Death of Queen Elizabeth II - Lying-in-State, Edinburgh and London

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The coffin of her Late Majesty will be received at Buckingham Palace this evening by the ing, Queen Consort, all the Queen's children and grandchildren (inc spouses) and Earl Snowdon and Lady Sarah Chatto. It will be private.

The coffin of her Late Majesty will be received at Buckingham Palace this evening by the ing, Queen Consort, all the Queen's children and grandchildren (inc spouses) and Earl Snowdon and Lady Sarah Chatto. It will be private.

How lovely to see that the Earl of Snowdon and Lady Sarah Chatto are also included - and rightly so. The late queen truly counted them among 'her immediate family'. For the 'spouses' it will be their first moment with the late queen since her death.

Last edited:
They arrived at Buckingham Palace... Did you also notice the sign of respect of the policemen on motors when they arrived at the palace? Bowing their heads as the hearse passed by to enter the gates of Buckingham Palace.

I wonder whether they've also arranged a moment either this evening or tomorrow for the great-grandchildren to say their private farewells to their great-grandmother. There will be little opportunity to do so after the coffin is being moved to Westminster Hall.

I wondered about the great grandchildren. I guess it will be either now or / and at Windsor once the cameras are off after the service there on Mon 19th. I wouldn't be surprised if the great grandchildren have a moment then.

I just saw that Queen Margrethe of Denmark and the Crown Prince Couple will attend the State funeral on Monday.

I wondered about the great grandchildren. I guess it will be either now or / and at Windsor once the cameras are off after the service there on Mon 19th. I wouldn't be surprised if the great grandchildren have a moment then.

Perhaps the great-grandchildren will be at the Internment at Windsor on Monday as that is supposed to be private. Don't expect them to be at the Funeral Service in Westminster Abbey.

They arrived at Buckingham Palace... Did you also notice the sign of respect of the policemen on motors when they arrived at the palace? Bowing their heads as the hearse passed by to enter the gates of Buckingham Palace.

I wonder whether they've also arranged a moment either this evening or tomorrow for the great-grandchildren to say their private farewells to their great-grandmother. There will be little opportunity to do so after the coffin is being moved to Westminster Hall.

Yes I noticed the police on motorbikes bowing their heads outside the gates and found it incredible moving. So terribly poignant to see Her Majesty arrive back to the palace for the final time.

I hope the older great grandchildren get a chance to pay their respects in private. I’m sure if there is a memorial service at a future date they could attend as they did Prince Philip’s. However for now they should be as far away from the cameras as possible.

There is a public service at Windsor and then a private service of internment later on away from the cameras, I think they may decide to take the older great grandchildren to that if they decide to take them to anything.

I think it's a safe bet to assume we'll see Savannah & Isla Phillips, Mia Tindall, and George & Charlotte at the funeral service on Monday. They were all in attendance at Philip's service of remembrance. I'd bet they (and probably Louis and Lena Tindall) are all at BP tonight receiving the coffin, along with the children of both the Earl of Snowdon and Lady Sarah. The great-grandchildren who are 4 or younger won't be at any public events, but the other 5 will certainly attend if they and their parents wish.

I think it's a safe bet to assume we'll see Savannah & Isla Phillips, Mia Tindall, and George & Charlotte at the funeral service on Monday. They were all in attendance at Philip's service of remembrance. I'd bet they (and probably Louis and Lena Tindall) are all at BP tonight receiving the coffin, along with the children of both the Earl of Snowdon and Lady Sarah. The great-grandchildren who are 4 or younger won't be at any public events, but the other 5 will certainly attend if they and their parents wish.

I agree with this. I expect to see Savannah, Isla, George, Mia and Charlotte on Monday:ermm:

There was a wonderful effect of all the phone cameras of the general public filming the arrival of Her Majesty’s coffin at Buckingham Palace, of it coming across as a modern candlelight vigil in the dark.

Perhaps the great-grandchildren will be at the Internment at Windsor on Monday as that is supposed to be private. Don't expect them to be at the Funeral Service in Westminster Abbey.

Isn't it best for the younger children not to be present at the interment, which is usually too emotional for people of their age?

I remember that King Philippe's children for example went to Queen Fabiola's funeral mass, but were not present at the interment.

Last edited:
I'm glad that Lord Snowdon and Lady Sarah are there, and also that they've got some private time. I hope that Charles, Camilla, Anne and Tim are able to get some rest: they must all be exhausted.

A few posters have used the word “internment “ instead of “interment” for the burial. A very different meaning!

I don’t expect to see any of the great-grandchildren on Monday. It’s a televised state funeral. I can’t imagine their parents putting them through the scrutiny. One look and it will be all over the papers and social media which is fine at the jubilee concerts but not a state funeral. The process is bad enough for the grown ups. I have my doubts about James, Viscount Severn I half him expect him to join them in Windsor.

I don’t expect to see any of the great-grandchildren on Monday. It’s a televised state funeral. I can’t imagine their parents putting them through the scrutiny. One look and it will be all over the papers and social media which is fine at the jubilee concerts but not a state funeral. The process is bad enough for the grown ups. I have my doubts about James, Viscount Severn I half him expect him to join them in Windsor.

Why? He's almost 15 years old. He isn't a child.

Isn't it best for the younger children not to be present at the interment, which is usually too emotional for people of their age?

I remember that King Philippe's children for example went to Queen Fabiola's funeral mass, but were not present at the interment.

My brother and I were at my grandmother's funeral when we were 4 and 5. They left my sister (1) at home but I am glad we were allowed to join in with the rest of the family. I mostly recall walking from the church to the cemetry walking passed their house that was on the opposite side from the cemetry.

So, I don't think it is a problem for them to attend at Windsor.

My brother and I were at my grandmother's funeral when we were 4 and 5. They left my sister (1) at home but I am glad we were allowed to join in with the rest of the family. I mostly recall walking from the church to the cemetry walking passed their house that was on the opposite side from the cemetry.

So, I don't think it is a problem for them to attend at Windsor.

Please remember that this isn’t a normal funeral. There will be at least 2000 in the Abbey and St George’s holds 900. The world will be watching. It’s not like any funeral we have been to so not comparable.

People have very mixed views as to whether or not children should attend funerals, and this has the added issue of being a very public affair, in a big crowd. However, as the older children attended Prince Philip's memorial service, I'd expect them to attend the Queen's funeral as well.

Please remember that this isn’t a normal funeral. There will be at least 2000 in the Abbey and St George’s holds 900. The world will be watching. It’s not like any funeral we have been to so not comparable.

The point was about it being too emotional to watch an interment for young children.

If the children are present, it will be in the choir which is a pretty limited group of people.

I think the wider point was that this time while HM is at Buckingham Palace and the private service at Windsor after the public one are the most likely time the great grandchildren will be able to take part. We don't know exactly what will take place in the private service, they well do a short service in the choir of St George's or elsewhere then only those "old enough" attend the actual interment in the King George VI chapel. Who knows. I am usually a big believer in children attending funerals when they are ready as otherwise they are sheltered from life too much - but I wouldn't wish attending a funeral with 1000s of people and the world's media cameras on anyway never mind a child for whom it may be their first funeral, for that I think a more private element would be best.

I expect we will see James at his grandmother's funeral, just as we saw him at his grandfather's funeral.

At the end of the day it really will be up to parents to do what they think best and William of all people will know how attending a funeral at a young age in front of the world will feel.

Last edited:
The bringing of children to a funeral is a personal choice. However, it seems a recent thing that it was even questioned. Eugenie was at Diana’s funeral and she was seven years old and no one thought anything of it. She behaved herself impeccably, as did her sister and no one for one moment thought they wouldn’t.

I sometimes feel we widely, in our increased knowledge of child development, infantilise and underestimate children. My culture would say you must bring children to funerals so they understand where that person has gone. I myself was around dead bodies at 5 and thought nothing of it.

No one is saying bring Louis, but Charlotte’s age and above are perfectly capable of being there. Whether they are or not is the families business. Also why The older great grandchildren weren’t at the thanksgiving ceremony has always confused me.

The bringing of children to a funeral is a personal choice. However, it seems a recent thing that it was even questioned. Eugenie was at Diana’s funeral and she was seven years old and no one thought anything of it. She behaved herself impeccably, as did her sister and no one for one moment thought they wouldn’t.

I sometimes feel we widely, in our increased knowledge of child development, infantilise and underestimate children. My culture would say you must bring children to funerals so they understand where that person has gone. I myself was around dead bodies at 5 and thought nothing of it.

No one is saying bring Louis, but Charlotte’s age and above are perfectly capable of being there. Whether they are or not is the families business.

Exactly. Especially at that age, they just accept it as part of life. Like Louis said 'she is now with great-grandpapa'. It is typically much harder on the adults than on the children. So, as long as the adults deal with it in a reasonable way when talking it through with the children, they will be fine (whether that is in the public eye or not is up to the parents)

Also why The older great grandchildren weren’t at the thanksgiving ceremony has always confused me.
Which Thanksgiving ceremony were you thinking of? Savannah, Isla, George, Mia and Charlotte all attended the Memorial Service for the Duke of Edinburgh in March. Only those not yet of school-age did not attend.

Exactly. Especially at that age, they just accept it as part of life. Like Louis said 'she is now with great-grandpapa'. It is typically much harder on the adults than on the children. So, as long as the adults deal with it in a reasonable way when talking it through with the children, they will be fine (whether that is in the public eye or not is up to the parents)

Which Thanksgiving ceremony were you thinking of? Savannah, Isla, George, Mia and Charlotte all attended the Memorial Service for the Duke of Edinburgh in March. Only those not yet of school-age did not attend.

For the Queens jubilee. None of them went to service which was odd really.

Has anyone since the appearance for tomorrow of the procession.

All men to follow the procession except…James. And Anne

They then said: The Queen, Princess of Wales, Duchess of Sussex and Countess of Wessex would go in car.

But I would expect, Sarah, Zara, Louise, James, Beatrice and Eugenie also to be there. With spouses I guess.

They then said: The Queen, Princess of Wales, Duchess of Sussex and Countess of Wessex would go in car.

But I would expect, Sarah, Zara, Louise, James, Beatrice and Eugenie also to be there. With spouses I guess.

I also expect the other grandchildren to participate. I guess they aren't mentioned because they aren't 'senior royals'.

I noticed that the Duke of Gloucester will also walk - while the Duke of Kent does not. I am sure he would have done so if still physically capable. So, I expect him to also travel by car - indeed like the other members of the family.

So, the procession (on foot) will be: Children and male spouses, adult grandsons (they want to spare James what William and Harry themselves went through as teenagers), nephew and other royal dukes (if capable).

King Charles, William and Harry to accompany Queen's coffin to Parliament
The King will be joined by his sons Princes William and Harry in a procession accompanying the Queen’s coffin from Buckingham Palace to Parliament on Wednesday.

The procession will leave the palace just after lunchtime and will arrive at Westminster Hall, where the Queen will lie in state for four days.

The King will also be joined by his siblings Prince Andrew, the Princess Royal, and the Earl of Wessex.

Peter Phillips, vice admiral Sir Tim Laurence, the Duke of Gloucester and the Earl of Snowdon will also walk behind the coffin.

Camilla, the Queen Consort, the Princess of Wales, the Countess of Wessex and the Duchess of Sussex will travel to the hall by car.

A short service lasting around 20 minutes will be led by the Archbishop of Canterbury accompanied by the Dean of Westminster.
Source: BBC

Last edited:
Why? He's almost 15 years old. He isn't a child.

It's been apparent throughout James's life that he is more uncomfortable than others in his family (or is allowed to express it more so) in public and in front of crowds. Whether this will be true for the rest of his life remains to be seen. Certainly he will be at the funeral of his grandmother; however, the family has avoided situations where he is expected to play a public role and then needs to withdraw.

It's been apparent throughout James's life that he is more uncomfortable than others in his family (or is allowed to express it more so) in public and in front of crowds. Whether this will be true for the rest of his life remains to be seen. Certainly he will be at the funeral of his grandmother; however, the family has avoided situations where he is expected to play a public role and then needs to withdraw.

Not really. The family kept Louise mostly out of the public eye until she was about the same age James is now. The notable exception to that being William & Kate's wedding in 2011. I think that the Wessexes just really wanted to keep their kids out of the limelight. James was out and about with them this summer during the Commonwealth Games.

Close members of Her Majesty’s staff will also take part tomorrow, some walking and some by car, it’s now being reported.

Back
Top Bottom