Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is actually a logical decision, as normally person who is more important/higher in ranking will be placed at middle. In this case it ranks by age, so the higher ranking (Peter) will be in middle, while the younger (William and Harry) will be in Peter's each side. (Yes the media is going to fuss about it but it's how thing normally work.)

That didn't happen at the Queen Mother's funeral though.
The Earl of Snowdon and Peter Philipps were walking at the sides of William and Harry yet David Armstrong-Jones was both older than the two brothers and closer related to the QM.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...in-of-queen-elizabeth-the-picture-id830841630

https://c8.alamy.com/compit/aat5p7/la-regina-madre-il-corteo-funebre-aat5p7.jpg

Last edited:
They'd talk if they were standing together as well. It's unavoidable right now unfortunately.

True. This will just inevitably be much louder since they aren’t standing together at all.

I'm very surprised indeed about Prince Michael as he was a pageboy at the Queen's wedding and it does seem a little unkind to ask his brother and sister and not him. I think it would have been nicer if the Duke of Kent alone had represented their branch of the family or to have left the Duke out and had PM and PA there as they had both been attendants at the wedding.

It's very possible that Prince Michael was invited to attend and declined due to health reasons and then his spot was filled in with someone else. It took until today to release a guest list so it's possible that both Prince Michael and Lady Pamela Hicks were honored with an invitation and declined.

As far as Peter walking between William and Harry, it makes sense to me and I'm not going to read anything into it other than Peter is the DoE's firstborn grandson.

As things progress through this week and we see the decisions the Queen has made, it makes me realize just why she's the iconic diplomat of our time. ?

That didn't happen at the Queen Mother's funeral though.
The Earl of Snowdon and Peter Philipps were walking at the sides of William and Harry yet David Armstrong-Jones was both older than the two brothers and closer related to the QM.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...in-of-queen-elizabeth-the-picture-id830841630

https://c8.alamy.com/compit/aat5p7/la-regina-madre-il-corteo-funebre-aat5p7.jpg

It could be the differences in the funerals, themselves. The Queen Mother's funeral was a full blown ceremonial funeral and, most likely, the order of precedence was followed for the family attending. With Philip's funeral on Saturday, with the limitations due to Covid, it's a small, private family funeral where precedence isn't being implemented.

We have to realize that the Queen is the one that has approved every decision made for this event. She knows what she's doing and how she and Philip wanted things to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Guardian newspaper has an order of procession for the walk to the chapel:
1. Coffin
2. Charles and Anne
3. Andrew and Edward
4. Harry, Peter, William
5. Tim Laurence, David Snowdon
6. The Duke's staff

The Queen to travel by car behind the procession, with presumably everyone else already in the Chapel

It could be the differences in the funerals, themselves. The Queen Mother's funeral was a full blown ceremonial funeral and, most likely, the order of precedence was followed for the family attending. With Philip's funeral on Saturday, with the limitations due to Covid, it's a small, private family funeral where precedence isn't being implemented.

We have to realize that the Queen is the one that has approved every decision made for this event. She knows what she's doing and how she and Philip wanted things to be.

It's a not a private family funeral, it's being classed as a royal ceremonial funeral ( the same as the Queen Mother's) but on a necessarily smaller scale. Who stands where in the procession is one of the few things that shouldn't be affected by the size of it.

The Duke's Insignia, orders, decorations and medals will be placed on the altar of St Georges chapel.

One could think it was really Philips wish to include ancestors of his sisters
as the sister were excluded from his wedding. sad that he had to die but finally
realizes to show pride about his roots, too.
farewell!

The Guardian newspaper has an order of procession for the walk to the chapel:
1. Coffin
2. Charles and Anne
3. Andrew and Edward
4. Harry, Peter, William
5. Tim Laurence, David Snowdon
6. The Duke's staff

The Queen to travel by car behind the procession, with presumably everyone else already in the Chapel

The order of those walking behind coffin does seem age related....which sadly will not stop unseemly gossip

It will be sad not to hear the full choir of St George's Chapel singing. Especially the traditional & moving Funeral Sentences by William Croft

It's a not a private family funeral, it's being classed as a royal ceremonial funeral ( the same as the Queen Mother's) but on a necessarily smaller scale. Who stands where in the procession is one of the few things that shouldn't be affected by the size of it.

As it is the monarch's prerogative to determine the order of precedence in the first place, I think we should just accept that the Queen made the decision of the order of procession for Saturday and it's the way she wants it to be done.

Interesting layout, I assume in part due to some of the narrower roads/routes from the Castle to the Chapel, especially with possibly bigger spacing than usual to allow for Covid. I'm glad Anne is with Charles and not relegated to the row behind i.e. that its been done by age not line of succession.

I guess at least with Peter in the middle there won't be over analysis of their interactions etc, probably just easier all round.

Last edited:
Nobody is trying to hide anything. Even if they did these things get brought up by all and sundry as soon as anyone, the royals themselves included, dares to put any label on a Protestant royal that's other than German. To say that the Oldenburgs are exclusively German ignores the fact that they've been on the Danish throne for 600 years and also ignores the very complex ethnic and linguistic composition of the pre-1848 Danish realm where ethnicity, language spoken and national identity rarely went hand in hand. Philip himself identified as Danish (or Scandinavian) and that's good enough for me.

I understand you completely, but

"Philip himself never was a German, neither by citizenship nor by male-line descent."

"traditionally you are going by the father's ancestry and that was Danish."

Philip wasn't German citizen, that's fine, but his ancestry is completely German, no matter how he felt Scandinavian.

Also his ancestors in male line were German also...The didn't have Danish blood. They came from Germany to rule Denmark for 600 years and married almost exclusively German...

I always read he has Greek blood, Danish blood, British blood, just because his ancestors ruled there, but that is simply not historically true. You can say his ancestors ruled in Greece, Denmark, Russia, but not saying having blood he never actually had.

Those things are just facts, no matter how someone feels, you, me or Prince Philip.

It's fine for me to say how someone personally feels and I RESPECT THAT, but to change someone's ancestry just based on how someone "feels" about it is completely other thing. Those are things that can't be changed, no matter how someone feels.

As it is the monarch's prerogative to determine the order of precedence in the first place, I think we should just accept that the Queen made the decision of the order of procession for Saturday and it's the way she wants it to be done.

Yes and I am simply pointing out that it is still a televised royal ceremonial funeral and not a private family affair as was stated.

I see that the guest list has been released, it's practically as I expected it.

However, I have a question: on https://www.royal.uk/funeral-duke-edinburgh-0, it says "The Earl of Wessex and Forfar" and "The Countess of Wessex and Forfar".
What does Forfar mean?

The Queen presented Edward with a Scottish Earldom for his 55th birthday. I thought the title was only going to be used in Scotland but obviously on this occasion both are being used.

However, I have a question: on https://www.royal.uk/funeral-duke-edinburgh-0, it says "The Earl of Wessex and Forfar" and "The Countess of Wessex and Forfar".
What does Forfar mean?

Edward was granted the title Earl of Forfar a year or so ago....so he is the Earl of Forfar and Sophie is the Countess

Interesting to note that on this occasion Princess Beatrice, Mrs Mapelli Mozzi and Princess Eugenie, Mrs Jack Brooksbank are used. It has also been updated on the OoS page.

It seems that is the form of title/address the Palace use while Prince Andrew's office seem more happy with "Princess Beatrice" or Princess Beatrice of York".

I think they will all fit in the Quire. There are three rows of pews so using the 1st and 3rd will ensure adequate distance. If the congregation are going to wear masks I believe that means they may be able to technically sit within 2meters of each other under the 1m+ idea of the government which may provide a little more wiggle room.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

I find a bit strange though, that only The Earl and Countess of Wessex have their Scottish title in use on this occasion. I wonder why that is (his brothers also have Scottish titles).

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

I find a bit strange though, that only The Earl and Countess of Wessex have their Scottish title in use on this occasion. I wonder why that is (his brothers also have Scottish titles).

Charles is only styled ”Duke of Rothesay” when he is in Scotland.

Andrew is only Earl of Inverness and William is only Earl of Strathearn when they are in Inverness and Strathearn... Same should apply for Edward so i can’t say why he is suddenly styled as ”Earl of Wessex and Forfar”

Last edited:
Charles is only styled ”Duke of Rothesay” when he is in Scotland.

Andrew is only Earl of Inverness and William is only Earl of Strathearn when they are in Inverness and Strathearn... Same should apply for Edward so i can’t say why he is suddenly styled as ”Earl of Wessex and Forfar”

Possibly because he will eventually be the DoE?

It may just have been a mistake, or maybe as both Edwards main and Scottish title are the same - Earl of Wessex and Earl of Forfar whereas for all the other family members their Scottish title is a lower title:

Prince of Wales vs Duke of Rothesay
Duke of Cambridge vs Earl of Strathearn
Duke of York vs Earl of Inverness

I assume Edward got an Earldom as one day he will be Duke of Edinburgh so it will be a lower ranking title in time.

What does Forfar mean?

The Earl of Wessex is also Earl of Forfar which was granted in 2019 and is his Scottish title.

It may just have been a mistake, or maybe as both Edwards main and Scottish title are the same - Earl of Wessex and Earl of Forfar whereas for all the other family members their Scottish title is a lower title:

Prince of Wales vs Duke of Rothesay
Duke of Cambridge vs Earl of Strathearn
Duke of York vs Earl of Inverness

I assume Edward got an Earldom as one day he will be Duke of Edinburgh so it will be a lower ranking title in time.

Ah, that might be an explanation. I was just wondering since I have never seen the combination Wessex and Forfar before.
Heck, I didn't know he had the title :lol:

Echo the thoughts about Prince Michael. I’d expected the absence of Daniel Chatto, the Duke of Gloucester or having just one of Princess Margaret’s children to represent her given that he is a closer blood relative to Philip and was a pageboy. I hope he is okay.

Also glad that Anne is with Charles. I always thought that all females should have swapped places with the brothers they were displaced by when the rules were changed, but that’s another topic. Philip may also have asked that his daughter be afforded her rightful position as the second born, having a special place for her as the only daughter and the child most like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom