Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Section 4 - Army Dress Regulations - All Ranks

Officers not in Actual Military Service.

Officers in the categories listed at (a), (b) and (c) above who are not in actual military service may wear uniform on the occasions listed below:

I) Parades in connection with the official birthday of the Sovereign.

II) Royal and State Ceremonials.

III) Ceremonies in connection with Remembrance Day.

IV) Regimental functions or celebrations at a military station, with the approval of the regimental authority concerned.

V) Occasions in connection with which an announcement regarding the wearing of uniform is made by the Ministry of Defence beforehand.

vi) Other occasions, on application to the Ministry of Defence PS12(A).

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ds/attachment_data/file/619983/2017-03109.pdf

I suppose that the funeral service qualifies as a "royal ceremonial". If so, then, according to your information, Prince Harry could wear his Captain uniform.

I love the two pictures of The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh with their great-grandchildren that were previously not shown before. What a great way to remember Prince Philip as a warm great-grandfather ?

On a different note, Conor Lynch, an architect who is likely to be involved in Prince Philip's statue at London, has drawn some sketches and released them on his twitter account.

Conor Lynch @ConorLynchEsq
Drawing up a concept for the statue
4:29 AM · Apr 12, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​
Picture: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EytpY-nWYAEjS91?format=jpg&name=900x900

Proposed statue of HRH The Prince Philip
12:13 AM · Apr 13, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​
Picture: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eyx4RfLXMAEbV0z?format=jpg&name=900x900

Proposed Statue of HRH The Prince Philip in London.

This was designed over the past couple of days following news that there is great public support for a statue.
3:42 AM · Apr 13, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​
Picture: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EyyoIcqXIAAML_H?format=jpg&name=900x900

Reading from a reply conversation on his twitter account, Lynch's design is inspired from the Prince Philip's portrait illustrated by Aubrey Claud Davidson-Houston's (1906–1995). This portrait is in the Parliamentary Art Collection. Lynch was replying to Aubrey Claud Davidson-Houston's first cousin twice removed.
https://d3d00swyhr67nd.cloudfront.net/w944h944/collection/POW/POW/POW_POW_3164-001.jpg
Originally from: https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/prince-philip-the-duke-of-edinburgh-213820
Twitter conversation:

I suppose that the funeral service qualifies as a "royal ceremonial". If so, then, according to your information, Prince Harry could wear his Captain uniform.
Yes, it seems this way - Captain is a junior officer rank, so that would make it possible for him to wear that uniform :flowers:

It saddens me a lot how much of the coverage is focused on Andrew, Harry and Meghan, "forgiving" the royal family and throwing temper tantrums about wearing a uniform. I wish they focused on Prince Philip's extraordinary life instead of the family drama, at least until the funeral.

Yes, it seems this way - Captain is a junior officer rank, so that would make it possible for him to wear that uniform :flowers:

It saddens me a lot how much of the coverage is focused on Andrew, Harry and Meghan, "forgiving" the royal family and throwing temper tantrums about wearing a uniform. I wish they focused on Prince Philip's extraordinary life instead of the family drama, at least until the funeral.

True, but a different angle may be this: the more "side attention" there is now, the more proper coverage there will be on Saturday i.e. all the attention will be focused on Prince Philip because the "side attention" input has run out of steam.

Or perhaps I'm too optimistic ?

I'm curious at what time the guest list will be released, I had actually already expected it by now.

True, but a different angle may be this: the more "side attention" there is now, the more proper coverage there will be on Saturday i.e. all the attention will be focused on Prince Philip because the "side attention" input has run out of steam.

Or perhaps I'm too optimistic ?

I'm curious at what time the guest list will be released, I had actually already expected it by now.

I thought it might have been released at around 11am today as that's a pretty common time for the BRF to release statements. I wonder if they are going to do it at all or if it's just been the papers speculating that the list would be published before Saturday.

I would have thought before lunch but give they had the pictures of Charles and Camilla this morning I'd say 5pm this afternoon.

Edit - Camilla has arrived on the Windsor estate today

Last edited:
Nice to see Edward thanking people for the sentiments been left on the DOE site and social media. The DOE and their international bodies were overwhelmed by people who wished to pay their respects through the organization that it was sit up this week rather fast. There have also been called for participants to wear their badges on Saturday.

There has also been a 50% increase of applications on the main DOE site to the award scheme. Notable in BAME communities, as well as an increase of over 200% people seeking more information for school, social club participation. The DOE Awards have also thanked people for donations which have been pouring in worldwide.

This is wonderful. I’m sure this means a lot to the family.

ETA- that is a nice photo of Philip and Edward. Is it just me- or do their smiles look similar?

Last edited:
Charles and Camilla looking at the flowers was lovely. And the flowers were so beautifully arranged!

The floral tributes at the grounds of Malborough House are wonderful.

So, the BBC has finally woken up and updated its schedule for Saturday. Coverage starts at 12:30 PM BST (13:30 CET), lasting for three hours and 45 minutes in total.

New release of info (at 5pm as I predicted lol) - all from Rebeca English twitter as first I could find

*The Queen, accompanied by a lady in waiting, will wear a mask throughout proceedings and follow her husband’s funeral procession in her official Bentley.

*Palace officials confirm the Mail’s story today that senior royals will not wear uniform. Instead they will be morning/day dress with medals.

*William & Harry will not walk shoulder to shoulder when they join senior royals for the funeral procession. Cousin Peter Philips will be in between them.

From telegraph

There will be no congregational singing during the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral.
A small choir of 4, comprising 3 lay clarks from the St George’s Chapel choir and a soprano, who is a member of the St George’s community, will perform each piece of music

Express has guest list
https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...who-is-going-to-Duke-of-Edinburgh-funeral-evg

The full list of guests at Prince Philip’s funeral is as follows:

The Queen
The Prince of Wales
The Duchess of Cornwall
The Duke of Cambridge
The Duchess of Cambridge
The Duke of Sussex
The Duke of York
Princess Beatrice
Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi
Princess Eugenie
Jack Brooksbank
The Earl of Wessex
The Countess of Wessex
Lady Louise Windsor
Viscount Severn
The Princess Royal
Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence
Peter Phillips
Zara Phillips
Mike Tindall
Earl of Snowdon
Lady Sarah Chatto
Daniel Chatto
Duke of Gloucester
Duke of Kent
Princess Alexandra
Bernhard, Hereditary Prince of Baden
Prince Donatus, Landgrave of Hesse
Prince Philipp of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
The Countess Mountbatten of Burma

Last edited:
From Vanity Fair:

Ahead of the church service, beginning around 2:45 p.m. local time, there will be a ceremonial procession on the Windsor Castle grounds during which, per Philip's wishes, his body will be transported to the chapel via a Land Rover the Duke of Edinburgh helped to modify. Prince Charles will lead the procession behind it, joined by his sons Prince Harry and Prince William. Other senior royals are also expected to join the procession, including Philip's other three children, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, Prince Edward, as well as their spouses. But sources have told Vanity Fair that Queen Elizabeth will not be amongst them.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/04/how-to-watch-prince-philip-funeral

New release of info (at 5pm as I predicted lol) - all from Rebeca English twitter as first I could find

*The Queen, accompanied by a lady in waiting, will wear a mask throughout proceedings and follow her husband’s funeral procession in her official Bentley.

*Palace officials confirm the Mail’s story today that senior royals will not wear uniform. Instead they will be morning/day dress with medals.

*William & Harry will not walk shoulder to shoulder when they join senior royals for the funeral procession. Cousin Peter Philips will be in between them.

Interesting...on purpose because of the rift?

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't see the Private Secretary mentioned?

Hmm not sure Betsy, they were side by side for the Queen Mother's procession, that's all we know and I can't see anyone coming out and saying why or giving more detail. I wonder if that part was decided before the uniforms and maybe it was to break up the direct contrast of William in uniform and Harry not - irrelevant now all will be in civilian dress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm not sure Betsy, they were side by side for the Queen Mother's procession, that's all we know and I can't see anyone coming out and saying it. I wonder if that pat was decided before the uniforms and maybe it was to break up the direct contrast of William in uniform and Harry not - irrelevant now all will be in civilian dress.

Could be...but you know that that’s going get people speculating even more !

Hmm not sure Betsy, they were side by side for the Queen Mother's procession, that's all we know and I can't see anyone coming out and saying why or giving more detail. I wonder if that part was decided before the uniforms and maybe it was to break up the direct contrast of William in uniform and Harry not - irrelevant now all will be in civilian dress.

Are they the three eldest grandchildren? Maybe a reason or just numbers.

It was mentioned before that people who are *working* throughout this memorial service, do not count into the 30 people rule.
Maybe the private secretary and the lady in waiting are in fact *working* then and therefore dont count.
Can this be confirmed?

Glad to see that the dukes of Gloucester and Kent, as princess Alexandra, were not unfairly forgotten, as some members suggested.

No Pamela Hicks, which may be due to a few things, but is sad. Which means the only one to represent the Mountbattens is someone very close to Philip, but still an in-law?

And no Private Secretary, as already mentioned.

Yes - and it sounds like they are the only grandchildren walking behind the coffin. They are the only grandsons - apart from James who I can see arriving with his mother and sister rather than the very formal procession.
Seems confirmed (from Rebecca English's twitter)

*The funeral procession includes Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Edward, Prince Andrew, Prince Harry, Peter Phillips, Prince Willliam, Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, The Earl of Snowdon plus Philip’s personal protection officer, private secretary, two pages and two valets

I suspect it will be formed up as:

-his 4 children (Charles, Anne, Edward, Andrew)
-his three grandchildren (probably centre of second row) with Tim and Earl Snowndon at either end
-staff

Are they the three eldest grandchildren? Maybe a reason or just numbers.

They are the three older grandsons, not grandchildren, as Zara is older than William and Harry.

Last edited:
Nice to see The Dukes of Kent and Gloucester along with Princess Alexandra were not forgotten.

Glad to see all his grand children are attending, although bit sad that James isn't walking with the coffin. He is quite young to be fair. I also think it’s lovely that Tim is walking in the procession as he’s not a blood relative but obviously meant a lot to Philip. Did he walk with the Queen Mother’s procession?

It will be sad to see the Queen sit alone but I’m sure it will be a beautiful ceremony.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom