Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is still a Ceremonial Royal Funeral so it ordinary times the PM would have been one of the 800 or so people there yes. Even with Covid restrictions it was a likely possibility that the PM would have attended to represent "official Britain"even if he had been the only non family member.

I'm not supporting Andrew in the slightest, but he can't win. People are inclined to disdain anything he does, with very good reason, and he just doesn't have the presence or manner to change it.

However if he didn't have such a cloud over him, he might possibly come across as more dignified and Edward as more fumbly. Perception is everything.

Tl;dr People like Ed and Sophie so they will like what they have to say and sympathize. People despise Andrew, so they won't.

I agree completely. While Andrew is certainly not top of the list for me, if you listen to what he says and sort of box out or step outside of your thoughts about him personally, it was a nice thing to say and infinitely appropriate. Had any of the other three children uttered those exact words everyone would have said it was personal, sentimental, and lovely. But since it was Andrew all anyone can do is criticize. He’s just as much a child of HM and the late DoE as any of the other three and has every right in the world to offer his thoughts and a statement, particularly when it was as thoughtful and sentimental as this one. Andrew can be downright beastly and arrogant as we all know but in this particular moment I’m inclined to believe he’s gotten it exactly right.

I thought that Edward was far more articulate and authentic

When it comes to the death of a beloved father, each memorial, each remembrance, each word uttered is solely unique to the person expressing them. They're not writing or orating on nuclear physics or the atmosphere on Mars but expressing a deep grief over the loss of someone very near and dear to them. Some people don't feel comfortable whatsoever saying anything at a time like this because it's hard to put a sentence together because of overwhelming emotions.

I agree completely. While Andrew is certainly not top of the list for me, if you listen to what he says and sort of box out or step outside of your thoughts about him personally, it was a nice thing to say and infinitely appropriate. Had any of the other three children uttered those exact words everyone would have said it was personal, sentimental, and lovely. But since it was Andrew all anyone can do is criticize. He’s just as much a child of HM and the late DoE as any of the other three and has every right in the world to offer his thoughts and a statement, particularly when it was as thoughtful and sentimental as this one. Andrew can be downright beastly and arrogant as we all know but in this particular moment I’m inclined to believe he’s gotten it exactly right.

I thought he had lovely things to say...I looked at him as a grieving son, not as a problematic former working Royal. I have no respect for anyone tearing him apart and not letting up for even a minute while he’s desperately sad over losing his father.

Yes, I'll look now. it was at an American visit I think. He was speaking to the press or press association type group whose name escapes me now. Queen Margrethe spoke to them once on one of her visits too.

Edit -

this tweet has the part you mention from a meeting with the National Press Club in DC

This was so funny. Thanks for sharing. Philip’s stories were great. He kept the room entertained. Lol

Definitely a tactful move on his part to NOT correct anyone about his first trip to Japan.

This was so funny. Thanks for sharing. Philip’s stories were great. He kept the room entertained. Lol

Definitely a tactful move on his part to NOT correct anyone about his first trip to Japan.

Not only did he keep a room entertained and always had people wondering what would come out of his mouth next but also, the important part, is that the Queen relished the gaffes that Philip would make as it relieved the tediousness and the humdrum routine of so many engagements and appearances that seem to run together into one big blur. Her "Oh Philip!" was secretly her amusement.

I think one of the funniest things between the two of them that I can recall happened once in a very ceremonial aspect (I can't find the reference to this so it's not verbatim and maybe I'm remembering a bit of it wrong) where the Queen was standing there and Philip was in full ceremonial uniform (the Queen's Guard with the bearskin hats?) and as they paraded past their Queen and Monarch, Philip was observed to have winked at the Queen and stated something along the lines of "Hey Babe! How 'bout a date?"

Then again, my memory isn't what it used to be.

I think one of the funniest things between the two of them that I can recall happened once in a very ceremonial aspect (I can't find the reference to this so it's not verbatim and maybe I'm remembering a bit of it wrong) where the Queen was standing there and Philip was in full ceremonial uniform (the Queen's Guard with the bearskin hats?) and as they paraded past their Queen and Monarch, Philip was observed to have winked at the Queen and stated something along the lines of "Hey Babe! How 'bout a date?"

Then again, my memory isn't what it used to be.

That picture apparently turned into a meme the past few days. Apparently they were laughing because there was a swarm of bees attacking the people at the event.

Yes it's very common. You often see in newspaper announcements "Family flowers only please. Donations in lieu of flowers to ..."

I've heard the request many times on TV since Friday and you'd assume that the kind of people keen to leave flowers would be avid watchers of the TV coverage. Regardless of the Covid restrictions, this is a request I suspect the DofE made a long time ago.

Mail Online has an article saying due to covid they are quickly moving the flowers along with video of them hauling them away in vans.

Mail Online has an article saying due to covid they are quickly moving the flowers along with video of them hauling them away in vans.

Yes but I did read somewhere that BP is insistent that even though they are being removed quickly, the family intends to look at all of them, read the cards, etc. which is certainly nice for those who are leaving them. I’d not be at all surprised to find that a few temporary workers have been hired in the next couple of months to respond to condolence cards and letters.

Here is an explanation of who Prince Philip's sisters married.
http://www.tatler.com/article/prince-philip-german-relatives

Somehow it seems to gloss over the whole "Nazis" thing :whistling: But I've come to think it's too simplistic a description of Philip's sisters and their families.

-Cecilie and Don of Hesse-Darmstadt were dead by the time the war broke out.
-Did Berthold of Baden ever join the party, given his family's leanings?
-And was it him, or Margarita's husband Gottfried who was injured very early on and invalided out?

- Christoph of Hesse-Cassel WAS in the SS. But he died. And they put his brother and sister-in-law in concentration camps, and Mafalda of Savoy died like every other Nazi victim: because they stopped viewing her as human. And Sophie was only 15 (!!) when she got engaged and 16 when she married him, which is almost as sobering. I'm not sure what her Hanoverian husband did during the war, but it was probably...less than that.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't see a bunch of fanatical Third Reich supporters, and I'm not saying that just because their mother is Righteous Among the Nations. There's a bit more nuance than "oh, his sisters all married Nazis...PROMINENT NAZIS!"

Maybe James just didn’t want to go. He is old enough to stay home, I believe.

I have heard that originally it was supposed to be Charles and Camilla and Edward and Sophie but then Andrew wanted to go as it is his local church, where he goes most Sundays but they were only having four royals so Charles pulled out and Louise took up the fourth seat. The service also had a lottery type of process for the different groups who live/work on the Windsor Estate.

Someone earlier in the thread said something like they couldn't have both The Duke of Gloucester and Prince Michael and so neither should attend (or that is the way I read it).

I think the Kent's should all be there ahead of the Queen's relatives as they are actually relatives of Philip's in their own right. Princess Margaret's children and the Gloucester's are relatives by marriage while the Kent's are the children of Philip's own first cousin, Marina and it was at the wedding of Marina and George that Elizabeth and Philip had the first opportunity (of which we can be sure) to have met.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm- I never thought about why Philip was asked for DNA over Sophie. (Assuming that’s what happened.) I imagine he might have been the easiest to contact though. They sure knew where to find him.

It must have been a strange trip indeed.

Back to the DNA question:
Not all DNA is created equal. Males have both mitochondrial (female) DNA and Y chromosome (male) DNA representing both their maternal and paternal ancestry. Females, only have mitochondrial DNA, so can only trace maternal ancestry. Philip's DNA allowed for a more complete sample, both maternal and paternal when identifying the Russian family.

I think the only grandchild’s spouse there will be Kate. I just don’t think Edo/Jack have had a meaningful relationship with Philip— at least one more meaningful than Princess Margaret’s children. Mike and Autumn might not be there either.

I'm not supporting Andrew in the slightest, but he can't win. People are inclined to disdain anything he does, with very good reason, and he just doesn't have the presence or manner to change it.

I thought Prince Andrew did just fine, and he has as much right to say his piece as his siblings. I cannot condone what he may or may not have done, and that disastrous trainwreck of an interview on TV, but he is still a grieving son.

But what really interested me, after all this time away, and put him in different clothes and disregard his voice, he's just not familiar any more. If he were on the street, saying nothing, and wearing jeans and a jumper, he would just blend in with any other middle aged man.

Didn't Lady Louise look so grown up?

I had thought Prince Philip would make it to his 100th, but really, it was only his very strong will that was keeping him alive this past year, but so sad. I feel so much for The Queen, having loved him for 80 years. The (royal) world will be less without him in it. RIP.

This is what makes the most sense to me too, Eskimo. Limit the attendees to Philip's actual relations and not include the in-law spouses of grandchildren at this time. I wouldn't be surprised that if restrictions are lifted further as we head into summertime in the UK, there will be a larger, more grand service of thanksgiving and remembrance perhaps at Westminster Abbey on what would have been Philip's 100th birthday with those that could not attend the actual funeral, be invited to be part of.

It's sad to think we were actually talking about how Philip may celebrate his 100th. We didn't expect it to be this way.

I thought that the Wessex children are grandchildren, not great grandchildren, they are the same as William, Harry, Zara and the York sisters? or am I missing something.
You are correct. Louise and James are the children of the DofE’s youngest son Edward, making them his grandchildren. They are just younger because Edward is younger :)

Didn't Lady Louise look so grown up?

She did. But then again, she has looked increasingly more grown up each time we’ve seen her over the past year or two. I’ve said for quite some time now that I wouldn’t be at all surprised if she, along with Beatrice and Eugenie, step in to perform an occasional engagement. I rather hope they do. I’ve always had a soft spot for the three of them and while Beatrice and Eugenie have certainly blossomed into wonderful, accomplished, and capable young women, Louise appears to be very much becoming a lovely cross between her mother and HM. I can’t wait to watch her step a little further into public life over the next few years.

This is what makes the most sense to me too, Eskimo. Limit the attendees to Philip's actual relations and not include the in-law spouses of grandchildren at this time. I wouldn't be surprised that if restrictions are lifted further as we head into summertime in the UK, there will be a larger, more grand service of thanksgiving and remembrance perhaps at Westminster Abbey on what would have been Philip's 100th birthday with those that could not attend the actual funeral, be invited to be part of.

It's sad to think we were actually talking about how Philip may celebrate his 100th. We didn't expect it to be this way.

I initially had hoped that would be possible but the earliest that they will allow large crowds will be June 21st so not possible for what would have been his 100th sadly. https://assets.publishing.service.g...onse_-_Spring_2021___Summary_-_Easy_Read_.pdf

If all goes well step 4 will start on Monday 21 June. We hope to remove all the remaining rules that are stopping people from getting together. Nightclubs will open and large events will be able to take place.

Up until then only 30 people at weddings, funerals or services to remember someone.

PBS is currently showing a Prince Philip special here in the US tonight. Watch live on Monday, April 12 at 9 p.m. EDT/8 p.m CT/10 p.m. PST

To commemorate the death of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, PBS NewsHour presents “Prince Philip: A Royal Life.” The special explores Prince Philip’s life, legacy, and his influence within the royal family, across the United Kingdom and around the world.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/watch-live-prince-philip-a-royal-life-a-pbs-newshour-special

Or stream on UTube

PBS is currently showing a Prince Philip special here in the US tonight. Watch live on Monday, April 12 at 9 p.m. EDT/8 p.m CT/10 p.m. PST

To commemorate the death of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, PBS NewsHour presents “Prince Philip: A Royal Life.” The special explores Prince Philip’s life, legacy, and his influence within the royal family, across the United Kingdom and around the world.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/watch-live-prince-philip-a-royal-life-a-pbs-newshour-special

Or stream on UTube

I do hope it’ll be available to stream on Netflix or Amazon Prime. It’s already 10:30 here so I’ve missed it for tonight but I’d love to watch it.

However if he didn't have such a cloud over him, he might possibly come across as more dignified and Edward as more fumbly. Perception is everything.

Tl;dr People like Ed and Sophie so they will like what they have to say and sympathize. People despise Andrew, so they won't.

I agree with this. I thought that, like William and Harry’s statements, the differences between Andrew and Edward’s comments were more of style than substance.. they were expressing very similar ideas.

They were both commenting on a very emotional subject, and Andrew had the added stress of knowing people would pick apart whatever he said. It would be hard for anyone to strike exactly the right note under those circumstances.

None of the children of princess Margarita is still alive; and the only daughter did not marry, so no female line descandants.

Margarita's second son, Georg Andreas is still living :) There are also three other de Waela children. Two are boys, so they can't pass it on, but the youngest is a girl, Rubi. Also, Marina of Windisch-Grätz has two daughters, Reka and Sophia Jakabffy, and Sascha Harman has a younger sister, Pascal.

Last edited:
Yes, I'll look now. it was at an American visit I think. He was speaking to the press or press association type group whose name escapes me now. Queen Margrethe spoke to them once on one of her visits too.

Edit -

this tweet has the part you mention from a meeting with the National Press Club in DC

HRH could have done stand up comedy in another life. He was really a very funny man.

Depending on bubble arrangements though, that may mean that Bea / Eugenie / Zara may have to sit alone at the funeral which would be very sad. They may decide that those that loved him most (eg grandchildren) should have someone with them to support them in lieu of extended relations. I also think they should treat them the same - if Mike isn’t invited then Kate shouldn’t be either.

We had a whole weekend of tv showing snippets of the Dukes life and a great many annecdotes from people who knew him or met him. Lots of laughs were had and that's what the Royal family will miss the most I believe, is the laughter.
Over 700,000 young Australians participated in the D of E Awards scheme and 8 million worldwide. I believe Prince Edward his youngest son, the Earl of Wessex has taken the Dukes place as President now.
I admit I don't know much about Lady Louise, but you could have knocked me over with a feather when they said she had taken up carriage driving. I just didn't picture her in my mind doing that. I think it is wonderful for her.

I do hope it’ll be available to stream on Netflix or Amazon Prime. It’s already 10:30 here so I’ve missed it for tonight but I’d love to watch it.

Ack, too late...I didn’t see this until nearly 1 am in NY. Sigh. Fortunately, it’s being repeated tomorrow night and Wed. Morning, at least in NY

Just out of curiosity, what network/s will my American friends be watching the funeral on?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom