Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award Experiences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalProtocol

Courtier , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
Belfast
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I received an invitation from The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh to have my Gold Award presented.

the Invitation read:

The Equerry-in-waiting to The Duke of Edinburgh
is desired by His Royal Highness to invite
to attend the presentation of Awards
to Young People who have gained The Duke of Edinburgh's Gold Award
at St James's Palace
on Wednesday 5th December 2007

How exciting, Mummy has her hat and gloves ready and is practising her curtseys.​

Please share your experiences of these presentations>

I'll post photographs of the presentation when we go!​

Last edited:
i received my invitation for the same presentation yesterday as well it was quite exciting to get it

the dress code for the presentaion was on the invitation it read
Gentlemen: lounge suit, jacket and trousers and uniform
Ladies: afternoon dress, suit (trouser or skirt) or uniform

i received my invitation for the same presentation yesterday as well it was quite exciting to get it

the dress code for the presentaion was on the invitation it read
Gentlemen: lounge suit, jacket and trousers and uniform
Ladies: afternoon dress, suit (trouser or skirt) or uniform

What are you going to wear?

I'm wearing my lounge suit and the Gold Award holders tie.

Mummy has her hat and gloves ready and is practising her curtseys.
That's all well and good for mum, but does this mean your curtseys don't need practising?

Congratulations to you and PrincessofEurope for your Gold Awards. :flowers:

That's all well and good for mum, but does this mean your curtseys don't need practising?

Congratulations to you and PrincessofEurope for your Gold Awards. :flowers:

One would hope not, I shall bow, I do believe that would be the proper thing for men to do, unless women have started attending Royal events in loung suits:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for your congratulations, were both really looking forward to the event, we both done the Award together through my Boys' Brigade

Congratulations RoyalProtocol and PrincessofEurope ! :flowers:
It must be exiting to receive this invitiation, hope you will share your experiences after the award ceremony. :)

Congratulations RoyalProtocol and PrincessofEurope ! :flowers:
It must be exiting to receive this invitiation, hope you will share your experiences after the award ceremony. :)

Thanks we'll let you know all about it and will post our photographs as well.

Congratulations Royal Protocal on your finishing your gold level, my daughter is almost finished her bronze level and is very keen to continue, any words of advice?

Congratulations Royal Protocal on your finishing your gold level, my daughter is almost finished her bronze level and is very keen to continue, any words of advice?

Thank you and Yes my advice would be, even when your up a mountain, tired, wet and freezing keep at it, getting the invitation really is worth it and it speaks a lot on CVs and University applications, also remember to get the record book signed up at the time or its a real chore later and you can't be bothered.

I hope your daughter enjoys the award as much as I have, tell her good luck and stick at it.

I enjoyed the award so much I am now involved in running it in my Church/BB and have got to attend lots of fun occasions, I had tea with the Duke of Abercorn who is the Lord Stewart of HMs household, attended afternoon tea at Hillsborough Castle and went to a thanksgiving service in St. Anne's Cathedral, Belfast for the 50th Anniversary.

The Award is great and I would encourage all young people to take part, an A* experience

I got mine from Nelson Mandela and Prince Edward, but the Duke of Edinburgh signature is on the certificate.

Well I've been to the Palace and I must say it was well worth it. The band of the Household Division played Christmas Music and there was a beautiful Christmas Tree.

The State Apartments were lovely, and we got to see out onto the balcony where they announce the Accession.

HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was really nice and put everyone at ease, he spoke to our group for about 7mins. He is quite small but has a good posture and a wonderful accent.

Our celebrity guest who was assigned to talk with our group was Alistar Stewart from ITN News, he was excellent and very pleasent.

An excellent experience A***

Well I've been to the Palace and I must say it was well worth it. The band of the Household Division played Christmas Music and there was a beautiful Christmas Tree.

The State Apartments were lovely, and we got to see out onto the balcony where they announce the Accession.

HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was really nice and put everyone at ease, he spoke to our group for about 7mins. He is quite small but has a good posture and a wonderful accent.

Our celebrity guest who was assigned to talk with our group was Alistar Stewart from ITN News, he was excellent and very pleasent.

An excellent experience A***

Thank you for sharing and describing your experience. A lifetime memory for you indeed.

So did you and PrincessofEurope manage to find each other in the crowd? And where are these photos we were promised?

the day was indeed lovely and St James's palace is very beautiful especially as it was all decorated for christmas inside. my only problem was that the Northern Irelane and Welsh groups did not get to see as many state rooms as the English groups because of the position of our room in the palace as we were forced by the officials to go out through the tapastry room.
the Duke of Edinburgh was very nice but he got railroaded into only talking to one "limelighter" and not to the rest of the group - the Queen would never have let this happen as she would have ignored the girl trying to answer everyone of his questions

other celebrities included Fern Britton, Linford Christie and Sian Williams of BBC Breakfast

...my only problem was that the Northern Irelane and Welsh groups did not get to see as many state rooms as the English groups...
Even so, you've seen more of the inside of St James's Palace than most of us! Congratulations again to you and RoyalProtocol. :flowers:

We did see each other, we were in the same group, The Girl hwo had to have all the attention drove everyone mad and I could have killed her when she spoke over the Duke of Edinburgh and answered questions directed at other parts of the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom