Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad that his mother’s side of the family will be there. Also aren’t all the royals fully vaccinated? Including Harry from us?

All we know is that the Queen, Charles and Camilla have been vaccinated and presumably the rest over 50s. William and Catherine's age group haven't come up yet so they, and the other younger royals probably haven't been.

The UK is only starting to vaccinated those over 40 this week - the 40-45 group started on Monday with their first jab.

I don't know how the US is doing the roll-out but if they are already vaccinated those in their 30s he may have been vaccinated - at least with one dose.

All we know is that the Queen, Charles and Camilla have been vaccinated and presumably the rest over 50s. William and Catherine's age group haven't come up yet so they, and the other younger royals probably haven't been.

The UK is only starting to vaccinated those over 40 this week - the 40-45 group started on Monday with their first jab.

I don't know how the US is doing the roll-out but if they are already vaccinated those in their 30s he may have been vaccinated - at least with one dose.

It depends on the state and county. As of April 1, all adults 50+ were eligible in California; as of midnight tonight, anyone 16+ is eligible in California. So, I would say that Harry has probably not yet received a vaccination since he is, as far as we know, a perfectly healthy 36-year old with no underlying health conditions.

https://www.latimes.com/california/...l-be-open-to-all-16-and-older-before-midnight

In the U.S only people over 65 and those at high risk are being vaccinated at the moment. Although every state is a bit different.

In the U.S only people over 65 and those at high risk are being vaccinated at the moment. Although every state is a bit different.

Actually there many states where people in their 30's are all perfectly elegible to get the vaccine right now. My state, Connecticut, being one of them.

Actually there many states where people in their 30's are all perfectly elegible to get the vaccine right now. My state, Connecticut, being one of them.

Okay, I was not aware of that. It seems in most places it still people in their 50s and 60s. Where I live those in their 30s who are not at high risk can not get it yet.

[...]

[...] it is essentially a family funeral with the landrover procession being the only military component and if Prince Philip hadn't been involved with the Landrover I don't think there would have been even that. The world is still in the grip of a deadly pandemic and it is my personal belief that HM is incredibly compassionate and sees the larger picture and, as both Harry and Eugenie's tributes were to their grandpa she is no doubt aware that many people will mourn while watching the funeral. They will shed tears for lost loved ones whose funerals they couldn't attend and so the entire funeral will perhaps be a very cathartic moment for people all over the world.

On the dress code, I think HM would have had a hard time seeing royals in uniform following the coffin. For the last 70 plus years her husband had been there doing that and it would have made his absence and her personal loss even more stark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Okay, I was not aware of that. It seems in most places it still people in their 50s and 60s. Where I live those in their 30s who are not at high risk can not get it yet.

Yup, I'm in Oregon and my age group (45-64 with an underlying medical condition) has been eligible since March 29th. And everyone 16+ with an underlying health condition becomes eligible next Monday. I just got my first shot today (Moderna - just a sore arm, 7.5 hours and counting) and was happy to find an open appointment - it took about 10 days of checking regularly for me to snag this one.

As already mentioned, their song was People Will Say We're In Love :) .

In England and Scotland, vaccination booking opened on Tuesday for people aged 45-49. In Wales and Northern Ireland, people aged 40-49 are able to book. So none of the grandchildren will have been vaccinated yet ... a few health authorities got ahead of the game and started on over 40s early, but not many. People under 50 who work in healthcare or have underlying health conditions have already been vaccinated, but that doesn't apply to any of the Royals.

I believe the only people who've made it "about Harry's ego" in regards to the uniform are the tabloids. As far as I've seen, there's only been reports of Andrew actively complaining about not being able to wear the uniform he wanted.

The tabloids and other media sources were the ones saying it was all about Andrew's ego as well. The sources I saw said *both* wanted to wear uniforms so I don't think we can completely discard the idea that it's being done to appease both men. I feel I can state that Harry has been shown to have a certain sense of entitlement from his own lips in recent weeks. But who knows what's actually going on.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but isn't it the *honorary* official military ranks that Harry no longer holds? Wouldn't it still be appropriate for him to wear the uniform of a Captain in the Army which was his rank when he left active service?

Andrew wanted to wear an Admiral's uniform and he's not been "officially" brought up to that rank. It was put on hold due to the mess with Epstein at the time of his 60th birthday. He does, however, hold the rank of Vice Admiral.

Perhaps its best none of them wear uniforms at all. I like Marge's thinking that the Queen would feel the loss greater as Philip usually accompanied her wearing a military uniform.

Just to go back to Donatus, Landgrave of Hesse, I was reading something about the Hesse-Cassels recently (after watching a rather bizarre TV programme which claimed that George VI sent a spy to retrieve correspondence between the Hesse-Cassels and the Duke of Windsor - I think some people have over-active imaginations) and Prince Philip's supposed to have been named after the grandfather of Donatus. So they must all have been quite close, even before the Hesse-Cassels merged with the Hesse-Darmstadts, so to speak.

If it is true that all the men will wear suit and tie to appease certain members of the family (a bit if, tabloids are tabloids) then I think it is a real shame. Philip served in the navy and always seemed very committed and proud to the regiments he represented. I feel like he would have preferred uniforms.

I believe part of the issue is that "ordinary service personnel" aren't permitted to wear their uniforms once they leave active service, just the medals they have earned on civilian dress. E.g. my father was in the military for 35 years and wears his medals on Remembrance Day but doesn't have and wouldn't be allowed to wear his old uniforms (of any type). I suspect the same is true for Harry - he couldn't wear his uniform from active service as its not permitted and he has given up his honorary roles so can't wear that either.
The issue with Andrew was that he wanted to wear the uniform of Admiral, an appointment he didn't take up as it would have been offered on his 60th birthday but that was the height of the Epstein and Newsnight interview drama so it was said it would be deferred until /when he returned to royal duties.

While I can see why the decision has been taken for all the family to wear civilian clothes, and it will have been signed off by HM and what she decides who can argue with, I do think its a shame that they won't be in military uniform when Philip so much wanted a military funeral. I know it will still be a military funeral with plenty of military personnel there and who knows Philip's feelings on his family wearing uniform for honorary ranks but it just sits uncomfortably with me that Philip would likely have expected them to wear uniforms and now they aren't, becoming one of the only ceremonial royal funerals to be in civilian dress. So much has had to change already to meet Covid rules it would have been nice to keep as much else the same as Philip would have thought. Anyway HM I'm sure could have done without it and no one can argue with her. I'd have love to have known what Philip would have said about it :whistling: ;)

It's lovely that his sisters side of the family will be well represented too. I do think this means we won't see all "the royal family" in attendance. We should get a list of who is attending a some point today so we'll know soon enough.

Last edited:
Prince Donatus' father was the adopted son of Louis & Peg Hesse (Louis was the brother-in-law of Philip's sister Cecile) who were both very close to Philip and his family. Donatus told a British newspaper (I can't remember which) about frequent private visits to the Windsors in the UK during the State visit to Germany where he had been invited to an official dinner in Frankfurt together descendants of Philip's sisters so it seems that he is considered family.

Note that, alike the late Prince Philip, Prince Andrew and Prince Harry are the only ones whom have seen active combat indeed.

In principle, like any (retired) military, they have the right to wear an uniform for ceremonial purposes indeed, if the dresscode says so.

We can witness plenty of ceremonial events in which retired officers wear their uniform indeed, think about annual regimental dinners, about regimental jubilees or weddings e.d. They then have a small R ("reitred") below the badge of rank.

Last edited:
If that is the case the solution seems easy - Harry should wear the uniform of Captain, The Blues and Royals and Andrew should wear the uniform of Commander in the Royal Navy.

That’s not true at all....vaccinations nationwide have been rolling out swiftly, by now pretty much everyone is eligible

Let's move on from discussing Covid-19 vaccinations in the US or anywhere else - it has no essential bearing on the topic. Thank you.

If that is the case the solution seems easy - Harry should wear the uniform of Captain, The Blues and Royals and Andrew should wear the uniform of Commander in the Royal Navy.
That is what i think too. Would be a pity if no one can wear an Uniform because of this too. And then there would be the Issue what to do at future Events like the coronation of Charles orther (hopefully not for some years) funeral of HM.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but isn't it the *honorary* official military ranks that Harry no longer holds? Wouldn't it still be appropriate for him to wear the uniform of a Captain in the Army which was his rank when he left active service?

I believe one doesn't wear uniform after leaving the service, unless one holds an honorary rank.

I have never been in the military though, so I may be wrong. Practice may also vary from country to country.

Last edited:
The photo of the Queen smiling at baby Charlotte (and Charlotte looking at her ) is a treasure.

Nice to see Edward thanking people for the sentiments been left on the DOE site and social media. The DOE and their international bodies were overwhelmed by people who wished to pay their respects through the organization that it was sit up this week rather fast. There have also been called for participants to wear their badges on Saturday.

There has also been a 50% increase of applications on the main DOE site to the award scheme. Notable in BAME communities, as well as an increase of over 200% people seeking more information for school, social club participation. The DOE Awards have also thanked people for donations which have been pouring in worldwide.

That is what i think too. Would be a pity if no one can wear an Uniform because of this too. And then there would be the Issue what to do at future Events like the coronation of Charles orther (hopefully not for some years) funeral of HM.

It really will be a pity if wearing uniforms goes by the wayside at future events after this. Hopefully they'll be able to at HM's funeral at least.

It's really great that interest in the DOE awards has gone up, it's really worthwhile.

Section 4 - Army Dress Regulations - All Ranks

Officers not in Actual Military Service.

Officers in the categories listed at (a), (b) and (c) above who are not in actual military service may wear uniform on the occasions listed below:

I) Parades in connection with the official birthday of the Sovereign.

II) Royal and State Ceremonials.

III) Ceremonies in connection with Remembrance Day.

IV) Regimental functions or celebrations at a military station, with the approval of the regimental authority concerned.

V) Occasions in connection with which an announcement regarding the wearing of uniform is made by the Ministry of Defence beforehand.

vi) Other occasions, on application to the Ministry of Defence PS12(A).

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ds/attachment_data/file/619983/2017-03109.pdf

Charles and Camilla have been to look at the flowers and other tributes left at Buckingham Palace gates. They were moved to the grounds of Malborough House where they have been laid out.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Prince-Philip-tributes-Marlborough-House.html

Video clip here:

The flowers and tributes a have all been set out so beautifully and with such care and attention - I find this a much better way to lay out floral tributes than to see just a few flowers amongst all the wrapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom