's wedding in a wheelchair.

Articles from the BBC and Telegraph:

Duke of Edinburgh admitted to hospital for hip surgery - BBC News
The Duke of Edinburgh has been admitted to hospital in central London for planned surgery on his hip, Buckingham Palace has said.

The surgery will take place on Wednesday at the King Edward VII Hospital in Marylebone.
By James Gallagher, BBC health and science correspondent

Surgery at any stage of life carries risks.

But patients are not ruled out of surgery based on their age alone.

For patients like Prince Philip, overall fitness is a bigger factor than how old they are.

This will be a decision between patient and surgeon assessing the benefits and the risks of the planned procedure.

In general, frailty increases with age and does increase the risks of major surgery.

We do not know what type of hip operation Prince Philip is having.

Most hip replacement operations in the UK take place on patients between the ages of 60 and 80.

However, such operations do take place even later in life.

Duke of Edinburgh admitted to hospital for planned surgery - Telegraph
Peter Kay, professor of orthopedics at Manchester University and a council member of the Royal College of Surgeons, said the most common reason older patients were admitted for planned hip surgery was for a hip replacement, usually due to osteoarthritis or a fracture.

He said between one and two percent of hip replacements were performed on people in their 90s and that the mortality rate had halved in the last few years to just 0.25 per cent.

"It is a relatively safe procedure," he told The Telegraph.

"You have to make sure the patient is fit and well but generally speaking, you will be in hospital around five days and spend six to eight weeks using crutches before walking independently and carrying on with normal life."

--------------------

I hope nothing bad happens!
Didn't the late Queen Mother also have a hip operation at the age of 95?

Actually, I just looked it up and the Queen Mum had a hip replacement surgery done in 1998 at the age of 97. It was successful. :D

Queen Visits Her Mother, 97, Who Had A Hip Replacement - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

More about it:

Majesty/Joe Little @MajestyMagazine
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother had both hips replaced, the second one at the age of 97 after a fall at Sandringham.

From the Telegraph article above:
The Queen Mother underwent a hip replacement on her right hip at the same hospital in 1995, at the age of 95, and another, on her left hip, aged 97, in 1998.

Look at it this way, his overall health must be pretty good or they would not risk putting him under for a major surgery like this.

LaRae

Oh my goodness...thoughts and prayers for the DoE and speedy recovery. It is worrisome.

Praying for a successful surgery and that his recovery is as speedy & painless as possible.

Surprised when I saw the news on my way home this evening. Hoping he has a good surgery and recovery as well.

Tells us he is in relatively good health at least. They wouldn't put a 97 year old man through anesthetic and hip surgery if his health wasn't stable. There is always risk with anesthetic at an advanced age, and they wouldn't put him through non emergent surgery unless in good health.

Hopefully he will be in good spirits for the wedding, even if he perhaps needs help (cane/wheel chair) for it. He wouldn't miss it.

Hopefully he will be in good spirits for the wedding, even if he perhaps needs help (cane/wheel chair) for it. He wouldn't miss it.

Philip is too active and too stubborn of a man to let something like this keep him down. He's going to be rarin' to go and in good form in time for the wedding come hell or high water. He's got that kind of spunk and determination to make it so. :D

Philip is too active and too stubborn of a man to let something like this keep him down. He's going to be rarin' to go and in good form in time for the wedding come hell or high water. He's got that kind of spunk and determination to make it so. :D

No doubt. :D If he was still in hospital, if he had to commandeer an ambulance and some men to carry his chair up the stairs into the chapel, I am sure he would. Think nothing less then being hooked up to machines would keep him from his grandson's wedding ;)

Prince Philip and Her Majesty are in my thoughts and prayers. I wouldn't be surprised if HM was more concerned about the surgery than Philip, poor dear. Wishing Philip a smooth operation and recovery.

It's interesting to read how many people think Philip is going to be 'stubborn' about attending the wedding. :ermm: Wishful thinking. At least I don't wish that kind of bull-headedness from him at this stage of life while recovering from major surgery at his age. Let the man be, I say. He's retired for a reason.

Having a seriously ailing relative at a wedding with the possibility of complications ensuing because of their attendance would not be anything I'd want on my conscience. :huh: The bride and groom can visit him, or he can be present at the reception in privacy. He doesn't need to be at the church in front of cameras to prove anything. JMO.

Depending on the person hip surgery recovery can go pretty quickly. They get you up and walking the day of surgery or day after. P.T. usually runs a couple months if needed...I can't imagine Phillip not being at the wedding. He's a tough old guy and in good physical condition. That can help his recovery time.

LaRae

Depending on the person hip surgery recovery can go pretty quickly. They get you up and walking the day of surgery or day after. P.T. usually runs a couple months if needed...I can't imagine Phillip not being at the wedding. He's a tough old guy and in good physical condition. That can help his recovery time. LaRae

All true, of course, but there are risks at his advanced age. :flowers: I guess I react to when posters ascribe motivations and posit actions that must come to be as is being done in this instance. Seems tricky to do that and more like projection than reality. :sad:

He may well think like what is being suggested but I'd never make such stuff a 'requirement' for someone that old. I already have issues with royalty being a sort of gilded servitude, so....;) ? Let him be, I say, and be happy for him if he can rest and watch from wherever he wants without judgement or expectation. Whatever works for him (not his fans). JMO.

It's interesting to read how many people think Philip is going to be 'stubborn' about attending the wedding. :ermm: Wishful thinking. At least I don't wish that kind of bull-headedness from him at this stage of life while recovering from major surgery at his age. Let the man be, I say. He's retired for a reason.

Having a seriously ailing relative at a wedding with the possibility of complications ensuing because of their attendance would not be anything I'd want on my conscience. :huh: The bride and groom can visit him, or he can be present at the reception in privacy. He doesn't need to be at the church in front of cameras to prove anything. JMO.

Seriously ailing :ermm: Did I miss something??? I wasn't aware he was ill :ohmy:

Yes he is undergoing surgery, and at his age, that is never simple. But by no ways is he 'seriously ailing' as you suggest. We aren't suggesting a man hooked up to oxygen be wheeled out in a bed to the ceremony, risking pneumonia or something. Yes, he may be on a cane or a wheelchair, because his leg may not have healed by then. Certainly he wouldn't be the first grandfather to be in a wheelchair at a wedding.

Just like I assume Philippe de Lannoy would have regretted not being at his daughter's wedding, even if he could not walk her down the aisle and his son had to, I am sure Philip would not wish to miss this due to having to have help.

Its not about proving anything. Its about a man who is still very active, who takes pride in still carriage driving and other activities, being there for the wedding of his grandson. He didn't retire because he was too sick to leave home, he retired so he could enjoy the last years of his life, and pick and choose what events he attended.

The queen mother had the same operation at the same age, and remained active after. No reason to think Philip will suddenly become a recluse and bed ridden, unless god forbid something horrible happens.

No doubt. :D If he was still in hospital, if he had to commandeer an ambulance and some men to carry his chair up the stairs into the chapel, I am sure he would. Think nothing less then being hooked up to machines would keep him from his grandson's wedding ;)

I agree and have no doubt that if Philip wants to be there he will. Countess, your scenario had me chuckling, I can totally envision it happening. I think we all know that Philip is quite capable of enforcing his will. ?

The queen mother had the same operation at the same age, and remained active after. No reason to think Philip will suddenly become a recluse and bed ridden, unless god forbid something horrible happens.

Agree, and it's worth noting that in the 20 years since the Queen Mother had hip replacement, the surgery has changed a lot, making it (and the recovery) easier.

Is he already in the operating room?

I would imagine that if the surgery was scheduled for Wednesday, he's probably already out of surgery and the recovery room and back in his room. I don't expect that the progress of his recovery is going to be made public. We'll probably hear something when he leaves the hospital.

Buckingham Palace statement: “The Duke of Edinburgh has undergone a successful hip replacement operation. He is progressing satisfactorily at this early stage. His Royal Highness is likely to remain in hospital for several days. He is comfortable and in good spirits.”

Via Chris Ship Twitter

Thanks Rudolph. Glad I was proven wrong on the announcement. :D

Its encouraging to hear that all went well and what remains now is the recovery. He's in good spirits and its those good spirits that work for Philip. Can't keep a good man down for very long.

Thank you Jesus! I hope Prince Philip continue to have a good recovery and be back on his feet very soon. Although it’s going to take some time for him to do that after a full hip replacement surgery.

Last edited:
Happy news may come while he is still in hospital.

Great news! May he have a full and fast recovery!

Articles from the BBC and Sky News:

Duke of Edinburgh recovering after hip replacement operation - BBC News
By BBC royal correspondent Jonny Dymond:

When he first met the then-Princess Elizabeth, he is said to have showed off by leaping over the tennis court nets at Dartmouth Naval College.

His spin bowling was so good that the Australian cricketing legend Sir Don Bradman said he should play for England.

In the 1960s he was one of the top four polo players in Britain. When he gave up polo, he took up carriage driving.

And all the while he encouraged others to lead a sporting and active life, as president of the National Playing Fields Association, a patron of Outward Bound and through the establishment of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme.

Much of that activity has come to an end as age has taken its toll. The duke is 96. But in early March he was seen carriage driving at Windsor.

Incapacity will be a torment to a man so used to activity. His doctors will want him up and about as soon as possible after the operation, to kick-start the healing process. They will find it difficult to restrain him.

Duke of Edinburgh 'comfortable' after successful hip replacement operation - Sky News
A hip replacement is major surgery so is usually only recommended if other treatments, such as physiotherapy or steroid injections have not helped alleviate pain or improve mobility.

It is carried out under a general anaesthetic or an epidural, with the surgeon making an incision into the hip, removing the damaged joint and replacing it with an artificial joint made of a metal alloy or ceramic.

Patients have to be well enough to cope with a major operation which lasts between 60 and 90 minutes, and the rehabilitation afterwards.

Rehabilitation can be demanding and requires commitment, with patients having to walk with crutches for the first four to six weeks after the operation.

Exercise programmes are often issues to help patients regain and then improve the use of the new hip.

Most people are back to normal within two to three months but it can take up to a year before patients experience the full benefits of the new hip.

The television coverage:

Sky News has followed it throughout the day, with their Royal Correspondent Rhiannon Mills outside King Edward VII's Hospital. - They also had Roya Nikkhah (the Royal Correspondent for The Sunday Times) in the Studio to talk about it.

BBC News Channel (which I unfortunately don't have access to here in Norway) has also followed it throughout the day, with one (or two) of their four Royal Correspondents outside the hospital.

Last edited:
So glad the surgery was a success. I know he has a long road for recovery.

Well that is wonderful news that the surgery was a success! And I don't think the doctors will have any problem getting him to work on his rehabilitation. If anything they'll have to slow him down a bit!

I'm glad to hear that Philip's surgery was successful and I wish him well in his recovery.

Wonderful news...I wish him a speedy recovery.

Articles from the BBC and Sky News:... Royal Correspondents outside the hospital.
Re: walking on crutches for weeks:

Of course, it differs with age, but here in the US everyone I have known lately with hip replacement is walking the day after the surgery. And usually with a walker, which is far more stable and safe than crutches. And usually for only a few days with the walker. Granted, he is 96, but they really do emphasize movement in recovery.

A lot will depend on his strength and balance, but were he here in the US, they would have him mobile ASAP.

Happy to hear Philip has come through surgery fine. Here is hoping him a good recovery and a return home in a few days :flowers:

Godiva Chocolates and flowers (beautiful) for Prince Philip

Prince Philip receives chocolates and flowers after hip operation* | Daily Mail Online

https://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2018040547550/prince-philip-receives-flowers-hospital//

One of the world's leading Hip surgeon Sarah Muirhead-Allwood was seen leaving King Edward VII Hospital today as Prince Philip spent his fifth day in hospital

Duke of Edinburgh spends his fifth day in hospital recovering | Daily Mail Online

Queen Elizabeth as a doll at Art Dolls Expo in Amsterdam, Netherlands. The other royal doll is Princess Amalia

https://www.rexfeatures.com/set/9628964

The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery give a 41 Gun Royal Salute in Hyde Park to mark Queen Elizabeth's 92nd birthday today

https://www.gettyimages.com/search/events/775156235?assettype=image

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefee...izabeth_ii_92nd_birthday_celebrations,_london

Prince Charles wish her mother

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh08fU_g30y/?taken-by=clarencehouse

Article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-central-London-party-Royal-Albert-Hall.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom