Death of Queen Elizabeth II - Lying-in-State, Edinburgh and London

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don’t expect to see any of the great-grandchildren on Monday. It’s a televised state funeral. I can’t imagine their parents putting them through the scrutiny. One look and it will be all over the papers and social media which is fine at the jubilee concerts but not a state funeral. The process is bad enough for the grown ups. I have my doubts about James, Viscount Severn I half him expect him to join them in Windsor.

I agree. I doubt that there will be any Royal great children at the State Funeral on Monday at Westminster Abbey.

Plans have probably already been made for them to say a private goodbye between now and HMQ's burial.

I made the same prediction when the DoE died and people here were predicting that the spouses of Beatrice, Eugenie or Zara Tindall would be bumped to make way for George and Charlotte. I knew that wouldn't happen and it didn't.

But we will have to wait and see I suppose.

I agree. I doubt that there will be any Royal great children at the State Funeral on Monday at Westminster Abbey.

Plans have probably already been made for them to say a private goodbye between now and HMQ's burial.

I made the same prediction when the DoE died and people here were predicting that the spouses of Beatrice, Eugenie or Zara Tindall would be bumped to make way for George and Charlotte. I knew that wouldn't happen and it didn't.

But we will have to wait and see I suppose.

The DoE's funeral is in no way comparable to the Queen's funeral and trying to draw a comparison is wholly unfair. The DoE's funeral was severely limited by Covid restrictions in place in 2021. The UK has moved on completely from any Covid restrictions a year and a half later - as witnessed by the packed cathedrals in Edinburgh on Monday and Belfast on Tuesday.

Additionally, St George's Chapel is much smaller than Westminster Abbey, so there is no reason to believe that any and all close family members, including great-grandchildren who are deemed old enough and want to attend will be there.

But, I'd be interested in a private wager on the matter, if you're willing to take me up on a bet. :flowers:

I cannot think of any State funeral in British Royal history where young children were present ...not Edward VII's massive ceremony, not Georges V or VI. At the DofE's small service Jack or Edo, relative newcomers to the family, could have been left off the list so George could be there. It did not happen.

But no...I am not interested in placing a bet because not only could you very well be correct.

I am also not invested enough to really care about being proven wrong.

Last edited:
They arrived at Buckingham Palace... Did you also notice the sign of respect of the policemen on motors when they arrived at the palace? Bowing their heads as the hearse passed by to enter the gates of Buckingham Palace.

Yes I noticed that and also the large crowds of people all waiting in the pouring rain for the coffin to pass.

A band seems to have been added to today's procession at relatively late notice. A few days ago, it was going to be a "silent procession", no sound but the horses' hooves, etc., as happened for Diana and for the first part of George VI's funeral. I wonder if it was added to drown out another situation like happened in Edinburgh.

This is going to be the most emotional time I think with the Queen leaving Buckingham Palace for the final time

Nice to see the Earl of Snowdon walking behind William. It's too bad The Duke of Kent and Prince Michael aren't in the procession.

I doubt if either would be able to make it. The Duke of Gloucester looks very unsteady and he has looked a lot healthier then either of them this year. I do hope they are at Westminster Hall but from what I have read there will be no Kent's there (I hope I am wrong and that the three Kent cousins are there to say their goodbye to their cousin).

Did anyone else see something dangling off the side of the cross on top of the Imperial State Crown for the first bit of the procession? I thought it was a zip tie or a piece of plastic wrap, which surely it couldn't have been, but then it fluttered away almost like a butterfly.

A band seems to have been added to today's procession at relatively late notice. A few days ago, it was going to be a "silent procession", no sound but the horses' hooves, etc., as happened for Diana and for the first part of George VI's funeral. I wonder if it was added to drown out another situation like happened in Edinburgh.

The crowd in London seems to be more "well-behaved" in that respect than in Edinburgh, I mean, no noticeable isolated protesters.

It is so sad to see that the only two males of the Royal family who actually risked their life in wars to defend their own country (Andrew, because the Falklands are part of the UK) or fought for the freedom of Afghanistan (Harry) are the ones without uniform in this sad march. So you have to know from their medals they were active soldiers in real wars- And how stupidly they lost their ranks of honour to be stripped of the right to their uniforms now.

Plus I hope that at the moment the coffin is empty and the queen's body is either kept very cold or embalmed (but AFAIK to really platizcse a dead body you need to keep it chilled for some time) in a quiet room before the funeral. I understand that many people want to see the coffin and that there is a tradition to honour the late queen that way, but still I think there are better ways to deal with the actual dead body. Just IMHO, of course.

Last edited:
It is so sad to see that the only two males of the Royal family who actually risked their life in wars to defend their own country (Andrew, because the Falklands are part of the UK) or fought for the freedom of Afghanistan (Harry) are the ones without uniform in this sad march. So you have to know from their medals they were active soldiers in real wars- And how stupidly they lost their ranks of honour to be stripped of the right to their uniforms now.
Harry was only stripped of his HONORARY ranks. And you know very well why Andrew isn't...

*Actually, according to a poster below, Harry resigned from the military, rather than retired, so he isn't eligible to wear a uniform for his actual rank when he resigned.

Last edited:

Plus I hope that at the moment the coffin is empty and the queen's body is either kept very cold or embalmed (but AFAIK to really platizcse a dead body you need to keep it chilled for some time) in a quiet room before the funeral. I understand that many people want to see the coffin and that there is a tradition to honour the late queen that way, but still I think there are better ways to deal with the actual dead body. Just IMHO, of course.
why would the coffin be empty? People are going to pay thier respects to the queen, they are not going to walk past an empty coffin.

Charles and harry and Andrew and P Philip have all served in the miltiary. why should they not wear their uniforms (Except Andrew)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke of Kent and Prince Michael are present, both in uniform.

OK, the Duke of Kent and Michael, right inside the doors.

Charles and harry and Andrew and P Philip have all served in the miltiary. why should they not wear their uniforms (Except Andrew)

Because they're trying to keep Andrew low key and show he's still in disgrace officially speaking. Harry because he lost his ceremonial ranks and is not entitled to wear his actual rank because he resigned rather than retired.

I Meant as a general thing, these men have served in the military (I forgot William) and in combat.. so they have a right IMO to wear their uniforms,

Because they're trying to keep Andrew low key and show he's still in disgrace officially speaking. Harry because he lost his ceremonial ranks and is not entitled to wear his actual rank because he resigned rather than retired.

What about Harry? Did he also resign his commission or did he retire?

Tim Laurence was involved in the naval actions during the Troubles and was 'mentioned in despatches' (the same notation that Philip received for his role at Cape Matapan).

Most of their medals are for the same thing - attending the Jubilees. Both Andrew and Harry have one for their service in a war zone while the others re simply Jubilee Medals.

What about Harry? Did he also resign his commission or did he retire?

A couple posts above yours explains that Harry resigned rather than retired. So he's not entitled to wear a uniform. His medals, yes.

I didn't see the orb and scepter on top of the coffin along with the Imperial State crown; will they be placed on top of it before the public files in?

Only working members of the Royal Family wear uniforms on these occasions.

I think I caught sight of the Duchess of Kent, but the cameras were only on her for a second so it may have been someone else.

I didn't see the orb and scepter on top of the coffin along with the Imperial State crown; will they be placed on top of it before the public files in?

That seems to be what happened in 1952. Only the crown was on the coffin while it was being taken to Westminster Hall, then the orb and sceptre were there in the footage of the lying in state.

I think I caught sight of the Duchess of Kent, but the cameras were only on her for a second so it may have been someone else.

A very rare sight these days!

Back
Top Bottom