Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that 9 am EDT ?

I can’t say for sure since I haven’t seen the announcement but I imagine so. 3 pm in the UK is 9 am here in the midwest and 10 am eastern and it would make sense that they’d start an hour beforehand so 9 EST/8 CST.

It's all just speculation, but it would be rather nice for members of his sisters' families to be there.

It's all just speculation, but it would be rather nice for members of his sisters' families to be there.

It’s not speculation - see the article; the relatives are already quarantining

I've just seen it announced on Fox News here that they'll start coverage of the funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh starting at 9 AM Saturday. I imagine that other channels will be following suit.

From everything I've read, it will be Charles that leads the procession from Windsor Castle to St. George's Chapel walking behind the Duke's coffin. I imagine that William and Harry will walk with Charles and the rest of the family will follow. Much like we saw them all walking over to the Chapel from the castle for Harry's wedding.

But why not the children on the first row? I don't see why the first row wouldn't be the duke's four children. William can 'lead' the grandchildren, just like Charles 'leads' the children (by walking in the middle position).

I don't know how they would go about the in-laws; whether they will walk as well or that they'll leave the procession to his descendants?

Good!I guess everyone will have to redo their predictions for who's in the group of 30 now, or wait until tomorrow when those attending are announced anyway.

That's a wonderful surprise; I assume they have also arrived in the UK last weekend to meet quarantining regulations.

In that case I wonder whether they will leave most of the queen's cousins out and focus on his direct descendants and spouses (20), private secretary (1), Margaret's children (3), German nieces/nephews (3), Countess Mountbatten of Birma, Lady Pamela Hicks and The Duke of Kent (to represent the rest of the wider royal family) (3).

My guess for representatives from the German side of the family would be that there'll be 1 representative of each of his sisters (as Cecilie has no living descendants due to the plane crash; and early death of their surviving daughter). I picked his nephews and niece - but if they are considered too old to travel the families might send a younger family member - of course a younger family member might also join them to the UK without attending the funeral itself:
  • Prince Georg of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (only living child of his eldest sister Margarita)
  • Prince Maximillian of Baden OR Prince Ludwig of Baden (sons of his second sister Theodora)
  • Prince Karl of Hesse OR Prince Rainer of Hesse OR Princess Clarissa of Hesse (remaining children of his fourth sister Sophie)

Last edited by a moderator:
For U.S Networks:
NBC start coverage at 9:30 am ET
CBS start coverage at 9:30 am ET
CNN and ABC will start coverage at 9 am ET
MSNBC will start Saturday Morning. No time is given but presumably, before 9:30 I imagine.

I stay away from CBS, will be anchored by Gayle King. I find NBC has the best coverage when comes to these kinds of events.

That's a wonderful surprise; I assume they have also arrived in the UK last weekend to meet quarantining regulations.

In that case I wonder whether they will leave most of the queen's cousins out and focus on his direct descendants and spouses (20), private secretary (1), Margaret's children (3), German nieces/nephews (3), Countess Mountbatten of Birma, Lady Pamela Hicks and The Duke of Kent (to represent the rest of the wider royal family) (3).

Yep I think that list maybe it. Only thing that might be different is maybe Daniel Chatto might not be there so that Ashley Hicks can help his mother I think someone said she is in a wheelchair.

My guess for representatives from the German side of the family would be that there'll be 1 representative of each of his sisters (as Cecilie has no living descendants due to the plane crash; and early death of their surviving daughter). I picked his nephews and niece - but if they are considered too old to travel the families might send a younger family member - of course a younger family member might also join them to the UK without attending the funeral itself:
  • Prince Georg of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (only living child of his eldest sister Margarita)
  • Prince Maximillian of Baden OR Prince Ludwig of Baden (sons of his second sister Theodora)
  • Prince Karl of Hesse OR Prince Rainer of Hesse OR Princess Clarissa of Hesse (remaining children of his fourth sister Sophie)

The article in the Daily Mail lists who the three are. Princesses Margarita and Theodora’s grandsons and the heir to the Hesse Family. They are isolating at a house near Ascot.

For U.S Networks:
MSNBC will start Saturday Morning. No time is given but presumably, before 9:30 I imagine.

I stay away from CBS, will be anchored by Gayle King. I find NBC has the best coverage when comes to these kinds of events.

Thanks! I really would prefer to watch a British news coverage as I have no faith that any US network will show the appropriate restraint. I expect them to blather on about Harry and Meghan, and Philip’s gaffes. No American journalist covering this knows anything about the BRF.

For U.S Networks:

Thank you! I was just planning to settle in this evening and look up this information. And I agree, NBC usually does a pretty good job with these kinds of things but definitely avoid CBS. If you can watch on BBC or BBC America I would but if not then definitely NBC or MSNBC.

Thanks! I really would prefer to watch a British news coverage as I have no faith that any US network will show the appropriate restraint. I expect them to blather on about Harry and Meghan, and Philip’s gaffes. No American journalist covering this knows anything about the BRF.

Why I didn’t think about until now.....IDK. Thanks for pointing that out.

Does anyone know if someone would still have to self-isolate when travelling into the UK if they've been vaccinated?

Assuming the "no uniforms" bit is true, that's a shame especially since it's not supposed to be about Andrew and Harry's egos. And a definitely shame HM had to be dragged into it. Again I guess we'll wait and see.

I believe the only people who've made it "about Harry's ego" in regards to the uniform are the tabloids. As far as I've seen, there's only been reports of Andrew actively complaining about not being able to wear the uniform he wanted.

If the No Uniforms guidelines are true, fine. A good solution. It keeps the focus on HM and the passing of the DoE.

You’re absolutely right; I was aghast years ago when an American journalist identified Prince Philip as “the King” ~ it was at a Windsor wedding, perhaps Peter Phillips?

I really like the fact that all official flags in Denmark will be on half-mast on saturday on command of HM queen Margrethe, because she wants to highlight the fact that Philip was a prince of Denmark, too. Even though his sisters had married into former reigning families of Germany, Philip himself never was a German, neither by citizenship nor by male-line descent. His father was a Greek and Danish prince, his mother a British princess from a family who had given up their German roots to stick with Britain. Plus the family Alice was from, a minor branch of the Hesse-family, was in their male-line descent a family from the "Middle Realm", the empire Charlemagne's son Lothar had inherited which went in-between France and Germany from Flanders and the Netherlands down to Rome. Their founder had, during Lothar's reign, kidnapped one of Lothar's daughters and married her, thus founding a family who for more than1100 years held reigning positions throughout Europe.
That's the Battenberg/Mountbatten-descent and something Philip could have been proud of, I believe. But traditionally you are going by the father's ancestry and that was Danish (though of course with German blood through the princesses who had married into the family).

Why I didn’t think about until now.....IDK. Thanks for pointing that out.

You're welcome! Unfortunately, I don't think BBC America will cover it, so it looks like it's the least worst.......... CNN is out, so since I already watch MSNBC, that's probably it. It depends, though, on which Royal Reporters are covering which networks...I'll pretty much watch the network that has my favorites.

You’re absolutely right; I was aghast years ago when an American journalist identified Prince Philip as “the King” ~ it was at a Windsor wedding, perhaps Peter Phillips?

Oh brother.........and what I'm really worried about is that our media savaged the BRF and the institution as a whole during the Oprah mess; I'm afraid their latent hate for the Monarchy will emerge in their condescending, arrogant attitudes. I hope I'm wrong.

Wouldn't Harry have been entitled to wear one as a retired/former Captain? I think the bigger issue is that Andrew apparently wants the Admiral rank instead of his current rank.

What is his current rank? Is it lower or higher ?

This might be inappropriate here, but may I ask, did HM and the DoE have a song? The kind of song associated with their courtship and /or marriage?

I know The Queen has always like "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square", but I don't know if that was the song they both liked. She also liked songs from "Oklahoma" too, again, I don't know what The Duke liked.

What is his current rank? Is it lower or higher ?

Well, seeing as Admiral is the highest rank in the Navy...

He's either a Rear Admiral or a Vice-Admiral, I can't recall which. One of the articles linked yesterday went into detail about his current rank.

FYI - Fox and Fox News are sister networks of Sky/Sky News, so chances are whatever coverage Fox has of the funeral will be a simulcast instead of using US anchors. I am fairly certain that's what they did when they covered the royal weddings in the last decade.

First Sea Lord is a civilian (Parliamentary) appointment. Winston Churchill was famously First Sea Lord during part of the two World Wars.

Andrew is an honorary Vice Admiral (promoted 2015.) He apparently asked that his promotion to full Admiral be held off in the wake of the Epstein scandal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31435934

This might be inappropriate here, but may I ask, did HM and the DoE have a song? The kind of song associated with their courtship and /or marriage?

I know The Queen has always like "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square", but I don't know if that was the song they both liked. She also liked songs from "Oklahoma" too, again, I don't know what The Duke liked.

Apparently ‘People Will Say We’re in Love’ from Oklahoma was a sentimental favourite of the Queen’s. She played the record often when she and Philip were first courting before the public knew.

For U.S Networks:

Does anyone know where to watch via streaming? I don't have cable.

The article in the Daily Mail lists who the three are. Princesses Margarita and Theodora’s grandsons and the heir to the Hesse Family. They are isolating at a house near Ascot.

Margarita and Theodora have multiple grandsons but it seems they sent their highest representations (and all a bit younger that the nephews and niece of the duke; between 50 and 54 - so less at risk):

For Margarita's family: Prince (Fürst) Philipp of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
For Theodora's family: Bernhard, Hereditary Prince of Baden
For Sophie's family (and in remembrance of Cecilie's): Prince Donatus, Landgrave of Hesse (although he himself is not closely related to Philip - 3rd cousins once removed if I'm not mistaken through their shared descendance of queen Victoria)

And if they are quarantining together close to Ascot they are most likely forming their own bubble?!

Is that 9 am EDT ?

Yes. EDT. Sorry 'bout that. ?

I won't be watching it on Fox News. That's hubby's channel. Not mine. I'll be looking to stream it from some other place. ;)

Last edited:
Margarita and Theodora have multiple grandsons but it seems they sent their highest representations (and all a bit younger than the nephews and niece of the duke; between 50 and 54 - so less at risk):

For Margarita's family: Prince (Fürst) Philipp of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
For Theodora's family: Bernhard, Hereditary Prince of Baden
For Sophie's family (and in remembrance of Cecilie's): Prince Donatus, Landgrave of Hesse (although he himself is not closely related to Philip - 3rd cousins once removed if I'm not mistaken through their shared descendance of queen Victoria)

And if they are quarantining together close to Ascot they are most likely forming their own bubble?!

Margrave Maximilian of Baden is 87, so perhaps it would have been difficult for him to attend. I am perplexed by Donatus, as he is not a descendant of Sophie. Yet, he fits the profile of the other two princes. Wasn't Philip's mother related to the Hesse family?

Prince Philipp Hohenlohe-Langenburg, 51, said in a statement from the house where he and his relatives remain isolated until the weekend: "It really is an incredible honour and we are all extremely touched and privileged to be included on behalf of the wider family."

Wrong Hesses! Alice’s mother Victoria came from the Hesse and by Rhine branch of the Hesse family while Donatus is descended from the Hesse Cassels.

However both lines merged, as the last Duke of Hesse and by Rhine (Louis) and his wife had no children. Cecilie, Philip’s sister was married to George Donatus his older brother, but she and practically all her family including her two little boys were killed in a terrible air crash in 1937.

So I guess Donatus, who is a descendant of Queen Victoria and has often been photographed with the Queen at horse shows, is presumably representing the two branches of the Hesse family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom