Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what absolutely adorable pictures of the duke, the queen and their great grandchildren. shame archie is not in the picture...

The BBC is slacking....still no update for Saturday.

Tomorrow the guest list will be released, curious to know who will be there (apart from the obvious guests) :flowers:

what absolutely adorable pictures of the duke, the queen and their great grandchildren. shame archie is not in the picture...

It says it was taken in 2018 so that was before he was even born.

True however the photo was taken in 2018 so he was not born yet. Perhaps the Sussexes plan to have a photo of Archie with his great-grandfather they will choose to share.

Last edited:
Where do I order this new book?

The Gyles Brandreth book? According to Amazon, it's out on April 27th but is available for pre-order. That's Amazon UK, but I assume it can be pre-ordered on Amazon US as well.

Archie hasn't been to the big Balmoral get together and this one was taken before he was born. At the time it was taken it was a photo of HM an Philip with all their great grandchildren.

Surprised at BBC not announcing coverage yet, obviously they will cover it with plenty of commentary either side so no worries but is odd they are last to announce. Maybe they are waiting for a final run through to know exactly what timings are etc, who knows.

Eugenie's tribute is lovely too, Philip was obviously a superb grandfather.

The Gyles Brandreth book? According to Amazon, it's out on April 27th but is available for pre-order. That's Amazon UK, but I assume it can be pre-ordered on Amazon US as well.

I am looking on Amazon US and so far it isn't listed for pre-order yet, unless I missed it.

Has it been announced which members of the family will be walking behind his coffin?

Charles, William and Harry...I don’t think it’s been officially announced, but all reports have indicated as such

Weren't his children first and then grandchildren going to walk behind his coffin?

Those Balmoral pictures are lovely. Archie wasn't there because he hadn't been born yet and Harry and Meghan never went to Balmoral or big family get togethers before they left for Canada/LA. Archie wasn't actually in the UK very long. It's worth noting that the youngest two never had the opportunity either.

I am surprised by the BBC being really slow about officially announcing coverage. Maybe they're trying to decide how much if any pre programming before the funeral?

I've just seen it announced on Fox News here that they'll start coverage of the funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh starting at 9 AM Saturday. I imagine that other channels will be following suit.

From everything I've read, it will be Charles that leads the procession from Windsor Castle to St. George's Chapel walking behind the Duke's coffin. I imagine that William and Harry will walk with Charles and the rest of the family will follow. Much like we saw them all walking over to the Chapel from the castle for Harry's wedding.

For the Queen Mother's funeral it was Charles, Andrew, Edward, Anne, the then Lord Linley and then her grandchildren of appropriate age and then her own family members (e.g the Bowes-Lyon family) and then members of her Household so I suspect a similar format will be used this time - his children, then his grandchildren, not sure about his own family member for the reasons discussed in this thread, then his staff. Princess Anne "broke protocol" to walk her with her brothers at the Queen Mother's funeral as it was usually only men who walked behind the coffin. I wonder if Philip's granddaughters will do the same?

Pic of the Queen Mother's here
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/A46TDF/me...ind-the-coffin-of-the-queen-mother-A46TDF.jpg

Personally I don't think it will be Charles with his sons but rather all Philip's children then his grandchildren etc but who knows.

I've just seen it announced on Fox News here that they'll start coverage of the funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh starting at 9 AM Saturday. I imagine that other channels will be following suit.

From everything I've read, it will be Charles that leads the procession from Windsor Castle to St. George's Chapel walking behind the Duke's coffin. I imagine that William and Harry will walk with Charles and the rest of the family will follow. Much like we saw them all walking over to the Chapel from the castle for Harry's wedding.

I would have thought more formal and if that is the case it would be children followed by grand children. But other royal funerals have not started with a land rover so I could be wrong. The military have been rehearsing their role so it does suggest a formal walk.
We shall see on Saturday, tissues at the ready.

For the Queen Mother's funeral it was Charles, Andrew, Edward, Anne, the then Lord Linley and then her grandchildren of appropriate age and then her own family members (e.g the Bowes-Lyon family) and then members of her Household so I suspect a similar format will be used this time - his children, then his grandchildren, not sure about his own family member for the reasons discussed in this thread, then his staff. Princess Anne "broke protocol" to walk her with her brothers at the Queen Mother's funeral as it was usually only men who walked behind the coffin. I wonder if Philip's granddaughters will do the same?

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/A46TDF/me...ind-the-coffin-of-the-queen-mother-A46TDF.jpg

Personally I don't think it will be Charles with his sons but rather all Philip's children then his grandchildren etc but who knows.

I just have a feeling it will be Charles and his sons, but I've asked Victoria Arbiter, so we'll see if she knows.

On another note, man, even in her grief, HM always knows the right thing to do. It should never have come to this.

THE Queen has spared Prince Harry’s blushes by ordering no royals wear military uniform for the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral, The Sun can reveal.

The Duke of Sussex had faced the humiliating prospect of being the only senior male in the royal family wearing civvies after losing his honorary ranks.

There was also said to be “serious Navy displeasure” at being dragged into a row over Prince Andrew possibly wearing an admiral’s uniform.

Insiders involved in planning for Saturday’s funeral claim the Queen personally stepped in to suggest all senior male royals wear suits and ties.

A military source told The Sun: “It’s the most eloquent solution to the problem.”

Another source confirmed last night that “current thinking is no uniforms”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14651872/queen-bans-military-uniform-prince-philip-funeral/

^^^If that is the case, good luck to whoever tells Anne she isn't walking behind her father's coffin...

As for no uniforms, well if that is HM's command so be it but all I will say if that for a man so proud of his military links as Philip it smacks of pleasing two rather petulant Princes over everyone else

Last edited:

I don't think anything's going to stop Anne walking behind her father's coffin and I suspect the the granddaughters will be the same.

From what I've read most UK media seem to be expecting Children and then grandchildren, no special Charles, William, Harry. If there was going to be any singling out of the senior line it would make sense for it to be Charles and William or even Charles, William, George since Harry is now 6th in line but I don't think that's going to happen.

Assuming the "no uniforms" bit is true, that's a shame especially since it's not supposed to be about Andrew and Harry's egos. And a definitely shame HM had to be dragged into it. Again I guess we'll wait and see.

Last edited:
You are right it shouldn't have been necessary for her to sort it out.

Nice picture with all their great-grandchildren. I don't think there is a more recent picture including all great-grandchildren; nonetheless, that still wouldn't include the last three as they weren't born yet; so would have been the same group. I don't think there is one including Archie (as they didn't go to Balmoral in 2019; and I doubt they had all of them together any other time that summer); and Philip most likely never met August and Lucas in person.

Last edited:
I got the impression from the information released that everyone apart from Queen will follow the Land Rover. We shall find out tomorrow.

I suspect the no uniform policy, if true, is more to appease Andrew, I think Harry would have accepted not being able to wear one but not the DOY.

I don't think anything's going to stop Anne walking behind her father's coffin and I suspect the the granddaughters will be the same.

From what I've read most UK media seem to be expecting Children and then grandchildren, no special Charles, William, Harry. If there was going to be any singling out of the senior line it would make sense for it to be Charles and William or even Charles, William, George since Harry is now 6th in line but I don't think that's going to happen.

Assuming the "no uniforms" bit is true, that's a shame especially since it's not supposed to be about Andrew and Harry's egos. And a definitely shame HM had to be dragged into it. Again I guess we'll wait and see.

We are all used to seeing the Royals walk down the hill to ST George's church on happy occasions. At a full scale royal funeral in London, there would be the males plus Anne behind the coffin with the females travelling by car to the church. This is something like an 8 minute walk other than the queen, it appears to be the general opinion that everybody will walk behind the coffin. Once again we will all know for sure when it happens.

Wouldn't Harry have been entitled to wear one as a retired/former Captain? I think the bigger issue is that Andrew apparently wants the Admiral rank instead of his current rank.

I love how the queen is looking at Charlotte (and baby Charlotte at her) in this picture.

I do, too. And I think it’s the first picture I’ve ever seen where I though Louis’ profile looks like Charlotte. I normally don’t think they look much alike.

You have my sympathy, Soapstar. I will be burying my own father this Saturday as well, but we will not have to worry about any Covid restrictions. I cannot imagine having to try and do what you and the Royal Family are doing at this time and restrict guest lists so severely that you have to choose which members of your family can go. It just adds an additional element of awefulness to an already awful situation.

I lost my mother to Covid 19 on March 26 and my sister and I decided to have a memorial for her this summer in hopes the restrictions and lock downs have ended by then. The rest of the time our feelings are like a mourning in limbo. I feel for family members that were unable to get closure..it means a lot for the rest of ones life.

Good!I guess everyone will have to redo their predictions for who's in the group of 30 now, or wait until tomorrow when those attending are announced anyway.

Is that 9 am EDT ?

Good!I guess everyone will have to redo their predictions for who's in the group of 30 now, or wait until tomorrow when those attending are announced anyway.

I’m pleased they have been included. The Duke seemed devoted to his sisters and their families. He (and them) just didn’t make a song and dance of it.

^^^If that is the case, good luck to whoever tells Anne she isn't walking behind her father's coffin...

As for no uniforms, well if that is HM's command so be it but all I will say if that for a man so proud of his military links as Philip it smacks of pleasing two rather petulant Princes over everyone else

I think it’s more likely that HM just didn’t have any stomach for it, and I don’t blame her.

On a positive note, several of Philip’s German relatives will be at funeral. This is a lovely article ...how wondering that he was so close to them

All these families enjoy so many precious recollections of the 'Uncle Philip', who thought nothing of popping over to Germany for a christening or a landmark birthday party for the offspring and relatives of his older sisters.

They were the kind-hearted, glamorous quartet of princesses who had doted on their boisterous little brother through an often troubled childhood.

The Duke never forgot that, as I learnt from Prince Philipp of Hohenlohe-Langenburg earlier this year when I was researching the Duke's European family.

'It was such a joy having a conversation with him. His memory was extraordinary,' he explained. 'He could remember playing hide-and-seek in the castle when he was a boy, and he always enjoyed talking to the local people.

'He could switch from German to English and back, whether he was talking about Winston Churchill or the local wildlife.'

In recent days, quite properly, all the focus has been on the tremendous sadness felt by the Queen, the Royal Family and the Duke's vast network of friends and organisations.

But his death has also left a huge hole among the broader continental cousinhood, who all adored the energetic, unstuffy uncle, great-uncle and cousin who always made a beeline for his younger relatives to hear their latest news.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-family-Germany-isolating-Ascot-funeral.html

Is that 9 am EDT ?

It would have to be since that’s 2 PM in Windsor (plus, my cable guide in tv says 9 am - or 9:30 depending on network; I would never watch Fox)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom