Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, he's been in line for being Duke of Edinburgh, for many years, since his marriage. He wont get the title till Charles is king.. but for now he has both Earl of Forfar and E of Wessex...

It would be nice if the Queen made him D of E after the funeral, it seems a shame to make him wait what could be many years to receive it. Sophie and him would make a lovely Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh.

With respect to the grandchildren's spouses, both the Queen and the Duke were very religious and traditional. In Christian tradition, when two people marry, they become one. Many people consider the spouses of their children and grandchildren as part of their blood family. I think the list includes the Duke's immediate family and as many other members of the extended family as possible. I hope the Queen finds comfort in their presence.

I don’t know why anyone is surprised to see Edo or Jack included on the list. They are as much there to support their wives on a very difficult day as they are there as members of Philip’s immediate family.

It would be nice if the Queen made him D of E after the funeral, it seems a shame to make him wait what could be many years to receive it. Sophie and him would make a lovely Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh.

I agree that they'll make a lovely Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh when the time comes. And I truly think that Charles will be nothing short of thrilled to hand the title to his brother because I really believe that he thinks Edward deserves it and will make their father proud. That said, HM can't just give them the title. It has to merge with the Crown first and that can't happen until Charles becomes king.

She cant'. Charles has inherited Philips title as his edlest son. When he becomes King, the title will be merged with the Crown and Charles can then recreate it..

I actually thought everyone bar the Queen was going to walk behind the coffin.

In the 21st century I think it would be right for all his grandchildren walk behind - Anne is doing not why not Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise.

I really thought the eldest 4 great granchildren would have gone - they are not that young. George is a future king, this is his great grandfather and the longest consort in history.

Covid restricted a true send off

In the 21st century I think it would be right for all his grandchildren walk behind - Anne is doing not why not Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise.

Maybe the granddaughters have been given the choice and they just chose not to. Especially Zara and Eugenie have just delivered a baby.

The House of Windsor is also of German origin (the British branch of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha) as is also the royal House of Belgium. Philip belonged to the Greek branch of his house, which in turn descended from the Danish branch. It would be quite a stretch to call either one "German".

One may not call them German, as they reign in other lands outside Germany, but when a German dynasty reigns in Denmark or Greece and is for centuries intermarried almost exclusively with other German dynasties, what would you say about the ancestry of this person? Well, German one. And it's not a shame to acknowledge that. Out of Prince Philip's 128 nearest ancestors, only 3 didn't belong to a German dynasty.

To make a comparison, the Bourbons are of French origin, but the Spanish Bourbons or the Italian Bourbons are not normally considered French.

I agree. But one thing is to be "considered" and the other is what it really is. They can consider themselves everything they want, but that doesn't change the fact that they are of French origin who married only to other French or German dynasties. If I live for years in Nigeria I can consider myself Nigerian, but the fact is that I am not, no matter how much I like it.

One can easily say that King Felipe is Spanish as he is the King of Spain whose ancestors also reigned in Spain, but out of his 128 nearest ancestors there is not a trace of Spanish blood which would make him Spanish in real sense of word, just blood of the French dynasty who reigned in Spain and either married fellow Bourbons or Germans and Austrians...

What I wanted to say is that he can be Spanish as he is a Spanish citizen who reigns there, but saying that he is of Spanish ancestry just because his ancestors reigned there without a drop of Spanish blood is not reality.

Last edited:
As far as a noble person is considering the question , the origin of the house is important which in Philip's case is
Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg a german house which is roots to so many.
The house is German and though the british gov did everything to minimize the fact, again a noble person will not mind to show it's roots, it's positive though wars, prejudice and personal matters of not noble person might wish differently and deny the fact.

This is true and that is why Prince Philip had to change his "surname" before the wedding as Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg sounded very German, especially after WWII.

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands had the same problem when she married Prince Claus.

I think we are making too much of who is in or out. The number was limited to 30. If Peter Philips and Earl Snowden were still with their wives or if Meghan had been cleared to travel there might have been a different list. We could sit and work out a whole range of combinations, there had to be a cut.
We have no idea who is still close and who isn't.

We also don't know who had higher priority to be invited and have declined for various reasons. I think we should remember that the list of 30 we see may not have been the *top* 30 of the original list. What we see is the finished list of people that have accepted an invitation to attend.

I actually thought everyone bar the Queen was going to walk behind the coffin.

I really thought the eldest 4 great granchildren would have gone - they are not that young. George is a future king, this is his great grandfather and the longest consort in history.

Covid restricted a true send off

Yes, I think that had this funeral been held in normal times, we would have seen some of the great-grandchildren there. Perhaps, as others have suggested, there will be a memorial service at a later date when we will see a full turnout.

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands had the same problem when she married Prince Claus.

But he remained von Amsberg until the marriage and this is also when he got the dutch citizenship.

In a strange way, it's going to be one of those moments like the bombing of Buckingham Palace, when we see that the difficult times in which we're living affect everyone. But it's so sad that it has to be like this - getting the guest list down to 30 is difficult for anyone, the thought of the Queen sitting on her own is heartbreaking, and even everyone having to wear facemasks for the service is going to be strange.

A lot of death notices in the papers last year said that there'd be a full memorial service when restrictions allowed, and a lot of couples who got married with very few guests in attendance - doubtless Beatrice and Edo included - were planning big parties when restrictions allowed, but no-one thought it'd go on this long.

Yes, I think that had this funeral been held in normal times, we would have seen some of the great-grandchildren there. Perhaps, as others have suggested, there will be a memorial service at a later date when we will see a full turnout.

I think there will be. I'm guessing at St. Paul's with the full extended family and foreign royalty present but I still don't think any great grandchildren under the age of 10 will be there.

I agree that they'll make a lovely Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh when the time comes. And I truly think that Charles will be nothing short of thrilled to hand the title to his brother because I really believe that he thinks Edward deserves it and will make their father proud. That said, HM can't just give them the title. It has to merge with the Crown first and that can't happen until Charles becomes king.

I hope that the Duke of Edinburgh awards will continue....

I would imagine that Charles giving the title to his brother would be significant not just because the title was their father’s but because Edward will have an increased workload without Harry to help the new King. I don’t mean to imply that the Scottish titles the siblings use when in Scotland aren’t meaningful or important, but everyone knows “Duke of Edinburgh” - there’s a certain cachet. I know Philip had been retired for some years, but for most of his years as consort, he was incredibly busy. It just seems right and proper that as his youngest takes his title from Charles, that Edward will be stepping in to do much more of the heavy lifting.

I would imagine that Charles giving the title to his brother would be significant not just because the title was their father’s but because Edward will have an increased workload without Harry to help the new King. I don’t mean to imply that the Scottish titles the siblings use when in Scotland aren’t meaningful or important, but everyone knows “Duke of Edinburgh” - there’s a certain cachet. I know Philip had been retired for some years, but for most of his years as consort, he was incredibly busy. It just seems right and proper that as his youngest takes his title from Charles, that Edward will be stepping in to do much more of the heavy lifting.

I believe Edward is already the president of the DoE awards and has made announcements concerning a bright future for the organization. It sounds like it's in safe hands!

True, but I was thinking about the problems before the marriage because she was marrying a German:

https://www.nytimes.com/1966/03/11/...rman-marred-by-dutch-protests-wedding-of.html

Of course, he later became one of the most respected members of the royal family.

True, and one of the most popular. I went to his lying in state at Noordeinde Palace, as well of that of Queen Juliana. Prince Bernhard's I passed.

Prince Philip was also one of the most respected members of the BRF, that was already obvious and it truly shows now.

I believe Edward is already the president of the DoE awards and has made announcements concerning a bright future for the organization. It sounds like it's in safe hands!

Good!

It will be interesting to see what William makes of the Prince’s Trust when Charles becomes king.

Philip’s concern for young people has made such a difference, and his eldest followed suit. Edward will do a fine job as well in carrying on in his father and brother’s traditions.

I hope that the Duke of Edinburgh awards will continue...

I’m sure it will. It’s a huuuge organisation with activity around the globe. The Earl of Wessex is deeply involved since many years now. Not as a chairperson but as a Trustee, making a lot of the promotion work, Award presentation, visits in other countries etc.... It’s in safe hands

I’m sure it will. It’s a huuuge organisation with activity around the globe. The Earl of Wessex is deeply involved since many years now. Not as a chairperson but as a Trustee, making a lot of the promotion work, Award presentation, visits in other countries etc.... It’s in safe hands

Great to hear, thank you!

It was always arranged for Edward to become Duke of Edinburgh in due course, as teh queen wanted one of Phil's sons to have his title.. At the time of the marriage, when this was announced, Edwrd wasn't even full time on Royal duties.

True, and one of the most popular. I went to his lying in state at Noordeinde Palace, as well of that of Queen Juliana. Prince Bernhard's I passed.

Prince Philip was also one of the most respected members of the BRF, that was already obvious and it truly shows now.

True, I agree with you on this. ;)

Another lovely family photo released, this time by Mike Tindall on his personal Instagram.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzHGdE9XEAAjuxF?format=jpg&name=large

This is a beautiful photo. What a nice thing for Mia to have as she gets older and for Mike and Zara now, especially so as Zara is so close to both of her grandparents. I really do think it's lovely that Catherine has apparently become kind of the de facto family photographer. I know it's usually her own children that she shares with us in her photographs and I totally understand why but it's so nice to see the photos she takes of the other great-grandchildren, too, and it speaks to the closeness of the cousins and their families. I wonder if this was taken at Balmoral?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom