General News for Queen Elizabeth II: April 2021 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
UK_zps6c589394.png

Arms of HM The Queen of the United Kingdom

Welcome to Queen Elizabeth II's
General News Thread

Commencing April 2021

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited:
General News for Queen Elizabeth II: April 2021 - present

The Dutch media report that the full script for the queen's death and subsequent actions (Operation London Bridge) has been leaked to Politico.

It includes among many other details:
- a speech by the new king and a 'spontaneous' church service in St Paul's on the first day at 18h.
- laying in state at Buckingham Palace from day 2 for 3 days (23 hours a day open for the public)
- a tour by the new king to Scotland (day 3), Northern Ireland (day 4) and Wales (day 7)
- and various measures regarding the use of website and social media by the BRF and government.

Although I know this has not been set up recently, it makes me feel uncomfortable to read it.

Although I know this has not been set up recently, it makes me feel uncomfortable to read it.

I think I'd be uncomfortable with reading it too if I didn't know that every single thing that is in Operation London Bridge has been made known to and approved by HM, The Queen.

The monarchy is always prepared for anything down to the smallest of details. ?

Yes of course, and I try to realize it with the knowledge that it HAS to be planned from alpha to omega, since it will be HUGE.

But. You know ;)

I know it does seem weird to even think about the Queen not being there with her smile lighting up a room. She's been a fixture and represented everything I've ever thought a Queen was like for my entire life and I'm fast approaching 70. She ascended the throne a month after I was born.

The idea of her not being present anymore is completely surreal.

Yes of course, and I try to realize it with the knowledge that it HAS to be planned from alpha to omega, since it will be HUGE.

But. You know ;)

It has to be planned and everyone knows that, but it has not to be published. The Press should not write about this but this is the british Press which hasn't Respect from anything.

It has to be planned and everyone knows that, but it has not to be published. The Press should not write about this but this is the british Press which hasn't Respect from anything.

It's not totally news, I think a lot of details have emerged ealier. I think it got an update after Covid and everything.

Politico is NOT the British press. It's the European division of an American media organisation. The British press have been very critical of the lack of respect shown by the leaking of the documents. And please don't generalise about "the British press" as if it were all one amorphous mass - it isn't.

I'm sure we're all well aware that there are detailed plans for the funerals of all senior Royals, but it's very unpleasant to have them actually published - how would the journalists concerned feel about people discussing their funerals. At one time, talking about the death of the monarch could get you locked up in the Tower of London - shame it doesn't any more!

A lot of noise over nothing in that article...

What was the news ? That the PM and the cabinet will attend a service at St Pauls that is to appear spontaneous for us who will be at work or in school ?

The rest is publicly known since several years... It will be a day just like any day until BP sends out the press statement, and no one who works or is in school will have any time to count the minutes until the government has lowered their flags.... Totally unnessecary article from politico there

I didn't know about the tour of the new King. What a horrible thing to have to do when your mother has just died.

I agree. I think a more appropriate time for a tour of the nations of Great Britain would be *after* the coronation. Let Charles mourn his mother's death in peace and quiet. Business as usual and I imagine there'll be a *lot* of business to take care of but no tours. JMO of course.

You do realise that the funeral and tour etc are done with discussions with HM QEII and Prince Charles? It is clear that everything are the wishes of HM. Perhaps QEII wants her life to be celebrated rather than traditional mourning. Charles will not be a young King too so it seems she want "business as usual" when she does die. And that is very much like her.

I agree. I think a more appropriate time for a tour of the nations of Great Britain would be *after* the coronation. Let Charles mourn his mother's death in peace and quiet. Business as usual and I imagine there'll be a *lot* of business to take care of but no tours. JMO of course.
The Coronation could take place up to 18 months into the new reign. There were sixteen months between The Queen's Accession and her Coronation. I don't think the new King will wait that long to visit his Kingdoms.

Of course, there will probably be a Coronation tour as well, possibly including as many of the Commonwealth countries as practicable. Of course, the new King could be quite elderly himself by then, and may deputize his heir to do the overseas visits.

Last edited:
The Coronation could take place up to 18 months into the new reign. There were sixteen months between The Queen's Accession and her Coronation. I don't think the new King will wait that long to visit his Kingdoms.

But that means there is enough time to let some time pass after the funeral and then have the Tour before the coronation.

In medieval and Tudor times, the tour of the kingdom was necessary so that people could see the new monarch and he/she could establish their authority over areas a long way from the capital. I suppose it's a throwback to that ... although not really necessary in the same way in the age of TV.

Queen Mary left instructions that none of the Coronation festivities were to be cancelled if she died beforehand ... which, as it turned out, she did. The days of everyone wearing black for a year and all engagements being cancelled for months are gone.

Last edited:
I didn't know about the tour of the new King. What a horrible thing to have to do when your mother has just died.
You do realise that the funeral and tour etc are done with discussions with HM QEII and Prince Charles? It is clear that everything are the wishes of HM. Perhaps QEII wants her life to be celebrated rather than traditional mourning. Charles will not be a young King too so it seems she want "business as usual" when she does die. And that is very much like her.
I think you nailed it SLV and when you think that the plans are drawn up by a government department, approved by BP and then successive PM's, it all seems so cold but, believe me, an unplanned funeral is painful for all concerned and for Charles and the government to know beforehand what is expected of them is essential.
However, the plans we see leaked may or may not be true and the actual plans themselves are a work in progress.. For instance, Charles grief for his father's death was displayed in the same way as his
mother did.

Both retreated for a day of personal mourning and in less than a week both were back doing their engagements. This actually may be a result of Prince Philip's longevity which would have been cause for celebration rather than intense grief, and so it will be when HM dies.

But that means there is enough time to let some time pass after the funeral and then have the Tour before the coronation.

I agree... Though i can see the point in visiting the parliaments in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland soon after accession to aknowledge them as a part of the Kingdom as much as England, and not under the control of a Governor General, its not like Charles haven’t been there before and needs to be introduced...

It would have made more sense to me to wait with visits of
any kind until after his mother is buried... But that’s just my point of view...

If I'm not mistaken, the mention of the tours did not include the times of when it would occur only that it would be something the new king would be doing after the present queen passes away.

Reconsidering things, perhaps a tour of the countries of the UK in the interim between the funeral and the coronation may be a good thing to do. It kind of fits in with the continuity of the monarchy as we've seen said quite often "The king is dead. Long live the king!". I'm sure it's not to be planned and executed during the time immediately following QEII's death. They probably have the timeline figured out to cover things from the moment the Queen passes until the minute Charles is crowned king.

The Queen took care of Pipe Major Scott Methven (Piper to the Sovereign 2015-2019) when his wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer. The Queen send care packages to the hospital and allowed his children (aged 5 and 12 at the time) to stay at Balmoral.

The Queen took care of my children when cancer struck my wife, reveals royal piper
Pipe Major who played for Her Majesty every morning tells how Royal family came to his family’s aid during a time of crisis
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...hobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1631547163-1

Archived link: https://archive.md/YKenz

What a really lovely gesture on behalf of the queen :previous:

The Queen took care of Pipe Major Scott Methven (Piper to the Sovereign 2015-2019) when his wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer. The Queen send care packages to the hospital and allowed his children (aged 5 and 12 at the time) to stay at Balmoral.

The Queen took care of my children when cancer struck my wife, reveals royal piper
Pipe Major who played for Her Majesty every morning tells how Royal family came to his family’s aid during a time of crisis
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...hobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1631547163-1

Archived link: https://archive.md/YKenz

That is a great story!

Em51oA61TY+ZXuGv5BA3ew.jpg

The Queen returned to a grey and blustery Windsor today

Is it just me, or are people around HM getting a little loose-lipped with the press?

The last few days have seen some rather indiscreet revelations. First, HM's comment about world leaders saying a lot and doing nothing about global warming, then, a particularly personal item about how HM's doctor advised her to give up her martinis.

I don't like it one bit.

:previous: Absolutely agree. However, with no Andrew visible they have to get some "Royal" news so I guess HM is all they have left. Then again, there is really no evidence that the doctor said a damned thing about HM, it would be a breach of HIPAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom