Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Margarita's second son, Georg Andreas is still living :) There are also three other de Waela children. Two are boys, so they can't pass it on, but the youngest is a girl, Rubi. Also, Marina of Windisch-Grätz has two daughters, Reka and Sophia Jakabffy, and Sascha Harman has a younger sister, Pascal.

morhange, Thank you for confirming what I had declared in a previous post about Prince Georg. I had also inquired if Prince Georg might attend the service.

The Earl and Countess of Carnarvon have published on the Countesses website a moving tribute to HRH Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh. https://www.ladycarnarvon.com/if/

"Like millions of other people Geordie and I felt inexpressibly sad to hear the news of the death of HRH Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh: sad above all for HM The Queen and her family but also for the loss of such a presence and beacon of energy in national life."

The Countess goes on to talk about what an extraordinary man he was and how many lives he touched in such a personal way. That Prince Philip was of "a generation forged in war and post war trials yet always turned a challenge around to find what was positive and could be done, not with pomp but with action".

There are pictures of the Queen and Prince Philip at Highclere the summer of 1958. The Duke challenged the Lord Porchester, the current Earl's father, to a cricket match in aid of the National Playing Fields. Highclere is home to the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon and where Downton Abbey was filmed.

At the end of the tribute Countess Carnarvon quoted from the poem "If". It really is a lovely tribute.

I'm not supporting Andrew in the slightest, but he can't win. People are inclined to disdain anything he does, with very good reason, and he just doesn't have the presence or manner to change it.

However if he didn't have such a cloud over him, he might possibly come across as more dignified and Edward as more fumbly. Perception is everything.

Tl;dr People like Ed and Sophie so they will like what they have to say and sympathize. People despise Andrew, so they won't.
Prinsara, thanks for calling me out on this. It was unfair of me to compare the two brothers and I’m sorry I did. After reflecting on this I do realize that Andrew’s manner of speaking did remind me of his own interview and that colored my rather terse and flippant comment. I don’t recall ever hearing Edward speak and was impressed with him. There is no way I would be anything but a blubbering mess if I had to speak to the press after my father (who is the Queen’s age) died. It was inappropriate of me to judge; I agree with you that Andrew just can’t win. Thanks again.

I am wondering if the “almost the grandfather of the nation” comment from Andrew will start to shift opinion on him a little, as I think that a lot will echo that thought given his length of service to the country.

I had not seen much of Edward before Philip went into hospital, but the more I see of him, the more I like him. For Andrew, the opposite seems to have been the case for a number of years (pre-scandal.)

I know it's a bit late. MPs (of House of Commons) and Lords (from House of Lords) pay tribute to Prince Philip on Monday 12th April. This was the only sitting for that day.

The Humble Address of condolence to Her Majesty The Queen in the House of Lords started at 1:06pm and ended at 6.59pm. The Lord Speaker Lord Fowler first started proceedings followed by a minute's silence. The Leader of the House of Lords, Baroness Evans of Bowes Park (Conservative), led the tributes. The leaders of other parties later followed: Baroness Smith of Basildon (Labour), Lord Newby (Liberal Democrat), Lord Judge (Crossbench) and the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Hansard (Transcript) | Video | Photos

Summary of Lords' tribute on UK Parliament website: https://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2021/april/lords-doe-announcement-story/

The humble address to Her Majesty The Queen in the House of Commons started at 2:33pm to 10.14pm (based on Parliament live TV). Like the House of Lords, the Speaker of the House of Commons, Sir Lindsay Hoyle first started the proceeding followed by a minute of silence and then pay his tribute to Prince Philip. The Prime Minister (Boris Johnson) first contributed, followed by The Opposition Leader (Sir Kier Starmer), Father of the House of Commons (Sir Peter Bottomley), Leader of SNP in House of Commons (Ian Blackford), former Prime Minister Theresa May, (unofficial) Mother of the House (Harriet Harman) and also Leader of Lib Dem party (Sir Ed Davey).
Hansard | Video | Photos

Some information released prior to the humble address and tribute at 2:30pm: https://commonslibrary.parliament.u...cial&utm_campaign=hoc-business_chamber-120421

At one point, the Deputy Speaker for the House of Commons (Dame Eleanor Laing) have to intervene and tell the MPs to keep their speeches/contributions to less than three minutes each.

Madam Deputy Speaker
(Dame Eleanor Laing)
We are not operating with time limits this afternoon—I hope we can be dignified and find that that is not necessary—but Toggle showing location ofColumn 40if everybody adheres to Mr Speaker’s request to speak for three minutes or less, each and every colleague who has indicated that they would like to speak will have the opportunity to do so.

However, the House of Commons still run out of times, where not all 136 MPs from the call list have the chance to pay tribute. Debate had to be closed at 10:00pm and 5 MPs from the bottom of call list missed out.

It's touching that the qualifying for the Imola Grand Prix has been rescheduled to avoid a clash with the funeral. Sporting fixtures here in the UK have been rearranged, and possibly in other Commonwealth countries although it may not be an issue due to time differences, and Philip was president of the British Racing Drivers' Club, but he had no particular links with Italy. OK, it may have more to do with broadcasters not wanting everyone switching over to watch the funeral than anything else, but even so!

Margarita's second son, Georg Andreas is still living :) There are also three other de Waela children. Two are boys, so they can't pass it on, but the youngest is a girl, Rubi. Also, Marina of Windisch-Grätz has two daughters, Reka and Sophia Jakabffy, and Sascha Harman has a younger sister, Pascal.
My apologies. You are of course correct: her middle child is still alive.

And thanks for the information on Dorothea's (herself a daughter of Philip's sister Sophie) daughter Marina, I consulted 'thepeerage.com' and no husband or children were mentioned for her. For the De Waela-children, only one entrance was found and included in my previous post. So, if I understand it correctly, Clarissa (Dorothea's other daughter) had two more children after Michel, among which a girl.

Last edited:
Do we know if the official guest list will be published before the funeral?

I couldn’t finish the Independent article as I’m not a subscriber, but I read the other piece....GOOD. Gayle King knew exactly what she was doing when she asked such a stupid, disgusting question.

I think the only grandchild’s spouse there will be Kate. I just don’t think Edo/Jack have had a meaningful relationship with Philip— at least one more meaningful than Princess Margaret’s children. Mike and Autumn might not be there either.

Autumn is divorced from Anne’s son Peter so, like Sarah Ferguson, It’s unlikely anyone thinks she will be there.

I truly don't understand why GK or anyone else would even ask that question. He was 99, had been in hospital for a month and undergone an operation then was taken home whilst looking pretty frail.

It should be blindingly obvious to anyone that he wasn't going to be crashing his Land Rover or something more sinister when the announcement says "peacefully". "Natural causes" covers all manner of things.

Lovely tribute from both William and Harry - their words reflected their own personalities. William's more formal and Harry's more informal

Adored the pictured of George and his great grandpa - would have been lovely to see similar ones with Charlotte and Louis

I expect we will see something from Princess Eugenie in the coming days

Are we also still anticipating that the Queen will address the nation on Tv prior to the funeral

I truly don't understand why GK or anyone else would even ask that question. He was 99, had been in hospital for a month and undergone an operation then was taken home whilst looking pretty frail.

It should be blindingly obvious to anyone that he wasn't going to be crashing his Land Rover or something more sinister when the announcement says "peacefully". "Natural causes" covers all manner of things.

Because Gayle King likes to stir the pot and she'll say or do anything to flaunt her "close links" with Meghan and Harry. She knew that his death was caused by nothing more than old age and the things that come with old age but saying so certainly wouldn't cause controversy or generate headlines. She's really no better than the tabloid reporters that her good friends Meghan and Harry love to rail on about.

Re: Gayle King's comment, my take is that she means did he die of a specific condition (eg his heart problem) or was that dealt with and he just died of old age (eg natural causes). I wouldn't read any more into it than that.

Re: Gayle King's comment, my take is that she means did he die of a specific condition (eg his heart problem) or was that dealt with and he just died of old age (eg natural causes). I wouldn't read any more into it than that.
Why did she need to know?

A heart problem/failure would come under the umbrella term of "natural causes" or "old age".

Natural causes or old age are no longer the medical terms and not allowed to be the only terms on UK death certificates, but it's a media term because quite often people don't like to specify for example "renal failure due to diabetes" or whatever to the whole world. Which as she works in the media and has covered famous deaths before, she should know.

That said she probably didn't really think about what she was saying and meant "have they specified if he died of a stroke or heart attack?" But it comes across as pretty clueless and in her case potentially stirring because of her previous antics in the last few weeks.

Are we also still anticipating that the Queen will address the nation on Tv prior to the funeral

I haven't heard anything about that. I remember her giving a speech before the Queen Mother's funeral, but I wouldn't have thought she'd do so this time.

Gayle King's comment was ridiculous. I'm sure she wasn't suggesting that he'd been drowned in a butt of malmsey wine or been shot with an arrow whilst hunting in the New Forest, but why ask such a stupid question at all?

I didn't even think of the Queen addressing the nation. She is a very strong lady but I hope she doesn't do it. I suspect that if anyone makes a public address, it would be Charles.

Gayle King's comment was ridiculous. I'm sure she wasn't suggesting that he'd been drowned in a butt of malmsey wine or been shot with an arrow whilst hunting in the New Forest, but why ask such a stupid question at all?

I don’t see a “like” button here, so I’ll just say you have a wonderful way with words!

I didn't even think of the Queen addressing the nation. She is a very strong lady but I hope she doesn't do it. I suspect that if anyone makes a public address, it would be Charles.

I agree. This is one of those instances where Charles will be truly looking after his mother....If HM wants to speak,I can see him suggesting that he do so instead to spare her the pain and difficulty. I can also see him suggesting, even if HM didn’t mention making a speech, that he give one.

So do I...Philips’s face is priceless ! I’m sure Kate has so many wonderful photos...and undoubtedly Charles and his siblings do as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant see why anyone needs to make a speech and Im sure its not soemthing the queen would consider. Charles and the other children have made statments now and IMO that's enough....

Just dropping in to ask where one can watch the funeral online, on saturday? Sky news' live feed maybe?

Does not seem to be televised in my country.

Just dropping in to ask where one can watch the funeral online, on saturday? Sky news' live feed maybe?

Does not seem to be televised in my country.

I wish I had an answer for you but I actually was wondering the same thing about the US. Anyone know what network we might be able to watch it on?

I wish I had an answer for you but I actually was wondering the same thing about the US. Anyone know what network we might be able to watch it on?

I’m sure CNN and MSNBC will cover it, and possibly the main networks. I normally flip between the first two, but something I found out has turned me off CNN, maybe permanently. I also don’t trust US networks to cover this appropriately, so I’m going to hope that BBC America covers it...maybe PBS

Wow, people are complaining about over coverage of Prince Philip?

The BBC has received complaints about the amount of television coverage it gave to the Duke of Edinburgh's death.
The broadcaster suspended planned scheduling across BBC One and BBC Two to air special coverage after the duke died at Windsor Castle on Friday, aged 99.
The BBC later put a dedicated form on its website to allow viewers to complain about the TV coverage.
Broadcasters such as Channel 4 and ITV also adjusted schedules after the news.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56703437

Last edited:
I’m sure CNN and MSNBC will cover it, and possibly the main networks. I normally flip between the first two, but something I found out has turned me off CNN, maybe permanently. I also don’t trust US networks to cover this appropriately, so I’m going to hope that BBC America covers it...maybe PBS

I'm hoping for BBC America but I haven't heard anything so wasn't sure if they were covering it or not.

I'm hoping for BBC America but I haven't heard anything so wasn't sure if they were covering it or not.

I’m kind of guessing not since it will be on BBC1, which I don’t get, but I’ll post if I find out anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom